U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fencod

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby fencod » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:39 pm

geoduck wrote:So I talked to them on the phone again. The whole 2/15 batch has had problems getting out apparently. They wouldn't go into details, sadly. I thought to push, but then they agreed to let me know the decision over the phone. I figure that there's no reason to reward them relaxing their phone policy by being bitchy. Especially since I got in! So here are the final stats for those just tuning in...

169/No GPA/URM-Mexican/Washington Resident since '88. Applied 1/15, In Review 2/1, "Decision letter mailed" 2/15, Called on 2/23 to check in and was told that the letter went out on 2/22, Status changed to "Decision" on 2/28, Accepted via phone call on 2/28.

congrats dude! now to wait for the mythical envelope.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:49 pm

Congratulations, geoduck!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:50 pm

geoduck wrote:So I talked to them on the phone again. The whole 2/15 batch has had problems getting out apparently. They wouldn't go into details, sadly. I thought to push, but then they agreed to let me know the decision over the phone. I figure that there's no reason to reward them relaxing their phone policy by being bitchy. Especially since I got in! So here are the final stats for those just tuning in...

169/No GPA/URM-Mexican/Washington Resident since '88. Applied 1/15, In Review 2/1, "Decision letter mailed" 2/15, Called on 2/23 to check in and was told that the letter went out on 2/22, Status changed to "Decision" on 2/28, Accepted via phone call on 2/28.

Congrats! I'm glad they finally decided to give you a decision over the phone rather than make you wait until next week April to receive the letter in the mail!

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm

<3 geoduck! Congrats!! Glad it worked out for you.

goingeast

Postby goingeast » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:59 pm

evandm wrote:
amers73 wrote:geoduck, are you still waiting on your 2/15 letter too? Anybody else out there waiting on their decision letter 2/15?

I'm waiting on this too.

Ditto.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Hey I just realized that tomorrow is the 3 month anniversary of being "In Review." Thoughts on a celebration? So far I'm planning on drinking myself into oblivion.

blackbird

Postby blackbird » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Congrats! As a fellow member of the Decision Letter 2/15 club, I hope to meet with similar success soon. Just curious: was there anything about the call that suggested the letters will be taking a considerable amount longer to get out? Or did they remain too vague to guess from what was said?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:10 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Congrats! I'm glad they finally decided to give you a decision over the phone rather than make you wait until next week April to receive the letter in the mail!

And I was just getting ready to receive my packet on April 1st :o

lokist86

Postby lokist86 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I have a feeling that a lot more people will be calling into UW these next couple of days. :P

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:15 pm

blackbird wrote:

Congrats! As a fellow member of the Decision Letter 2/15 club, I hope to meet with similar success soon. Just curious: was there anything about the call that suggested the letters will be taking a considerable amount longer to get out? Or did they remain too vague to guess from what was said?

Well... She was pretty vague. She sort of thought out loud about the possible need to resend some, but I would not take that as any indication of a set game plan. I'd encourage calling. Worst case scenario, it'll help them realize that they need to speed up on their reaction to the batch problem. Best case, you'll get your decision!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:16 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Hey I just realized that tomorrow is the 3 month anniversary of being "In Review." Thoughts on a celebration? So far I'm planning on drinking myself into oblivion.

Buy a Husky.

jrmartin

Postby jrmartin » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:17 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Hey I just realized that tomorrow is the 3 month anniversary of being "In Review." Thoughts on a celebration? So far I'm planning on drinking myself into oblivion.

Yeah, I would too but it's a work day.

Not looking forward to the rejection.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

I hate myself... I told myself I was done checking the UW status checker because all it does is cause more anxiety... So, of course, I go and check... Current Status: Decision. Mailings show Decision Letter sent 02/28/2011. Bah.

blackbird

Postby blackbird » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:45 pm

So being another person waiting for a 2/15 letter I decided to take geoduck's advice and call in:

Applied 11/29/2010, IR 1/24/2011, Decision Letter 2/15, Decision 2/28, in via phone call 2/28.

LSAT 162, GPA 3.67, probably average softs (lots of volunteer work, an inconsequential amount of work experience, study abroad in the Middle East). I honestly cannot fill you in on the exact quality of my PS or LoR's, since I just don't consider myself a good judge of these things. I identify myself as being of both Mexican and Caucasian descent, but I don't really know how the whole URM thing works and if I am therefore considered as such.

Thanks to my uncertainties this probably isn't as helpful to people as they might like, and I'm sorry for that... But for now it's dancin' time! 8)

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:47 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:I hate myself... I told myself I was done checking the UW status checker because all it does is cause more anxiety... So, of course, I go and check... Current Status: Decision. Mailings show Decision Letter sent 02/28/2011. Bah.

Eek! You can do it! Hopefully they figured out how to get the letter into the box by now.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:50 pm

So, two URMs with solid numbers got in today... Congrats to both.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:51 pm

geoduck wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:I hate myself... I told myself I was done checking the UW status checker because all it does is cause more anxiety... So, of course, I go and check... Current Status: Decision. Mailings show Decision Letter sent 02/28/2011. Bah.

Eek! You can do it! Hopefully they figured out how to get the letter into the box by now.

Haha... yeah... But, what do my dates even mean? For all I know, my letter could be in my mailbox right now, or it may not be sent for 3 weeks.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:53 pm

blackbird wrote:So being another person waiting for a 2/15 letter I decided to take geoduck's advice and call in:

Applied 11/29/2010, IR 1/24/2011, Decision Letter 2/15, Decision 2/28, in via phone call 2/28.

LSAT 162, GPA 3.67, probably average softs (lots of volunteer work, an inconsequential amount of work experience, study abroad in the Middle East). I honestly cannot fill you in on the exact quality of my PS or LoR's, since I just don't consider myself a good judge of these things. I identify myself as being of both Mexican and Caucasian descent, but I don't really know how the whole URM thing works and if I am therefore considered as such.

Thanks to my uncertainties this probably isn't as helpful to people as they might like, and I'm sorry for that... But for now it's dancin' time! 8)

Welcome to the club! So far, it does seem like 2/15 was an acceptance batch day. I think 'technically' you have to be a quarter Mexican to count. My grandmother was Mexican, so that's my quarter. So as long as you have that amount of AA, Mexican or Puerto Rican, you are a URM. The Native Americans have much more lenient percentages as long as they have ties to an actual tribe.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:00 pm

geoduck wrote:Welcome to the club! So far, it does seem like 2/15 was an acceptance batch day. I think 'technically' you have to be a quarter Mexican to count. My grandmother was Mexican, so that's my quarter. So as long as you have that amount of AA, Mexican or Puerto Rican, you are a URM. The Native Americans have much more lenient percentages as long as they have ties to an actual tribe.

Do you think being 100% German should count?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:04 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
geoduck wrote:Welcome to the club! So far, it does seem like 2/15 was an acceptance batch day. I think 'technically' you have to be a quarter Mexican to count. My grandmother was Mexican, so that's my quarter. So as long as you have that amount of AA, Mexican or Puerto Rican, you are a URM. The Native Americans have much more lenient percentages as long as they have ties to an actual tribe.

Do you think being 100% German should count?

Last I checked, Germans are pretty well represented in the legal community. Though as a German, Mexican, Irishman, I'd be pretty set if that weren't the case!

blackbird

Postby blackbird » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:20 pm

Yeah, I am about 1/4 Mexican, mostly by way of my maternal grandmother. That said, both my features and my last name are decidedly German.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:24 pm

blackbird wrote:

Yeah, I am about 1/4 Mexican, mostly by way of my maternal grandmother. That said, both my features and my last name are decidedly German.

Right on. There seems to be something about Mexicans that Germans just can't get enough of. The sucky part about being 1/4 is that you get to tell your kids "Well Affirmative Action worked for me... you're on your own!". At least I get to since my wife is half Argentinean, half Scandinavian.

please...

Postby please... » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm an American mutt, but my last name and Aryan good looks clearly let the world know that I'm German.

falias

Postby falias » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:33 pm

Given that the UW seeks diversity and all that, they technically cannot give any preference to URMs because I-200 was passed in WA. The optional questions on the app that asked about race, etc. are separated from the first part of the application, and only used for statistical purposes later. Now, that doesn't mean they don't know if you're a URM. Foreign-born applicants indicate the country of birth (but can't necessarily conclude race from that) on the first part of the app, and I'm sure most URMs talk about it in the their PS. So they can know, but they cannot use it as a factor in the decision.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:38 pm

please... wrote:

I'm an American mutt, but my last name and Aryan good looks clearly let the world know that I'm German.

Yeah. Looking mostly white (especially since it's hard to keep any color in your skin when there's no sunlight for months at a time) in the NW can sometimes be tough. People do generally pass you off as just white. But for me all it takes to shake it off is to remember that the Mexi side of your family is about 10 times the size of the German side. Then I just pop on Telemundo and notice all of the natural-born Mexicans who look whiter than I do and remember that Mexican is more than a skin-tone :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”