U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ScrabbleChamp

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:11 pm

crit_racer wrote:I find it weird that you would be an auto-ding b/c of your PS, though. Especially if it wasn't offensive but was just bland or something. I mean, did he not mention anything about #s?

He said my numbers weren't a concern. I think a lot of it has to do with a good GPA, a 174 from 8 years ago (when I was actually able to study and in the "school/test" mindset), and the fact that it seems for applicants with a lot of "real world" experience, they focus more on the PS and the resume. I didn't get a feel that they put that much stock into LORs, though.

Edit: My PS wasn't bad (see: Iowa - Admit, UMN - WL), or at least not bad enough to deter other, higher ranked schools from admitting/WL'ing me. I guess it just didn't highlight the "view" they wanted to see. I spoke about my children, as they are more important to me than anything else I've ever done. I guess UW just wanted to hear more about my military experience. He really did seem to emphasize that... he must have mentioned the word "Marines" 50 times in our 10 minute conversation.
Last edited by ScrabbleChamp on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:11 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:Maybe a stupid question, but how did Mr. Le pronounce his name? Lay, or Lee? Just wondering so that I don't butcher it if I call...

Lee.

NicG

Postby NicG » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I couldn't link up with the employment office peoples today so I am going to try to call them tomorrow again.

Am I the only one that cares about OCI stuff?

Umm what's OCI stuff?

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:43 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Agreed. I guess I just made a tactical error, or a couple of them, actually. In retrospect, it makes sense, though. I guess I just have to learn to be more open (I'm a very closed individual.) Basically, he told me that, as a combat vet with multiple decorations, including one for heroism in battle, I should have written my personal statement about that. I didn't... I really hate writing about myself and surely don't really like having to write/speak/think about anything I've done that was judged by someone else to be brave while others did not make it out... I digress. He also stated, and this is a big one that I thought was a no-no, that they prefer resumes be long and expressive. I kept my resume to a one-page max because I thought that was the way it is supposed to be, but I was wrong. He specifically stated someone mentioned they didn't like that I only had a one page resume, especially because of my professional experience. And, lastly, he stated they like meat and potatoes. That is, if you have an addendum, don't keep it short and sweet. Use the addendum as a chance to explain whatever it is you are explaining and why it matters and what it means to you. I always though addenda were to be short and sweet and get to the point. UW prefers more substance.... Iowa doesn't mind short and sweet, though. :-)

That's really troubling.

I think I'll just pretend that your situation as a nontraditional makes your ideal approach different from mine

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:16 pm

gens1tb wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Agreed. I guess I just made a tactical error, or a couple of them, actually. In retrospect, it makes sense, though. I guess I just have to learn to be more open (I'm a very closed individual.) Basically, he told me that, as a combat vet with multiple decorations, including one for heroism in battle, I should have written my personal statement about that. I didn't... I really hate writing about myself and surely don't really like having to write/speak/think about anything I've done that was judged by someone else to be brave while others did not make it out... I digress. He also stated, and this is a big one that I thought was a no-no, that they prefer resumes be long and expressive. I kept my resume to a one-page max because I thought that was the way it is supposed to be, but I was wrong. He specifically stated someone mentioned they didn't like that I only had a one page resume, especially because of my professional experience. And, lastly, he stated they like meat and potatoes. That is, if you have an addendum, don't keep it short and sweet. Use the addendum as a chance to explain whatever it is you are explaining and why it matters and what it means to you. I always though addenda were to be short and sweet and get to the point. UW prefers more substance.... Iowa doesn't mind short and sweet, though. :-)

That's really troubling.

I think I'll just pretend that your situation as a nontraditional makes your ideal approach different from mine

What's troubling?

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:20 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
What's troubling?

Every single one of their preferences

alexb

Postby alexb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Weird! Traditionally, resumes greater than one page are undesirable, but that's when looking for a job--I guess that's different than a law school app.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:52 pm

alexb wrote:Weird! Traditionally, resumes greater than one page are undesirable, but that's when looking for a job--I guess that's different than a law school app.

Again, this is false. People should stop spreading this myth, especially in an economy like this. Two pages is perfectly acceptable and far better if you actually have enough relevant information to fill two pages. The style and readability of your resume is also extremely important. A well formatted two page resume will beat out a cramped one page any day.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:56 pm

gens1tb wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
What's troubling?

Why do you say that? I believe that they are fully in the right if they are trying to look beyond the numbers at all. If you just want to fill out a form, Cooley has a great one. It's hard to choose between a hundred one paragraph "I goofed around and now am better" addendums. Your statement and addendum are your chance to tell your story and create an individual connection with the evaluator in the same way any good story should. If you can't sell yourself when you're trying to convince them that your GPA isn't indicative of possible performance, when can you?

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 am

geoduck wrote:
gens1tb wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
What's troubling?

Why do you say that? I believe that they are fully in the right if they are trying to look beyond the numbers at all. If you just want to fill out a form, Cooley has a great one. It's hard to choose between a hundred one paragraph "I goofed around and now am better" addendums. Your statement and addendum are your chance to tell your story and create an individual connection with the evaluator in the same way any good story should. If you can't sell yourself when you're trying to convince them that your GPA isn't indicative of possible performance, when can you?

I like the passive-aggressive insults in your post. What's the point of even replying when you've just painted two extremes on a spectrum and ignored anything between.

It also doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they're "in the right." I don't think they're wrong.

It was nothing more than me lamenting what may have been similar mistakes, since I'm of the belief you can be concise and still explain how you've moved past something without elevating it to being a life altering (in the hyperbole sense) experience; unless it really was.
Last edited by gens1tb on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

layercake

Postby layercake » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:31 am

geoduck wrote:
alexb wrote:Weird! Traditionally, resumes greater than one page are undesirable, but that's when looking for a job--I guess that's different than a law school app.

Again, this is false. People should stop spreading this myth, especially in an economy like this. Two pages is perfectly acceptable and far better if you actually have enough relevant information to fill two pages. The style and readability of your resume is also extremely important. A well formatted two page resume will beat out a cramped one page any day.

I have to agree with geoduck. This myth will never go away. It does depend on the place accepting your resume, whether it is a school or a company, usually they would state what they are looking for and if they do not, then you should ask.

In the case of UW they did say to keep it to 3 pages, that does not mean you submit a 1 page because some TLS "star" here on the forum said to do so, especially when you have the experience to fit 2 or 3 pages. When I was involved with hiring for my company almost all positions were not entry level, so when I did see a 1 page resume, it usually ended up in the recycle bin.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:38 am

gens1tb wrote:
geoduck wrote:
gens1tb wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:
What's troubling?

I like the passive-aggressive insults in your post. What's the point of even replying when you've just painted two extremes on a spectrum and ignored anything between.

It also doesn't have anything to do with whether or not they're "in the right."

It was mostly just lamenting what may have been similar mistakes since I'm of the belief you can be concise and still explain how you've moved past something without elevating it to being a life altering (in the hyperbole sense) experience.

I'm failing to see any passive-aggressive insults and am sorry if you read any. But there's concise and then there is selling yourself short. I struggle to find anything in Scrabble's description of Mr. Le's response that indicates that he wants hyperbole. He is asking for an explanation with a resolution. That's very hard to do in the span of a paragraph with any efficacy and I'm confused as to why people keep saying to only do one paragraph on this forum. Mr. Le is asking for a story and interviews on this site with deans from colleges such as Georgetown also mention that they are looking for a resolution. It isn't enough to just say what happened; You have to describe why it won't happen again. It's really a great policy. I'm sorry that Scrabble got duped into selling himself short since it sounds like he has a really strong story to be told that would fully warrant admission. Now they just need to spread the word that they aren't looking for McApps and implement that rolling admissions process.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:49 am

I had a post typed up explaining in what context I meant hyperbole, but you've already made a lot of assumptions, and we'll just go on forever back-and-forth in this fashion.

If you believe the implication of my post is that I just wanted to fill in some blanks and get into a great school then I'm okay with that.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:53 am

My personal statement kind of was my GPA addendum. I talked about my moving abroad stuff, too, but I keep wondering if I should've done a totally separate statement about it. :?

mustnot"mediate"internetmisunderstandingmustnot"mediate"internetmisunderstanding

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:02 am

My personal statement was slightly superior to me taking a crap on two pages. My addenda were very brief and to the point. However, my resume was 2 full pages.

I guess that cracks it then. UW loves a good long resume.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:02 am

Kinderby wrote:My personal statement kind of was my GPA addendum. I talked about my moving abroad stuff, too, but I keep wondering if I should've done a totally separate statement about it. :?

mustnotmediateinternetmisunderstandingmustnotmediateinternetmisunderstanding

If I end up not going to UW, I wanna donate my acceptance to get you off the waitlist.

akili

Postby akili » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:04 am

Kinderby wrote:My personal statement kind of was my GPA addendum. I talked about my moving abroad stuff, too, but I keep wondering if I should've done a totally separate statement about it. :?

mustnot"mediate"internetmisunderstandingmustnot"mediate"internetmisunderstanding

Kinderby, I kind of love you.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 am

My LSATs average to a 167; I have a 3.78 LSAC GPA; I wrote a 2 page Resume (FYI, the UW application makes their stress of the longer resume pretty clear); and I have substantial softs: 4 years living/working abroad, undergraduate academic honors, political volunteer experience at the state level, etc. I am also from the Northwest and lived in Washington for two years.

Dinged. 2/15

However, I am also in at Vanderbilt and USC, and as of yet, I have not been dinged at Yale or Stanford. The UW rejection surprised me--a why UW essay centered on their Asian Law Center, which I considered writing, seems like a good idea in retrospect--but I really can't be too upset by the rejection. If you had the credentials to consider yourself an auto-admit, or near to it, at UW (I considered it a safety) then you almost certainly will gain acceptance to another outstanding law school.

Congrats to all the admits, and if you aren't from the city, then be sure to find one of the two branches of Espresso Vivace. One of the best coffee establishments on earth--I am sure some others on this thread will back me up on this :wink:

schan06

Postby schan06 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:44 am

I called the Admissions office to check on the status of my application. The woman who answered informed me that my application was currently in review between the committees and that the latest I would get a reply is April 1st. It has been back and forth between committees. If one committee can't decide then it will move onto the next one. Hopefully we will all get a response soon, but the anticipation is pure AGONY...

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 am

Sounds like from what those who have been calling in have found, its safe to say that those of us who have been in review for quite some time (what up fellow 12/1's) are candidates they are on the fence about and that are being bounced around between the committees.

I am deciding to take this as a positive that I haven't been rejected yet.

jrmartin

Postby jrmartin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:42 am

theavrock wrote:Sounds like from what those who have been calling in have found, its safe to say that those of us who have been in review for quite some time (what up fellow 12/1's) are candidates they are on the fence about and that are being bounced around between the committees.

I am deciding to take this as a positive that I haven't been rejected yet.

This is exactly how I feel. I'm preparing for the worst.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:50 am

Just caught up... CONGRATS CHI!!! :)

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:55 am

geoduck wrote:

mustnotmediateinternetmisunderstandingmustnotmediateinternetmisunderstanding

If I end up not going to UW, I wanna donate my acceptance to get you off the waitlist.

:oops: Thanks!

I think I forgot something yesterday... what could it have been... oh here it is! :)

CONGRATULATIONS CHI!!!!

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:59 am

Kinderby wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS CHI!!!!

Also, until you mentioned teaching in Chicago, I TOTALLY was calling you "chickity teacher" and not getting it. Hopefully UW doesn't read this and reject me based on my reading comprehension skills. :oops:

krad

Postby krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 am

^ bahaha that made me laugh

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”