U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whitman

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:26 pm

akili wrote:Yeah, look on LSN for last cycle. Only like 4 people got scholarships and they were all URM.

So depressing.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Wow I'm blown away by all the love and suppport! :))

No scholly info... and tbh, I wasn't expecting any (Since I don't exactly have bunker buster numbers for them besides my GPA [ what else is new ] ). But, their total CoA even for OOS (32k vs 39k) is less than Hastings and after 1L I qualify for WA residency which drops tuition to 22k. That is dirt cheap for the quality of program UW has not that I need to tell any of you that!!

I am realllllly hoping my Gates PSL comes through. That'll really clinch it for me. Right now it's a complex equation and I honestly can't say which direction I am leaning at the moment b/n Hastings & UW. But I LOVE UW and I really want to go visit (and will 100% do so before making a final decision).

Hope someone else gets mail soon!!!!

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:36 pm

haha just remembered i had a dream last nite where my UW status checker changed to decision letter sent only to have it disappear.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:40 pm

SingleURMDad wrote:I will say that African Americans only constitute 8-10 percent of law students and practicing lawyers and that is unacceptable by any measure.

Well said.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow I'm blown away by all the love and suppport! :))

No scholly info... and tbh, I wasn't expecting any (Since I don't exactly have bunker buster numbers for them besides my GPA [ what else is new ] ). But, their total CoA even for OOS (32k vs 39k) is less than Hastings and after 1L I qualify for WA residency which drops tuition to 22k. That is dirt cheap for the quality of program UW has not that I need to tell any of you that!!

I am realllllly hoping my Gates PSL comes through. That'll really clinch it for me. Right now it's a complex equation and I honestly can't say which direction I am leaning at the moment b/n Hastings & UW. But I LOVE UW and I really want to go visit (and will 100% do so before making a final decision).

Not to rain on your parade, but I just wanted to make sure that you understand that even though living in Seattle is cheaper than SF, it's still very expensive. A decent 2BR is probably $1300 a month. I'm not sure what your background is but everything is pretty expensive up here!

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pumped about UW as well. I can only hope to be accepted. I'm just very concerned that they don't offer the same amount of scholarship as many of their peer schools, which actually makes it much more expensive...

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:10 pm

JakeL wrote:

Not to rain on your parade, but I just wanted to make sure that you understand that even though living in Seattle is cheaper than SF, it's still very expensive. A decent 2BR is probably $1300 a month. I'm not sure what your background is but everything is pretty expensive up here!

Don't get me wrong, I'm very pumped about UW as well. I can only hope to be accepted. I'm just very concerned that they don't offer the same amount of scholarship as many of their peer schools, which actually makes it much more expensive...

a 2BR is 1300? that is super super super cheap

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:23 pm

rs2004 wrote:
JakeL wrote:

LOL are you from LA/SF/NYC? I should have said a decent deal on a 2BR. Just check out C-list...

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:28 pm

JakeL wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
JakeL wrote:

LOL are you from LA/SF/NYC? I should have said a decent deal on a 2BR. Just check out C-list...

i am from nyc. i pay more than that for a studio.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:34 pm

akili wrote:Yeah, look on LSN for last cycle. Only like 4 people got scholarships and they were all URM.

It looks to me as though eight applicants received scholarships in the last cycle and four of them were URM. Of course, in the two cycles before that there were three scholarships combined.

divca10

Postby divca10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Move the Clippers to Seattle, rename them the Sonics, and I'm sold.
Last edited by divca10 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xtine

Postby xtine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:54 pm

chicityteacher wrote:
SingleURMDad wrote:I will say that African Americans only constitute 8-10 percent of law students and practicing lawyers and that is unacceptable by any measure.

Well said.

Agree. Do you think it's for lack of acceptances or lack of applications that the percentage is low?

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm

xtine wrote:
chicityteacher wrote:

Well said.

Agree. Do you think it's for lack of acceptances or lack of applications that the percentage is low?

This article came out last night (late) and honestly, it is the most interesting fact-based discussion on diversity and the LSAT to date.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202479662328

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Does anyone think it's a bad idea to email them and inform them about acceptances to Penn, Texas, Georgetown, etc, reinforce my desire to attend UW and ask them about merit-based scholarships?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

whitman wrote:Does anyone think it's a bad idea to email them and inform them about acceptances to Penn, Texas, Georgetown, etc, reinforce my desire to attend UW and ask them about merit-based scholarships?

only if you are willing to state that UW is your #1 choice and you will forego all your other acceptances to go to UW.

if you do anything less, the school might just interpret the name dropping as your way to see if you can get money and not consider UW as a serious choice.

SingleURMDad

Postby SingleURMDad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Yeah but there are 3-4 times the amount of african americans that are incarcerated or are involved in child dependancy cases alone not to mention the number of cases in civil court that could and should be brought on behalf of african americans due to predatory and descriminatory victimization so the "utilization" of the system is not congruent with the population percentages so thats where the inequality lies. By the way let me be more specific about the numbers. As of 2009:

Black law students
7% and falling

Black us citizens
13% and rising

URM lawyers (including all URM like latino, black, native american, etc combined)
Less then 7%

Black persons incarcerated
40%

Black Families involved in dependancy cases (children removed from home and placed in foster care)
40%

And these are just two areas in the legal profession that i know of and that the numbers are readily available. What about predatory lending (houses or cars etc.), or job descrimimation, or medical malpractice, or insurance coverage inequality, etc etc?

Does that seem "about right" to you?

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:22 pm

rs2004 wrote:
whitman wrote:Does anyone think it's a bad idea to email them and inform them about acceptances to Penn, Texas, Georgetown, etc, reinforce my desire to attend UW and ask them about merit-based scholarships?

only if you are willing to state that UW is your #1 choice and you will forego all your other acceptances to go to UW.

if you do anything less, the school might just interpret the name dropping as your way to see if you can get money and not consider UW as a serious choice.

But why would I borther just accruing scholarship money if I had no intention of going?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:23 pm

SingleURMDad wrote:Yeah but there are 3-4 times the amount of african americans that are incarcerated or are involved in child dependancy cases alone not to mention the number of cases in civil court that could and should be brought on behalf of african americans due to predatory and descriminatory victimization so the "utilization" of the system is not congruent with the population percentages so thats where the inequality lies. By the way let me be more specific about the numbers. As of 2009:

Black law students
7% and falling

Black us citizens
13% and rising

URM lawyers (including all URM like latino, black, native american, etc combined)
Less then 7%

40%

Black Families involved in dependancy cases (children removed from home and placed in foster care)
40%

And these are just two areas in the legal profession that i know of and that the numbers are readily available. What about predatory lending (houses or cars etc.), or job descrimimation, or medical malpractice, or insurance coverage inequality, etc etc?

okay guys, take this to the lounge forum......let's get back to UW-related subjects!

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 pm

whitman wrote:
rs2004 wrote:

But why would I borther just accruing scholarship money if I had no intention of going?

meant more like, seeing how much money you would get from UW and comparing with other schools' aid, then making your choice.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 pm

SingleURMDad wrote:Yeah but there are 3-4 times the amount of african americans that are incarcerated or are involved in child dependancy cases alone not to mention the number of cases in civil court that could and should be brought on behalf of african americans due to predatory and descriminatory victimization so the "utilization" of the system is not congruent with the population percentages so thats where the inequality lies. By the way let me be more specific about the numbers. As of 2009:

Black law students
7% and falling

Black us citizens
13% and rising

Less then 7%

40%

40%

Black persons incarcerated at 40% ?????? It's 4.7%, not sure where you got your figure. Honestly, I think you should take this to the social lounge.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:24 pm

$1,300 for a 2bdr is a steal (esp. if it's >750 ft^sq).

I am looking at $1,200 for a 590 ft^sq 1 bdr in Walnut Creek for Hastings.

I am under no illusion that UW would be *drastically* cheaper (not like, say, Virginia or somewhere in BFE Midwest) but just about anywhere's cheaper than the bay area (again, if you don't want to walk around with body armor).

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:25 pm

whitman wrote:
rs2004 wrote:

If you wanted to use their new offer to try to raise another school's...

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:27 pm

JakeL wrote:
whitman wrote:
rs2004 wrote:

oooo good one, i didn't even think of that.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:$1,300 for a 2bdr is a steal (esp. if it's >750 ft^sq).

I am under no illusion that UW would be *drastically* cheaper (not like, say, Virginia or somewhere in BFE Midwest) but just about anywhere's cheaper than the bay area (again, if you don't want to walk around with body armor).

Very true. You'll probably spend 1k a month for a decent 1BR close to UW.

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:45 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:$1,300 for a 2bdr is a steal (esp. if it's >750 ft^sq).

Aggie, try Seattle Rentals.com
my GF is a grad student at UW and lives on Capitol Hill (cool, hip and easy access to campus)
http://www.seattlerentals.com/14800

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:51 pm

JakeL wrote:
whitman wrote:
rs2004 wrote:

Oh, good point. I hadn't even thought about that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”