U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PinkCow

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby PinkCow » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:02 pm

zonto wrote:Posted this in another thread and figured someone here may relate:

Here is a draft of a LOCI I'm working on. You can use all or parts of it if you'd like:

My Most Dearest Mr. Le,

Thank you for running out of brochures the day I attended the local law school fair to find out more about your school. The professor responsible for sparking my interest in law recommended your institution, and I felt bound to honor his suggestion. I also appreciated the somewhat snide comment about being a public school and not having enough money to grant fee waivers when I inquired about the topic. No worries there; I hope you enjoy my 1% contribution to your (supposed) median award amount.

Thank you also for your suggestions about creating effective, rhetorically persuasive resumes and cover letters during the admissions panel. Your suggestions, combined with my life experience and the skills I've learned as a technical communicator, have been a great blessing during the entirety of my application cycle this year. In fact, your suggestions proved so worthwhile that they have secured me admission and substantial scholarship awards at other schools more renowned than your own.

The irony is that you, the very person that finally gave clarity to the jumble of thoughts related to (and pages of free-hand written in preparation for) those important documents, saw fit to waitlist me nearly two months after the jubilant letters started flooding in from admissions deans at these more prestigious schools.

Consider this my Letter of Continued Apathy for you and the entirety of the University of Washington School of Law application process. I may keep myself on the waitlist, hoping that those accepted wise up and withdraw, so when you call in May to offer me a spot I can put you on hold and go take a dump while viewing the physical viewbook of the school I decide to attend.

Good day to you sir,

zonto

If you send this, I will as well. Very similar situation.

Edit: I'm not actually going to. Geez.

JCDent

Postby JCDent » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:19 pm

DR 3/11. Mailed 3/14. Waitlisted. No surprise given others who received decisions at the same time. UWash is a gorgeous campus and is much closer to home than my other options but I'm making the move primarily because I can't stand winter anymore and although Seattle is a huge upgrade, I have solid options in much warmer climates. I may stay on the waitlist for a while, but based on scholarship offers I've seen it looks like if I do get off the waitlist I'd be looking at close-to-sticker prices which I just can't justify. Best of luck to everyone who wants in, as well to everyone who will end up attending elsewhere.

jppatt16

Postby jppatt16 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Tried calling the admissions office today to get an update on my scholarship file since my email went unreturned...and got a message saying they were closed until March 28th.

Dammit.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:31 pm

jppatt16 wrote:Tried calling the admissions office today to get an update on my scholarship file since my email went unreturned...and got a message saying they were closed until March 28th.

Dammit.

Yeah it's spring break and I guess they're doing an office remodel or something.

jppatt16

Postby jppatt16 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:41 pm

geoduck wrote:
jppatt16 wrote:Tried calling the admissions office today to get an update on my scholarship file since my email went unreturned...and got a message saying they were closed until March 28th.

Dammit.

Yeah it's spring break and I guess they're doing an office remodel or something.

Ah, okay. Did not know that. Makes me feel somewhat better. Still bet I don't hear anything back for another week after the 28th though. :lol:

Dirk Lang

Postby Dirk Lang » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:04 pm

You should have tried calling office of student financial aid. They are open today, and presumably yesterday.

Unfortunately the woman was not very helpful. She said I wasn't in their system yet as admitted (I was admitted ~4 weeks ago) and that I would be informed of a decision about 3 weeks from the time I came into their system. I asked if it was normal that it would take so long to "be in the system," to which she replied oh usually it's much longer. I couldn't make any sense of the conversation.

I'm planning to call back on Mon. and talking to someone else.
Has anybody else who was admitted 3-4 weeks ago heard back about scholarship/f.a. stuff? I submitted the scholarship application like 3 days after the acceptance.

barklm

Postby barklm » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:18 pm

Dirk Lang wrote:You should have tried calling office of student financial aid. They are open today, and presumably yesterday.

Unfortunately the woman was not very helpful. She said I wasn't in their system yet as admitted (I was admitted ~4 weeks ago) and that I would be informed of a decision about 3 weeks from the time I came into their system. I asked if it was normal that it would take so long to "be in the system," to which she replied oh usually it's much longer. I couldn't make any sense of the conversation.

Has anybody else who was admitted 3-4 weeks ago heard back about scholarship/f.a. stuff? I submitted the scholarship application like 3 days after the acceptance.

I also submitted my scholarship application right away but haven't heard anything. When I called I ran into a similar situation; the person answering my questions really didn't seem to know what she was talking about. She told me that scholarship information would have been included in my acceptance letter - but then why the separate scholarship application? I haven't bothered to call back yet.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:21 pm

barklm wrote:
Dirk Lang wrote:You should have tried calling office of student financial aid. They are open today, and presumably yesterday.

I also submitted my scholarship application right away but haven't heard anything. When I called I ran into a similar situation; the person answering my questions really didn't seem to know what she was talking about. She told me that scholarship information would have been included in my acceptance letter - but then why the separate scholarship application? I haven't bothered to call back yet.

lol that's funny that she would even tell you that. The Office of Student Financial Aid has absolutely nothing to do with Law School merit scholarships and the OSF hasn't even finished going over their need-based grants. Yes, the money can flow from every direction (well... trickle). Best you can do is just put in the application and wait... and call Mr. Le (and only Mr. Le since nobody else seems to have the proper knowledge and authority).

deja

Postby deja » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey, so I'm in the 3/11 decision 3/14 mailing waitlist crew, but I just checked my status checker (not sure why) and noticed it has been updated to decision 3/24, with no new mailings. Anyone else experience the same thing?

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:01 pm

deja wrote:Hey, so I'm in the 3/11 decision 3/14 mailing waitlist crew, but I just checked my status checker (not sure why) and noticed it has been updated to decision 3/24, with no new mailings. Anyone else experience the same thing?

did you mail them anything subsequent to your wait list decision?

deja

Postby deja » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:23 pm

gens1tb wrote:
deja wrote:Hey, so I'm in the 3/11 decision 3/14 mailing waitlist crew, but I just checked my status checker (not sure why) and noticed it has been updated to decision 3/24, with no new mailings. Anyone else experience the same thing?

Yeah - just my loci, but I didn't think that would get a changed decision date.

falias

Postby falias » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:53 pm

+1, just checked. Probably doesn't mean much, pretty sure decisions are made after April 15th, but still kind of weird.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 am

deja wrote:
gens1tb wrote:

Yeah - just my loci, but I didn't think that would get a changed decision date.

Well, my loci caused my decision date to change too.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:30 pm

Has anyone else STILL not gotten any mail yet? My status went to decision 3/8, but I still haven't gotten anything in the mail...anyone else having this problem?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:52 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Has anyone else STILL not gotten any mail yet? My status went to decision 3/8, but I still haven't gotten anything in the mail...anyone else having this problem?

Seriously? Call Mr. Le personally! I'm pretty sure his number is on their website but if not PM me and I'll give it to you. Unless you live in like Moscow, that's an unreasonable wait.

NicG

Postby NicG » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:08 am

kalede wrote:Waitlisted. No surprise there, I guess. I'll be retaking the LSAT again in June to see if I can get a higher score to bump me off of the WL.

With a median LSAT of 163 why is UW WLing you with a 166?? that sucks!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:16 am

NicG wrote:
kalede wrote:Waitlisted. No surprise there, I guess. I'll be retaking the LSAT again in June to see if I can get a higher score to bump me off of the WL.

With a median LSAT of 163 why is UW WLing you with a 166?? that sucks!

You just get here brah? UW doesn't go by any logic. Plenty of 169 + that got WL/denied as well.

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 am

Just withdrew. Good luck to those waiting :)

zonto

Postby zonto » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:54 pm

Retaking the LSAT just to get into UW is probably one of the worst ideas ever.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:58 pm

zonto wrote:Retaking the LSAT just to get into UW is probably one of the worst ideas ever.

Also, it doesn't work. :?

barklm

Postby barklm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:17 am

About scholarships, I received the following email from Mr. Le last night:

"As for your scholarship application, the committee offered the first round of scholarships and will be looking to do more scholarship offers the first week of May after the deposits are due. I hope that gives you some guidance as to our timeline."

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 am

barklm wrote:About scholarships, I received the following email from Mr. Le last night:

"As for your scholarship application, the committee offered the first round of scholarships and will be looking to do more scholarship offers the first week of May after the deposits are due. I hope that gives you some guidance as to our timeline."

seriously? AFTER deposits are due?

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:22 am

barklm wrote:About scholarships, I received the following email from Mr. Le last night:

wut.

EDIT: Luckily, their first deposit is only $100 or so, but still. I wonder if I should not even bother sending a negotiation email until then...?

barklm

Postby barklm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:45 am

jwmalone87 wrote:

wut.

EDIT: Luckily, their first deposit is only $100 or so, but still. I wonder if I should not even bother sending a negotiation email until then...?

I agree that it's only $100 ... but its a little aggravating to know that I would have to put in a deposit to even find out if I'm eligible for anything. (I know others are in this boat, too!)

It really puts a hurdle in my decision making process.

EDIT: To actually address your question, I'm guessing that they wouldn't consider negotiating right now based upon how they're working their "timeline" but I'm definitely no authority! Maybe shoot an email to Le and inquire?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:57 am

They are not willing to negotiate yet. I tried via email and phone after my initial disappointing offer. They claim to be po' and won't negotiate until after the initial deposits. I decided to just take the hundred dollar hit and send in my offer letter from peer state schools. also, the need based grants have yet to go out.
Last edited by geoduck on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”