Temple 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dreakol

Re: Temple 2011

Postby dreakol » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:35 pm

does any one have experience with the area around north 29th street and girard ave?

SpWiseGuy

Postby SpWiseGuy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:52 pm

Don't live there, it's a dump. Look to live in south Philly , north and west suck .

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:20 pm

wooo Temple is 37th in article III federal clerkships according to the rankings released by US News yesterday..they're consistently top 50 in biglaw rankings..another piece of evidence that the school's US News ranking doesn't do justice to Temple's overall stature.

SpWiseGuy

Postby SpWiseGuy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:44 pm

honestly, having a high ranking is nice but it really means nothing. Most law schools are regional outside of T14. Temple is a regional school and even the admissions people will tell you that. In philly, Temple is not only a powerhouse, but the best school in the region besides Penn which doesnt have as much street credit from average lawyers as one may think. Most lawyers in philly really respect Temple as being as difficult to get into as Penn from my experience working as a paralegal. They also look at temple law grads as being more down to earth and working harder to get to the top. Because philly is such a blue collar town, people respect the underdog and for that reason Temple law grads get slightly more respect in philly than Penn grads.

mt1042

Postby mt1042 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Does anyone know when we are supposed to get our @temple.edu email addresses?

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon May 02, 2011 8:08 pm

SpWiseGuy wrote:Don't live there, it's a dump. Look to live in south Philly , north and west suck .

This is right, plus it's pretty far from campus/the subway. Although south of broad st. is the boonies in my eyes.

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Wed May 04, 2011 11:30 am

Accepted to the day class this morning. A little late, no?

Bless

Postby Bless » Mon May 09, 2011 8:54 pm

In off of the waitlist today. I loved Temple when I visited, but I'm set on Villanova. Nonetheless, very happy to be accepted. Had it been earlier, perhaps I would be attending.

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:27 pm

I really enjoyed Temple when I visited, both before and during ASW, and was accepted several months ago. However, another opportonity has come up that I cannot pass up, so I just withdrew from the class. Best of luck to all of the future Owls out there! (Please make sure to flood Broad Street and go crazy for me when the Phillies take home the World Series again this fall!)

Murray

Postby Murray » Tue May 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Bless wrote:In off of the waitlist today. I loved Temple when I visited, but I'm set on Villanova. Nonetheless, very happy to be accepted. Had it been earlier, perhaps I would be attending.

Congrats on the acceptance even though you won't be attending. How did they notify you that you had been accepted off of the waitlist? Did you submit any additional information after you were waitlisted?

Bless

Postby Bless » Wed May 11, 2011 10:59 am

Murray wrote:
Bless wrote:In off of the waitlist today. I loved Temple when I visited, but I'm set on Villanova. Nonetheless, very happy to be accepted. Had it been earlier, perhaps I would be attending.

Congrats on the acceptance even though you won't be attending. How did they notify you that you had been accepted off of the waitlist? Did you submit any additional information after you were waitlisted?

Thank you. I was notified via e-mail, and no, I didn't send them any additional information.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Thu May 12, 2011 3:28 pm

In off the waitlist!!! Waiting for packet to come in the mail. Does anyone know when the deposit is due when you're accepted off and how much it is? Also, what is the safest/best place to live that is closest to campus? or would you reccommend living on campus? Thank you!!!

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Thu May 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Withdrawing and giving back some money. Good luck everyone.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Sat May 14, 2011 9:01 am

I am looking for one more roommate (preferably female) to join us in finding a 4 bedroom place hopefully in Center City or Rittenhouse. Right now, we have myself (male), another male, and a female. PM me if you are interested.

Murray

Postby Murray » Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm

In off of the waitlist on May 31st. Temple has always been my first choice, so I will most likely be attending in the Fall.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Murray wrote:In off of the waitlist on May 31st. Temple has always been my first choice, so I will most likely be attending in the Fall.

Congrats and welcome! We're (mostly) a friendly group around these parts...myself excluded :lol:

The facebook page seems to have sucked the energy out of the TLS Temple 2014 page so I'd recommend requesting to join (there's an informally organized meet and greet on the 15th in Philly, and possibly several more throughout the summer).

It'll be nice to have another paralegal with a few years of WE around school...I dunno why, but us Paralegal to Lawyer folks gotta stick together!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue May 31, 2011 3:28 pm

Murray wrote:In off of the waitlist on May 31st. Temple has always been my first choice, so I will most likely be attending in the Fall.

Congrats on the acceptance!

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm

Are you a PT student??

pfrieden

Postby pfrieden » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:59 am

I'm a recent Temple undergrad graduate and as of now I'll be attending Beasley this fall. Feel free to ask me any questions you guys and gals have about Temple or Philadelphia as I know both intimately. I've lived here all 23 years of my life so I know a few things. Seems there are a lot of unanswered questions floating around out there about safety, geography, what to do, etc.

FYI: I picked Temple over W&L, Illinois, Penn State, Cardozo, Drexel, Villanova, Maryland, GMU, and Iowa. (I am still on the waitlist at Penn though)

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:42 am

pfrieden wrote:I'm a recent Temple undergrad graduate and as of now I'll be attending Beasley this fall. Feel free to ask me any questions you guys and gals have about Temple or Philadelphia as I know both intimately. I've lived here all 23 years of my life so I know a few things. Seems there are a lot of unanswered questions floating around out there about safety, geography, what to do, etc.

FYI: I picked Temple over W&L, Illinois, Penn State, Cardozo, Drexel, Villanova, Maryland, GMU, and Iowa. (I am still on the waitlist at Penn though)

Why'd you pick Temple over W&L??? Because you live and want to work in Philly?

Just curious as I am on there waitlist.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Peace of Mind wrote:
pfrieden wrote:I'm a recent Temple undergrad graduate and as of now I'll be attending Beasley this fall. Feel free to ask me any questions you guys and gals have about Temple or Philadelphia as I know both intimately. I've lived here all 23 years of my life so I know a few things. Seems there are a lot of unanswered questions floating around out there about safety, geography, what to do, etc.

I chose Temple over W&L as well, with a scholarship from W&L to boot (and I loved W&L)...but not even close to a full scholly O_o Competition just got ratcheted up a notch...erm...I mean...great to have you on board! :lol:

Seriously though, congrats and welcome! I know people who have actually turned down UPenn for Temple because their desire to live and work in Philly was that great... the perception (justified or not) of Penn grads is that if they apply for work in Philly, they are biding their time until they bolt for NYC, so why waste the time and resources training them.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 pm

x7227 wrote:
Peace of Mind wrote:

I chose Temple over W&L as well, with a scholarship from W&L to boot (and I loved W&L)...but not even close to a full scholly O_o Competition just got ratcheted up a notch...erm...I mean...great to have you on board! :lol:

Seriously though, congrats and welcome! I know people who have actually turned down UPenn for Temple because their desire to live and work in Philly was that great... the perception (justified or not) of Penn grads is that if they apply for work in Philly, they are biding their time until they bolt for NYC, so why waste the time and resources training them.

Oh yeah... Congrats pfrieden!!!!! :)

Nothing wrong with a little healthy competition :)

I meant to say I'm on the waitlist at W&L lol
I love what I hear about the school, but I love Philly WAY more, still keeping the option open though. It doesn't hurt to stay on the waitlist while I take more time to think about it. I would probably go to W&L if accepted but who knows. I have a pretty good scholly at Temple and my debt wouldn't be as bad as I thought it would be coming out of LS which is good considering I'm not interested in Big Law whatsoever (I would give it up for NDLS in a heartbeat though lol). However, my advisor did tell me to go the highest ranked law school I get into when I asked him for advice (that was literally his whole answer lol) so that's just another piece of advice to consider.

anyone know of job prospects in D.C. coming from Temple? as that is something I have been toying around with.

pfrieden

Postby pfrieden » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Not to enter into any competition but I actually did have a full scholarship offer from W&L which I turned down for Temple. The reasons I chose Temple instead (where I did get a scholarship but only $5K/year) are 1) I love the city of Philadelphia with every fiber of my being, my family is all here, and I don't feel the need to jet off to the backwoods of VA or elsewhere and 2) I ultimately want to live and work in Philadelphia so the perception (as noted) of top Temple grads within Philadelphia is pretty much unbeatable. The general feeling I get from many of the many lawyers I know in and around the Philadelphia area is that Temple actually produces better lawyers than Penn. Sure, Penn kids may have higher LSATs and perhaps even greater brainpower in the strictest sense, but they tend to pale in comparison to Temple kids in their desire to be true litigators and work hard.

Basically I'm saying that if you know for certain that you want to end up in Philadelphia or the surrounding area, go to Temple. Stop vacillating and go get yourself an Owls shirt. If, however, you want to go to DC or some other large legal market, Temple may not get your foot in that door. It is (as mentioned) a very regional school. The reputation of Temple is of a nationally respected law school, but it's not as highly ranked as other schools you guys seem to be considering.

Either way, if you guys end up on North Broad this fall, I look forward to meeting you.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:28 pm

Temple does have NYC and D.C. interview days, in case any of you were unaware. I'll certainly partake in both, especially since I'm from NY and wouldn't mind going back. However, I look at that as just potential icing on the cake. I really like Philadelphia. and would happily work there. In fact, with the lower cost of living, it would probably take a really awesome opportunity to get me out of the city.

But I still won't route for Philly sports teams. :wink:

x7227

Postby x7227 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:45 pm

pfrieden wrote:Not to enter into any competition but I actually did have a full scholarship offer from W&L which I turned down for Temple. The reasons I chose Temple instead (where I did get a scholarship but only $5K/year) are 1) I love the city of Philadelphia with every fiber of my being, my family is all here, and I don't feel the need to jet off to the backwoods of VA or elsewhere and 2) I ultimately want to live and work in Philadelphia so the perception (as noted) of top Temple grads within Philadelphia is pretty much unbeatable. The general feeling I get from many of the many lawyers I know in and around the Philadelphia area is that Temple actually produces better lawyers than Penn. Sure, Penn kids may have higher LSATs and perhaps even greater brainpower in the strictest sense, but they tend to pale in comparison to Temple kids in their desire to be true litigators and work hard.

Basically I'm saying that if you know for certain that you want to end up in Philadelphia or the surrounding area, go to Temple. Stop vacillating and go get yourself an Owls shirt. If, however, you want to go to DC or some other large legal market, Temple may not get your foot in that door. It is (as mentioned) a very regional school. The reputation of Temple is of a nationally respected law school, but it's not as highly ranked as other schools you guys seem to be considering.

Either way, if you guys end up on North Broad this fall, I look forward to meeting you.

I completely endorse this sentiment in its entirety, without qualification. Well put good sir! I award you one internet!

That being said, if any of the regulars around TLS spot this post...duck...quickly...

IMHO 5k/yr is pretty great deal with instate tuition and it made me flat reject full tuition elsewhere. Philly is highly underrated.

Make sure to join the Facebook group as there are several meet and greets being planned including one on the 15th.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”