U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:13 am

chicityteacher wrote:This is all very exciting news. Congratulations to you all.

But now I am just even more confused as to why I haven't gotten any word yet (in review 12/1). I haven't been accepted, but it appears they have also been sending out rejections.

Now I'm thinking -- perhaps waitlist? What are they waiting for?


it'd help to know what your #'s look like, but you can't think that ONLY this wave of decisions are admissions... No school to date that I've worked with (and I applied to 19 of them) has only had one wave of acceptances. True, "auto admits" seem to get the nod fast, and if that's the case, perhaps you're just not an "auto admit" but it's way too early to be worried. They barely started w/ decisions. Relax :)

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:15 am

tsutsik wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Was anyone else missing the "scholarship form" that the letter said was in the folder, but wasn't?


Yes. There's a form on their admission website. I was assuming (perhaps wrongly) that that's it.


Ah, OK, that's it. Thanks...

But that does not explain why they said it was enclosed and it wasn't enclosed! Grrr.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Bumi » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:23 am

chicityteacher wrote:This is all very exciting news. Congratulations to you all.

But now I am just even more confused as to why I haven't gotten any word yet (in review 12/1). I haven't been accepted, but it appears they have also been sending out rejections.

Now I'm thinking -- perhaps waitlist? What are they waiting for?


My app was final at UW in October and I got my decision today. It is way, way, way too soon for you to be worried about UW. They are just on a slower schedule.

montskibum
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby montskibum » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:04 am

Perhaps I can ease some of your collective concerns regarding admissions at UW. I knew some people in admissions when I was a student. From what I understand the admissions process at UW takes some time. I'm not sure why their process may be more delayed than at other schools - maybe they devote more effort than other schools to looking at the entirety of an application, or maybe you can simply chalk it up to a public institution's bureaucratic process. Either way, as I'm sure you're all aware, there is an early round of admissions and rejections. These decisions are coming out about now and will probably continue for a while (just how long, I don't know). When Admissions has an idea of how the class is shaping up based on its preliminary round of letters and the acceptances or withdrawals of applicants, it sends the remainder of the applications (all of which are very strong) to a committee that takes a very close look at each application and assigns it a score. High scores get offers, middle scores get waitlists, and low scores get the last of the rejections. This committee probably won't begin looking at the second round of applications until LATE MARCH. So, try not to worry about it too much 'cause there is still a lot going on behind the scenes at the UW to try to generate the best law student class (based on more than just numbers).

Also, to clarify any confusion that any of you may still have about residency: Law students can apply for a tuition fee waiver at the end of their first year that reduces tuition to in-state tuition levels. This waiver allows people who move to Washington to go to school (and therefore can't meet residency requiremetns) to get in-state tuition after their first year. But you still have to meet the other residency requirements - so make sure to get your license, register to vote, and get a cable bill ASAP.

Finally, may I just say that you will be hard-pressed to find a better mix of locale, community, study environment, academics, and low price than that offered at UW. I passed up higher ranked schools to attend the UW and though I sometimes question my career choice, I have never regretted my choice of law schools.

Good night and good luck.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby dreakol » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:17 am

I have always hated the whole maybe they look beyond the numbers argument as to why schools take a long time.

f-that. I cant imagine it taking longer then 1 hour to review a couple pieces of paper. They are just slow.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:26 am

montskibum wrote:Perhaps I can ease some of your collective concerns regarding admissions at UW. I knew some people in admissions when I was a student. From what I understand the admissions process at UW takes some time. I'm not sure why their process may be more delayed than at other schools - maybe they devote more effort than other schools to looking at the entirety of an application, or maybe you can simply chalk it up to a public institution's bureaucratic process. Either way, as I'm sure you're all aware, there is an early round of admissions and rejections. These decisions are coming out about now and will probably continue for a while (just how long, I don't know). When Admissions has an idea of how the class is shaping up based on its preliminary round of letters and the acceptances or withdrawals of applicants, it sends the remainder of the applications (all of which are very strong) to a committee that takes a very close look at each application and assigns it a score. High scores get offers, middle scores get waitlists, and low scores get the last of the rejections. This committee probably won't begin looking at the second round of applications until LATE MARCH. So, try not to worry about it too much 'cause there is still a lot going on behind the scenes at the UW to try to generate the best law student class (based on more than just numbers).

Also, to clarify any confusion that any of you may still have about residency: Law students can apply for a tuition fee waiver at the end of their first year that reduces tuition to in-state tuition levels. This waiver allows people who move to Washington to go to school (and therefore can't meet residency requiremetns) to get in-state tuition after their first year. But you still have to meet the other residency requirements - so make sure to get your license, register to vote, and get a cable bill ASAP.

Finally, may I just say that you will be hard-pressed to find a better mix of locale, community, study environment, academics, and low price than that offered at UW. I passed up higher ranked schools to attend the UW and though I sometimes question my career choice, I have never regretted my choice of law schools.

Good night and good luck.


I know I said I was going to stay out of this thread, but I failed. Great post! Thanks for sharing this. Although, if I have to wait until March to hear anything from UW, I might lose my mind.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby geoduck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:35 am

+1 on waiting insanity. My wife has a great job here in Seattle, but it isn't good enough to choose SU over... Well any of my other applications. I'm going to go insane if I have to wait until March to decide if we'll be staying in Washington or not.

User avatar
deja
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby deja » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:41 am

montskibum wrote:...

This committee probably won't begin looking at the second round of applications until LATE MARCH. So, try not to worry about it too much 'cause there is still a lot going on behind the scenes at the UW to try to generate the best law student class (based on more than just numbers).

...

Good night and good luck.


First, I wanted to say thank you, and let you know it was a great post, montskibum.

Second, I wanted to provide another witness of what you're saying (and possibly let all of TLS in on the depth of how neurotic I am about this whole process).

I played around with some of the numbers from last year's acceptance dates on LSN to see what I was going to be looking at in terms of waiting. I chose only last year, even though it would leave me with a small sample, because I thought that would be most likely to be most representative of what would happen this year.

I found that of the people who reported dates they received their decision, it broke down like this:

Roughly 9 percent got them in January, 28 percent in Feb., 41 percent in March, and 18 percent in April. Those who did get them in March tended (roughly 2/3 of them) to get them in the last two weeks of the month. (The numbers don't add up to 100 because I left out the later months, which seemed to have a minority comprised of unusual circumstances.)

So, from this we can draw two conclusions: 1) montskibum is right, statistically speaking, that a large number of us will be waiting until the end of March and, 2) the depth of my obsession with law school admissions voodoo magic is astonishing...

I recognize my methodology is horribly flawed just because the sample size is tiny, and has self-selection bias issues, but it's worth sharing, right? Thanks for humoring me. :D

User avatar
berkeleyman
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby berkeleyman » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 am

well done deja, I too can only marvel at the powerful demon magics that law schools employ.

jwmalone87
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:47 am

They do realize that many schools have deposit deadlines on 4/15, right? :? Maybe they're counting on all the people not 100% committed to matriculating on having withdrawn, boosting some USNWR stat or somesuch.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:32 am

Not to alarm people but they did keep a decent number of us waiting right up to April 1st last year. :(

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:27 am

god, that's insanity. especially since UW is a reach for me. =(

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Kinderby » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:34 am

I'm just going to go ahead and cry now.

I feel like I'm going to have to fork over a deposit somewhere else "just in case". Deja, I am truly impressed by your astonishing skilz at law school voodoo magic application review process interpretation.

That should be your new 'tar! A bar graph of when UDub lets people in, :D

User avatar
apaint
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby apaint » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:02 am

Anyone know when you have to be admitted by to have your Gates PSL application reviewed?

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby masochist » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:00 pm

In via mail yesterday. I also did not get the "enclosed scholarship letter," but I think I'll probably be turning down the offer regardless.

Good luck all.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby snapdragon » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:09 pm

masochist wrote:In via mail yesterday. I also did not get the "enclosed scholarship letter," but I think I'll probably be turning down the offer regardless.

Good luck all.


Congrats masochist and best of luck with the rest of the cycle!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:54 pm

For anyone familiar with the area, of Wallingford, Eastlake and Green Lake, which would be the best for reaching UW Law via bike?

ddawg819
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby ddawg819 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:56 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For anyone familiar with the area, of Wallingford, Eastlake and Green Lake, which would be the best for reaching UW Law via bike?


Eastlake and Wallingford would probably be your best bet. Green Lake is further west from campus than Wallingford is.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 pm

ddawg819 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For anyone familiar with the area, of Wallingford, Eastlake and Green Lake, which would be the best for reaching UW Law via bike?


Eastlake and Wallingford would probably be your best bet. Green Lake is further west from campus than Wallingford is.


Awesome, thanks. :)

Is UW as bike-friendly as the admissions packet made it sound? Coming from Davis, that is a huge selling point for me.

User avatar
rs2004
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:10 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby rs2004 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:00 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
ddawg819 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For anyone familiar with the area, of Wallingford, Eastlake and Green Lake, which would be the best for reaching UW Law via bike?


Eastlake and Wallingford would probably be your best bet. Green Lake is further west from campus than Wallingford is.


Awesome, thanks. :)

Is UW as bike-friendly as the admissions packet made it sound? Coming from Davis, that is a huge selling point for me.


that would be amazing....not reliant on cars now, hope not to be reliant in the future!
Last edited by rs2004 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby PinkCow » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
ddawg819 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:For anyone familiar with the area, of Wallingford, Eastlake and Green Lake, which would be the best for reaching UW Law via bike?


Eastlake and Wallingford would probably be your best bet. Green Lake is further west from campus than Wallingford is.


Awesome, thanks. :)

Is UW as bike-friendly as the admissions packet made it sound? Coming from Davis, that is a huge selling point for me.



Dude it's Seattle. Riding a bike is pretty much mandatory. +5 points if it's a fixie and you have gauged ears.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:04 pm


User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby PinkCow » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:06 pm

akili wrote:http://www.hulu.com/watch/210889/portlandia-bike-rider



Exactly what I was thinking. But, it's still completely true.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:11 pm

PinkCow wrote:
akili wrote:http://www.hulu.com/watch/210889/portlandia-bike-rider



Exactly what I was thinking. But, it's still completely true.


Haha, it really is.

User avatar
Flett
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Flett » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Is UW as bike-friendly as the admissions packet made it sound? Coming from Davis, that is a huge selling point for me.


Very much so. I went to UW for undergrad ( <3 ) and biking is definitely the way to go if you can.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dianersg, lillawyer2, mccracal, nubcs, proteinshake and 12 guests