U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Adjudicator

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Adjudicator » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:17 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:As far as weather goes, as long as it's chilly I don't care either way. I adore temperatures in the 40s and I have "reverse" SAD meaning that when it's sunny, I get bummed out. I love gloomy/dreary and misty weather.=]

+1. I love grey weather. It is a major reason why Washington is my favorite place in the world.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:24 am

So...I too am on a Seattle/UW weekend visit. Tonight, six of us were walking down by Pike's market, on a very commonly traveled road, when out of the blue some huge guy in a big coat whips out a knife, walks right up to me, and yells, "I'm gonna cut your f*cking throat!" We then proceeded to run with great vigor.

WTF SEATTLE

I know I'm not much of a "city" guy, but wow, if that's what I have to look forward to, count me out. Geez.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:27 am

PinkCow wrote:So...I too am on a Seattle/UW weekend visit. Tonight, six of us were walking down by Pike's market, on a very commonly traveled road, when out of the blue some huge guy in a big coat whips out a knife, walks right up to me, and yells, "I'm gonna cut your f*cking throat!" We then proceeded to run with great vigor.

WTF SEATTLE

I know I'm not much of a "city" guy, but wow, if that's what I have to look forward to, count me out. Geez.

Holy cow, that's intense!!!!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:29 am

Huh. That's pretty crazy. But, there are insane people everywhere, especially in any big city, so you can't really pin one insane guy on a nice city like Seattle.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:30 am

To the pear guy: SAD is Seasonal Affective Disorder, where you get sad because it's gloomy. I have reverse SAD, which means I'm happy when it's gloomy.

There you go.

fencod

Postby fencod » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:22 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I LOVE the Fainting Goat. The Sicilian Pistachio flavor was also to die for :D Have you ever been to the Thai restaurant right across the street (well, a couple streets down?) - I believe it was called JhanJay and it was vegetarian. Frakking delicious and pretty reasonable on cost.

I know the one you are talking about, it's sort of kitty corner from the QFC, but I haven't been in there. There are like 4 thai restaurants on the street, and the one I frequent the most if called Sea-Thai. Also, they deliver to my house.

Fainting Goat is pretty new to the neighborhood. They seemed to open in response to the ice cream place a block further down from them called Molly Moon's which has been doing non-stop insane business ever since it opened. I live in the area and have never in Molly Moon's because the line is always out the door, even in winter. But they have a bunch of weird flavors too, including a pistachio one.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:42 am

SMA22 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:So...I too am on a Seattle/UW weekend visit. Tonight, six of us were walking down by Pike's market, on a very commonly traveled road, when out of the blue some huge guy in a big coat whips out a knife, walks right up to me, and yells, "I'm gonna cut your f*cking throat!" We then proceeded to run with great vigor.

WTF SEATTLE

Holy cow, that's intense!!!!

lol I was waiting for someone to mention the crazy people/bums in Seattle especially Capital Hill and Downtown. I live in the area and worked downtown for a few years. Most of the bums are harmless if you keep a safe distance, but in Seattle our bums get pretty ridiculous as if you owe them something. There was a problem with purse snatchers last summer. Some of them will wait for you at the atm and then ask you for money and really get in your face. I do think this incident was random but not completely. Seattle isn't that big, but you do have to keep your gaurd up and if someone gives you a funny feeling keep your distance. I had a friend visit me from Memphis and he freaked out when we were walking downtown and in the middle of the day a man wearing a suit was screaming and shouting to himself. Everyone just walked around him as if it was nothing, I even didn't notice until my friend said something.

After a while you will get to know the random bums. Some have interesting signs. Capital Hill and Bell Town has it's characters, but again this incident is probably the worst you will have to deal with as a law student(if it even happens, this is rare). Good news is there aren't many bums near UW.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:45 am

CD, Rainer, and Pioneer square all get kind of sketch at night, overall seattles really nice and generally safe esp north of downtown where UW is

sunyoo25

Postby sunyoo25 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:02 am

@ Aggiegrad, I loved the Fainting Goat more than Molly Moon's (but just because I prefer gelato to plain icecream. Molly Moon's has pretty amazing flavors. They once had Mojito Sorbet which was oh-so-freakin' good!!!!
And I soooooooooooooo miss the Thai food.......... *drool*

Just FYI, there's a Thai65 on the Ave. DON'T GO THERE. They have an open kitchen and walking by the window, I saw a HUGE BLACK RAT.
Here's what the health inspector had to say:

On 6/7/10 I investigated your complaint received 6/3/10 regarding a rat sighting at Thai 65 on 5/27/10. I observed rodent droppings and entry point for rodents in this facility. I also observed dead cock roaches in the facility. I ordered they provide me a plan for professional pest control by Wednesday 6/9/10.

For your information, I inspected this facility in April and they earned a unsatisfactory inspection, were sent a notice of violations and I did a follow up inspection 14 days later. They corrected all violations on my follow up inspection. Perhaps that follow up inspection is the one you noted in your email as being "cleared" in April.

Thank you for notifying us of your observation.

Eww, gross.
The cleanest Thai food in the Udistrict turned out to be Little Thai (on 42nd). Which was great for me cuz I lived like ten steps from there. :mrgreen: Their phad thai and phad see yew is yummmmm.

The Korean Tofu House right next door had pretty authentic, surprisingly good Korean food too.

sunyoo25

Postby sunyoo25 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:02 am

@ Aggiegrad, I loved the Fainting Goat more than Molly Moon's (but just because I prefer gelato to plain ice cream). Molly Moon's has pretty amazing flavors. They once had Mojito Sorbet which was really good!!!!
And I soooooooooooooo miss Seattle's Thai food.......... *drool*

Just FYI, there's a Thai65 on the Ave. DON'T GO THERE. They have an open kitchen and walking by the window, I saw a HUGE BLACK RAT.
Here's what the health inspector had to say:

On 6/7/10 I investigated your complaint received 6/3/10 regarding a rat sighting at Thai 65 on 5/27/10. I observed rodent droppings and entry point for rodents in this facility. I also observed dead cock roaches in the facility. I ordered they provide me a plan for professional pest control by Wednesday 6/9/10.

For your information, I inspected this facility in April and they earned a unsatisfactory inspection, were sent a notice of violations and I did a follow up inspection 14 days later. They corrected all violations on my follow up inspection. Perhaps that follow up inspection is the one you noted in your email as being "cleared" in April.

Thank you for notifying us of your observation.

Eww, gross.
The cleanest Thai food in the Udistrict turned out to be Little Thai (on 42nd). Which was great for me cuz I lived like ten steps from there. :mrgreen: Their phad thai and phad see yew is yummmmm.

The Korean Tofu House right next door had pretty authentic, surprisingly good Korean food too.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

So there's plenty of Thai food, but what's the best Vietnamese? That's my fave.

sunyoo25

Postby sunyoo25 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 am

Kinderby wrote:So there's plenty of Thai food, but what's the best Vietnamese? That's my fave.

There are a lot of Vietnamese places too.
One place called Pho Than Vi? Thanh Vi? (sorry, I forget) has really good pho. They have all different kinds and everything I've tried were all great. The vegetarian one is top on my list.
I haven't tried anything else on the menu but I've heard the Vietnamese sandwiches there are good too!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:24 pm

WTF SEATTLE

That's when you pull out your concealed handgun and ask him to rephrase.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:42 pm

WTF SEATTLE

Yeah that doesn't happen much. Sorry you found one of the super crazies on the first go. That's part of living in a compact city though.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Is UW even going to accept anyone else at this point? I feel like there is going to be a huge wave of rejections/waitlists coming soon...

dey206

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:29 pm

That's when you pull out your concealed handgun and ask him to rephrase.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:30 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Is UW even going to accept anyone else at this point? I feel like there is going to be a huge wave of rejections/waitlists coming soon...

Shut your mouth. :D

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:33 pm

chicityteacher wrote:Is UW even going to accept anyone else at this point? I feel like there is going to be a huge wave of rejections/waitlists coming soon...

dude you gotta keep that negativity in check, if not for yourself then for the rest of us who are patiently waiting.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:35 pm

dey206 wrote:
ScrabbleChamp wrote:That's when you pull out your concealed handgun and ask him to rephrase.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta love "Shall Issue" states.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:37 pm

rs2004 wrote:

dude you gotta keep that negativity in check, if not for yourself then for the rest of us who are patiently waiting.

I apologize, I suppose you are right. I obviously am hoping that I'm wrong...

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:14 pm

chicityteacher wrote:
rs2004 wrote:

I apologize, I suppose you are right. I obviously am hoping that I'm wrong...

I think we have a skewed perception of just how many people have been offered admission. Although, I haven't checked LSN and now that I've read your post I'm frankly afraid to look...

equalityLaw10

Postby equalityLaw10 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:28 pm

Decision mailed 2/17. And of course today is a holiday :evil:

Good luck everyone!

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Out of curiosity, of those who have been accepted AND applied for the Gates scholarship, what were your numbers? I was talking to a friend who was accepted, with no real softs (straight from UG), and their numbers are both below medians, but they did apply for the Gates scholarship. I am just wondering out loud if there is a boost given to those who apply for the scholarship.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:31 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Out of curiosity, of those who have been accepted AND applied for the Gates scholarship, what were your numbers? I was talking to a friend who was accepted, with no real softs (straight from UG), and their numbers are both below medians, but they did apply for the Gates scholarship. I am just wondering out loud if there is a boost given to those who apply for the scholarship.

I applied for Gates PSL and have been accepted - 162 / 4.10 lsac GPA , military vet (2x combat tour, multiple decorations). My numbers, especially my GPA, seem to put me at a decent shot for UW regardless (although I am OOS which makes it more difficult to say).

I doubt they'd boost us for the Gates PSL. It seems like they're independent processes (similar to the Epstein Program for UCLA).

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:56 pm

ScrabbleChamp wrote:Out of curiosity, of those who have been accepted AND applied for the Gates scholarship, what were your numbers? I was talking to a friend who was accepted, with no real softs (straight from UG), and their numbers are both below medians, but they did apply for the Gates scholarship. I am just wondering out loud if there is a boost given to those who apply for the scholarship.

This friend is fresh out of UG, below both medians, and was already accepted? Is this friend URM by chance? When did he/she go into review?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”