U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
geoduck

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:13 pm

PinkCow wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
ddawg819 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For anyone familiar with the area, of Wallingford, Eastlake and Green Lake, which would be the best for reaching UW Law via bike?

Eastlake and Wallingford would probably be your best bet. Green Lake is further west from campus than Wallingford is.

Awesome, thanks. :)

Is UW as bike-friendly as the admissions packet made it sound? Coming from Davis, that is a huge selling point for me.

Dude it's Seattle. Riding a bike is pretty much mandatory. +5 points if it's a fixie and you have gauged ears.

Greenlake is totally doable if you get comfortable with bussing and biking. It's relatively (for Seattle) flat north of UW, so biking is fairly comfortable. If you choose Wallingford or something south like Cap Hill or Eastlake, you'll get pretty good at riding on hills if you aren't already.

I'd also consider Fremont if you're interested in the funkier side of Seattle. It's a fairly flat ride to the Gates building from there and the busses are great.

Edit: It's been a while since I've been in Sacramento, but I don't remember it being very hilly. Seattle's a city of 7 giant hills and thousands of small ones, so that might be something you'll have to get used to. It is very very likely that you will end up going uphill both to school and back. So at least when you say it to the grandkids, you won't be making it up.
Last edited by geoduck on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

klhparis

Postby klhparis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:17 pm

My status check now says "Decision" as of 2/9.

Went under review 12/1.

I'm at medium LSAT (163), and at 75% for GPA (3.79). Non-URM.

Really hoping it's an acceptance because it's definitely one of my top choices!
Unfortunately I'm going out of town for two weeks on Saturday so I'll probably be waiting a long time to get that letter :-(

Anyone else have a decision rendered today?

Best of luck to all you guys still waiting!

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:19 pm

I didn't get my application in until January 10th, the posts about them waiting until mid-April to make decisions is troubling...

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions! I appreciate it... I love biking and that is definitely one of my favorite parts of UW (from the literature). Awesome :D

I haven't looked into Fremont yet - I'll poke around today online.

Keep 'em coming!!!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:22 pm

klhparis wrote:My status check now says "Decision" as of 2/9.

Went under review 12/1.

Unfortunately I'm going out of town for two weeks on Saturday so I'll probably be waiting a long time to get that letter :-(

If it makes you feel any better, the letter will take about two weeks to arrive. :D

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Went under review 12/1.

Yay decisions! I think you have a good shot. Are you in-state? Keep us updated!!

klhparis

Postby klhparis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:29 pm

That does make me feel slightly better haha. At least it probably won't be sitting here waiting for me all that time... Plus I live in France, so I think to be on the cautious side I should count on it taking 3 weeks to arrive..

And nope, not in-state... So that doesn't help my chances... But I'm gonna hope for the best anyway!

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:32 pm

klhparis wrote:That does make me feel slightly better haha. At least it probably won't be sitting here waiting for me all that time... Plus I live in France, so I think to be on the cautious side I should count on it taking 3 weeks to arrive..

And nope, not in-state... So that doesn't help my chances... But I'm gonna hope for the best anyway!

I don't want to raise your hopes unfairly, but this is only the second round of decisions so I highly doubt that you would be rejected. I think you'll get in, tbh. Good luck!

You could email them and see if they could send the letter to family or friends in the states so you could hear sooner.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:49 pm

gens1tb wrote:I didn't get my application in until January 10th, the posts about them waiting until mid-April to make decisions is troubling...

I didn't send mine in till Jan 14th, so I'm right there with you. I wish I'd started earlier... but it's hard when you don't even make up your mind to go back to school until October!

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:57 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Thanks for the great suggestions! I appreciate it... I love biking and that is definitely one of my favorite parts of UW (from the literature). Awesome :D

I haven't looked into Fremont yet - I'll poke around today online.

Keep 'em coming!!!

I live on Eastlake. You could easily walk if you wanted (20 minutes) and bike in 5. Really you could live anywhere along the Burke-Gilman Trail (paved multi-use trail that literally wraps around half of the campus)and it would be a super safe and easy bike commute to campus. I also suspect that you can get an annual bus pass sticker for your Husky Card or ORCA card if you are a Law Student for around ~$50. Very convenient and worth it for the rainy days. The transit system in Seattle is fairly efficient.

deja

Postby deja » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Went under review 12/1.

Hey - congrats on the movement! I hope it's good news for you. It's nice to see more of the 12/1 crew moving along

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm

deja wrote:

Went under review 12/1.

Hey - congrats on the movement! I hope it's good news for you. It's nice to see more of the 12/1 crew moving along

Ditto, I hope this means that more 12/1 people will be seeing "Decision." I'm especially encouraged because we have similar numbers, although my gpa is lower (163/3.54). So, if you get in, there is a decent chance that I will as well, given they like my softs. Best of luck to you!

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:41 pm

In Review 12/1 here, no movement. I'm resigning myself to a long wait.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:27 pm

How is Belltown?

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:How is Belltown?

it's a bar/bum convergence zone.

It's more of a place where young people who pretend to have a lot of money like to go out to drink, don't know anyone who actually lives there. I think if you want to live on that side, you'd have a better experience on Queen Anne. Either way, commuting from there to UW is much more complicated due to traffic/bus transferring required. Not really a friendly bike route from there to UW either.

ddawg819

Postby ddawg819 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 pm

JakeL wrote:

it's a bar/bum convergence zone.

It's more of a place where young people who pretend to have a lot of money like to go out to drink, don't know anyone who actually lives there. I think if you want to live on that side, you'd have a better experience on Queen Anne. Either way, commuting from there to UW is much more complicated due to traffic/bus transferring required. Not really a friendly bike route from there to UW either.

Yeah, that would be quite a distance to bike everyday. Approximately 5 miles.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:51 pm

Belltown can be fun, but JakeL's right about the commute. It's going to be awkward to UW. Either you have to get to the downtown core (Bus tunnel around the 5th and Pike/Pine area) or get over to lower queen anne/Seattle Center (around the Space Needle). I wouldn't especially recommend Queen Anne for the same reason, though it's still easier. Capitol Hill and Fremont are similarly or more hip with similar prices and dramatically better bus and bike access to UW.

BTW the bus tunnel goes from the downtown core through Pioneer Square and Chinatown/International District, making all of those areas very UW accessible. Though Pioneer Square has most of the clubs, it also has most of the hobos. Chinatown has less hobos, but I find them more off-putting. Though keep in mind that even the parts of Seattle with the worst crime rates like Belltown, Pioneer Square and the U-District still have extremely low crime rates compared to other cities.

Edit: And forget about Ballard/Greenwood/Northgate. All three are bus-able and bike-able, but relatively long commutes for such a small city. And nobody who lives south of UW campus will want to visit you since taking the bus to downtown or cap hill from those areas becomes impossible really early.

rubbersoul89

Postby rubbersoul89 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:58 pm

My status changed from 'In Review 1/21' to 'In Review 2/9'. Guess they're still thinking, haha.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:47 pm

geoduck wrote:

Belltown can be fun, but JakeL's right about the commute. It's going to be awkward to UW. Either you have to get to the downtown core (Bus tunnel around the 5th and Pike/Pine area) or get over to lower queen anne/Seattle Center (around the Space Needle). I wouldn't especially recommend Queen Anne for the same reason, though it's still easier. Capitol Hill and Fremont are similarly or more hip with similar prices and dramatically better bus and bike access to UW.

BTW the bus tunnel goes from the downtown core through Pioneer Square and Chinatown/International District, making all of those areas very UW accessible. Though Pioneer Square has most of the clubs, it also has most of the hobos. Chinatown has less hobos, but I find them more off-putting. Though keep in mind that even the parts of Seattle with the worst crime rates like Belltown, Pioneer Square and the U-District still have extremely low crime rates compared to other cities.

Edit: And forget about Ballard/Greenwood/Northgate. All three are bus-able and bike-able, but relatively long commutes for such a small city. And nobody who lives south of UW campus will want to visit you since taking the bus to downtown or cap hill from those areas becomes impossible really early.

This is all fantastic, thank you so much.

It really seems like UW is a really great family school, meaning that students feel like they have strong ties to the school while they're there and after they graduate and that is very important to me.

Alright, so for right now I am looking at East Lake, Capitol Hill, Fremont, and Pioneer Square along with the University District. Since we have a small dog, it's kind of more difficult to find affordable housing (looking to decrease my current rent from $1400/mo to something more like $700-750/mo) that accepts pets besides cats. We're going to head up there for a weekend trip pretty soon to check it out first hand but so far UW is so far out in front of every school I've been accepted to (mostly because of the atmosphere and the cost is nigh untouchable in terms of affordability for 2L/3L + CoL). I can see why people defend it so much. The campus is jaw-dropping from the pictures, I can only imagine how gorgeous it is in person. :D

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:02 pm

UW is georgeous, that's for sure. How many rooms are you looking for for that rate? Capitol Hill has the advantage of having lots of park space for walking your dog (and a couple off leash areas), but Fremont has a lot of greenspace as well.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:04 pm

rubbersoul89 wrote:My status changed from 'In Review 1/21' to 'In Review 2/9'. Guess they're still thinking, haha.

D'oh :( Also 'In Review 1/21' and no movement today...

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 pm

Oh God! Status checker just changed to decision!

How long should it take for the letter to reach me, given that I live just 4 miles from UW?

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Adjudicator wrote:Oh God! Status checker just changed to decision!

How long should it take for the letter to reach me, given that I live just 4 miles from UW?

Dude, good luck. I'm sending positive vibrations your way.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:52 pm

just wait for a postman to leave the admissions office and mug him or something haha

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 pm

Congrats Adjudicator!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”