U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
geoduck

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby geoduck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:57 am

I don't know what the issue is. Maybe they are understaffed or the new director of admissions is good one on one but bad at big picture management, but whatever the case something is wrong. Bigger and smaller schools have had no trouble keeping people informed in a timely manner... And these are schools that are still taking in applications! UW hasn't accepted one for a month and a half.

In a professional office, a verbally telling someone that 'it went in the mail yesterday' means exactly what it sounds like. This 'it's in the mail' crap is for broke people faking out their creditors.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:02 am

geoduck wrote:I don't know what the issue is. Maybe they are understaffed or the new director of admissions is good one on one but bad at big picture management, but whatever the case something is wrong. Bigger and smaller schools have had no trouble keeping people informed in a timely manner... And these are schools that are still taking in applications! UW hasn't accepted one for a month and a half.

In a professional office, a verbally telling someone that 'it went in the mail yesterday' means exactly what it sounds like. This 'it's in the mail' crap is for broke people faking out their creditors.

If we replaced UW with a girl's name, the last 10+ pages of this thread would sound like some guy dissing his ex after she dumps him.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:08 am

PinkCow wrote:
geoduck wrote:I don't know what the issue is. Maybe they are understaffed or the new director of admissions is good one on one but bad at big picture management, but whatever the case something is wrong. Bigger and smaller schools have had no trouble keeping people informed in a timely manner... And these are schools that are still taking in applications! UW hasn't accepted one for a month and a half.

If we replaced UW with a girl's name, the last 10+ pages of this thread would sound like some guy dissing his ex after she dumps him.

Then the girl in question has had a lot of exes :shock:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:39 am

Having worked in the Army, I'd like you to know that a letter can indeed leave one building and take 6 weeks to arrive 3 buildings down!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:00 am

Lol I don't doubt it. But I don't think federal bureaucracy should be something to aspire to :wink:

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:09 am

geoduck wrote:Lol I don't doubt it. But I don't think federal bureaucracy should be something to aspire to :wink:

Maybe not, although I'd like to say that the USPS delivers lots of mail for a low price in a timely fashion on a daily basis, and the Dept of Trans keeps my freeways and roads mostly clear of potholes and crappiness, etc.

I dunno why they're acting like such sillyheads with you guys. I've really never experienced anything BUT top notch service and support from UW. Maybe all the happy people went on vacation and left all the crabby people? :(

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:19 pm

geoduck wrote:Okay. Now I'm starting to get pissed. Again, nothing in the mailbox. I have literally sent packages back and forth to Portland for work twice since they initially said they were sending the letter. Matter of fact... Lewis and Clark got their acceptance packet into my mailbox 3 days after I was accepted. This is ridiculous.

you could always call the office.

layercake

Postby layercake » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:10 pm

I have been thinking about why it is taking so long to notify people.

Last year, there were 2500 applicants and they accepted around 500, out of which 200 enrolled. On the website for admissions they do say that they start accepting applications in October, but start making decisions on applications from January 16 to April 1 (that is only 2 1/2 months or 50 work days).I also read somewhere on the admissions website that the applications are reviewed in the order they are submitted. I do not think that translates into decisions are made in the order the applications are reviewed or submitted. Maybe some applications are reviewed and then set aside before any decision is made so that they can compare it with the make up of the class or with other applications yet to be reviewed? Speculation.

I believe a UW student posted here saying that your application gets reviewed by a 3 person panel and if unanimous then you receive a decision otherwise it moves on to a bigger panel. Assuming that, then for 2500 applicants in 50 days (ignoring the auto admits and auto rejects, probably a small number anyways) that means 50 applicants reviewed every day. It is reasonable to think that there might be 2 or 3 of these three person teams considering the amount of applications. So far about 25 working days have passed, in a best case scenario they would have gone through half the applications. I do believe that February and early March is where most of the work gets done.

Also, on LSN there are only 180 applicants, that is 7.2% of the total applicants expected. I would not think they are a representative sample, actually they probably share a lot of traits (good ones) like being organized, applied early, etc. which might skew the data. I think there are A LOT of people that are still in review on 12/1 or 1/21 or whatever date your status checker says, not only the few on here or on LSN that say they are.

Or, the new admissions dean completely changed the procedure and everything written on the website was never updated, at which point please disregard what is written above.

Hopefully, this makes some people feel better. Was it in the movie The Happening where John Leguizamo's character said that statistics help calm people down?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:31 pm

rs2004 wrote:
geoduck wrote:Okay. Now I'm starting to get pissed. Again, nothing in the mailbox. I have literally sent packages back and forth to Portland for work twice since they initially said they were sending the letter. Matter of fact... Lewis and Clark got their acceptance packet into my mailbox 3 days after I was accepted. This is ridiculous.

you could always call the office.

Thanks for reading. I already have. They refused to help me beyond giving me the 'it's in the mail' schtick. I live 2 miles from the campus.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:36 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
geoduck wrote:Lol I don't doubt it. But I don't think federal bureaucracy should be something to aspire to :wink:

Maybe not, although I'd like to say that the USPS delivers lots of mail for a low price in a timely fashion on a daily basis, and the Dept of Trans keeps my freeways and roads mostly clear of potholes and crappiness, etc.

I dunno why they're acting like such sillyheads with you guys. I've really never experienced anything BUT top notch service and support from UW. Maybe all the happy people went on vacation and left all the crabby people? :(

I think the fact that you've been interacting personally with financial services people and the director himself has skewed the treatment that you're getting. The USPS isn't super efficient, but is competent enough to get a letter across town in a day. I know because I've done it here often. At this point, it's all of UW's head for blatantly lying about their shipping dates.

ffonsok

Postby ffonsok » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:34 pm

Still IR 1/24.

Anyone else IR 1/24 hear back yet?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:02 pm

ffonsok wrote:Still IR 1/24.

i am 1/21, heard nothing.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:09 pm

UW got killed in the newest NLJ placement data. Not even in the top 50 schools. I'm not really looking to work for a law firm, but I wonder if this means they're struggling to place in general, whether it's into PI, etc.

fencod

Postby fencod » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:30 pm

ffonsok wrote:Still IR 1/24.

same

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:19 pm

whitman wrote:UW got killed in the newest NLJ placement data. Not even in the top 50 schools. I'm not really looking to work for a law firm, but I wonder if this means they're struggling to place in general, whether it's into PI, etc.

Link?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:54 pm

chicityteacher wrote:
whitman wrote:UW got killed in the newest NLJ placement data. Not even in the top 50 schools. I'm not really looking to work for a law firm, but I wonder if this means they're struggling to place in general, whether it's into PI, etc.

Link?

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
"We've ranked the top 50 law schools by the percentage of juris doctor graduates in 2010 who took jobs at NLJ 250 firms, the nation's largest law firms identified by our NLJ 250 annual survey. Besides the top 50 Go-To Law Schools, we've identified firm favorites — the schools from which law firms on the NLJ 250 recruited the most graduates. This year, we've also included annual tuition costs at the 50 Go-To Law Schools. — Leigh Jones "

so this info is from surveys?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:09 pm

ok so get ready for this guys.
Got my UW rejection letter today in the mail. It is dated 2/22/11.
My status checker still says In Review 1/21.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:18 pm

rs2004 wrote:ok so get ready for this guys.

Do you have anything listed under Mailings?

I'm also in the 1/21 batch. I'm not sure whether to expect my own letter any day or, like another in-the-know poster said, be prepared to wait until April. Neither would entirely surprise me.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:22 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
rs2004 wrote:ok so get ready for this guys.

Do you have anything listed under Mailings?

I'm also in the 1/21 batch. I'm not sure whether to expect my own letter any day or, like another in-the-know poster said, be prepared to wait until April. Neither would entirely surprise me.

just the date my application was received 11/15/10.

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:22 pm

Got my waitlist letter today. I'm still in review on the status check...see ya later West Coast.

jcl2

Postby jcl2 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:26 pm

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. The schools between 50 and 30 range from 10-15% NLJ placement. When you have a graduating class of only about 170, it doesn't take many people to change the percentage going to NLJ firms from year to year by five points. I think last year UW was around 30 with about 15%. Also, there aren't many NLJ 250 firms in Seattle, but there are a few other mid sized firms in the region that pay 100k+ and hire UW grads. It seems like somewhere in the neighborhood of top 20-30% will allow you to be competitive for biglaw jobs, but if you really want biglaw, and nothing else will do, you shouldn't go to law school unless you get into a top 6 school.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:29 pm

jcl2 wrote:

I wouldn't put too much stock in that. The schools between 50 and 30 range from 10-15% NLJ placement. When you have a graduating class of only about 170, it doesn't take many people to change the percentage going to NLJ firms from year to year by five points. I think last year UW was around 30 with about 15%. Also, there aren't many NLJ 250 firms in Seattle, but there are a few other mid sized firms in the region that pay 100k+ and hire UW grads. It seems like somewhere in the neighborhood of top 20-30% will allow you to be competitive for biglaw jobs, but if you really want biglaw, and nothing else will do, you shouldn't go to law school unless you get into a top 6 school.

i really do not understand the fascination with biglaw.

athenian

Postby athenian » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:52 pm

Decision letter sent 2/16. Finally arrived here on the east coast, 2/26. Rejected with a 2.95, 169.

I'm bummed by this one, I was really starting to fall for Washington.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:23 pm

Just got the DING in the mail. Really loved what Washington had to offer, but not to disappointed: saw the rejection coming.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:24 pm

<3 to all my fellow victims of the ding.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”