U Washington 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:21 pm

Akili, if you were offered UVA and UW at sticker where would you go?



I know this was addressed to Akili, but I am in @ UVA and I am attending UW.

T14 at sticker = no thanks.

certpetitioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby certpetitioner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:22 pm

akili wrote:
certpetitioner wrote:
certpetitioner wrote:
akili wrote:To be fair, it seems pretty easy to get the in-state waiver your second and third years. (IIRC)


I did not know that. So that would push the costs to around an extra $64,000 over three years. Is UW worth the saved money compared to the opportunities offered by a T-14?


Akili, if you were offered UVA and UW at sticker where would you go?


I honestly don't know. The connections I have up in the Northwest are really tempting. Alumni from my university tend to stay in the Northwest and I know a few lawyers and judges from that. However, if I have Vandy with $$, that's an easy choice for Vandy. Michigan vs. UW would be even harder. I think it would come down to visiting each campus.


You would choose Vandy over UVA?

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 pm

certpetitioner wrote:
You would choose Vandy over UVA?


Vandy with $$ absolutely. I'm not interested in BigLaw.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 pm

The "with $$" is the important part.

certpetitioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby certpetitioner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:26 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Akili, if you were offered UVA and UW at sticker where would you go?



I know this was addressed to Akili, but I am in @ UVA and I am attending UW.

T14 at sticker = no thanks.


Yes, I agree that T14 at sticker is downright frightening. But I talk with a lot of lawyers and judges at the height of the game and it seems like they all graduated from T14 or T20 schools. I wouldn't want the debt but a lot of doors are open if you graduate from one of those schools.

But don't get me wrong, I am still very high on UW.

certpetitioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby certpetitioner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:27 pm

akili wrote:
certpetitioner wrote:
You would choose Vandy over UVA?


Vandy with $$ absolutely. I'm not interested in BigLaw.


What type of law are you interested in, then?

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:30 pm

certpetitioner wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Akili, if you were offered UVA and UW at sticker where would you go?



I know this was addressed to Akili, but I am in @ UVA and I am attending UW.

T14 at sticker = no thanks.


Yes, I agree that T14 at sticker is downright frightening. But I talk with a lot of lawyers and judges at the height of the game and it seems like they all graduated from T14 or T20 schools. I wouldn't want the debt but a lot of doors are open if you graduate from one of those schools.

But don't get me wrong, I am still very high on UW.


The problem I'm seeing is that if you DON'T graduate above median even at a T-14 you might be saddled with all that debt and in a bad way. I'll graduate from UW within about 65 grand total debt and that is so much more manageable than anything I've been offered by other schools I've been accepted to. NU at sticker = OMFG. CoA there average is like $69,000/yr.

User avatar
akili
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby akili » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:30 pm

certpetitioner wrote:
akili wrote:
certpetitioner wrote:
You would choose Vandy over UVA?


Vandy with $$ absolutely. I'm not interested in BigLaw.


What type of law are you interested in, then?


Criminal, juvenile, family mostly. I'm really lucky with finances and won't really be going in to debt either way...but I want to be smart about how I use my money. I also have no idea where I want to work.

certpetitioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby certpetitioner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:41 pm

The problem I'm seeing is that if you DON'T graduate above median even at a T-14 you might be saddled with all that debt and in a bad way. I'll graduate from UW within about 65 grand total debt and that is so much more manageable than anything I've been offered by other schools I've been accepted to. NU at sticker = OMFG. CoA there average is like $69,000/yr.[/quote]

Those are legitimate concerns.

certpetitioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby certpetitioner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:43 pm

akili wrote:
certpetitioner wrote:
akili wrote:
certpetitioner wrote:
You would choose Vandy over UVA?


Vandy with $$ absolutely. I'm not interested in BigLaw.


What type of law are you interested in, then?


Criminal, juvenile, family mostly. I'm really lucky with finances and won't really be going in to debt either way...but I want to be smart about how I use my money. I also have no idea where I want to work.


You like criminal work? That is definitely one of the best fields. I have been writing appeals, mostly criminal, for about 10 years now. I absolutely love it.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby bdubs » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:23 am

certpetitioner wrote:You like criminal work? That is definitely one of the best fields. I have been writing appeals, mostly criminal, for about 10 years now. I absolutely love it.


What kind of job do you have where you do serious legal writing without a JD? I have never heard of anyone doing that as a career without actually being an attorney.

User avatar
layercake
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:15 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby layercake » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:24 am

i am starting to hate sundays because there is no mail

no mail = no decision

come to think about it, i never liked sundays :D

fencod
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:19 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby fencod » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:41 am

layercake wrote:i am starting to hate sundays because there is no mail

no mail = no decision

come to think about it, i never liked sundays :D


It's not Sunday! You scared me for a second.

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Kinderby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:43 am

fencod wrote:
layercake wrote:i am starting to hate sundays because there is no mail

no mail = no decision

come to think about it, i never liked sundays :D


It's not Sunday! You scared me for a second.

I know! :) We have two more nice days before the dreaded mini-drought.

chicityteacher
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby chicityteacher » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:50 am

Well, if anyone was wondering, I called UW today. They just confirmed the hard truth: STILL in review 12/1. What torturous limbo this is!

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Kinderby » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 am

chicityteacher wrote:Well, if anyone was wondering, I called UW today. They just confirmed the hard truth: STILL in review 12/1. What torturous limbo this is!

Phooey. Sorry you didn't get any more information.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:57 am

I am flying to UW tomorrow to look at apts and everything, so I hope you all want a LOT of pictures, because they're coming :DDD

fencod
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:19 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby fencod » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:00 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am flying to UW tomorrow to look at apts and everything, so I hope you all want a LOT of pictures, because they're coming :DDD


Bring some warm clothing, it's been frigid for the past few days.

jepoy
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:41 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby jepoy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:08 am

fencod wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am flying to UW tomorrow to look at apts and everything, so I hope you all want a LOT of pictures, because they're coming :DDD


Bring some warm clothing, it's been frigid for the past few days.


And maybe some sunglasses. I thought I saw a double rainbow today.

certpetitioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby certpetitioner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:22 am

bdubs wrote:
certpetitioner wrote:You like criminal work? That is definitely one of the best fields. I have been writing appeals, mostly criminal, for about 10 years now. I absolutely love it.


What kind of job do you have where you do serious legal writing without a JD? I have never heard of anyone doing that as a career without actually being an attorney.


I am an independent contractor for attorneys. I write briefs that are filed in Courts everywhere, but also a lot that are filed in SCOTUS.

I would tell you the rest of the story, but you wouldn't believe it.

certpetitioner
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby certpetitioner » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:23 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am flying to UW tomorrow to look at apts and everything, so I hope you all want a LOT of pictures, because they're coming :DDD


Yes, please send lots of pictures. I have never traveled to Seattle.

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:35 am

I'm hoping to get into the Space Needle to take pics too :D

fencod
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:19 am

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby fencod » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 am


Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:45 am

Nothing is too expensive for a business trip (write off).

>.> <.<

User avatar
geoduck
Posts: 890
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Postby geoduck » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:50 am

fencod wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:I am flying to UW tomorrow to look at apts and everything, so I hope you all want a LOT of pictures, because they're coming :DDD


Bring some warm clothing, it's been frigid for the past few days.


Yeah we're supposed to get 'snow' in the next few days. Like, in-between rain showers. Meteorologists are extra special since all the hills make microclimates. But just leave the umbrella at home. They're for tourists :wink:




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Nayanthika, xnsch and 13 guests