U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
geoduck

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:59 pm

JakeL wrote:2/16 mailing

Just got the WL in the mail. Ugh!

Now I'm going to be pissed waiting for my mailman. He takes FOREVER... yesterday he didn't even start till after 5:30 and finished what.. around 6:15. Congrtusorry about the WL! At least it's not a no... time to start with the extended courting.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Jake! <3 WL is not as bad as it could be, my friend. LOCI it up!

fencod

Postby fencod » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:08 pm

I found your LSN profile Jake. Which school are you leaning towards right now? Looks like you have many options.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:23 pm

No idea. I have been following the money(IU, UA, or Emory), but am considering making an exception for CU or UW.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:08 pm

JakeL wrote:No idea. I have been following the money(IU, UA, or Emory), but am considering making an exception for CU or UW.

Yeah man, sorry about the wait list. True though, it is better than a reject.

Since you got wait listed and I am still in review (12/1), I have absolutely no idea what is going to happen to me.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Sorry about the WL, Jake.

I wonder if you'll get another letter a week later, too! I'm DYING to know what this one is. It was sent so fast (day after I got the WL) that if it's a rejection (no! :( ) I wouldn't have had time to write an LOCI, anyway. But I'm kind of holding off on writing one until I get the letter. Pleeeeeeeease hurry, mail!

layercake

Postby layercake » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 pm

good luck JakeL and Kinderby, hopefully that WL turns into an accept soon :)

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:23 pm

FWIW,

I talked to Mathiew Le (director of admissions and fin aid) on the phone this evening because I was curious if I could submit another LOR. He stated explicitly that nothing else could be added to a file once it has gone to waitlist. I asked him if that included a LOCI, and he said it did. He continued to state that there's nothing else you can really do to improve your chances other than return emails that will be sent out asking for continued interest as WL applications go under review...

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:33 pm

JakeL wrote:nothing else could be added to a file once it has gone to waitlist. I asked him if that included a LOCI, and he said it did. He continued to state that there's nothing else you can really do to improve your chances other than return emails that will be sent out asking for continued interest as WL applications go under review...

What?! When I emailed them (like they tell you to in the WL letter) I said I was planning to send an LOCI, and the girl was like, "Okay, just send it to this same address!" But I suppose it's the dean I should trust! Still, :?

At least my email that they MIGHT add to my file was really positive. "Yes, I absolutely want to stay on the waitlist!!" Subtext: Please lovemelovemelovemelovemeloveme.

Thanks for the info, Jake. It's good to know, I guess!

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Yea, it definitely conflicted directly with whatever the 2L staffer told me on the phone earlier in the day as well. She said to write a LOCI and they'd put it in my file. I should have brought that up with Le, but didn't.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Ouch! No LOCI? They're being really weird. And yeah, no letter tonight either :(

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 pm

Wow, no LOCI?? That is funky... I also spoke with Mr. Le today albeit about Fin Aid issues and he seemed to really be the HMFIC so I guess what he says goes...

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow, no LOCI?? That is funky... I also spoke with Mr. Le today albeit about Fin Aid issues and he seemed to really be the HMFIC so I guess what he says goes...

If you speak to Mr. Le again, please ask him what the hell happened with my app.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 pm

Adjudicator wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Wow, no LOCI?? That is funky... I also spoke with Mr. Le today albeit about Fin Aid issues and he seemed to really be the HMFIC so I guess what he says goes...

If you speak to Mr. Le again, please ask him what the hell happened with my app.

I will definitely ask him wtf happened to the guy with a 3.0 / 175 and why he didn't get in!!!!

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:52 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Adjudicator wrote:

I will definitely ask him wtf happened to the guy with a 3.0 / 175 and why he didn't get in!!!!

Seriously. There's not liking splitters, and then there's just craziness. That one definitely feels more like number 2.

kineticx

Postby kineticx » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:06 am

2/17 decision letter, here... ugh.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:02 am

Decision: 2/9
Decision Letter: 2/10

STILL waiting to receive it :roll: Even accounting for the fact that I live abroad, this is a bit ridiculous. I emailed them 2 days ago and haven't heard anything back yet. You would think that a professional school would be a bit more, erm, professional.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:29 am

WayBryson wrote:Decision: 2/9

STILL waiting to receive it :roll: Even accounting for the fact that I live abroad, this is a bit ridiculous. I emailed them 2 days ago and haven't heard anything back yet. You would think that a professional school would be a bit more, erm, professional.

Way- check back through the thread. The decision letters aren't even usually sent until a few days after it pops up on the status checker. It's confusing, I know, but we all must be patient.

I like to think it's UW teaching us to be chill, laid back PNW residents ;)

sunyoo25

Postby sunyoo25 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:57 am

International, Decision 2/1, no mail yet either.
I emailed them on 2/15 and they replied 2/16 with a PDF of my decision letter. (IN :D )
You'll get your reply and PDF soon too, hang in there!!

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 am

sunyoo25 wrote:

International, Decision 2/1, no mail yet either.
I emailed them on 2/15 and they replied 2/16 with a PDF of my decision letter. (IN :D )
You'll get your reply and PDF soon too, hang in there!!

Congrats and thanks for the feedback :-)

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:49 am

geoduck wrote:Ouch! No LOCI? They're being really weird. And yeah, no letter tonight either :(

I guess they figure if you couldn't sell yourself with your initial application, you are not going to be given a second chance? Who knows... I just want to them to hurry up and make a decision so they can send me my acceptance rejection letter so the agonizing wait can be over.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 am

Is today the day?!

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
geoduck wrote:Ouch! No LOCI? They're being really weird. And yeah, no letter tonight either :(

I guess they figure if you couldn't sell yourself with your initial application, you are not going to be given a second chance? Who knows... I just want to them to hurry up and make a decision so they can send me my acceptance rejection letter so the agonizing wait can be over.

Yeah, I mean, I kind of get it. But if that's the case, why even WL us?

I just want the letter! If it's a "thanks for staying on the WL" I might cry. But I almost don't see how it could be anything else.

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:54 am

Kinderby wrote: Yeah, I mean, I kind of get it. But if that's the case, why even WL us?

I just want the letter! If it's a "thanks for staying on the WL" I might cry. But I almost don't see how it could be anything else.

Oh man Kinderby I hope that's not what it is for you :(

BTW UW want to get my letter here by today? Otherwise, I won't be able to check my mail until next Monday night ahhhhhhh (mini vacation to Chi to visit the SO's fam)!!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:13 am

Kinderby wrote:Is today the day?!

ScrabbleChamp wrote:

Yeah, I mean, I kind of get it. But if that's the case, why even WL us?

Exactly... I mean, they obviously have no problem keeping people in review for 3 months... So, rather than WL (if you aren't going to allow LOCI or any supplements), just keep people in review until a final decision has been made. The only reason I don't absolutely hate waitlists is because I know I still have a shot and I can send in an LOCI, additional LOR, or whatever to improve my chances... A UW WL would make me feel helpless. But, I'd take it over a rejection!

apaint

Postby apaint » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:18 am

For those vets who were curious about the tuition discount I contacted the VA about the 50% discount for non-resident veterans who attend UW. Below is the e-mail I received.

"I’m not familiar with the grad program discounts but if you are a veteran who has served in a war or conflict or served in support of those who have then you may be approved for our veteran waiver. As a non-resident you would still be able to use the waiver, but you would only receive 50% of the in-state rate. Any non-resident tuition charges would be your responsibility. I’ve attached 2 forms that you will need to fill out. We will also need a copy of your DD214 (member copy #4). You would basically receive exactly what our resident veterans receive."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”