U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jppatt16

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby jppatt16 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:27 pm

Kinderby wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Well, he wouldn't call with BAD news, but no one has been called with an admission offer so... who knows!!!

Maybe he's starting calls to award Gates PSL scholarships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goddammit, I want to kick myself in the nuts (if I had them, haha) for not applying for this. *facepalm*

No kidding.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:57 pm

I know my Gates app wasn't as strong as Chi's but I'm really hoping. That'd make my choice a whole lot easier! Let's go Mr. Le, gimme a call!!

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

deja wrote:
akili wrote:STILL IR 12/1. Arghhh I just want to know!!

+1

+1

:(

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm

DR 7 March. Was IR 24 Jan.

165/3.6/IS

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Alright, he finally called back after my last class ended and I am IN!!!

Absolutely could NOT be happier. I am DEFINITELY attending. I will be sad to leave my students, but I can't wait to out of Chi and back to Seattle.

I have to say this process - especially UW - has been terribly agonizing, but it has been much easier with the collective support and friendship of you all. Good luck to the rest of you and I hope to see you in 1L classes next year!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:07 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Alright, he finally called back after my last class ended and I am IN!!!

Absolutely could NOT be happier. I am DEFINITELY attending. I will be sad to leave my students, but I can't wait to out of Chi and back to Seattle.

I have to say this process - especially UW - has been terribly agonizing, but it has been much easier with the collective support and friendship of you all. Good luck to the rest of you and I hope to see you in 1L classes next year!

Yay, finally!

I'm jealous of the call!!!!!!

deja

Postby deja » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:09 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Alright, he finally called back after my last class ended and I am IN!!!

Again, way to go chi!! Sad to have you leave the 12/1's :) What are your numbers like? I'm sure you've posted them before, but I'm too lazy to look back through pages and pages to find them. Thanks - and hope to be there with you!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:10 pm

I couldn't link up with the employment office peoples today so I am going to try to call them tomorrow again.

Am I the only one that cares about OCI stuff?

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Congrats!!!!

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I couldn't link up with the employment office peoples today so I am going to try to call them tomorrow again.

I haven't received a decision and I want to know!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:15 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I couldn't link up with the employment office peoples today so I am going to try to call them tomorrow again.

I care! Though it isn't my major concern right now.

and way to go Chi! They made the right choice on that one!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:22 pm

geoduck wrote:

It should be everyone's main concern, I mean, OCI is like where all the magic happens... Not just for Big Law, but for all sorts of jobs, including county/state stuff...

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Out of curiosity, I called Mr. Le just now to find out what I could do to make my application "sparkle" more, as I am thinking I may wait a year and re-apply and hope for the best. He was very helpful and gave me several good tips... but, what surprised me the most is that I was an auto-ding. He said I did not make it past the first committee review. He told me why, but still, if I went IR 1/24 and didn't make it passed the first committee, why did it take so long for them to say no? I think they were just trying to get my blood pressure up. :-) All in all, though, he was very helpful and, if I decide to wait a year, I know what to do differently, if only for UW's sake.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:25 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Out of curiosity, I called Mr. Le just now to find out what I could do to make my application "sparkle" more, as I am thinking I may wait a year and re-apply and hope for the best. He was very helpful and gave me several good tips... but, what surprised me the most is that I was an auto-ding. He said I did not make it past the first committee review. He told me why, but still, if I went IR 1/24 and didn't make it passed the first committee, why did it take so long for them to say no? I think they were just trying to get my blood pressure up. :-) All in all, though, he was very helpful and, if I decide to wait a year, I know what to do differently, if only for UW's sake.

The transparency is nice isn't it? Despite receiving bad news, at least it was from the hip and now you know what's up.

I wish more people were like that. =/

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
geoduck wrote:

It should be everyone's main concern, I mean, OCI is like where all the magic happens... Not just for Big Law, but for all sorts of jobs, including county/state stuff...

True, but at this point I'm trying to get it so I can pay as little for tier 1 as possible. If I have multiple choices after that distinction, then who has the better OCI will be the decider.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:Out of curiosity, I called Mr. Le just now to find out what I could do to make my application "sparkle" more, as I am thinking I may wait a year and re-apply and hope for the best. He was very helpful and gave me several good tips... but, what surprised me the most is that I was an auto-ding. He said I did not make it past the first committee review. He told me why, but still, if I went IR 1/24 and didn't make it passed the first committee, why did it take so long for them to say no? I think they were just trying to get my blood pressure up. :-) All in all, though, he was very helpful and, if I decide to wait a year, I know what to do differently, if only for UW's sake.

The transparency is nice isn't it? Despite receiving bad news, at least it was from the hip and now you know what's up.

Agreed. I guess I just made a tactical error, or a couple of them, actually. In retrospect, it makes sense, though. I guess I just have to learn to be more open (I'm a very closed individual.) Basically, he told me that, as a combat vet with multiple decorations, including one for heroism in battle, I should have written my personal statement about that. I didn't... I really hate writing about myself and surely don't really like having to write/speak/think about anything I've done that was judged by someone else to be brave while others did not make it out... I digress. He also stated, and this is a big one that I thought was a no-no, that they prefer resumes be long and expressive. I kept my resume to a one-page max because I thought that was the way it is supposed to be, but I was wrong. He specifically stated someone mentioned they didn't like that I only had a one page resume, especially because of my professional experience. And, lastly, he stated they like meat and potatoes. That is, if you have an addendum, don't keep it short and sweet. Use the addendum as a chance to explain whatever it is you are explaining and why it matters and what it means to you. I always though addenda were to be short and sweet and get to the point. UW prefers more substance.... Iowa doesn't mind short and sweet, though. :-)

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:49 pm

wow...I'm fucked. I literally made ALL of those mistakes. In my GPA addendum (which was a single paragraph), I gloss over serious health problems and family issues that affected me during the start of UG. Then, I wrote my personal statement on something entirely unrelated and capped the whole package off w/ a 1 page resume haha.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Agreed. I guess I just made a tactical error, or a couple of them, actually. In retrospect, it makes sense, though. I guess I just have to learn to be more open (I'm a very closed individual.) Basically, he told me that, as a combat vet with multiple decorations, including one for heroism in battle, I should have written my personal statement about that. I didn't... I really hate writing about myself and surely don't really like having to write/speak/think about anything I've done that was judged by someone else to be brave while others did not make it out... I digress. He also stated, and this is a big one that I thought was a no-no, that they prefer resumes be long and expressive. I kept my resume to a one-page max because I thought that was the way it is supposed to be, but I was wrong. He specifically stated someone mentioned they didn't like that I only had a one page resume, especially because of my professional experience. And, lastly, he stated they like meat and potatoes. That is, if you have an addendum, don't keep it short and sweet. Use the addendum as a chance to explain whatever it is you are explaining and why it matters and what it means to you. I always though addenda were to be short and sweet and get to the point. UW prefers more substance.... Iowa doesn't mind short and sweet, though. :-)

This happened to me last year too. I basically had to buy a book on how to write about myself. My previous statement was totally dry; this year's statement is almost too vulnerable for me, but I'm doing a lot better with it. (I went from Why I Want To Practice Law to Serious Personal Growth Story.)

Although my resume is only slightly longer than 1 page, but I guess that's okay because I have very little post-UG WE.
Last edited by upfish on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:53 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Agreed. I guess I just made a tactical error, or a couple of them, actually. In retrospect, it makes sense, though. I guess I just have to learn to be more open (I'm a very closed individual.) Basically, he told me that, as a combat vet with multiple decorations, including one for heroism in battle, I should have written my personal statement about that. I didn't... I really hate writing about myself and surely don't really like having to write/speak/think about anything I've done that was judged by someone else to be brave while others did not make it out... I digress. He also stated, and this is a big one that I thought was a no-no, that they prefer resumes be long and expressive. I kept my resume to a one-page max because I thought that was the way it is supposed to be, but I was wrong. He specifically stated someone mentioned they didn't like that I only had a one page resume, especially because of my professional experience. And, lastly, he stated they like meat and potatoes. That is, if you have an addendum, don't keep it short and sweet. Use the addendum as a chance to explain whatever it is you are explaining and why it matters and what it means to you. I always though addenda were to be short and sweet and get to the point. UW prefers more substance.... Iowa doesn't mind short and sweet, though. :-)

Yeah I think a lot of people on this board in particular do a great disservice by being so adamant about one page resumes. I've been involved in hiring and my dad has been doing it for decades and we and most people I talk to agree that 2 is about the golden standard for a resume. Less than 2 and it looks like you haven't done anything! More than 2 and you look like you're padding unless it's obvious that you aren't. Sorry you got penalized by the less-is-more nazis :(. UW's trying to go for the Yale/GULC approach where more is more.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:58 pm

deja wrote:

Again, way to go chi!! Sad to have you leave the 12/1's :) What are your numbers like? I'm sure you've posted them before, but I'm too lazy to look back through pages and pages to find them. Thanks - and hope to be there with you!

Thanks all. For those who are curious - 3.54/163.

deja

Postby deja » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:00 pm

geoduck wrote:Yeah I think a lot of people on this board in particular do a great disservice by being so adamant about one page resumes. I've been involved in hiring and my dad has been doing it for decades and we and most people I talk to agree that 2 is about the golden standard for a resume. Less than 2 and it looks like you haven't done anything! More than 2 and you look like you're padding unless it's obvious that you aren't. Sorry you got penalized by the less-is-more nazis :(. UW's trying to go for the Yale/GULC approach where more is more.

I think it's tough too because by all indications UW appreciates concise applications. The 700 word limit on the ps was hard for me to reach (I was still at almost 800 with the one I submitted) and so made me nervous about the length of all my other materials.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:06 pm

deja wrote:
geoduck wrote:Yeah I think a lot of people on this board in particular do a great disservice by being so adamant about one page resumes. I've been involved in hiring and my dad has been doing it for decades and we and most people I talk to agree that 2 is about the golden standard for a resume. Less than 2 and it looks like you haven't done anything! More than 2 and you look like you're padding unless it's obvious that you aren't. Sorry you got penalized by the less-is-more nazis :(. UW's trying to go for the Yale/GULC approach where more is more.

I think it's tough too because by all indications UW appreciates concise applications. The 700 word limit on the ps was hard for me to reach (I was still at almost 800 with the one I submitted) and so made me nervous about the length of all my other materials.

This. But, I will say, though he didn't come right out and say it, I think the 700 words is soft cap. After he explained what I should have written about, I told him there is no way I could fit that in 700 words (it was nearly impossible to fit what I did write about in 700 words... I literally had 700 EXACTLY), he said not to worry about it and just write it, anyway.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 pm

I find it weird that you would be an auto-ding b/c of your PS, though. Especially if it wasn't offensive but was just bland or something. I mean, did he not mention anything about #s?

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Maybe a stupid question, but how did Mr. Le pronounce his name? Lay, or Lee? Just wondering so that I don't butcher it if I call...

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:08 pm

crit_racer wrote:wow...I'm fucked. I literally made ALL of those mistakes. In my GPA addendum (which was a single paragraph), I gloss over serious health problems and family issues that affected me during the start of UG. Then, I wrote my personal statement on something entirely unrelated and capped the whole package off w/ a 1 page resume haha.

He actually mentioned GPA addenda as an example. They prefer a well written explanation as to why it happened, what you learned, why it won't happen again, how it changed your "view", and how it helps you stand out from all the others that have GPA addenda. He REALLY emphasized personalizing, to the Nth degree, everything about your application and explaining why you are different from everyone else and not leaving any stone unturned.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”