U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ScrabbleChamp

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

apaint wrote:For those vets who were curious about the tuition discount I contacted the VA about the 50% discount for non-resident veterans who attend UW. Below is the e-mail I received.

"I’m not familiar with the grad program discounts but if you are a veteran who has served in a war or conflict or served in support of those who have then you may be approved for our veteran waiver. As a non-resident you would still be able to use the waiver, but you would only receive 50% of the in-state rate. Any non-resident tuition charges would be your responsibility. I’ve attached 2 forms that you will need to fill out. We will also need a copy of your DD214 (member copy #4). You would basically receive exactly what our resident veterans receive."

That goes in line with what I was told. I was told that, if you have Post 9/11 @ 100%, regardless of in-state/OOS, you will not have a tuition/fees expense.

apaint

Postby apaint » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:14 pm

OK UW....show scrabble some love!

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Anyone checked their mail yet today? <sorry to bump>

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:28 pm

krad wrote:Anyone checked their mail yet today? <sorry to bump>

I did, I got a Cooley mailer! ;)

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:32 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Ha... me too. It was actually quite nice. Very friendly and inviting. If I hadn't found TLS, decided to do absolutely no research prior applying to law schools, and had no common sense, I'd totally be tricked into applying to Cooley.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:54 pm

Checked the mail, no UW letter of any sort. Looks like I'll have to wait another 24 more hours -_-

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:55 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

Ha... me too. It was actually quite nice. Very friendly and inviting. If I hadn't found TLS, decided to do absolutely no research prior applying to law schools, and had no common sense, I'd totally be tricked into applying to Cooley.

:shock: Thank goodness for TLS!

Looks like I'll probably be waiting until next Monday eve :| bummer.

e: thx for letting me know, though, yall!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:04 pm

Not yet, but U of Minnesota just called and e-mailed me to tell me that I was accepted. Oh UW, why must you play so hard to get?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:40 pm

geoduck wrote:

Not yet, but U of Minnesota just called and e-mailed me to tell me that I was accepted. Oh UW, why must you play so hard to get?

Congrats :)

samilabuena

Postby samilabuena » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm

geoduck wrote: Oh UW, why must you play so hard to get?

I know, right? Meanwhile, I'm getting some really good offers. If I don't hear from them very, very soon, they may be off of my love list.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:47 pm

samilabuena wrote:

I know, right? Meanwhile, I'm getting some really good offers. If I don't hear from them very, very soon, they may be off of my love list.

Yeah. It's actually their own fault that I'm getting impatient. I applied on the last day possible and really wasn't expecting to hear back until March (since I know their bureaucracy is massive), but then they jumped the gun and marked down that my letter was sent last Tuesday. If they'd just ignored their status checkers like L&C and UMN, I'd've thought they were being super quick by getting the letter to me in February! (Yes I'm assuming February. There's no way it takes a whole work week to go from the U District to South Lake Union.)

Edit: Yep. Nothing in the mail yet. Apparently it takes more than two days to travel two miles.
Last edited by geoduck on Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puttanesca

Postby Puttanesca » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Just looked at my status checker - Decision 2/24. Was IR 1/21

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:00 pm

Puttanesca wrote:Just looked at my status checker - Decision 2/24. Was IR 1/21

I jumped to check my email since I was IR 1/21 too, but no dice. :( Hope yours is an admit!

akili

Postby akili » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:05 pm

I have been In Review for almost 3 months. WTH UW?

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 pm

akili wrote:I have been In Review for almost 3 months. WTH UW?

Ditto. This is effing ridiculous. I am actually already setting up plans to retake and reapply next year...

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:13 pm

geoduck wrote:
samilabuena wrote:

Yeah. It's actually their own fault that I'm getting impatient. I applied on the last day possible and really wasn't expecting to hear back until March (since I know their bureaucracy is massive), but then they jumped the gun and marked down that my letter was sent last Tuesday. If they'd just ignored their status checkers like L&C and UMN, I'd've thought they were being super quick by getting the letter to me in February! (Yes I'm assuming February. There's no way it takes a whole work week to go from the U District to South Lake Union.)

Edit: Yep. Nothing in the mail yet. Apparently it takes more than two days to travel two miles.

I can identify with this. I emailed Vanderbilt this morning, and they returned my email five minutes later to inform me that they would be delighted to cover my transportation costs to attend an evening meet and greet with alumni in Tokyo... Meanwhile, it has been 3 days since I emailed UW to inquire about the status of my decision letter, which was supposedly sent on 2/10. Insofar as first impressions matter, UW really isn't doing itself any favors. I am not even sure I am going to bother opening their letter when and if it ever arrives.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:18 pm

I've had nothing but prompt replies from UW and was admitted fairly rapidly in the cycle. Whenever I call or e-mail over there it's a fast turn-around. Mr. Lee, the Director of Fin Aid & Admissions, spoke to me on the phone for half an hour of his time and had no qualms with it. I guess everyone's mileage may vary with any school. Kinda weird how that works, but I've had crappy times getting a hold of people at other schools including my alma mater when other folks get replies or answers really fast.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:18 pm

FWIW I called admissions admissions yesterday as I, too, am still UR 12/1. The lady told me that the admissions committee only started reviewing apps on 1/17, when they got back from winter break. As this was MLK day, I took that to mean 1/18. When I said that I know of people who were admitted quite a while ago (from this thread), she said that these were basically auto admits, namely people who did not need to go through the entire admissions process but who at first review were offered admission. So, she said that since they have only been really looking at apps for about a month, there was absolutely no guarantee as to when I would hear anything but that it would def. be before 4/1. She advised me to submit my fafsa by the end of this week and wait.... like I have been doing since November :x

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:21 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:

FWIW I called admissions admissions yesterday as I, too, am still UR 12/1. The lady told me that the admissions committee only started reviewing apps on 1/17, when they got back from winter break. As this was MLK day, I took that to mean 1/18. When I said that I know of people who were admitted quite a while ago (from this thread), she said that these were basically auto admits, namely people who did not need to go through the entire admissions process but who at first review were offered admission. So, she said that since they have only been really looking at apps for about a month, there was absolutely no guarantee as to when I would hear anything but that it would def. be before 4/1. She advised me to submit my fafsa by the end of this week and wait.... like I have been doing since November :x

UW = Failblog.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:

I guess I just don't quite understand what auto-admit means at UW then. Maybe in-staters? I feel like I have strong numbers for UW, spent my UG in Washington AND this is my second time applying. I just don't get it. It's frustrating because I would like to keep them at the top of my list...

Also, I'm still mad that they rejected Adjudicator. That was just wrong :(

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:34 pm

akili wrote:
Mr_Brightside wrote:

I guess I just don't quite understand what auto-admit means at UW then. Maybe in-staters? I feel like I have strong numbers for UW, spent my UG in Washington AND this is my second time applying. I just don't get it. It's frustrating because I would like to keep them at the top of my list...

Also, I'm still mad that they rejected Adjudicator. That was just wrong :(

+1000. Of all the threads i'm following, that was absolutely the shock of this entire cycle so far

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 pm

That was sad about Adjudicator :-( He/She really wanted this school. With that monster LSAT, things ought to work out though. Akili, you have some pretty good options. Are you even considering UW still? It seems like they would have to throw some pretty decent money your way to get you in. Also, I wonder what they mean by auto-admit, too.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:39 pm

WayBryson wrote:That was sad about Adjudicator :-( He/She really wanted this school. With that monster LSAT, things ought to work out though. Akili, you have some pretty good options. Are you even considering UW still? It seems like they would have to throw some pretty decent money your way to get you in. Also, I wonder what they mean by auto-admit, too.

Yeah they are still one of my top choices. I love the PNW, all of my best friends from UG are up there, and Seattle is awesome. I'd have to visit and everything, but if I liked the school like I think I might pick it over Vandy (if no scholarship)/UT. I know that sounds crazy, but I would not mind working in Seattle and UW is definitely the key to that market.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:46 pm

akili wrote:
WayBryson wrote:That was sad about Adjudicator :-( He/She really wanted this school. With that monster LSAT, things ought to work out though. Akili, you have some pretty good options. Are you even considering UW still? It seems like they would have to throw some pretty decent money your way to get you in. Also, I wonder what they mean by auto-admit, too.

Yeah they are still one of my top choices. I love the PNW, all of my best friends from UG are up there, and Seattle is awesome. I'd have to visit and everything, but if I liked the school like I think I might pick it over Vandy (if no scholarship)/UT. I know that sounds crazy, but I would not mind working in Seattle and UW is definitely the key to that market.

That doesn't sound crazy to me. I was born and raised in Oregon, and I finished my undergraduate degree in Washington. I like Seattle as well--though I don't think the PNW is all it is cracked up to be. For my part, I am likely to go with Vandy. I like the idea of having more national and international options. Best of luck to you. I hope they offer you a big beautiful scholarship :-)

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:48 pm

chicityteacher wrote:

Ditto. This is effing ridiculous. I am actually already setting up plans to retake and reapply next year...

Aww. I really hope you don't have to!

No letter today. Maybe tomorrow!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”