U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whitman

Silver

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:52 pm

rs2004 wrote:
whitman wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
whitman wrote:Does anyone think it's a bad idea to email them and inform them about acceptances to Penn, Texas, Georgetown, etc, reinforce my desire to attend UW and ask them about merit-based scholarships?
only if you are willing to state that UW is your #1 choice and you will forego all your other acceptances to go to UW.

if you do anything less, the school might just interpret the name dropping as your way to see if you can get money and not consider UW as a serious choice.
But why would I borther just accruing scholarship money if I had no intention of going?
meant more like, seeing how much money you would get from UW and comparing with other schools' aid, then making your choice.
Yeah, well that's what I do want to do, so I hate to mislead them.

xtine

Bronze

Post by xtine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:02 pm

whitman wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
whitman wrote:
only if you are willing to state that UW is your #1 choice and you will forego all your other acceptances to go to UW.

if you do anything less, the school might just interpret the name dropping as your way to see if you can get money and not consider UW as a serious choice.
But why would I borther just accruing scholarship money if I had no intention of going?
meant more like, seeing how much money you would get from UW and comparing with other schools' aid, then making your choice.
Yeah, well that's what I do want to do, so I hate to mislead them.[/quote]

On the other hand... what's the harm? What can anybody do if you end up going somewhere else? Things come up and people change their minds.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:08 pm

But why would I borther just accruing scholarship money if I had no intention of going?[/quote]

meant more like, seeing how much money you would get from UW and comparing with other schools' aid, then making your choice.[/quote]

Yeah, well that's what I do want to do, so I hate to mislead them.[/quote]

i didnt see that you were already accepted by UW, which changes everything i said. yea i would tell them about your other acceptances and if you got any money from them, and see what they're willing to shell out. i think its a commonplace tactic.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Today was a really beautiful, clear day and I took some pictures. They're not of the school, but I thought that some of you who are not from around here might like to see this.

A view of the Olympic mountain range that always takes my breath away (when it is clear enough to actually see it):

The Olympic mountains again, across Puget Sound, from Carkeek Park:

The beach at Carkeek Park, one of my favorite places in North Seattle:

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:47 pm

Gorgeous. Ugh, I love Seattle/the NW

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

divca10

New

Post by divca10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:03 pm

UW's location definitely moves it quite a few spots up the list.
Last edited by divca10 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 pm

akili wrote:Gorgeous. Ugh, I love Seattle/the NW
It's breathtaking. I need to stop reading this forum, because every time I see something like this or read all of your over-the-top Seattle patriotism, it means my heart will break even more if I don't get in...

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:11 pm

Wow. Thanks for the pics, adjudicator. Really, really beautiful. I miss Seattle that much more.

There is a CRAZY blizzard going on in Chicago right now. In fact, they just closed Chicago Public Schools tomorrow because of snow. First snow day in 12 years. On the bright side, I don't have to teach tomorrow, so I can sit around and refresh my statuses.

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:12 pm

deja wrote:
It's breathtaking. I need to stop reading this forum, because every time I see something like this or read all of your over-the-top Seattle patriotism, it means my heart will break even more if I don't get in...

I was just thinking the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:14 pm

deja wrote:
Your post just made me want to give you a hug.

Also, last Spring Break I went backpacking on the Olympic Peninsula (lol Twilight country)..I'll just leave these here
--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm

these pictures are so beautiful. they are calling to me.

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:28 pm

Oh man, I have so many pictures of the Olympic Peninsula. Don't get me started. Among other things I went to Ruby Beach (a few miles from Forks) at 6 AM and took a ton of pictures. It was really foggy. Also have some of Pacific Beach.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:31 pm

It was so gorgeous there! We started at Port Angeles and hiked down to First Beach/La Push. Forks was hilarious. They really went with the whole Twilight angle.

It was the most beautiful place I've ever been. I hold no resentment for the extreme food poisoning I got and my awful night of puking on a beach. THAT'S how much I love it. :)

This thread is totally pulling me back to UW...plz give scholarships this year!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:36 pm

akili wrote:It was so gorgeous there! We started at Port Angeles and hiked down to First Beach/La Push. Forks was hilarious. They really went with the whole Twilight angle.

It was the most beautiful place I've ever been. I hold no resentment for the extreme food poisoning I got and my awful night of puking on a beach. THAT'S how much I love it. :)

This thread is totally pulling me back to UW...plz give scholarships this year!
No doubt, the Olympic Peninsula is the most beautiful place on Earth. I have pictures of the Hoh Rain Forest that would make your eyes bleed.

And yeah, the city of Forks has really jumped on the Twilight phenomenon as a tourist attraction; I think driving down the main street of Forks I saw like 3 store fronts that had something to do with Twilight, and signs advertising Twilight tours. And the Thriftway store has sandwiches named after Twilight characters.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:40 pm

Lol this thread has gotten out of control

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Haha yeah, I laughed so hard I cried when we entered "Werewolf territory" by crossing the "treaty line" ROFL.

Also, Seattle has a WICKED ultimate frisbee scene that I would love to be a part of (probably post-grad, but still!)

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't want to derail this thread, or torment any of the people who are stressing about getting in (including myself), so I'll save my pictures of the Olympic Peninsula for the admitted students' thread. (Assuming I'm in :|)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I don't think I'll get in so I have to post here, ha. This is from my family's home in Sequim.

--ImageRemoved--

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:51 pm

What makes you think you won't get in?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:53 pm

chicityteacher wrote:What makes you think you won't get in?
If you're asking me, I guess it's just the fact that I haven't heard anything yet and my status checker hasn't moved for months. They must not be very excited by my application.

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:59 pm

According to the law school predictor websites, I'm around a 50% chance. I'm not a WA resident according to UW and I have a ding on my character and fitness. We'll see though. I spent my childhood in Federal Way and my teenage years in Sequim. Since high school I've spent my time in Texas, Utah, Hawaii & Scotland but Seattle's the best.

Edit: I'm 165/3.6.
Last edited by sabenser on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
If you're asking me, I guess it's just the fact that I haven't heard anything yet and my status checker hasn't moved for months. They must not be very excited by my application.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat, but I feel like we aren't out of the game yet. Looking at the numbers, last year UW sent the vast majority of their acceptances in the month of February. This was also the month when the majority of rejections were sent, but I still think there is hope.

Sabenser-

On one of your other posts you said you were above the median. So, maybe a 164? 165? Is that right? If that is the case, I feel like you have better than a 50/50. Unless the "ding" against your character is somewhat substantial.

Sorry to stalk...I'm just trying to keep track of people with better numbers than I have so that I have an idea of my own chances. If there is no hope for you guys, there certainly isn't any for me.

I'm starting to think I spend too much time on these forums.
Last edited by chicityteacher on Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
Sitting here in the 12/1 not moving crowd is really a ding on the ol' morale.

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:22 pm

sabenser wrote:
Definitely better than 50/50, I think. If you do only have a 50/50, than my chances are worse than I thought...

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:34 pm

chicityteacher wrote:
sabenser wrote:
Definitely better than 50/50, I think. If you do only have a 50/50, than my chances are worse than I thought...
I think UW is one of the schools that is tough to predict. I know most schools talk about having a holistic process and about looking at the applicant in their entirety, but based on acceptances on LSN from years past it is apparent UW actually means it.

That fact is both comforting and terrifying, as it makes it an unsure process for almost everyone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”