U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LilMonsterAnnie

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby LilMonsterAnnie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Adjudicator wrote:+1 to in review since 12/1 with no news. :|

+1
they seem to be in no hurry...

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:56 pm

They have a new admissions dean at UW. This is his first year. I went to an openhouse and he told us that they wouldn't be reviewing any applications until they received them all. There deadline, I believe, was Jan 15, after which he said they would begin reviewing apps. So if you're wondering there's no movement, that's it.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:59 pm

seems like a solid strategy for adcomms

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm

JayWilTheBoat wrote:They have a new admissions dean at UW. This is his first year. I went to an openhouse and he told us that they wouldn't be reviewing any applications until they received them all. There deadline, I believe, was Jan 15, after which he said they would begin reviewing apps. So if you're wondering there's no movement, that's it.

This would seem to explain the delay EXCEPT for the handful of people on this forum (and potentially more NOT on the forum) who received acceptance notices on or near 12/29/2010.

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:09 pm

chicityteacher wrote:
JayWilTheBoat wrote:They have a new admissions dean at UW. This is his first year. I went to an openhouse and he told us that they wouldn't be reviewing any applications until they received them all. There deadline, I believe, was Jan 15, after which he said they would begin reviewing apps. So if you're wondering there's no movement, that's it.

This would seem to explain the delay EXCEPT for the handful of people on this forum (and potentially more NOT on the forum) who received acceptance notices on or near 12/29/2010.

weren't most/all of them wash residents with high numbers i.e. auto-admits?

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:11 pm

luckyme wrote:
chicityteacher wrote:

that would be my guess...

deja

Postby deja » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:13 pm

JayWilTheBoat wrote:
luckyme wrote:
chicityteacher wrote:

From what I recall they all seemed like pretty safe candidates. I guess that just leaves the rest of us to battle it out over the remaining spots. So much for applying early in the cycle actually helping. :cry:

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Applying early should still help. Their website says that applications are "reviewed in the order in which they are completed." I'm assuming this means that if you sent your application in earlier, it will be "completed" earlier, and thus, they should reach a decision earlier than other applications....but perhaps with exception of "auto-admits."

I could be wrong...thoughts?

deja

Postby deja » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Applying early should still help. Their website says that applications are "reviewed in the order in which they are completed." I'm assuming this means that if you sent your application in earlier, it will be "completed" earlier, and thus, they should reach a decision earlier than other applications....but perhaps with exception of "auto-admits."

I'm sure you're right. I'm just bitter I haven't heard anything back yet.. being in the 12/1 club isn't as cool as it sounds :D

JayWilTheBoat

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:48 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Applying early should still help. Their website says that applications are "reviewed in the order in which they are completed." I'm assuming this means that if you sent your application in earlier, it will be "completed" earlier, and thus, they should reach a decision earlier than other applications....but perhaps with exception of "auto-admits."

Seems as though that would make the most sense. I submitted my app in mid-November, so I hope that's the case!

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:02 pm

I am glad to hear they have a new dean of admissions if it means they will no longer be splitter unfriendly.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

IR this afternoon! :D

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:47 pm

I really want to hear back from UW soon so I can plan my trip to Seattle. I love that city so much!

I wish UW gave more in the way of scholarships though.

edit to add: I'm going to Seattle either way to visit friends. I'm not cocky about getting in!

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:20 pm

Um...I just stalked your profile, akili, and you probably could be a little cocky about getting in with those numbers. I would be absolutely shocked if you did NOT get in. My guess is you will probably get in to some higher ranked schools as well. But I can understand the draw of Seattle. I was born and raised nearby and leaving the area to go to Chicago was the biggest mistake I ever made.

Although, if you were cocky about it, it would just make the rest of us feel like garbage.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:23 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Um...I just stalked your profile, akili, and you probably could be a little cocky about getting in with those numbers. I would be absolutely shocked if you did NOT get in. My guess is you will probably get in to some higher ranked schools as well. But I can understand the draw of Seattle. I was born and raised nearby and leaving the area to go to Chicago was the biggest mistake I ever made.

Although, if you were cocky about it, it would just make the rest of us feel like garbage.

I applied last year with a 160 and got rejected and it broke my heart. UW is the one that got away. I went to UG in Spokane and LOVE the Northwest. UW would be awesome because most of my friends from school are still in the NW and I miss them.

Honestly though, UW doesn't really play by the "number" rules. I don't know if the new admissions dean will change things up, but last cycle there were a lot of surprising decisions.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:39 pm

I've heard from a lot of people that UW doesn't rely on numbers as heavily as some schools, and I REALLY hope that is true. My numbers aren't anything special (right on both medians for UW), but I have great softs (I think) that I hope will make up for my average numbers. And, of course, I tried to apply really early.

I guess if anyone could speak to the extent to which UW balances numbers with other factors, that might ease some of my anxiety.

Like many, I am just frustrated that I have been In Review since 12/1.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:42 pm

chicityteacher wrote:I've heard from a lot of people that UW doesn't rely on numbers as heavily as some schools, and I REALLY hope that is true. My numbers aren't anything special (right on both medians for UW), but I have great softs (I think) that I hope will make up for my average numbers. And, of course, I tried to apply really early.

me too

would love to start school in the northwest, having lived in the east coast all my life.

lamentable

Postby lamentable » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:08 pm

In review as of today. Game on, UW.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:15 pm

Sent: 01/13/2011

In Review: 01/24/2011

Now the waiting game...

lifeaway1985

Postby lifeaway1985 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:21 pm

gens1tb wrote:Sent: 01/13/2011

In Review: 01/24/2011

Now the waiting game...

We submitted the application on the same day and went into review on the same day. :D

HopefullyLaw

Postby HopefullyLaw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 pm

In review as of 1/21/11.

jepoy

Postby jepoy » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 am

In review as of yesterday.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:36 am

JayWilTheBoat wrote:
luckyme wrote:
chicityteacher wrote:

don't know if this helps, but i got my letter around 12/29 and i'm not a washiington resident (and i don't think i'm an autoadmit with my gpa but i may be wrong)...

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:59 am

With your numbers you are definitely an auto admit, I think. Your GPA is only slightly under the median, but your LSAT is off the charts for UW.

Congratulations!

Are you planning to attend? With those numbers it seems like you could get into some higher ranked schools, perhaps even in the top 20.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:06 am

i am probably not going to UW - and thanks for the compliment :) but i'm about 100% sure i'm going to CU since the end goal of this (other than a JD) is getting us moved out to colorado for good...so i'll be opening up a space for someone once i get things confirmed (assuming CU gives me some $)...
i'll keep y'all posted in this thread just because i know i'd want to know if i was still waiting to hear or on a WL or something...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”