Temple 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rs2004

Silver

Re: Temple 2011

Post by rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:28 am

kk19131 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:got a reply from temple on my reconsideration email. basically a polite no.
Whom did you email?
johanne johnston

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:47 am

rs2004 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:got a reply from temple on my reconsideration email. basically a polite no.
Whom did you email?
johanne johnston

I figured.

I emailed her twice and got no response. :lol:

When did she respond?

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:56 am

kk19131 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
Whom did you email?
johanne johnston

I figured.

I emailed her twice and got no response. :lol:

When did she respond?
I sent her the email on 3/14 and she responded today 3/22.
didn't you get a full ride?

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Will be withdrawing. Hope one of you TLS'ers on the WL gets my spot (and $$)!

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:11 pm

jthomas wrote:
Has anyone heard about need-based grants yet?
From what I took away from ASW, the need based grants are called TUG (temple university grant) and you find out about that when you receive your entire financial aid package. If you have received any merit aid you are ineligible for any need based aid.
did someone from the financial aid office say that if you get merit aid, you are ineligible for need based aid? from the website, it says that financial aid can be a combination of merit aid and need-based aid. i am an out of stater and even with my merit aid, it's gonna cost me a lot to go to temple.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Never mind, I got my answer directly from temple law.
Because their need-based grants are very limited, students who receive a merit scholarship are not considered for a need-based grant.
Boo.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:37 pm

also another thing from asw that i thought was very interesting -
during the student lunch panel, i asked if any of the OOSers applied for in-state residency. one student replied that she didn't try. when i asked why, i don't think i got a solid answer. but there seemed to be a general consensus that people won't get in-state rates without buying property. im going to do my due diligence here and research the hell out of this thing to try and beat it.

voltage88

Bronze

Post by voltage88 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 pm

rs2004 wrote:also another thing from asw that i thought was very interesting -
during the student lunch panel, i asked if any of the OOSers applied for in-state residency. one student replied that she didn't try. when i asked why, i don't think i got a solid answer. but there seemed to be a general consensus that people won't get in-state rates without buying property. im going to do my due diligence here and research the hell out of this thing to try and beat it.
Please let us all know. I'm really interested in this as well.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm

voltage88 wrote:
build a compelling application that you intend to remain in PA. from reading the in-state residency application from temple, i got the gist of it. (i.e. do you have a full time offer after graduation, if you have a lease does it extend after graduation.) one can also submit an affidavit of his or her intention to stay in PA. having property and having a PA job are sure ways to showing that you intend to stay in the commonwealth.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

voltage88

Bronze

Post by voltage88 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:02 pm

rs2004 wrote:
voltage88 wrote:
build a compelling application that you intend to remain in PA. from reading the in-state residency application from temple, i got the gist of it. (i.e. do you have a full time offer after graduation, if you have a lease does it extend after graduation.) one can also submit an affidavit of his or her intention to stay in PA. having property and having a PA job are sure ways to showing that you intend to stay in the commonwealth.
I wonder if there are any students who've been reclassified as PA residents..it seems difficult relative to other states, no? UGH good thing is, out of state tuition is still cheaper than most other schools

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:07 pm

voltage88 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
voltage88 wrote:
I wonder if there are any students who've been reclassified as PA residents..it seems difficult relative to other states, no? UGH good thing is, out of state tuition is still cheaper than most other schools
that may be so for this year but i am not so sure about the next two years, which is why i am nervous about temple. thanks to governor corbett, schools like temple and pitt may be getting their funds slashed by half = tuition hikes. dean epps said as much during asw that she probably foresees tuition hikes due to the proposed budget plan. also in my emails from temple, there is a lot of language that indicate they are having problems with funds and will continue to in the future. red flag.

carrier

New

Post by carrier » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

On scholarship negotiation: I e-mailed Dean Johnston on 3/8 and received a reply on 3/22 with an offer for $5,625/ year (over 4 years of part time). I had no merit aid in my initial package, but had a strong reconsideration position with in-state at GMU, admission at American, and $$ from Chicago-Kent and DePaul. Now the Temple price tag is on par with GMU. FTR, 2.95/164.

On establishing residency: I have been very active on this one and have little luck. I grew up in PA and maintained residency through undergrad, left the state for one job, and am coming back. I plan to be in Philly for the rest of my career. I have been in contact with the University Registrar for the past couple months, but they haven't been very helpful. They said that buying a house wouldn't necessarily guarantee it, and that that's a common misconception. There's no one magic bullet. In my case, as a part-time student, having a letter of employment from an employer in Pennsylvania would help (I was planning on teleworking my current job based in DC). Another person in the office told me that going to HS in PA and having family in PA helps. Ultimately it's the total package on that application, so I guess do as much as possible.

cowgirl_bebop

Silver

Post by cowgirl_bebop » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Just withdrew. Hopefully one of you gets my spot! Good luck to those waiting.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 pm

So, I must be the only one who got absolutely no response from Johnston.

:lol:

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Another Temple 1L here happy to answer any questions, although I'd prefer they be PMed so I don't have to go through the whole thread when I check. I'll post both the questions and answers so everyone can see.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:56 pm

Withdrew the other day. Hopefully one of you guys will get my spot and money.

2things2

Bronze

Post by 2things2 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:20 pm

Cosmo Kramer wrote:Another Temple 1L here happy to answer any questions, although I'd prefer they be PMed so I don't have to go through the whole thread when I check. I'll post both the questions and answers so everyone can see.
PMed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

voltage88

Bronze

Post by voltage88 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:11 am

carrier wrote:On scholarship negotiation: I e-mailed Dean Johnston on 3/8 and received a reply on 3/22 with an offer for $5,625/ year (over 4 years of part time). I had no merit aid in my initial package, but had a strong reconsideration position with in-state at GMU, admission at American, and $$ from Chicago-Kent and DePaul. Now the Temple price tag is on par with GMU. FTR, 2.95/164.

On establishing residency: I have been very active on this one and have little luck. I grew up in PA and maintained residency through undergrad, left the state for one job, and am coming back. I plan to be in Philly for the rest of my career. I have been in contact with the University Registrar for the past couple months, but they haven't been very helpful. They said that buying a house wouldn't necessarily guarantee it, and that that's a common misconception. There's no one magic bullet. In my case, as a part-time student, having a letter of employment from an employer in Pennsylvania would help (I was planning on teleworking my current job based in DC). Another person in the office told me that going to HS in PA and having family in PA helps. Ultimately it's the total package on that application, so I guess do as much as possible.
So it's possible to negotiate your scholarship with Temple? Anyone else have any success?

ohhenry

New

Post by ohhenry » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:56 am

Accepted 3/7/11 via snail mail with $22,500 and 2.5 gpa stipulation.
Numbers: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/jbman

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:20 pm

what is the typical rent for a 1 br or a studio in neighborhoods where temple students live around?

Cosmo Kramer

Bronze

Post by Cosmo Kramer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:32 pm

rs2004 wrote:what is the typical rent for a 1 br or a studio in neighborhoods where temple students live around?
Varies by area. Range is probably around $850-sky depending on the building and location (North Philly, Center City, Art Museum, etc.).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

drums!

New

Post by drums! » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 am

Hey all,

For all of you admits, how did you hear about your decision? Does Temple use the status checker or just email or snail mail?

2things2

Bronze

Post by 2things2 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:35 am

drums! wrote:Hey all,

For all of you admits, how did you hear about your decision? Does Temple use the status checker or just email or snail mail?
email.. and checker.. at the same time!

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:17 am

I just got a response to my scholarship negation email... nice increase. :o

She also wanted to "point out" that "tuition for a Pennsylvania resident in the full time day division for the current academic year is only 17,566"... seems like a "now leave me the hell alone" thing to say. :lol:

carrier

New

Post by carrier » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:14 pm

kk19131 wrote:She also wanted to "point out" that "tuition for a Pennsylvania resident in the full time day division for the current academic year is only 17,566"... seems like a "now leave me the hell alone" thing to say. :lol:
She's probably just pointing out to keep in mind Cost of Attendance and not Scholarship Total. Temple's in-state price tag is excellent when compared to its peers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”