U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
softsgalore

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby softsgalore » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:47 pm

I got WL at U Wash recently, which sucked really bad because it was a school I really wanted to attend...and I had a 170/3.5 and applied pretty early, so I didn't think that would happen. Then UCLA waitlisted me too. My west coast dreams were completely in tatters.

And then I got in at Berkeley, and that definitely lessened the sting.

So U Washington...why did you waitlist me? Whyyyyyy? I love Seattle! I might have even considered it over Berkeley...it's certainly cheaper.

I've been waitlisted by something like 8 schools this year, but not one has confused me or saddened me quite as much as the one from here.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:53 pm

softsgalore wrote:I got WL at U Wash recently, which sucked really bad because it was a school I really wanted to attend...and I had a 170/3.5 and applied pretty early, so I didn't think that would happen. Then UCLA waitlisted me too. My west coast dreams were completely in tatters.

So U Washington...why did you waitlist me? Whyyyyyy? I love Seattle! I might have even considered it over Berkeley...it's certainly cheaper.

I've been waitlisted by something like 8 schools this year, but not one has confused me or saddened me quite as much as the one from here.

could be yield protect

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:08 pm

softsgalore wrote:I got WL at U Wash recently, which sucked really bad because it was a school I really wanted to attend...and I had a 170/3.5 and applied pretty early, so I didn't think that would happen. Then UCLA waitlisted me too. My west coast dreams were completely in tatters.

That's brutal.

fencod

Postby fencod » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:10 pm

Seattle is beautiful today and making me all the more anxious about the impending decision. I can't decide if I should be relieved every day my status still says "In Review" or more anxious. I guess everyday a decision is not rendered is another day they (hopefully actively) chose not to reject me.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:12 pm

They WLed a 170/3.59? Holy flying spaghetti monster, I have not a prayer, do I?

dizzynoise

Postby dizzynoise » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:33 pm

for those of you who have been accepted- has anyone received information about aid/scholarships? i know UW is stingy, but is there any money at all besides the Gates? if so, how soon after you were accepted did you find out?

jrmartin

Postby jrmartin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:52 pm

fencod wrote:Seattle is beautiful today and making me all the more anxious about the impending decision. I can't decide if I should be relieved every day my status still says "In Review" or more anxious. I guess everyday a decision is not rendered is another day they (hopefully actively) chose not to reject me.

This is exactly how I feel and I'm kinda drunk and in Germany, so... I dont hold out much hope.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:59 pm

jrmartin wrote:This is exactly how I feel and I'm kinda drunk and in Germany, so... I dont hold out much hope.

Wo sind Sie in Deutschland?

jrmartin

Postby jrmartin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:08 pm

geoduck wrote:
jrmartin wrote:This is exactly how I feel and I'm kinda drunk and in Germany, so... I dont hold out much hope.

Working. But I don't speak much German, so...great job, but won't last much longer.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:19 pm

jrmartin wrote:
geoduck wrote:

Working. But I don't speak much German, so...great job, but won't last much longer.

Too bad. Definitely one of the best places to get drunk in the world.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 am

Well guys, wait listed at Davis today...sad.

Didn't expect that. I am in at Hastings though...so...if UW doesn't work out, I'll have to decide between Hastings and waiting another year...

fencod

Postby fencod » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:52 am

Hastings hasn't even given me my status checker yet. I did apply a bit late in the game, but at this point I think I'm going to have to call them to make sure everything is okay.

My uncle and little cousin are coming into Seattle next week to check out UW for undergrad, and guess who's giving them a campus tour... I might not have the cheeriest disposition while showing them the corner of campus where WHG Hall is.

clintone88

Postby clintone88 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:55 am

fencod wrote:Hastings hasn't even given me my status checker yet. I did apply a bit late in the game, but at this point I think I'm going to have to call them to make sure everything is okay.

My uncle and little cousin are coming into Seattle next week to check out UW for undergrad, and guess who's giving them a campus tour... I might not have the cheeriest disposition while showing them the corner of campus where WHG Hall is.

I don't believe Hastings gives status checkers. So no need to worry. Although you should get an email saying you went complete at some point in time. So if you never got that then maybe it would be worth a call.

chicityteacher

Postby chicityteacher » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:02 am

clintone88 wrote:
fencod wrote:Hastings hasn't even given me my status checker yet. I did apply a bit late in the game, but at this point I think I'm going to have to call them to make sure everything is okay.

I don't believe Hastings gives status checkers. So no need to worry. Although you should get an email saying you went complete at some point in time. So if you never got that then maybe it would be worth a call.

Right. I never got a status checker, just the email saying I went complete. So, you should be fine. Actually, I wish more schools did NOT use status checkers...they (looking at you, UW) make the process so much more aggravating. In these situations, I think ignorance is bliss.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Pictures uploading :D :D

I almost didn't want to come back!!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:50 pm

--LinkRemoved--

I am a pretty big newb at ImageShack album hosting and I don't have an account proper, so hopefully this works.

First thoughts on Seattle:

* The People. They're pretty damn awesome all around. From the folks at SeaTac airport to the employees at Enterprise to the amazing old Italian couple who run the most amazing Gelatto shop ever, The Fainting Goat, everyone was just... pleasant! A whole lot different than anything I've experienced here in California, that is for sure. Yeah, there are the usual suspects of annoying, loud and crass people but all in all, the people were just nice! Very courteous, and while I don't particularly believe in chivalry and needing my door held open for me, several men held doors open for me (and my husband who is under strict instructions not to do so, ever!) which rarely occurs even in Davis (which is a pretty friendly community overall).

* The food. O. M. G. So good. I regret not being able to try more restaurants, really. We tried to eat at a restaurant from each neighborhood. We got to Capitol Hill, Wallingford, Eastlake, and of course, U Dist. The Thai food was amazing, and we ate at a small Mexican sit-down place called Azteca, near the University Village. Highly recommend it. And also, did I mention, vegetarian Thai food????? So freaking good. And The Fainting Goat's Tiramisu gelatto was just TDF!

* The stuff to do. Awesome! We did some touristy stuff, like took a trip to the Space Needle and the Science Fiction Museum / Music Project. Sadly, only BSG exhibit was functioning (I really wanted to see Cpt Kirk's chair!!!) but it was still a very good exhibit! The EMP was "meh", but I am not a big music lover, so that follows. We took a trip by the Seattle Public Library, which looks like an awesome geometric glass-thing that looks unlike any lib. I've ever seen before (And I am a huge book lover, I've seen many a museum!!) And, speaking of books... There must be 40 million used book stores in Seattle. I LOVE it. Some of them are even open 'til late, 11 pm, midnight! So good.

* The weather. You know, for being a "winter weekend", it did not snow or rain. Not even a little drop of rain did we feel! It was sunny but chilly every day we were there, and we had to deal with ice on the car which is something unusual to us, but totally awesome regardless. Perfect weather really...

* The law school / campus. Gates Hall is gorgeous. Nothing short of just gorgeous. It looks modern, feels modern, and it's plain cool! The entirety of the campus was awe inspiring for me. I love the trees, the green lawns which I'm sure are even MORE immaculate in the spring and summer, the people playing frisbee and having a good time, the old Gothic structures, etc.

The only real downside for me was all the damn construction. I know it's going to be good later, but right now, it's a nightmare esp. while trying to look at housing in the U-D. Regardless, that's a tiny gripe for what was overall an incredible experience. Oh, yeah, my husband would like to lodge a formal complaint that 60 mph speed limits = wtf??? Although the variable speed limit digital signage was pretty sweet...

now to all the UW students / Seattle residents out there: What do you all think, or have you heard of, Ivy Ridge (in the U-D) or Illumina (In Eastlake)?

I am sorry for the pictures. I left my real camera at home, and had to use a crappy iPhone camera to get pics! And I'm an awful photographer. =/ But, I don't think any camera could truly capture this campus in its splendor. It truly is gorgeous!!!

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Those pictures are amazing.

The grass looks... really really green, maybe it's just me.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:03 pm

gens1tb wrote:Those pictures are amazing.

The grass looks... really really green, maybe it's just me.

It IS really green. And it's February... can you imagine how much prettier it is in the spring? LOL.

Almost all the buildings have a lot of ivy growing on them, too. I don't really have enough adjectives to describe the campus tbh. I am kinda surprised it hasn't been well represented on the "best looking law schools/campuses" thread.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:16 pm

Well Illumina has great reviews on ApartmentRatings.com and Eastlake is a great place to live. The speed limits are pretty bad, but the drivers are worse :wink:

And Spring is even better. The quad is full of cherry blossoms.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:18 pm

geoduck wrote:Well Illumina has great reviews on ApartmentRatings.com and Eastlake is a great place to live. The speed limits are pretty bad, but the drivers are worse :wink:

Yeah, I saw the reviews but meh, I don't trust that stuff. I guess I should but I don't.

The only thing that concerns me about Illumina, I suppose, is that there is a humongous hill to traverse when biking to campus. But, I guess that means I'd just be in better shape :D

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
geoduck wrote:Well Illumina has great reviews on ApartmentRatings.com and Eastlake is a great place to live. The speed limits are pretty bad, but the drivers are worse :wink:

Yeah, I saw the reviews but meh, I don't trust that stuff. I guess I should but I don't.

The only thing that concerns me about Illumina, I suppose, is that there is a humongous hill to traverse when biking to campus. But, I guess that means I'd just be in better shape :D

You should see the places with bad reviews... People get vicious around here! Above 50% is usually a good score. Luckily, you're right on the bus lane, so if you feel lazy you can bus up and ride back down :D

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:31 pm

geoduck wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:

You should see the places with bad reviews... People get vicious around here! Above 50% is usually a good score. Luckily, you're right on the bus lane, so if you feel lazy you can bus up and ride back down :D

LOL true. I really like Illumina - The parking garage looks nice and the overall structure looks very new. Couldn't see the inside though so I'll need to take another trip up before moving this summer.

fencod

Postby fencod » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Fainting Goat Gelato! You were right in my neck of the woods. I work at the old movie theater (as one of my many jobs) thats 1 block up from the Goat.

You lucked out with the weather. I'm not trying to discourage you, Seattle is awesome, but this past weekend was notable beautiful for this time of year. Actually, this winter in general has been unusually dry and pleasant. Don't be surprised to see more gray skies next year though. Even so, our weather is always pretty mild.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:20 pm

fencod wrote:Fainting Goat Gelato! You were right in my neck of the woods. I work at the old movie theater (as one of my many jobs) thats 1 block up from the Goat.

You lucked out with the weather. I'm not trying to discourage you, Seattle is awesome, but this past weekend was notable beautiful for this time of year. Actually, this winter in general has been unusually dry and pleasant. Don't be surprised to see more gray skies next year though. Even so, our weather is always pretty mild.

I LOVE the Fainting Goat. The Sicilian Pistachio flavor was also to die for :D Have you ever been to the Thai restaurant right across the street (well, a couple streets down?) - I believe it was called JhanJay and it was vegetarian. Frakking delicious and pretty reasonable on cost.

Wallingford is pretty quaint but I prefer Eastlake I think :D

As far as weather goes, as long as it's chilly I don't care either way. I adore temperatures in the 40s and I have "reverse" SAD meaning that when it's sunny, I get bummed out. I love gloomy/dreary and misty weather.=]

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:15 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I have "reverse" SAD meaning that when it's sunny, I get bummed out. I love gloomy/dreary and misty weather.=]

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”