Temple 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
voltage88

Re: Temple 2011

Postby voltage88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:08 am

Now that the first deposit deadline has passed, do you guys think there is more scholarship money at their disposal from those who did not send a seat deposit? How does this work? I sent my deposit already but if I can negotiate money at some schools that have a later deposit deadline, I'd definitely have to think twice....

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 am

facebook no longer provides the social network excitement it used to when i was still in college but it does offer one very cool thing if you are a freakish fan of certain shows (like fringe...). Join the group and you get updates, sneak peaks, and clips about the show, which is awesome.

also on schollys, i'm not sure if you'll have much luck negotiating at this stage. i would think monies would go to people they are accepting now or have already been accepted but had gotten little or no money. if you've already put in a deposit, the school knows that you have a sure interest in attending. BUT if you do try, please let us know of your results.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:09 pm

Hey everyone, I have a non-Temple related question. I've never rented an apartment in my name before. I also haven't owned any credit cards. Does this mean I'm gonna get rejected by most apartment management companies? I've been paying my student loans since graduating a year ago and haven't been late with them at all. Besides that though, I really have no credit history.

Will I be able to find an apartment?! :(

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:25 pm

voltage88 wrote:.

Will I be able to find an apartment?! :(

Yeah, you'll be fine. You'll likely have to inform some landlords, who might be unfamiliar with student loan programs, of how you'll be able to afford the rent, but other than that most places will be thrilled to have a law student who has his rent paid in full by loans. In fact, you're a safer bet than most working folk, because people can lose jobs, but your loans will be there forever. Which of course is a whole other issue! :P

SFnative

Postby SFnative » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:02 pm

Just got my acceptance packet and was offered Scholly money, this now has really put Temple as a very very strong possibility...

Can anyone describe what the area around the school is like?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:22 pm

I would describe the area around the law school as all Temple, all the time. The campus really big, I was shocked when I saw the place. I mean the whole area is just devoted to the University. It feels very safe. Once outside the campus, its a rough neighborhood, but you'll only be passing through in your car or on the train/bus. There is no reason to ever step outside the campus other than for your commute.

Also, despite the immediate area outside of campus, you can find very nice areas not more than a 15 minute commute from the school. Philadelphia is a big city, but at the same time you can get across town pretty darn quick. That was my take on it, at least.

dreams2308

Postby dreams2308 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:15 am

I got a second complete today. Does anyone know what this entails?

jamcdowell

Postby jamcdowell » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:32 pm

Okay, I have had my application "complete" since 2/14. I'm approaching two months now, how much longer before I would hear something. This is geared more toward anyone who applied to the night program.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:42 pm

jamcdowell wrote:Okay, I have had my application "complete" since 2/14. I'm approaching two months now, how much longer before I would hear something. This is geared more toward anyone who applied to the night program.

Concerning PT applicants, I talked to a few people who are still in review or have gotten in fairly late, and it seems that Temple is asking for a separate statement stating why you want to be in night program. You might as well start crafting a statement now. Good luck. Hopefully you'll be one of the 59 I'll be meeting in the night program.

PleaseBelieve52

Postby PleaseBelieve52 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:03 pm

What up all? Dilemma here.

Just got offer + $$ @ Temple and sent in my deposit. I also got offered $$ at Lewis&Clark (deposit would be due May 1).
Still waiting to hear from 6 schools (wake f, loyola la, mrylnd, cardozo, uc davis - reach, and cornell - reeeaaaccchh) + 3 on 3 WL's. What the heck am I supposed to do?

P.S. I have never been to Philly, but like what I have heard about Temple. Happy to have been accepted!

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:04 pm

LSATclincher wrote:
jamcdowell wrote:Okay, I have had my application "complete" since 2/14. I'm approaching two months now, how much longer before I would hear something. This is geared more toward anyone who applied to the night program.

Concerning PT applicants, I talked to a few people who are still in review or have gotten in fairly late, and it seems that Temple is asking for a separate statement stating why you want to be in night program. You might as well start crafting a statement now. Good luck. Hopefully you'll be one of the 59 I'll be meeting in the night program.

I was recently admitted to the night program and had this sort of email as well. For me, they asked me why I switched from FT to PT in the middle of the cycle (as well as my grades from Fall semester since im a 2011 grad) I think they do it to make sure you arent solely trying to get into the PT program to switch to FT. For me, PT just made sense with my current situation and explaining that I am learning a lot about the legal field because I currently work at a firm so I'd rather continue working there while attending school.

jamcdowell

Postby jamcdowell » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks for the responses. I guess that's a fair enough question on their part, I have no intentions of switching anyway, I want to continue working during the day and I want to make sure I give myself ample study time and not overload myself with courses. I'm too old (in my eyes) to play around and mess up a semester or two like in undergraduate. I have to say, how long did it take before they finally got a response for those that got in the night program?

carrier

Postby carrier » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:48 pm

PleaseBelieve52 wrote:What up all? Dilemma here.

Just got offer + $$ @ Temple and sent in my deposit. I also got offered $$ at Lewis&Clark (deposit would be due May 1).
Still waiting to hear from 6 schools (wake f, loyola la, mrylnd, cardozo, uc davis - reach, and cornell - reeeaaaccchh) + 3 on 3 WL's. What the heck am I supposed to do?

P.S. I have never been to Philly, but like what I have heard about Temple. Happy to have been accepted!

Holy cow you have a lot of research to do. All of those schools (save Cornell) only have a regional placement. Your first decision needs to be where you want to live after graduating. The law job market is still terrible overall, and trying to get a job in a region where your law school has no established network will just make it that much harder. At the bare minimum you should decide on which coast. But even then, you would be struggling to get to LA from L&C, or NYC from WF. This website could help you think about the different schools --LinkRemoved--

If you've never even been to Philly, let alone decided that you want your career to be in Philly, then I'm not sure Temple is for you.

Another good resource from this website on how to look at your decision: http://www.top-law-schools.com/choosing-law-school-economic-perspective.html

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:54 pm

jamcdowell wrote:Thanks for the responses. I guess that's a fair enough question on their part, I have no intentions of switching anyway, I want to continue working during the day and I want to make sure I give myself ample study time and not overload myself with courses. I'm too old (in my eyes) to play around and mess up a semester or two like in undergraduate. I have to say, how long did it take before they finally got a response for those that got in the night program?

It took like a week and a half for them to get back to me once I sent in my information.

jamcdowell

Postby jamcdowell » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:00 pm

oreo3405 wrote:
jamcdowell wrote:Thanks for the responses. I guess that's a fair enough question on their part, I have no intentions of switching anyway, I want to continue working during the day and I want to make sure I give myself ample study time and not overload myself with courses. I'm too old (in my eyes) to play around and mess up a semester or two like in undergraduate. I have to say, how long did it take before they finally got a response for those that got in the night program?

It took like a week and a half for them to get back to me once I sent in my information.

I meant how long did it take for them to even get to you regarding your application status? From original "complete" to the time they sent you a letter asking you regarding why you wanted to be in the night program.

PleaseBelieve52

Postby PleaseBelieve52 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:23 pm

@ carrier Re: et el.
jamcdowell wrote:resource from this website on how to look at your decision: http://www.top-law-schools.com/choosing ... ctive.html

Indeed, it looks like there are some tough deicisions to make. Thanks for the advice! Time to study up this weekend.

- Good luck to all of you on WL's and still waiting to hear from schools. I feel your pain!

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:48 pm

jamcdowell wrote:
oreo3405 wrote:

I meant how long did it take for them to even get to you regarding your application status? From original "complete" to the time they sent you a letter asking you regarding why you wanted to be in the night program.

OH I was complete since 1/14 with no movement literally until April 1st when I got that message. From that point, it took them until April 11th (when I was accepted)

SpWiseGuy

Postby SpWiseGuy » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:39 am

I was admitted to the evening program, I applied on November 2and went complete on nov 3. I got my. Acceptance email on 2/28 , five months later. Expect a long wait

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:02 pm

If anyone is interested in starting a charitable organization at temple law please pm me. I have an interesting concept but I just need a few more leaders to get it started.

dreams2308

Postby dreams2308 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Accepted via status Checker!

Potential (if any) scholarship info through snail mail?

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:54 pm

dreams2308 wrote:Accepted via status Checker!

Yes, scholarship offers come in the admit packet. I'm warning you, they're rather stingy compared to last year.

oreo3405

Postby oreo3405 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:15 pm

dreams2308 wrote:Accepted via status Checker!

Congrats! Are you planning on attending?? Or is it dependent on scholly info?

kristal182

Postby kristal182 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:48 pm

Just admitted today as well!! Super excited!!!!

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:58 am

submitted my 1st deposit today

see you all in the fall

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:45 am

Congrats to all the recent admits. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone and getting the semester started. :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”