U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mr_Brightside

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Mr_Brightside » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 pm

I spoke with Mr. Le today and, aside from being the nicest guy, he said that the last committee is meeting on Friday and to expect a status change. Like everybody else has said before, he said that it's a good sign to have made it this far but couldn't give me any specifics. My numbers suggest an auto-ding, so I'm hopeful for a WL and an accept would be nothing less than a miracle.

EDIT: I'm in the 12/1 group. What a ride this has been.
Last edited by Mr_Brightside on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:02 pm

Friday it is then. Best of luck to all the fellow 1/21'ers :)

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:20 pm

chicityteacher wrote:
WayBryson wrote:My LSATs average to a 167; I have a 3.78 LSAC GPA; I wrote a 2 page Resume (FYI, the UW application makes their stress of the longer resume pretty clear); and I have substantial softs: 4 years living/working abroad, undergraduate academic honors, political volunteer experience at the state level, etc. I am also from the Northwest and lived in Washington for two years.

Dinged. 2/15

However, I am also in at Vanderbilt and USC, and as of yet, I have not been dinged at Yale or Stanford. The UW rejection surprised me--a why UW essay centered on their Asian Law Center, which I considered writing, seems like a good idea in retrospect--but I really can't be too upset by the rejection. If you had the credentials to consider yourself an auto-admit, or near to it, at UW (I considered it a safety) then you almost certainly will gain acceptance to another outstanding law school.

Congrats to all the admits, and if you aren't from the city, then be sure to find one of the two branches of Espresso Vivace. One of the best coffee establishments on earth--I am sure some others on this thread will back me up on this :wink:

Wow, that is really surprising. I'm sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you got in to some fantastic schools regardless. This HAS to be yield protection. Given your numbers and awesome softs, I'm sure they just assumed you probably would not attend anyway. You may be right that the "Why UW" essay could have made a difference. USC and Vandy are solid though, congrats on that.

You are, I think, another fine example of why many of UW's decisions this year have made NO SENSE whatsoever. (see: Adjudicator)

My ego would love to call it yield protection, but I honestly doubt that is the case. My guess is that there was simply something about my application that turned off the admissions committee. If one strong voice arguing for an applicant can make a difference--as so many admissions blogs and anecdotes recount--then I imagine that the reverse is likely true. Perhaps it was the hyphenation error towards the beginning of my conclusion, or maybe the broader libertarian tones of my personal statement (FYI, it was not a political piece by any means, and those interested in reading it will find it on the last page of the "Personal Statements Sample" thread viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4353&start=625 ).

In any event, I am pretty sure that there is plenty of sense behind UW's decisions. I wrote all this just to point out that there is a heavy element of serendipity in admissions and that those who were rejected, like me, should take it with a grain of salt.

Incidentally, I met a UW alumnus and ex-member of their faculty at an admitted students’ reception for Vanderbilt in Tokyo this week. He had very positive things to say about both schools.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Decision 3/9!!

Edit: I was IR 1/21 and when I checked earlier today I was still IR.
Last edited by RTFM on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alexb

Postby alexb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:16 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:I spoke with Mr. Le today and, aside from being the nicest guy, he said that the last committee is meeting on Friday and to expect a status change. Like everybody else has said before, he said that it's a good sign to have made it this far but couldn't give me any specifics. My numbers suggest an auto-ding, so I'm hopeful for a WL and an accept would be nothing less than a miracle.

Wait, is this for everyone currently under review or just the 12/1 group?

I'm a 1/24-er. Anyone else?

I would love to attend UW!

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:40 pm

alexb wrote:
Mr_Brightside wrote:I spoke with Mr. Le today and, aside from being the nicest guy, he said that the last committee is meeting on Friday and to expect a status change. Like everybody else has said before, he said that it's a good sign to have made it this far but couldn't give me any specifics. My numbers suggest an auto-ding, so I'm hopeful for a WL and an accept would be nothing less than a miracle.

I was but went DR on 7 March.

Papa Smurf

Postby Papa Smurf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:44 pm

alexb wrote:

I'm a 1/24-er too, and Mr. Le said that I should have a decision by Friday, so I don't see why you won't get one too. If they even waitlist me, I'm booking a flight to Seattle and a campus visit asap, good luck everyone!!

alexb

Postby alexb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Awesome, thanks!

Edit: and good luck!

deja

Postby deja » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 am

From the posts on here, it sounds like Friday is going to be a pretty big day. Was there any indication given that decisions could be held longer than Friday, or is this going to be their huge-going-out-of-business-application-clearance-all-apps-must-go event?

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:07 am

deja wrote:their huge-going-out-of-business-application-clearance-all-apps-must-go event?

:D +1 And then they can get out the ol' WLs again and get to them earlier than they expected!! :o

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:09 am

deja wrote:From the posts on here, it sounds like Friday is going to be a pretty big day. Was there any indication given that decisions could be held longer than Friday, or is this going to be their huge-going-out-of-business-application-clearance-all-apps-must-go event?

Mr. Le said that Friday was the LAST day for committee meetings. I guess it makes sense, considering that it's nearly the middle of March and a majority of seat deposit deadlines are April 1. That gives applicants about 2 weeks to make decisions. So, of course I could be wrong, but I think this is it.

ocbrody

Postby ocbrody » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:30 am

FWIW, it's also the end of the UW quarter, so that might have something to do with it.

whitman

Postby whitman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:37 am

Mr_Brightside wrote:
deja wrote:From the posts on here, it sounds like Friday is going to be a pretty big day. Was there any indication given that decisions could be held longer than Friday, or is this going to be their huge-going-out-of-business-application-clearance-all-apps-must-go event?

Mr. Le said that Friday was the LAST day for committee meetings. I guess it makes sense, considering that it's nearly the middle of March and a majority of seat deposit deadlines are April 1. That gives applicants about 2 weeks to make decisions. So, of course I could be wrong, but I think this is it.

Aren't the majority May 1, not April 1?

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:42 am

Is anybody else worried about the apparent imminence of a magnitude 9+, mega-thrust earthquake? Seismologists in the NW have been talking about it a lot lately.

I'm just saying, knowing that this could possibly happen, do I want to find myself in a high-rise office building in downtown Seattle?

Has anybody else thought about this?

tony1003

Postby tony1003 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:47 am

I work as an UG in the law building doing work study. On the perkin coie room door there is a reserved sign for law school admissions committee meeting for most the day tomorrow and friday.

Im still in review 1/24. nerve racking.

deja

Postby deja » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:50 am

Mr_Brightside wrote:

Thanks - it's good to know the end is in sight, one way or another. So I guess tomorrow is the last chance for any pre-decision LOCIs or bribes.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:20 am

whitman wrote:
Mr_Brightside wrote:

Aren't the majority May 1, not April 1?

Could be-- All of mine with one exception are due on April 1, with one due on April 15.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:10 am

withdrew this morning - hope someone in here gets to benefit from me not attending! nothing against UW, it's great, but my heart is telling me to head to CU!!

TreeHugger20

Postby TreeHugger20 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:04 am

jwmalone87 wrote:Friday it is then. Best of luck to all the fellow 1/21'ers :)

Holla!

I'd say this is the end of the line for most of us, folks. Best of luck to all.

TreeHugger20

Postby TreeHugger20 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:05 am

oldhippie wrote:withdrew this morning - hope someone in here gets to benefit from me not attending! nothing against UW, it's great, but my heart is telling me to head to CU!!

I so wanted to attend CU too! My husband is in the UW graduate program so I can't go. :( I'll be withdrawing from there soon. I hope you love it! I'm sure you will.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:06 am

TreeHugger20 wrote:
oldhippie wrote:withdrew this morning - hope someone in here gets to benefit from me not attending! nothing against UW, it's great, but my heart is telling me to head to CU!!

I so wanted to attend CU too! My husband is in the UW graduate program so I can't go. :( I'll be withdrawing from there soon. I hope you love it! I'm sure you will.

thanks! and i hope you love UW (or wherever you end up!!)

dstr15

Postby dstr15 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:12 am

UW is the last school I'm waiting to receive a decision from and I'm in the 12/1 review group. I've been kinda stalking this thread and hope we all receive good news next week!

apaint

Postby apaint » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Received an interview offer today for the Gates PSL Scholarship!

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Shit I'm freaking out. Decision tomorrow? AHHHH

JCDent

Postby JCDent » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:27 pm

crit_racer wrote:Shit I'm freaking out. Decision tomorrow? AHHHH

Won't we still have to wait for the letter in the mail?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”