U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kalede

Bronze

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by kalede » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:47 pm

purplebus wrote:Called the admissions office to see if there were any updates and I was told that now that the deposits/statements of intention are in, there are currently more admits intending on enrolling than the maximum class size, which they are still trying to sort out. They didn't expect any movement on the waitlist because of this dilema, but still left open the possibility of it happening 1-2 weeks before classes start at the end of September. Oh well, I had some hope, but should have expected this result.
Sigh. I will be reapplying next year, it seems.

homegrown

New

Post by homegrown » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:13 pm

I would discount quite a bit of what Mathiew Le says. I have read on here one thing and heard him say something else within hours. Although I suppose a poster might have misunderstood or is purposely misleading others.

purplebus

New

Post by purplebus » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:52 pm

homegrown wrote:I would discount quite a bit of what Mathiew Le says. I have read on here one thing and heard him say something else within hours. Although I suppose a poster might have misunderstood or is purposely misleading others.
Yeah not sure if it was Mr. Le who said that, but I did speak with a man. Feel free to call in a verify what I said, but that is what I was told. I do agree that we have gotten different messages/interpretations, based on what people posted, and I really hope someone isn't intentionally misleading people (e.g. telling us that we shouldn't send in LOCIs).

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:10 pm

purplebus wrote:Called the admissions office to see if there were any updates and I was told that now that the deposits/statements of intention are in, there are currently more admits intending on enrolling than the maximum class size, which they are still trying to sort out. They didn't expect any movement on the waitlist because of this dilema, but still left open the possibility of it happening 1-2 weeks before classes start at the end of September. Oh well, I had some hope, but should have expected this result.

Hold the phone. UW starts at the end of September??? I'm at the wrong school.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I was a poster who contacted the admissions department and spoke to Mr. Le directly WAY earlier in the cycle when I was initially waitlisted. I posted this earlier, but he specifically told me that there was nothing I could do to help once I'd been WL'd in that my file was complete and they couldn't add anything to it before it was reviewed again by the WL committee. Definitely not making this stuff up and I was pretty disturbed when I heard conflicting info from other posters who had gotten different info. It does appear that LOCI's could've helped and I'm pretty bitter with UW for not getting their stories straight. As we all know by now, nothing UW does can be expected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:32 pm

they're doing away with the professional/graduate tuition waiver :/

mat2013

New

Post by mat2013 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:01 pm

I got an email last week from UW stating that they would begin evaluating waitlist candidates "this week." The email requested I inform them if I would still like to be considered.

Has anyone heard from UW since? Did everyone get this email?

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:59 pm

JakeL wrote:I was a poster who contacted the admissions department and spoke to Mr. Le directly WAY earlier in the cycle when I was initially waitlisted. I posted this earlier, but he specifically told me that there was nothing I could do to help once I'd been WL'd in that my file was complete and they couldn't add anything to it before it was reviewed again by the WL committee. Definitely not making this stuff up and I was pretty disturbed when I heard conflicting info from other posters who had gotten different info. It does appear that LOCI's could've helped and I'm pretty bitter with UW for not getting their stories straight. As we all know by now, nothing UW does can be expected.
I'm surprised that he said that. I was accepted off the waitlist the week after I mailed out my LOCI. It could have been a coincidence, but I think it made the difference.

UWhopeful

New

Post by UWhopeful » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:05 pm

I got the email last week too and the same silence since.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

barrydukakis

Bronze

Post by barrydukakis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:07 pm

Edit. corrected on the tuition waiver, you're class is the last one to get it.
Last edited by barrydukakis on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

purplebus

New

Post by purplebus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:26 pm

UWhopeful wrote:I got the email last week too and the same silence since.
Me too, I wonder how many applicants are still on the waitlist. Hopefully there is some movement this week.

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:03 pm

Got in off the waitlist today. I have 24 hours to decide if I want to stay at the school I'm 1 week into already, or do a quick move to Seattle. Decisions, decisions...

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:56 pm

Also, just to clear up confusion, Mr. Le told me that this incoming class WILL receive the 2nd and 3rd year in state subsidy. It will be the incoming class of 2012 that will not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UWhopeful

New

Post by UWhopeful » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:20 am

clintone88 wrote:Got in off the waitlist today. I have 24 hours to decide if I want to stay at the school I'm 1 week into already, or do a quick move to Seattle. Decisions, decisions...
Congrats, but that would suck to have to start over. Do you get a full refund?
Let us know what you decide...

mat2013

New

Post by mat2013 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:39 pm

Won't L&C ding you a portion of your tuition?

Congratulations.

purplebus

New

Post by purplebus » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:40 pm

clintone88 wrote:Got in off the waitlist today. I have 24 hours to decide if I want to stay at the school I'm 1 week into already, or do a quick move to Seattle. Decisions, decisions...
Congrats! I was thinking the same thing though. At this point, I've already started at another school which I really like, and paid tuition, so I wish UW would have given final decisions like a month ago. I guess thats why they only give you 24 hours to decide.

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:50 pm

I was awarded a generous scholarship today as well, so I've decided that I will definitely be attending UW next week. I do like L&C, and I'm happy here, but UW was always the school I wanted, and the job opportunities will obviously be significantly better too. I am going to get dinged a small portion of my tuition, 5-10% probably. But the scholarship at UW makes tuition cost roughly the same as I was paying at L&C, and I'm willing to sink a few thousand into moving to UW (penalty for breaking my lease early, moving costs, tuition costs). I guess I'll see some of you at orientation!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barrydukakis

Bronze

Post by barrydukakis » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:20 pm

From the perspective of someone going through the seemingly brutal OCI process at UW Law, this is a very good decision Clintone.

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:02 am

oh well, there's always next year. Anyone else reapplying?

purplebus

New

Post by purplebus » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:59 pm

Yeah, it's too bad the waitlist finally closed.

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:15 pm

I talked to Mathiew Le today on the phone, and he was really great about answering my questions about reapplying. :) He brought up my file and the notes that were taken on it by the adcomm and gave me some specific advice about how to tweak my personal statement/resume to have a better shot at admission.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:18 pm

clintone88 wrote:I was awarded a generous scholarship today as well, so I've decided that I will definitely be attending UW next week. I do like L&C, and I'm happy here, but UW was always the school I wanted, and the job opportunities will obviously be significantly better too. I am going to get dinged a small portion of my tuition, 5-10% probably. But the scholarship at UW makes tuition cost roughly the same as I was paying at L&C, and I'm willing to sink a few thousand into moving to UW (penalty for breaking my lease early, moving costs, tuition costs). I guess I'll see some of you at orientation!
Good call - and good luck to everyone at orientation today! Look forward to meeting fellow TLS-ers there.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:12 am

was there a tls meet up I missed out on at orientation this week?

Adjudicator

Silver

Post by Adjudicator » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:43 am

Ah, this thread. It feels like years ago that UW flat out denied my application, but it was really only last Spring sometime. Congrats to all who did get in. Sometimes I still wonder what they didn't like so much about my app.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”