U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aggiegrad2011

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:02 pm

geoduck wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JakeL wrote:Has anyone received any sort of scholarship yet?! I'm still trying to figure out how UW is going to fill the majority of its seats with those who have already been admitted without throwing some cash around. Looking at LSN, it seems like the majority of those admitted have or will be receiving money at more prestigious schools... I know Seattle is great, but does it really have the pull to beat out T20-T25 schools with $$$???

I dunno the answer, but I wonder it too. I submitted my scholarship form (essay) about 2 days after I got admitted (so a few weeks ago) and haven't heard a peep. Now that I have an offer for a 50% grant at a competing school I think I am going to put some pressure on 'em.

W pretty much owns the PNW (I mean what's the next highest-ranked LS?) so I guess with that stranglehold they feel like they can be extra-selective. Either that or they have a big USNWR rankings push coming. Who knows!

How are you planning on putting on the pressure? I've been seriously considering phoning their FinAid department to see what their process is and emphasize that I need to hear back from them before April 8th. The "wait till all applications come in" process they took with admissions has me worried that it's going to be the same way for scholarships.

Calling Mr. Le again and expressing directly the competing offer and that, while I LOVE UW and I want to attend, I absolutely must know what my financial aid package is going to look like ASAP. He's been extremely helpful thus far so no reason to think the direct approach wouldn't be useful again. This is a business, and there's no harm in being proactive. The worst they can do is tell you no or somethin'.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Calling Mr. Le again and expressing directly the competing offer and that, while I LOVE UW and I want to attend, I absolutely must know what my financial aid package is going to look like ASAP. He's been extremely helpful thus far so no reason to think the direct approach wouldn't be useful again. This is a business, and there's no harm in being proactive. The worst they can do is tell you no or somethin'.

I gotta admit, I'm pretty excited to hear how this goes.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:18 pm

JakeL wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Calling Mr. Le again and expressing directly the competing offer and that, while I LOVE UW and I want to attend, I absolutely must know what my financial aid package is going to look like ASAP. He's been extremely helpful thus far so no reason to think the direct approach wouldn't be useful again. This is a business, and there's no harm in being proactive. The worst they can do is tell you no or somethin'.

+1 I would not be opposed if, while you're at it, you just oh-so-kindly ask them to bump our WLs up to acceptances, plsthxbai. :D

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:21 pm

Yeah in a case like this, going straight to the top does seem the most prudent action. Thanks for the confidence booster! Looks like I'll be making this call pretty soon here.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:24 pm

Kinderby wrote:
JakeL wrote:

+1 I would not be opposed if, while you're at it, you just oh-so-kindly ask them to bump our WLs up to acceptances, plsthxbai. :D

I dunno, I tried getting Adjudicator admitted and they didn't acquiesce to my demands there but I'll try. :P

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:26 pm

geoduck wrote:

Yeah in a case like this, going straight to the top does seem the most prudent action. Thanks for the confidence booster! Looks like I'll be making this call pretty soon here.

I assume he's the one that, at the end of the day, approves or denies any movement on need- or merit-based aid. I'm not entirely sure how much / many of the scholly $ is tied up in private funds that make decisions independently but he'll probably tell me if that's the case. /shrug

Folks at UW are very accommodating and nice, like I've said before. I mean look at the whole e-mail decision thing they did to fix the post office SNAFU. They're good people :D

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Since I'm on a roll, I intend to call the employment folks too and get some OCI data :twisted:

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Well I called and got his answering machine and left a basic explanation of the situation. "Hello blah blah trying to choose between UW and UMN blah blah UMN has offered a ginormous scholarship and I want to know when ya'll give out your scholarships so I can make an informed decision before UMN's April 8th deposit deadline." Not verbatim, of course :wink:. Now to wait and see how fast Mr. Le is on his callbacks.

jrmartin

Postby jrmartin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 pm

deja wrote:
akili wrote:STILL IR 12/1. Arghhh I just want to know!!

+1

+2

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:11 pm

OMG you guys will NOT believe what just happened to me.

So, as you may or may not know, I am a teacher. I'm ten minutes into one of my classes and I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. I'm thinking, it is probably my principal or something, every once in a while we get emergencies that we need to know about. I look at the phone and IMMEDIATELY recognize the 206 area code -- it is a SEATTLE number.

So I of course can't answer my phone in the middle of class or leave the room with the students there. I'm trying to keep calm while thinking to myself "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave a message....something like 'see you next year!' would be nice."

The whole rest of class my brain is in a flurry as I'm thinking/stressing about this while simultaneously teaching students.

Class gets over. As soon as the last student is out the door I check my voicemail and its a message from mother-fracking MR. LE whom I spoke with yesterday on the phone!

All he says is, "Hey [chicityteacher], its Mr. Le from UW, call me back when you get a chance..."

I call him back and get his voicemail and I'm like NOOOOOO -- my next class is already coming in the door!

And now I'm on break and he still won't answer his phone!

And my status has changed to "Decision"

And I have yet to hear from Mr. Le.

WTF

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:15 pm

chicityteacher wrote:OMG you guys will NOT believe what just happened to me.

So, as you may or may not know, I am a teacher. I'm ten minutes into one of my classes and I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. I'm thinking, it is probably my principal or something, every once in a while we get emergencies that we need to know about. I look at the phone and IMMEDIATELY recognize the 206 area code -- it is a SEATTLE number.

So I of course can't answer my phone in the middle of class or leave the room with the students there. I'm trying to keep calm while thinking to myself "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave a message....something like 'see you next year!' would be nice."

The whole rest of class my brain is in a flurry as I'm thinking/stressing about this while simultaneously teaching students.

Class gets over. As soon as the last student is out the door I check my voicemail and its a message from mother-fracking MR. LE whom I spoke with yesterday on the phone!

All he says is, "Hey [chicityteacher], its Mr. Le from UW, call me back when you get a chance..."

I call him back and get his voicemail and I'm like NOOOOOO -- my next class is already coming in the door!

And now I'm on break and he still won't answer his phone!

And my status has changed to "Decision"

And I have yet to hear from Mr. Le.

WTF

KJEFKLWJEKFL!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

krad

Postby krad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:15 pm

^ :shock: :shock: GOOD LUCK!!

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

I bet it's good news...I can't imagine he would call you with bad news.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

omg Chi.......I bet its good news too. GOOD LUCK!!!

akili

Postby akili » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

Man, now I'm wondering if I should call and ask about my 12/1 application...

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:25 pm

Well, he wouldn't call with BAD news, but no one has been called with an admission offer so... who knows!!!

Maybe he's starting calls to award Gates PSL scholarships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:26 pm

askfj;avja;sdrupiouerpI@!#!@!!!!! Chi, that's so great!! :D

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:27 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Well, he wouldn't call with BAD news, but no one has been called with an admission offer so... who knows!!!

Maybe he's starting calls to award Gates PSL scholarships!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goddammit, I want to kick myself in the nuts (if I had them, haha) for not applying for this. *facepalm*

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Wow!!! Congrats! You're about to get the hookup! I wouldn't be surprised if it WAS the Gates PSL.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Went to check my status checker... expecting the same "In Review"

Current Status: Decision

......oh my god
Last edited by gens1tb on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Good luck, you guys; for those of you still waiting, I'm still IR 1/24, so you're not alone...

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:39 pm

SMA22 wrote:Good luck, you guys; for those of you still waiting, I'm still IR 1/24, so you're not alone...

me tooooooo

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:45 pm

I guess it's presumptuous, but I think you're going to UW chicity

amers73

Postby amers73 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Good luck chicity! I bet its good news!

deja

Postby deja » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah, I'll have to add my congratulations too - way to go chi!!

And in the off chance it's not an actual admission, then way to go on a call from Mathiew!! :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”