U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fencod

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby fencod » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:26 am

I guess I wasn't really thinking of the state v private thing. I got accepted to Loyola with a big scholarship, but they are private so I suppose that is a different game.

fencod

Postby fencod » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:27 am

geoduck wrote:Pero soy un Chicano 8)

Oh yeah, you're getting good news.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:28 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Isn't that the case w/ most state schools, even the flagship schools? I mean, Hastings, Davis, LA and Berkeley are similarly really stingy (For CA).

Only for Washington and California from what I can tell... For some reason, state schools everywhere else have the money to make it rain.... Look at IU-B for instance, pretty much everyone is getting 120K.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:29 am

JakeL wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Isn't that the case w/ most state schools, even the flagship schools? I mean, Hastings, Davis, LA and Berkeley are similarly really stingy (For CA).

Only for Washington and California from what I can tell... For some reason, state schools everywhere else have the money to make it rain.... Look at IU-B for instance, pretty much everyone is getting 120K.

Maybe to get people to come to Indiana? I have to imagine it's got far fewer selling points than Seattle.

I mean... it's frakking Indiana.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 am

I guess you could put it on that- was just one example, but if you look at LSN, most of the flagship state schools are much more generous than UW. Gates needs to step it up and donate some more to the school just for scholarships ;)

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:33 am

It's definitely true that you don't fully appreciate a place until you see it through outsiders eyes. You out of staters have seriously raised the chances that I'll be staying. Pretty much the only way I won't is if GULC let's me in with a near full scholarship... And that ain't happening. Go Dawgs!

fencod

Postby fencod » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 am

JakeL wrote:I guess you could put it on that- was just one example, but if you look at LSN, most of the flagship state schools are much more generous than UW. Gates needs to step it up and donate some more to the school just for scholarships ;)

William H. Gates came to my work a few weeks back, and I was really wanted to ask him about the Law School and if he could just let me in. "Maybe I won't charge you if you just admit me without question and give me a big scholarship..." Unfortunately, the oppurtunity did not present itself.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:46 am

fencod wrote:
JakeL wrote:I guess you could put it on that- was just one example, but if you look at LSN, most of the flagship state schools are much more generous than UW. Gates needs to step it up and donate some more to the school just for scholarships ;)

William H. Gates came to my work a few weeks back, and I was really wanted to ask him about the Law School and if he could just let me in. "Maybe I won't charge you if you just admit me without question and give me a big scholarship..." Unfortunately, the oppurtunity did not present itself.

Currently drafting letter asking him to stop wasting his money on hopeless legislation and start spending more of it on scholars of his alma matter

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:03 am

The law building + library was very generous. Too bad UW didn't put it in the student spending part of USNW&R or they coulda jumped 8 ranks like UC Davis did with their renovations :O

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:30 am

I emailed UW Admissions about a week ago asking about merit-based scholarships and a travel stipend to visit the school. No response yet. Anyone else had any luck?

Like you guys are saying, I'm incredibly bummed that UW happens to be like the only highly ranked school that doesn't give out pretty much any merit-based scholarships. I would LOVE to go to UW, but it would be hard to turn down Penn, GULC, Vandy, Texas for UW at sticker. Damn.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 am

I'm oddly, like, giddy this morning. I choose to believe that it's because a good decision letter is on its way. Because of my AWESOME SOFTS! :D

IF it was actually sent the day it says, it's possible (?) that it's just a "thanks for agreeing to stay on our waitlist!" letter. But that would be the same day I emailed them to stay on the waitlist, which seems a leetle too fast. But then, how could it be a decision (yea/nay) a mere six days after a waitlisting?! Unless they re-reviewed my file and were like, "Oh whoops, we meant to flat-out reject her the first time around." Haha. Don't get me wrong, I want this bad, but I think I could be happy in Portland, too.

apaint

Postby apaint » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:25 am

Called the VA office today and the lady told me veterans can get 50% off of OOS tuition for 1L by filing paperwork stating you intend to establish domicile in the state of Washington...I will probably call again and talk to someone else to confirm but pretty awesome if true.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:46 am

apaint wrote:Called the VA office today and the lady told me veterans can get 50% off of OOS tuition for 1L by filing paperwork stating you intend to establish domicile in the state of Washington...I will probably call again and talk to someone else to confirm but pretty awesome if true.

When you call, please post in here. Someone else stated that Veterans only pay 50% of the in-state rate ($12,000). Basically, ask them exactly what the financial responsibility for veterans is... is it $12k or $19k? Though, now I think about it, it really doesn't matter as the new Post 9/11 pays the full rate for in-state tuition ($24k), which is greater than either 50% of in-state or OOS.

apaint

Postby apaint » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:58 am

Spoke with the VA office and Residency office on campus and this is what I was told.

1L -- they "get around" the OOS issue with the domicile paperwork and so you can get 50% off of OOS tuition
2L/3L -- 50% off of in-state tuition

I have e-mailed them because I would really like to get this all in writing. I also want to make sure the 50% off of in-state applies to the OOS tuition waiver because it does state 50% off of tuition for Washington residents.

I only have a year left of post 9/11 and I was at 60% before with the changes that might go up a bit but I doubt I will get to 100%.

PLUS you get to pocket any extra post 9/11 money, well that is how it use to be, not sure if the recent changes impact that.

ScrabbleChamp wrote:
apaint wrote:Called the VA office today and the lady told me veterans can get 50% off of OOS tuition for 1L by filing paperwork stating you intend to establish domicile in the state of Washington...I will probably call again and talk to someone else to confirm but pretty awesome if true.

When you call, please post in here. Someone else stated that Veterans only pay 50% of the in-state rate ($12,000). Basically, ask them exactly what the financial responsibility for veterans is... is it $12k or $19k? Though, now I think about it, it really doesn't matter as the new Post 9/11 pays the full rate for in-state tuition ($24k), which is greater than either 50% of in-state or OOS.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:24 pm

Spoke with the VA office and Residency office on campus and this is what I was told.

1L -- they "get around" the OOS issue with the domicile paperwork and so you can get 50% off of OOS tuition
2L/3L -- 50% off of in-state tuition

I have e-mailed them because I would really like to get this all in writing. I also want to make sure the 50% off of in-state applies to the OOS tuition waiver because it does state 50% off of tuition for Washington residents.

I only have a year left of post 9/11 and I was at 60% before with the changes that might go up a bit but I doubt I will get to 100%.

PLUS you get to pocket any extra post 9/11 money, well that is how it use to be, not sure if the recent changes impact that.

Ahh... I'm at 100%, so it's not an issue for me if it is OOS or in-state. However, you should not be pocketing extra Post 9/11 money as it is supposed to be paid directly to the school and the VA will not overpay the school. The VA only pays what they are billed, so unless the school is over-billing and then being generous and giving you the excess, all of which would be quite illegal, I'm not sure how you were pocketing any money from the Post 9/11 bill.

apaint

Postby apaint » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:29 pm

It depends on the source of the money. Money from the federal government prior to the post 9/11 bill you couldn't pocket. I had a full ride for graduate school so I was able to pocket my tuition money once the post 9/11 bill went into effect. I spoke with about a billion people because prior to the post 9/11 bill this was not allowed and I was told by all of them that since the money is coming from the VA you can pocket the extra. If this is illegal then the entire VA department in Atlanta is crazy.

Hopefully I am not arrested soon ;)

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Let today be the day I get my accept/reject letter! 2/16 mailing and .5 mile from campus...

Dire Straits

Postby Dire Straits » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 pm

JakeL wrote:Let today be the day I get my accept/reject letter! 2/16 mailing and .5 mile from campus...

Good Luck!

sabenser

Postby sabenser » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:28 pm

Kinderby wrote:I'm oddly, like, giddy this morning. I choose to believe that it's because a good decision letter is on its way. Because of my AWESOME SOFTS! :D

Haha, now that's the spirit.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:14 pm

JakeL wrote:Let today be the day I get my accept/reject letter! 2/16 mailing and .5 mile from campus...

I'm 2/15 mailing and 2ish miles from campus. Haven't gotten it yet :(

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:17 pm

geoduck wrote:

Damn. Maybe 1.5 miles takes an extra day? Doubt it...

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:19 pm

JakeL wrote:
geoduck wrote:

Lol it really depends on how the mailman handles it I think. I once sent a letter less than a mile away and it took like 3 days because it first went to the "bigger" town about 90 miles away and then to a slightly smaller town about 60 miles away, and then finally to its destination. Never trust the mailman.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm

JakeL wrote:
geoduck wrote:

Ya know.. Given the bureaucracy of UW and the efficacy of the Seattle postal workers...

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:30 pm

geoduck wrote:Ya know.. Given the bureaucracy of UW and the efficacy of the Seattle postal workers...

True that.

ScrabbleChamp

Postby ScrabbleChamp » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:56 pm

apaint wrote:It depends on the source of the money. Money from the federal government prior to the post 9/11 bill you couldn't pocket. I had a full ride for graduate school so I was able to pocket my tuition money once the post 9/11 bill went into effect. I spoke with about a billion people because prior to the post 9/11 bill this was not allowed and I was told by all of them that since the money is coming from the VA you can pocket the extra. If this is illegal then the entire VA department in Atlanta is crazy.

Hopefully I am not arrested soon ;)

See PM.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”