U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flett

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Flett » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:30 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Sorry to hear all the bad news :( Honestly, I think my acceptance had a lot to do with the personal statement -- it was very public-service orientated, and that's something UW obviously stresses a lot. And it seems they do put an uncommon amount of emphasis on it.

+1

I'm really sad to see all the bad news in this thread. Sorry guys. :(

layercake

Postby layercake » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:07 pm

restless wrote:Complete 02/01. DR 03/11, Mailing 03/11. Dinged yesterday. Expected it, but still kinda sad. Oh well, life goes on...

Sorry to hear that :(

deja

Postby deja » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:49 pm

Waitlist.

Just to get an idea, who is actually going to stay on the list? Trying to figure out whether or not it is worth my time.

falias

Postby falias » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:13 am

If this many people got waitlisted here (posting on the forums), I don't even want to know how big the waitlist really is... :|

Prometheus214

Postby Prometheus214 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:17 am

Personally, because of the unpredictable nature of wait lists from year to year, I will probably be making other plans and will consider getting off of the wait list as an unexpected surprise if somehow it does happen. Best of luck to everyone who is on the wait list as well!

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:04 am

I've been following this year's thread to see how UW's cycle is going since I decided not apply this year but wait until next year.

Adjudicator got rejected. Akili got waitlisted.

Something is definitely fishy about UW's admission process.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:46 pm

This whole process has totally turned me off from UW. I briefly thought about trying to reapply, but frankly I don't think I could figure out what they want, nor do I feel the desire to play these games with them.

I'm uncommonly bright, I'm motivated, and I want to study law, and that ought to be enough.

I have just accepted that I'm not a fit for their program, and they're not right for me, and moved on.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:01 pm

Adjudicator wrote:This whole process has totally turned me off from UW. I briefly thought about trying to reapply, but frankly I don't think I could figure out what they want, nor do I feel the desire to play these games with them.

I'm uncommonly bright, I'm motivated, and I want to study law, and that ought to be enough.

I have just accepted that I'm not a fit for their program, and they're not right for me, and moved on.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. I mean, I took a year off, retook the LSAT and applied again and they STILL don't want me.

Bearlegdairy

Postby Bearlegdairy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Adjudicator wrote:This whole process has totally turned me off from UW. I briefly thought about trying to reapply, but frankly I don't think I could figure out what they want, nor do I feel the desire to play these games with them.

Last edited by Bearlegdairy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Bearlegdairy wrote:

If you check the admissions criteria, UW requires that all applicants be "more than just a caveman." Sorry bro.

Ladies and gentlemen of TLS, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed out by some of your science majors. Your world frightens and confuses me. When I post things on this forum, I wonder... who is writing all of these other words that appear on this magic screen? When I fly across the country to visit another law school, I wonder... How does this gigantic metal bird stay in the air? When I take pictures of myself visiting a law school campus, I secretly worry: is it stealing my soul?

I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know - UW Law has the most opaque, frustrating, and seemingly arbitrary admissions process known to man. Thank you.
Last edited by Adjudicator on Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akili

Postby akili » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Bearlegdairy wrote:

If you check the admissions criteria, UW requires that all applicants be "more than just a caveman." Sorry bro.

....wut.

Bearlegdairy

Postby Bearlegdairy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:35 pm

[quote="akili"][quote="Bearlegdairy"][quote="Adjudicator"]This whole process has totally turned me off from UW. I briefly thought about trying to reapply, but frankly I don't think I could figure out what they want, nor do I feel the desire to play these games with them.
Last edited by Bearlegdairy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:13 pm

It's a pretty straightforeward process to me. There are several rounds of the selection process. First round they weed out the people they absolutely reject for obvious reasons, then use a raffle to assign a few to wait list and use random sorting to pick 1 acceptance. In rounds 2-4 decisions are made through an elaborate game of darts that determines who will be accepted and denied. Those that score less then half are rejected, those above 90% or who are bulls eyed by all members are accepted, and the rest are either wait listed or go in to the next round depending on ouiga board results.

In round 5, they look at the actual applications again and make value judgements, with those that aren't auto accepts or auto rejects being put on the wait list or going onto the final round depending on their level of interest in PI and what their power number is related to the risen star on the eve of their birth. Finally in round six they get really drunk and set off the fire sprinklers. Those applications that get wet are wait listed and those that stay dry are either rejected or accepted depending on how they avoided the water.

Really, I don't know why this wasn't obvious to everyone else.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:22 pm

geoduck wrote:It's a pretty straightforeward process to me. There are several rounds of the selection process. First round they weed out the people they absolutely reject for obvious reasons, then use a raffle to assign a few to wait list and use random sorting to pick 1 acceptance. In rounds 2-4 decisions are made through an elaborate game of darts that determines who will be accepted and denied. Those that score less then half are rejected, those above 90% or who are bulls eyed by all members are accepted, and the rest are either wait listed or go in to the next round depending on ouiga board results.

In round 5, they look at the actual applications again and make value judgements, with those that aren't auto accepts or auto rejects being put on the wait list or going onto the final round depending on their level of interest in PI and what their power number is related to the risen star on the eve of their birth. Finally in round six they get really drunk and set off the fire sprinklers. Those applications that get wet are wait listed and those that stay dry are either rejected or accepted depending on how they avoided the water.

+1

Reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxYni9JVUuE

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 am

Hey all,

Been away from the forums for a while. Sorry to hear about all the WL and Dings...it really does seem like they have made some decisions this year that make ABSOLUTELY no sense. Has anyone tried to talk to someone to get any like, specific explanations as to why they were WLed or dinged? I would be curious as to the kinds of reasons they give.

What do they want? What are they looking for?

My confusion knows no bounds.

I feel like they are going to change a lot of their admission process next year (on the phone, Mr. Le told me they are switching to rolling admissions), and I wonder if next year they make as many crazy decisions as they did this year.

Good luck to all -- whether you are going to school elsewhere or reapplying next year. Especially you other 12/1ers (akili, deja, etc.).

lawyerorbust

Postby lawyerorbust » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:36 am

geoduck wrote:It's a pretty straightforeward process to me. There are several rounds of the selection process. First round they weed out the people they absolutely reject for obvious reasons, then use a raffle to assign a few to wait list and use random sorting to pick 1 acceptance. In rounds 2-4 decisions are made through an elaborate game of darts that determines who will be accepted and denied. Those that score less then half are rejected, those above 90% or who are bulls eyed by all members are accepted, and the rest are either wait listed or go in to the next round depending on ouiga board results.

Best conclusion ever. I was also WL, and I am just scratching my head about it. Doesn't help that I work there and have to see the people every day...I know, right? All I can say is the staff is lazy and amazingly stupid at UW, so no shock to me that admissions fails in so many regards.

WestCoastGuru

Postby WestCoastGuru » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:45 am

I'm sorry to hear all the sad news that people have recieved the last couple of days. However, I just wanted to say that I'm a current 2L at the school and have some free time this week (because of spring break) and was open to answering some questions that people might have about the school etc. Maybe I can help some people who are currently trying to decide between a couple of schools. Best of luck to those on the WL or simply still waiting it out.

*sorry well be responding to questions in the discussing law school thread*

jppatt16

Postby jppatt16 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:31 pm

Has anyone else received scholarship info yet? I'm thinking about calling just because I figure I shouldn't begin [trying] to negotiate for more blindly.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:34 pm

jppatt16 wrote:Has anyone else received scholarship info yet? I'm thinking about calling just because I figure I shouldn't begin [trying] to negotiate for more blindly.

I did. It was insultingly low.

jppatt16

Postby jppatt16 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:39 pm

geoduck wrote:
jppatt16 wrote:Has anyone else received scholarship info yet? I'm thinking about calling just because I figure I shouldn't begin [trying] to negotiate for more blindly.

Ouch. Here's hoping I can at least get in-state out of them.

LPSDBX

Postby LPSDBX » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 pm

geoduck wrote:

+1

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

lawyerorbust wrote:Best conclusion ever. I was also WL, and I am just scratching my head about it. Doesn't help that I work there and have to see the people every day...I know, right? All I can say is the staff is lazy and amazingly stupid at UW, so no shock to me that admissions fails in so many regards.

Lol this.

boozehound

Postby boozehound » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:51 pm

deja wrote:Waitlist.

Just to get an idea, who is actually going to stay on the list? Trying to figure out whether or not it is worth my time.

Waitlisted and withdrawing. Nice school, but the letter's font was Times New Roman....eeeewww!
(167, 3.0, applied 1/13)

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:52 pm

boozehound wrote:

Waitlisted and withdrawing. Nice school, but the letter's font was Times New Roman....eeeewww!
(167, 3.0, applied 1/13)

I much would of preferred wingdings.

boozehound

Postby boozehound » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:55 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
boozehound wrote:

(167, 3.0, applied 1/13)

I much would of preferred wingdings.

I nearly vomitted reading the horrid thing. I don't even think they used kerning. The brutes!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”