U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LeDique

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby LeDique » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:55 pm

dreakol wrote:IR 1/21----> IR 2/09

hmmmmm

I switched to 2/9 too - hopefully this means they like us.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:59 pm

For any other vets out there choosing b/n UW law and other schools, I'd just like to let you all know that the VA there on campus offers an up to 50% tuition reduction for in-state resident vets. I just spoke with a VA representative earlier and it sounds like a sure fire deal and it definitely makes up for the lack of yellow ribbon program participation. $12,000 a year for UW??? Yes, please.

Pretty sure that seals the deal. I mean, sticker at a T14 would almost be insane compared to financing an entire law degree from a T30 for 1/4 of the cost... right?

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:00 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Pretty sure that seals the deal. I mean, sticker at a T14 would almost be insane compared to financing an entire law degree from a T30 for 1/4 of the cost... right?

Absolutely. Congratulations!!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 pm

fencod wrote:Wallingford right now:

(45 degrees btw). This is the middle of winter. There are lots of gray days in Seattle, but we do have breaks from it. I'd say this winter, while cold, has been pretty nice since we have had so many blue sky days.

The hardest thing is in Spring, when you are stuck in class, and the days are getting super sunny and everything is in bloom. It is impossible to pay attention to what's going on inside.

Not to sound too creeper-ish, but that's a nice looking neighborhood! Do you rent a room in a house there, or are those apts? The "neighborhood" system around Seattle is so foreign to me. Wallingford and East Lake are the top contenders for me so far.

Gawd, Seattle is just so gorgeous.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:06 pm

Kinderby wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Pretty sure that seals the deal. I mean, sticker at a T14 would almost be insane compared to financing an entire law degree from a T30 for 1/4 of the cost... right?

Absolutely. Congratulations!!

I think it goes against the TLS wisdom, but from everything I've read and heard about UW, it seems like an amazing choice for practice in the PNW. I spent an hour looking at firms, and it seems like UW grads get a lot of jobs in the SeaTac area, moreso than the top top schools (although, that could be due to self-selection against pNW? Not that I can see any reason why to be honest). I have no real interest in Big Law, though. *shrug*

The sheer amount of people in this thread who get thrilled at the mere sound of UW Law makes me extremely happy about going to this school. The enthusiasm and excitement is, so far from what I can tell, completely unparalleled by any other school to which I have been accepted. There's got to be a reason!

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:16 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Pretty sure that seals the deal. I mean, sticker at a T14 would almost be insane compared to financing an entire law degree from a T34 for 1/4 of the cost... right?

:twisted:

I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 pm

JakeL wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Pretty sure that seals the deal. I mean, sticker at a T14 would almost be insane compared to financing an entire law degree from a T34 for 1/4 of the cost... right?

Even over B? That's the choice on the table atm. =/

The state of California's economy and the UCs in particular make me nervous to say the least.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:25 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JakeL wrote:

Even over B? That's the choice on the table atm. =/

The state of California's economy and the UCs in particular make me nervous to say the least.

Well, probably not Berkeley, but I have no hope of getting into a Berkeley. I also already live in Seattle, so would be simple. That being said, I am likely leaving as I've gotten ~fullrides at similarly ranked schools in different regions. I am not a fan of debt and UG@UW left me in the hole about 20K.

fencod

Postby fencod » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
fencod wrote:Wallingford right now:

(45 degrees btw). This is the middle of winter. There are lots of gray days in Seattle, but we do have breaks from it. I'd say this winter, while cold, has been pretty nice since we have had so many blue sky days.

The hardest thing is in Spring, when you are stuck in class, and the days are getting super sunny and everything is in bloom. It is impossible to pay attention to what's going on inside.

Not to sound too creeper-ish, but that's a nice looking neighborhood! Do you rent a room in a house there, or are those apts? The "neighborhood" system around Seattle is so foreign to me. Wallingford and East Lake are the top contenders for me so far.

Gawd, Seattle is just so gorgeous.

I love Wallingford. Basically, Interstate-5 bisects the city, and Wallingford is to the west side of I-5 as the U-District is to the East side of I-5. There is a strong sense of community here, and while there are a lot of students, it is not a party area. There is a bus that goes all the way through Wallingford and has a stop across the street from the UW Law building.

I have a rental house with 2 friends. We each pay ~$450 a month for rent and ~$90 for utilities (including cable internet) which is a pretty hot deal for the neighborhood. If I get into UW though, I will probably move out sense neither of my friends are in school right now and I don't want to be the guy always having to ask people to quiet down 'cause I'm doing homework.

If I were going to reccomend a neighborhood to someone moving to Seattle for UW, I would say Wallingford and the Greenlake/Roosevelt area are the nicest. I would advise against the U-District not because of the price but because of the noise, the crime, and the general annoyingness of it all. Eastlake can be nice. Capitol Hill is nice too, but very trendy as pretty pricey because of it. You can find some cool places in the Northern end of the Central District, but I would stay North of Union or else the crime level of the area starts to rise. There are buses from all of the places to campus, since UW campus is one of the major bus hubs in Seattle.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:53 pm

Awesome, and thank you.

Do the apartments in the area start leasing in the end of summer, or do you have to wait longer?

I am going to have to start calling around soon probably, because I want to be there by no later than August so I can go about getting all the residency hoops jumped through.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:02 pm

Capitol Hill is very pet unfriendly so far as I can tell. I have a small dog (<15 lbs) so that makes it a bit more difficult.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:05 pm

fencod wrote:I love Wallingford. Basically, Interstate-5 bisects the city, and Wallingford is to the west side of I-5 as the U-District is to the East side of I-5. There is a strong sense of community here, and while there are a lot of students, it is not a party area. There is a bus that goes all the way through Wallingford and has a stop across the street from the UW Law building.

I have a rental house with 2 friends. We each pay ~$450 a month for rent and ~$90 for utilities (including cable internet) which is a pretty hot deal for the neighborhood. If I get into UW though, I will probably move out sense neither of my friends are in school right now and I don't want to be the guy always having to ask people to quiet down 'cause I'm doing homework.

If I were going to reccomend a neighborhood to someone moving to Seattle for UW, I would say Wallingford and the Greenlake/Roosevelt area are the nicest. I would advise against the U-District not because of the price but because of the noise, the crime, and the general annoyingness of it all. Eastlake can be nice. Capitol Hill is nice too, but very trendy as pretty pricey because of it. You can find some cool places in the Northern end of the Central District, but I would stay North of Union or else the crime level of the area starts to rise. There are buses from all of the places to campus, since UW campus is one of the major bus hubs in Seattle.

You ever hit up Kate's Pub? the HH there is the best.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Capitol Hill is very pet unfriendly so far as I can tell. I have a small dog (<15 lbs) so that makes it a bit more difficult.

Small dogs are generally acceptable throughout the city, though it does depend on the building. More and more places are accepting large dogs too. Why someone would think keeping a 60lb dog in their 500 sqft apartment all day is a good idea, I don't know. But people do it.

Edit: Also, if you aren't looking for the U-district itself, then leasing dates aren't really going to have much to do with the term. Apartments are constantly popping up for lease.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 pm

geoduck wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Capitol Hill is very pet unfriendly so far as I can tell. I have a small dog (<15 lbs) so that makes it a bit more difficult.

Small dogs are generally acceptable throughout the city, though it does depend on the building. More and more places are accepting large dogs too. Why someone would think keeping a 60lb dog in their 500 sqft apartment all day is a good idea, I don't know. But people do it.

Edit: Also, if you aren't looking for the U-district itself, then leasing dates aren't really going to have much to do with the term. Apartments are constantly popping up for lease.

Well, I've only been looking at Seattle Rentals.com, and making a list of apartments that will take my small dog. The list is pretty short. LOL... Maybe this resource just isn't a particularly good one. Is there a better, more comprehensive one I should be using?

So far I have: Veco G and C (Central Dist), Carolina Court (Eastlake), Palms Apts (Eastlake), Thomas Street Apts (Capitol), and Overlook at Magnolia (Magnolia).

Those are the only ones that fit my budgeting criteria (b/n 700-1200$) that were on Seattle Rentals and that accept small/any dogs. Any other suggestions are super welcome. :D

I totally feel you on the big dog in small apt thing. There are some tenants here in my current place with big German shepherds and golden retrievers that must be so insanely cooped up in a 600 ft^2 apt. My dog is sometimes kind of cramped (it's only a few strides down the hallway when playing fetch for instance) and he's tiny! LOL.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Honestly? I got my last three apartments here from Craigslist.

SeattleRentals is a decent site and I check it often, but it just so happens that I haven't gotten any hits from it. Rent.com is decent as well, but their selection is similarly restrictive. Forrent.com seems to have some of the most comprehensive listings. But there are still lots of places on the market that don't show up on any of the big sites. Craigslist continues to shine there!

Also, Soundtransit.org is a good site to keep your eye on. It has a great front-end to the King County Transit System trip planner. Just put "43rd and 15th" as your destination (closest intersection I can think of to the Gates building).

ocbrody

Postby ocbrody » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:07 pm

I second the craigslist tip. I would say that a majority of the apartments around the UW that aren't overpriced are in smaller/mid-sized buildings and the owners don't advertise on the larger sites like rent.com.

Seattle is weird in that a really nice apartment building (or house) can be right next door to a tenement. It's not a place where you can rely on a neighborhood being uniformly safe/nice. You really have to drive around and get a feel for the area.

fencod

Postby fencod » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:12 pm

JakeL wrote:
fencod wrote:I love Wallingford. Basically, Interstate-5 bisects the city, and Wallingford is to the west side of I-5 as the U-District is to the East side of I-5. There is a strong sense of community here, and while there are a lot of students, it is not a party area. There is a bus that goes all the way through Wallingford and has a stop across the street from the UW Law building.

You ever hit up Kate's Pub? the HH there is the best.

Occasionally, but I am far more fond of Al's. It's my favorite bar in the city.

Also, to Aggie, another vote for craigslist. I bet most of the places you see in Seattle Rentals are also being posted in craigslist, and CL also is more likely to have houses being leased by their owners or smaller management companies.

xtine

Postby xtine » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:02 am

Huh. So I just noticed that even though it still says Under Review 12/1, under Mailings it says Decision Letter 2/10....!!!!! I hear it takes a few weeks to get here, but still exciting!
Last edited by xtine on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am

xtine wrote:Huh. So I just noticed that even though it still says Under Review 12/1, under Mailings it says Decision Letter 2/10....!!!!! I hear it takes a few weeks to get here, but still exciting!

Yay!

I read more carefully and saw that it could also be a waitlist letter. :( I think I'd rather have a yes or no than be stuck in purgatory for a school I want so much. I should stay out of this thread so I don't fall any more in love with the school, just in case.

lmi

Postby lmi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 am

also DLS 2/10-very excited to see some movement!

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:48 am

I need to stop looking at this forum...it is just depressing. IR 12/1, still no movement. I'm going crazy.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:51 am

lmi wrote:also DLS 2/10-very excited to see some movement!

Woh..... Same. This is intense. UWash is on the short list of schools that would seriously compete with my T14 acceptances. I have always loved the PNW and the school looks amazing.

EDIT: Any 2/10 DLS want to post up their stats? I am a super-splitter + URM. PM me if you are interested in exact stats.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:16 pm

As promised, here are a couple (slightly blurry) pix of the campus overcast. This is Red Square.

sunyoo25

Postby sunyoo25 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:17 pm

Complete 11/30, IR 1/21, Decision 2/1. I still don't have the letter in my hands. I'm going insane.

Seems like they take a while to get the letters out? I probably have quite a wait ahead of me.
Snail mail is sooooo frustrating for us international applicants.
I got sth from another school postmarked 1/27 just yesterday. Took 14 days. Seriously. grrrrr. :evil:

I lived like two blocks from UW for quite a while very recently. I was promptly spoiled with high quality coffee and Thai food. (Seriously, do NOT go to Starbucks. Why would you when there are cafes like Cafe Allegro, Cafe Solstice and Ugly Mug?? And Sureshot has WHITE COFFEE!!)
I miss everything about UW/Seattle soooo much, barring one incident involving drunk college kids and a broken window.

Oh and fwiw, I agree with the craigslist tip and staying away from the U-district. Not so much about the crime imo, but because of the noise. Fire engines ran up and down my street every single night. Not great for law students.

Lookingforanswers

Postby Lookingforanswers » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:20 pm

So from reading some of the previous post, I think it may be a rejection I went IR on 12/1 and then there was no action between 12/1 and 2/9 when they reached the decision. I am pessimistic b/c my LSAT was not great by any stretch and it doesn't seem like they gave my app any second or third look, I will be sure to post if my theory rings true.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”