U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LilMonsterAnnie

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:58 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Two page letter!!! INNNNNN!!!!! IN IN IN!!!!

Seattllllllle oh I love youuuuuuuuu. <3

CONGRATULATIONS AGGIE!!!!
I knew it was an acceptance!! good for you!
This changes things a bit doesn't it?

--ImageRemoved--

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:18 am

LOL, thanks for the fire works! :)) It does... it makes the equation a LOT more complex. UW and Hastings are both well ranked and respectable, and place well in Northern California and in the west coast generally. UW is cheaper, (and I'm sure CoL would be cheaper too), and I've always wanted to live in Seattle if even for a little while. But, on the other hand (there is always one...), it'll mean a bit of relocation for my husband and such, sacrifices.

So... I'm not sure what to do!! It'd be a lot easier if I also get selected for the Gates PSL though!! :D

I am relieved to say the least. My cycle can end in peace now, even with monstrous dings from Northwestern and Boalt looming on the horizon...

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:39 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:LOL, thanks for the fire works! :)) It does... it makes the equation a LOT more complex. UW and Hastings are both well ranked and respectable, and place well in Northern California and in the west coast generally. UW is cheaper, (and I'm sure CoL would be cheaper too), and I've always wanted to live in Seattle if even for a little while. But, on the other hand (there is always one...), it'll mean a bit of relocation for my husband and such, sacrifices.

So... I'm not sure what to do!! It'd be a lot easier if I also get selected for the Gates PSL though!! :D

I am relieved to say the least. My cycle can end in peace now, even with monstrous dings from Northwestern and Boalt looming on the horizon...

well, hopefully this eases the pain of anymore future dings.
quite the decision you have in front of you. After visiting both UW and Hastings, I hate to say it (you know how I hate the weather :wink: )...but you will be better off at UW
this puts the husband in a pickle, hopefully you can both work something out. I also think you will be a front runner for the Gates scholly. you have a serious lucky streak right now!

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:12 am

Congrats Aggie!!! So glad it was good news.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:09 am

Congratulations, Aggie! Sounds like you have some tough choices to make now.

I hope the rest of us receive similar news soon.

Just out of curiosity - Big envelope? Small envelope?

SingleURMDad

Postby SingleURMDad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:38 am

Hey Guys,

Im new here but I read through the whole topic and the excitment is great. I have a question though (Feel free to look at the stats and softs on my profile). I was wondering if it was a good or bad thing that I went into review on 1/21 and it says "Decision" as of a couple of hours a go on the 31st? I think I have a pretty kick ass PS. (i wouldnt say it if I wasnt very proud of it ;o) Ive applied for the Gates PSL too. Fingers crossed becuase its the only way I can afford school. It would be nearly impossible to work, parent, and attend law school. I did that during undergrad and that was reeeeeallly hard.

Thoughts?

URM
WA Rez
Single Father of "special needs" lil guy

Non-traditional student (ie 32 yo, 10 years in my current career)
CASA Volunteer (among udda tings)

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:51 am

With a decision turnaround that quick, it probably means you are either an auto-admit or auto-deny.

I think I'm leaning towards admit in your case, though. You LSAT is low, but looking at UW's numbers, 25% of they class the admitted last year had a 160 or less. My guess is that these students got in largely due to things like URM status or interesting softs. Based on your profile, you may very well be in that group.

I guess what I'm saying is that it seems to me if UW were to admit someone with a 160 or lower, it would probably be someone like you.

Then again, I am not an expert on the subject; this is purely conjecture and perhaps wishful thinking. I was once told never to take law school advice from someone who had never been to law school.

For what it's worth, though, I think you have a shot. Good luck.

On a somewhat related note, I am exceedingly jealous that I went into review seven weeks before you and have yet to see any change. What is going on over there?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:52 am

SingleURMDad wrote:Hey Guys,

Im new here but I read through the whole topic and the excitment is great. I have a question though (Feel free to look at the stats and softs on my profile). I was wondering if it was a good or bad thing that I went into review on 1/21 and it says "Decision" as of a couple of hours a go on the 31st? I think I have a pretty kick ass PS. (i wouldnt say it if I wasnt very proud of it ;o) Ive applied for the Gates PSL too. Fingers crossed becuase its the only way I can afford school. It would be nearly impossible to work, parent, and attend law school. I did that during undergrad and that was reeeeeallly hard.

Thoughts?

URM
WA Rez

A URM with a 4.0 is an auto-admit I would say, especially with residency. You probably have a good shot at higher ranked schools as well.

krad

Postby krad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:01 am

snapdragon wrote:Congrats Aggie!!! So glad it was good news.

This !!!!! :D

SingleURMDad

Postby SingleURMDad » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 am

159 is pretty high in the URM stats though from what I can tell. The median range for students of African American heritage is 140-146. But of course I've never been one to use my ethnicity as a crutch. I will say that African Americans only constitute 8-10 percent of law students and practicing lawyers and that is unacceptable by any measure.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Congrats Aggie. That is really exciting.

Meanwhile, still "In Review 12/1" here.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:32 pm

congrats aggie - haha but i'm jealous! hope we UR people hear back soon.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Anyone have any information on when scholarship money gets put out there?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Thoughts?

URM
WA Rez

Dude if you don't get in I will eat my foot.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm

whitman wrote:Anyone have any information on when scholarship money gets put out there?

From looking at LSN, it looks like UW doesn't give out much, if any (!), scholarship money

lokist86

Postby lokist86 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm

akili wrote:
whitman wrote:Anyone have any information on when scholarship money gets put out there?

From looking at LSN, it looks like UW doesn't give out much, if any (!), scholarship money

Looking at LSN, acceptances from UW are also all over the place. -__- I can't predict what they like at all!

akili

Postby akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Yeah, it's a pretty small sample too (more than some other of the top schools). So hopefully it'll buck the trend? They also have a new admissions dean (IIRC) and dropped a couple ranking spots last year. Maybe they will offer more schollies this year. A scholly from UW would be a gamechanger for me...

deja

Postby deja » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm

krad wrote:
snapdragon wrote:Congrats Aggie!!! So glad it was good news.

This !!!!! :D

Seconded. You give us all hope Aggie. Congrats!!

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:18 pm

akili wrote:Yeah, it's a pretty small sample too (more than some other of the top schools). So hopefully it'll buck the trend? They also have a new admissions dean (IIRC) and dropped a couple ranking spots last year. Maybe they will offer more schollies this year. A scholly from UW would be a gamechanger for me...

Same here. Not going sticker. Would go with a good schollie.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:19 pm

whitman wrote:
akili wrote:Yeah, it's a pretty small sample too (more than some other of the top schools). So hopefully it'll buck the trend? They also have a new admissions dean (IIRC) and dropped a couple ranking spots last year. Maybe they will offer more schollies this year. A scholly from UW would be a gamechanger for me...

Same here. Not going sticker. Would go with a good schollie.

I love Seattle and UW, but yeah, it would be hard to pay sticker when I have a scholarship (+in-state) to UT...

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:06 pm

Yea, I sort of wonder if they are strapped for cash after building the Gates building, or just plain stingy because they know they own the NW and can fill a class without giving out $.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 pm

JakeL wrote:

Yea, I sort of wonder if they are strapped for cash after building the Gates building, or just plain stingy because they know they own the NW and can fill a class without giving out $.

I think it's the second. Which stinks (for me). In-state is still pretty cheap, but with good schollies from comparable schools, it's kind of hard to pick UW. I really would love to be in the NW though. I love it up there :(

Are you going in to the Draft or something? lol

LilMonsterAnnie

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:11 pm

bdubs wrote:

Thoughts?

URM
WA Rez

A URM with a 4.0 is an auto-admit I would say, especially with residency. You probably have a good shot at higher ranked schools as well.

agree with bdubs

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 pm

akili wrote:
JakeL wrote:

I think it's the second. Which stinks (for me). In-state is still pretty cheap, but with good schollies from comparable schools, it's kind of hard to pick UW. I really would love to be in the NW though. I love it up there :(

Are you going in to the Draft or something? lol

So is there literally NO chance of a scholarship? Man that blows.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Yeah, look on LSN for last cycle. Only like 4 people got scholarships and they were all URM.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”