U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby JakeL » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:16 pm

cinephile wrote:
falias wrote:If anyone in the 3/11 group calls in for a decision, please let us know what happens!


I called in today because I really need to know soon, I have some scholarships that require me to accept by April 1st. And I'm living overseas so it'll take awhile for my mail to get here. So, I asked if they could give me my decision over the phone or by email (explaining my situation). The person I spoke to said they can't give this kind of information over the phone, but she would be happy to send me an email. Then she asked for my name and put me on hold. When she came back she said she couldn't send me an email and I'd have to wait for it by mail. I don't feel good about this decision :cry:


Based on previous posters, that does not sound good. However, you never know! There's still hope :)

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Kinderby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:19 pm

JakeL wrote:
cinephile wrote:
falias wrote:If anyone in the 3/11 group calls in for a decision, please let us know what happens!


I called in today because I really need to know soon, I have some scholarships that require me to accept by April 1st. And I'm living overseas so it'll take awhile for my mail to get here. So, I asked if they could give me my decision over the phone or by email (explaining my situation). The person I spoke to said they can't give this kind of information over the phone, but she would be happy to send me an email. Then she asked for my name and put me on hold. When she came back she said she couldn't send me an email and I'd have to wait for it by mail. I don't feel good about this decision :cry:


Based on previous posters, that does not sound good. However, you never know! There's still hope :)

[redacted]
Last edited by Kinderby on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

falias
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:56 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby falias » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:20 pm

JakeL wrote:
cinephile wrote:
falias wrote:If anyone in the 3/11 group calls in for a decision, please let us know what happens!


I called in today because I really need to know soon, I have some scholarships that require me to accept by April 1st. And I'm living overseas so it'll take awhile for my mail to get here. So, I asked if they could give me my decision over the phone or by email (explaining my situation). The person I spoke to said they can't give this kind of information over the phone, but she would be happy to send me an email. Then she asked for my name and put me on hold. When she came back she said she couldn't send me an email and I'd have to wait for it by mail. I don't feel good about this decision :cry:


Based on previous posters, that does not sound good. However, you never know! There's still hope :)


I don't know if they think by not giving denials over the phone/email they are being nice or something, but I think it's more cruel to make people wait. I like that at SU acceptances are known over status checker followed by a packet and denials are via email. Bad news is bad news, just get it over with.

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby geoduck » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Kinderby wrote:
JakeL wrote:
cinephile wrote:
falias wrote:If anyone in the 3/11 group calls in for a decision, please let us know what happens!


I called in today because I really need to know soon, I have some scholarships that require me to accept by April 1st. And I'm living overseas so it'll take awhile for my mail to get here. So, I asked if they could give me my decision over the phone or by email (explaining my situation). The person I spoke to said they can't give this kind of information over the phone, but she would be happy to send me an email. Then she asked for my name and put me on hold. When she came back she said she couldn't send me an email and I'd have to wait for it by mail. I don't feel good about this decision :cry:


Based on previous posters, that does not sound good. However, you never know! There's still hope :)


Redacted


I don't like to say this, but from the other information on this thread it sounds to me like the UW admins are squeemish about bad news. They're happy to email acceptances... but prefer to keep bad news to impartial pieces of paper. I hope that isn't the case here, but I definitely wouldn't endanger any big scholarships at this point :o
Last edited by geoduck on Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dzollman
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:46 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby dzollman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Live 80 miles north of Seattle.... Just ran out to my mailbox after I saw the mailman drive by. Nothing yet!

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Kinderby » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:42 pm

geoduck wrote:They're happy to email acceptances... but prefer to keep bad news to impartial pieces of paper. I hope that isn't the case here, but I definitely wouldn't endanger any big scholarships at this point :o

Yeah, I deleted my post.

I still love the school [/suck-up] but I am firmly in camp All Schools Oughta Email Rejections. Why have to wait for bad news?

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby cinephile » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Thanks guys. I'm pretty much accepting this as a probably rejection and moving on, but it's too bad because UW was really one of my top choices. Well, maybe I'll have an opportunity at some other point to move out to Seattle.

ETA: agree that schools ought to email acceptances/rejections. How is a piece of paper any different than an email? They both have some distance from the person, so it's not like giving bad news over the phone.
Last edited by cinephile on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Kinderby wrote:
geoduck wrote:They're happy to email acceptances... but prefer to keep bad news to impartial pieces of paper. I hope that isn't the case here, but I definitely wouldn't endanger any big scholarships at this point :o

Yeah, I deleted my post.

I still love the school [/suck-up] but I am firmly in camp All Schools Oughta Email Rejections. Why have to wait for bad news?


Quick and Painless FTW

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby RTFM » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:38 pm

RTFM wrote:
mistermister wrote:people who have received decisions: did anything even show up under mailings?


Mine says "Decision Letter Sent 3/07" under mailings but my Decision says 3/09. I still haven't gotten anything.


Just got the admit letter (big envelope)!!!

I think it does take longer for the admits to go out than the denys/waitlists. All of you 3/11 Decisions might want to hope it takes a couple more days! Good luck to everyone!

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby simonruw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:43 pm

Just came home and had a heart-attack because I saw a big envelope!

Well, it was UC Davis. So I am in there. But I don't really care for them that much...

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:47 pm

RTFM wrote:
RTFM wrote:
mistermister wrote:people who have received decisions: did anything even show up under mailings?


Mine says "Decision Letter Sent 3/07" under mailings but my Decision says 3/09. I still haven't gotten anything.


Just got the admit letter (big envelope)!!!

I think it does take longer for the admits to go out than the denys/waitlists. All of you 3/11 Decisions might want to hope it takes a couple more days! Good luck to everyone!


Congrats!!! Can you let us know when your letter was dated?

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby zonto » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:08 pm

3/11 Decision here too. 8)

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:18 pm

simonruw wrote:Just came home and had a heart-attack because I saw a big envelope!

Well, it was UC Davis. So I am in there. But I don't really care for them that much...


Why not?

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby RTFM » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:20 pm

tea_drinker wrote:
RTFM wrote:
RTFM wrote:
mistermister wrote:people who have received decisions: did anything even show up under mailings?


Mine says "Decision Letter Sent 3/07" under mailings but my Decision says 3/09. I still haven't gotten anything.


Just got the admit letter (big envelope)!!!

I think it does take longer for the admits to go out than the denys/waitlists. All of you 3/11 Decisions might want to hope it takes a couple more days! Good luck to everyone!


Congrats!!! Can you let us know when your letter was dated?


Yup, dated 3/11.

User avatar
tea_drinker
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby tea_drinker » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:30 pm

RTFM wrote:Yup, dated 3/11.


Thanks! and wow to UW with 4 days from DR to letter sent.

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby simonruw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
simonruw wrote:Just came home and had a heart-attack because I saw a big envelope!

Well, it was UC Davis. So I am in there. But I don't really care for them that much...


Why not?


Nothing personal, I'm just a true-blue Seattelite :)

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

simonruw wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
simonruw wrote:Just came home and had a heart-attack because I saw a big envelope!

Well, it was UC Davis. So I am in there. But I don't really care for them that much...


Why not?


Nothing personal, I'm just a true-blue Seattelite :)


Gotcha. :)

Was wondering if you were basing it on something substantive like NLJ250 %'s or OCI data or LRAP or something like that =p

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby simonruw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:28 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
simonruw wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
simonruw wrote:Just came home and had a heart-attack because I saw a big envelope!

Well, it was UC Davis. So I am in there. But I don't really care for them that much...


Why not?


Nothing personal, I'm just a true-blue Seattelite :)


Gotcha. :)

Was wondering if you were basing it on something substantive like NLJ250 %'s or OCI data or LRAP or something like that =p


Well with the law market the way it is (and with wealthy parents who won't help) I'm not sure I would feel comfortable paying that much for Davis :x I also have a finance degree so I would be kinda bummed if I could make more next year in finance than I would graduating from Davis! Plus since I want to live in Seattle UW>>>>Davis.

Still, It makes me feel good about myself and improves my shot at UW, considering I was below the median for LSAT&GPA at Davis.

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby JakeL » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:44 pm

simonruw wrote:Well with the law market the way it is (and with wealthy parents who won't help) I'm not sure I would feel comfortable paying that much for Davis :x I also have a finance degree so I would be kinda bummed if I could make more next year in finance than I would graduating from Davis! Plus since I want to live in Seattle UW>>>>Davis.

Still, It makes me feel good about myself and improves my shot at UW, considering I was below the median for LSAT&GPA at Davis.


You do know that Davis has a higher reported median salary than UW right? I'm just confused how you think that you'd make more not going to Davis/using your finance degree, than going to UW Law....

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby simonruw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:47 pm

JakeL wrote:
simonruw wrote:Well with the law market the way it is (and with wealthy parents who won't help) I'm not sure I would feel comfortable paying that much for Davis :x I also have a finance degree so I would be kinda bummed if I could make more next year in finance than I would graduating from Davis! Plus since I want to live in Seattle UW>>>>Davis.

Still, It makes me feel good about myself and improves my shot at UW, considering I was below the median for LSAT&GPA at Davis.


Davis has a higher reported median salary than UW. What are you talking about?


Yeah but those salaries are also subject to geographic variables. I would be bringing the UC Davis degree UP to Seattle. And in the Seattle Market UW trumps Davis.

Lots of it would also depend on my class ranking, which I don't want to be too optimistic about for conservative purposes.

QOTSA
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:24 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby QOTSA » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm

simonruw wrote:I'm poppin' xanax like it's going out of style.

are you in the Seattle area? If so lets party!

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:52 pm

simonruw wrote:
JakeL wrote:
simonruw wrote:Well with the law market the way it is (and with wealthy parents who won't help) I'm not sure I would feel comfortable paying that much for Davis :x I also have a finance degree so I would be kinda bummed if I could make more next year in finance than I would graduating from Davis! Plus since I want to live in Seattle UW>>>>Davis.

Still, It makes me feel good about myself and improves my shot at UW, considering I was below the median for LSAT&GPA at Davis.


Davis has a higher reported median salary than UW. What are you talking about?


Yeah but those salaries are also subject to geographic variables. I would be bringing the UC Davis degree UP to Seattle. And in the Seattle Market UW trumps Davis.

Lots of it would also depend on my class ranking, which I don't want to be too optimistic about for conservative purposes.


Oh if you want to work and live in the Sea/Tac area than hands-down UW! Plus you've got in-state tuition already. Can't be beat!

I'm also pretty much sold on UW except I am concerned that they are completely unrepresented on the latest NLJ figures & the LRAP is pretty awful.
Last edited by Aggiegrad2011 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby simonruw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:53 pm

QOTSA wrote:
simonruw wrote:I'm poppin' xanax like it's going out of style.

are you in the Seattle area? If so lets party!


Hahahahahahah do you go to UW? If we both get in we could go get a beer together or something :P

JakeL
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby JakeL » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:54 pm

simonruw wrote:Yeah but those salaries are also subject to geographic variables. I would be bringing the UC Davis degree UP to Seattle. And in the Seattle Market UW trumps Davis.

Lots of it would also depend on my class ranking, which I don't want to be too optimistic about for conservative purposes.
[/quote]

Can you better explain the "geographic variables?" It certainly would be a lot tougher to crack Seattle with a Davis degree, but I don't think that equates to making less money. It's my understanding that associates are hired at the same salary.

simonruw
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:13 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby simonruw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:59 pm

JakeL wrote:
simonruw wrote:Yeah but those salaries are also subject to geographic variables. I would be bringing the UC Davis degree UP to Seattle. And in the Seattle Market UW trumps Davis.

Lots of it would also depend on my class ranking, which I don't want to be too optimistic about for conservative purposes.


Can you better explain the "geographic variables?" It certainly would be a lot tougher to crack Seattle with a Davis degree, but I don't think that equates to making less money. It's my understanding that associates are hired at the same salary.[/quote]

Yeah, I guess that's what I meant. Davis would be harder to crack and cost me tens of thousands more. It wouldn't necessarily be bad, just definitively less preferable.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”