U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amers73

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby amers73 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:43 pm

I also called today and I'm in!!

165, 3.6 okay softs. I'm pretty happy with this one!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:44 pm

falias wrote:Given that the UW seeks diversity and all that, they technically cannot give any preference to URMs because I-200 was passed in WA. The optional questions on the app that asked about race, etc. are separated from the first part of the application, and only used for statistical purposes later. Now, that doesn't mean they don't know if you're a URM. Foreign-born applicants indicate the country of birth (but can't necessarily conclude race from that) on the first part of the app, and I'm sure most URMs talk about it in the their PS. So they can know, but they cannot use it as a factor in the decision.

I believe that it's fairly well known that UW favors URMs highly on their meager scholarship dispersal.

Also, the language of I-200 could easily be interpreted to mean that they cannot discriminate for educational hiring and that it has little to do with school admissions. Even if it meant that, all it really does is eliminate quotas and prevent huge URM compensation. Racial status is on numerous documents, including LSAC transcript, and there is no way to force adcomms to be race-blind. URM is still a soft, even if it isn't a quota.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:55 pm

So I have been in review since 2/1 and I applied on 1/15. This was a reach school for me so I wasn't thinking much of it. I live in Seattle and figured it would be nuts if I didn't at least try to apply. But I called today and the lady was a little frustrated it seems. You could tell she was tried of these kinds of calls but she was still open to answering questions.

Anyway, even though my status checker says in review 2/1 a decision has been made and a letter has been sent out on 2/22. She didn't tell me I was in so I am assuming it was a deny. :oops: But I figured Id post to give hope to those checking their status. What is posted might not be true. Will let you know once I get the letter in the mail.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:58 pm

geoduck wrote:Then I just pop on Telemundo and notice all of the natural-born Mexicans who look whiter than I do and remember that Mexican is more than a skin-tone :D

I am a "natural-born" Mexican and I look as white as can be. It is all about history, conquistadors--->colony----> Mexican Revolution, etc. The European/Spanish fair skin complexion continues to be dominant in a large subset of the population. I struggled with this for a half sec when answering the two part Ethnicity/Race questions. I always considered myself Mexican and have identified as such on every application to date. Now the question is two fold, ethnicity and race. When given the option (only a few apps had such an option) I put Hispanic/Mexican-American, but on those that didn't, I just chose Hispanic/White.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:59 pm

dey206 wrote:So I have been in review since 2/1 and I applied on 1/15. This was a reach school for me so I wasn't thinking much of it. I live in Seattle and figured it would be nuts if I didn't at least try to apply. But I called today and the lady was a little frustrated it seems. You could tell she was tried of these kinds of calls but she was still open to answering questions.

Anyway, even though my status checker says in review 2/1 a decision has been made and a letter has been sent out on 2/22. She didn't tell me I was in so I am assuming it was a deny. :oops: But I figured Id post to give hope to those checking their status. What is posted might not be true. Will let you know once I get the letter in the mail.

They didn't tell me the first time either. It seems like they only tell over the phone if you have been waiting for a long time for the letter or are not going to be able to check the mail for some reason (for instance, travel). I'd call back if you don't get anything by the 7th.

chihuahua12

Postby chihuahua12 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:00 pm

My decision was given over the phone just now... in :D 2/15 batch. PM for stats.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:02 pm

I kind of want to call and see what's up with my application. I'm still at IR 12/1.

falias

Postby falias » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:06 pm

geoduck wrote:
falias wrote:Given that the UW seeks diversity and all that, they technically cannot give any preference to URMs because I-200 was passed in WA. The optional questions on the app that asked about race, etc. are separated from the first part of the application, and only used for statistical purposes later. Now, that doesn't mean they don't know if you're a URM. Foreign-born applicants indicate the country of birth (but can't necessarily conclude race from that) on the first part of the app, and I'm sure most URMs talk about it in the their PS. So they can know, but they cannot use it as a factor in the decision.

I believe that it's fairly well known that UW favors URMs highly on their meager scholarship dispersal.

Also, the language of I-200 could easily be interpreted to mean that they cannot discriminate for educational hiring and that it has little to do with school admissions. Even if it meant that, all it really does is eliminate quotas and prevent huge URM compensation. Racial status is on numerous documents, including LSAC transcript, and there is no way to force adcomms to be race-blind. URM is still a soft, even if it isn't a quota.

True about the scholarships, but that should technically not be attributed to being a URM. I-200 definitely applies to public school admissions in WA, and the UW takes it seriously. UG admissions and all the separate school admissions offices were given training in 1999 (with renewed training each year for new committee members and student ambassadors). Basically during the internal discussions of any admission panel, certain factors, primarily race, cannot be discussed or notated at any time. There is no discretion about how the wording of I-200 can be interpreted, standards were set when it was first initiated. But, like you said, the application makes it pretty hard to be race-blind. However, whatever consideration is given to race, it all happens within the minds of the committee members, not verbally or on paper.
Last edited by falias on Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orbitz1200

Postby orbitz1200 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

I was also a 1/21 IR with a decision letter sent 2/15 that changed to Decision 2/28 today. After reading today's posts, I called and was informed that I've been accepted! I'm actually a bit surprised. 164/3.67, but I do have rather unique softs (I'm a musician and photographer who edits encyclopedias and works with an artist collective).

deja

Postby deja » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:07 pm

akili wrote:I kind of want to call and see what's up with my application. I'm still at IR 12/1.

I'm right there with you... Let me know what they tell you :D I'm afraid to be the 1,000th caller today that they decide to snap on and deny me because I called.

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:10 pm

deja wrote:
akili wrote:I kind of want to call and see what's up with my application. I'm still at IR 12/1.

I'm right there with you... Let me know what they tell you :D I'm afraid to be the 1,000th caller today that they decide to snap on and deny me because I called.

Haha yeah...I'm nervous to call as well. I think I might wait for the end of this week. It's honestly getting to the point where I'll be too far along with plans for other schools for a UW acceptance to really change things for me. I don't want to get excited about UW because it's so unpredictable, but I want to be excited about my other acceptances...

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:13 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
geoduck wrote:Then I just pop on Telemundo and notice all of the natural-born Mexicans who look whiter than I do and remember that Mexican is more than a skin-tone :D

I am a "natural-born" Mexican and I look as white as can be. It is all about history, conquistadors--->colony----> Mexican Revolution, etc. The European/Spanish fair skin complexion continues to be dominant in a large subset of the population. I struggled with this for a half sec when answering the two part Ethnicity/Race questions. I always considered myself Mexican and have identified as such on every application to date. Now the question is two fold, ethnicity and race. When given the option (only a few apps had such an option) I put Hispanic/Mexican-American, but on those that didn't, I just chose Hispanic/White.

Yeah I had the same pause, but quickly got over it and marked everything Hispanic/Caucasian and checked/wrote in Mexican wherever allowed. Ethnically I'm Mexican, even if I have only a drop of Aztec. If nothing else, my status can hopefully help teach some gueros that Mexicans aren't just short brown people. Also, hopefully it'll teach them that it isn't safe to tell racist jokes just cause everybody in the room has light-colored eyes.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 pm

wtf still UR 12/1 :x

dey206

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:21 pm

[quote= Also, hopefully it'll teach them that it isn't safe to tell racist jokes just cause everybody in the room has light-colored eyes.[/quote]

Lol is that what happens when us brown eyes aren't around?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:24 pm

dey206 wrote:[quote= Also, hopefully it'll teach them that it isn't safe to tell racist jokes just cause everybody in the room has light-colored eyes.

Lol is that what happens when us brown eyes aren't around?[/quote]

This has actually happened a few times. It can happen around brown eyes if they're pretty crackery otherwise, but it seems to be more likely when it's just blue and green. It's kinda weird... Sometimes it's really not the person you expected to be racist.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:32 pm

Does telling racist jokes necessarily make you racist?

HERE WE GO WAY OT!!!!

dey206

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:34 pm

No but who has time to sit around telling racist jokes? Is that really even fun to do? Anyway lets keep the topic on decisions at UW...didnt mean to get off topic with my comment.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:42 pm

dey206 wrote:No but who has time to sit around telling racist jokes? Is that really even fun to do? Anyway lets keep the topic on decisions at UW...didnt mean to get off topic with my comment.

Agreed. Aaaand back on topic.

Does anyone else find it hilarious that the UW Admitted Students page is completely unsecured?

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:05 pm

God, you guys are making ME want to call. IR 1/21 and no visible movement at all. I've been fine just waiting for a packet or a deny letter, but I think I'm going to schedule a visit next weekend when I'm in Seattle and see if they'll tell me then.

falias

Postby falias » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:10 pm

upfish wrote:God, you guys are making ME want to call. IR 1/21 and no visible movement at all. I've been fine just waiting for a packet or a deny letter, but I think I'm going to schedule a visit next weekend when I'm in Seattle and see if they'll tell me then.

+1. I went in last week, asked, and all they said is it's still in review unless you get a letter posted, otherwise we will have to wait it out up to 04/01. :( They admitted to there being some delay and discrepancies in what the status checker says though, not that that helps in any way, it just makes it more nerve racking...

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:57 pm

Congratulations to all the phone-admits! :)

hector311

Postby hector311 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

in with 165/3.9 + 2 years work experience and 2 years international service experience. But we've established that UW doesn't look for LSAT/GPA or work experience...so I think its because I am a ginger kid...straight up red hair, beard...the works. ya its gotta be the ginger kid appeal

rubbersoul89

Postby rubbersoul89 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 pm

Just got a phone call from a law student at UW letting me know I was accepted! They must have started doing this since they've had trouble getting out the letters?

akili

Postby akili » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:30 pm

rubbersoul89 wrote:Just got a phone call from a law student at UW letting me know I was accepted! They must have started doing this since they've had trouble getting out the letters?

Did you have a decision letter sent on your status checker? When was your IR date?

CONGRATS!

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:32 pm

Just got an e-mail from Mr. Le. I am in!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”