U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
softsgalore

New

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by softsgalore » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:27 pm

That's what it looks like in winter?

*looks out window at six feet of accumulated snow*

God, I hope they admit me.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:32 pm

That weather looks beautiful!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:40 pm

upfish wrote:That weather looks beautiful!
It is. But hope they never get snow. A couple years ago they got like 6 inches and the whole city pretty much shut down.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:41 pm

Please do, Geoduck!

I'm so excited about UW that we're driving up there next weekend for the holiday weekend to check it out. I will be armed with my D-SLR and will make sure to snap tons of pictures.

I agree about how gorgeous the overcast is. I have reverse SAD :D

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:44 pm

PinkCow wrote:
It is. But hope they never get snow. A couple years ago they got like 6 inches and the whole city pretty much shut down.
They got snow this year too, and the same thing happened. I have a friend up there that was like WTFFFF because she's from Wisconsin haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:46 pm

PinkCow wrote:
See, I'm from Texas, so this is SOP for snow for me. :D

Re the LSN stats-so-far: If a 174 can't save a sub-3.0 GPA, I don't think my 165 is going to cut it, either. Haha.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:47 pm

softsgalore wrote:That's what it looks like in winter?

*looks out window at six feet of accumulated snow*

God, I hope they admit me.
It looks like that pic of the Space Needle. December's the worst... we get down to about 4.5 hours of "day", most of which is that. If it does snow, it's usually about an inch. Fortunately, we are so unprepared for snow and ice that an inch is more than enough to pretty much shut the city down. Every once in a few years we'll get a freak storm and have around a foot of snow. It's really beautiful if you don't need to drive. Otherwise, you aren't getting anywhere.

ocbrody

New

Post by ocbrody » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 pm

For those of you who are lucky enough to be going to UW law school, here's some of the scenery that awaits you in the winter. (when/if it ever snows) The campus and the city is amazing.

These pictures are from the week before last Thanksgiving, and the city pretty much did shut down. Seattle drivers are not great to begin with, and then add some snow and it's a real mess. It usually takes me 20 minutes by bus to get home but on the day I took these pictures it took over 4 hours.

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Please do, Geoduck!

I'm so excited about UW that we're driving up there next weekend for the holiday weekend to check it out. I will be armed with my D-SLR and will make sure to snap tons of pictures.

I agree about how gorgeous the overcast is. I have reverse SAD :D
lol I'm a Californian who spent most of his life in Washington, so the overcast still gets to me after a while. I can appreciate the beauty... but after around day 20 I'm wondering if I'll ever see the sun again! Though it is MUCH more bearable if you remember to take your Vitamin D supplements.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:55 pm

see, to me, that's *perfect* snow. I am from Nebraska (although I have now been a Californian for a few years) and the snow in NE just unbearable. If it was like in those pics above, I'd just stay in the library and get more stuff done. :D

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Lol you people who are celebrating the gloomy weather obviously haven't lived here yet. Nobody lives in Seattle because of the winter weather. It's all about holding out for those days when it's nice, and the summer. That's when you get rewarded and it's all worth it.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:05 pm

JakeL wrote:Lol you people who are celebrating the gloomy weather obviously haven't lived here yet. Nobody lives in Seattle because of the winter weather. It's all about holding out for those days when it's nice, and the summer. That's when you get rewarded and it's all worth it.
I love gloomy weather. I lived in London for 3 months and simply adored the 3+ weeks straight of fog, overcast and drizzle/rain. The more the better. IMO, the sun is overrated.

ocbrody

New

Post by ocbrody » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JakeL wrote:Lol you people who are celebrating the gloomy weather obviously haven't lived here yet. Nobody lives in Seattle because of the winter weather. It's all about holding out for those days when it's nice, and the summer. That's when you get rewarded and it's all worth it.
I love gloomy weather. I lived in London for 3 months and simply adored the 3+ weeks straight of fog, overcast and drizzle/rain. The more the better. IMO, the sun is overrated.
Well today's (and the past week pretty much) Seattle weather is not for you then!

--ImageRemoved--

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:10 pm

I can overlook a little sun for such an amazingly gorgeous (and awesome) school. :D

I'll just be living for the winters whereas most ppl live for the summers (apparently).

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:11 pm

ocbrody wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Well today's (and the past week pretty much) Seattle weather is not for you then!

--ImageRemoved--
Man you have a better view from upper queen anne. I'm stuck in Seattle Center. It's still beautiful, but not like that.

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:39 pm

I'll take a Seattle winter over the typical winter in eastern Washington any day. The same goes for summers. :lol:

xtine

Bronze

Post by xtine » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:58 pm

akili wrote:
chicityteacher wrote:Anyone else still "In Review" 12/1?
Yup. Right here :(
Me too!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fencod

New

Post by fencod » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Wallingford right now:

(45 degrees btw). This is the middle of winter. There are lots of gray days in Seattle, but we do have breaks from it. I'd say this winter, while cold, has been pretty nice since we have had so many blue sky days.

The hardest thing is in Spring, when you are stuck in class, and the days are getting super sunny and everything is in bloom. It is impossible to pay attention to what's going on inside.

clintone88

Bronze

Post by clintone88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm

I would give anything to get into UW where gray, rainy, 45 degree winters are as bad as it gets. In winter, the parts of my body that are mildly exposed are literally in pain as I walk around in -15 degree Milwaukee, where 6 foot snow drifts aren't quite enough to shut down school. I'll take copious amounts of liquid water over copious amounts of frozen water any day. And even without what I consider far superior weather, I would still give anything to get into UW, so here's hoping.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:23 pm

IR 1/21----> IR 2/09

hmmmmm

fencod

New

Post by fencod » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:40 pm

clintone88 wrote:I would give anything to get into UW where gray, rainy, 45 degree winters are as bad as it gets. In winter, the parts of my body that are mildly exposed are literally in pain as I walk around in -15 degree Milwaukee, where 6 foot snow drifts aren't quite enough to shut down school. I'll take copious amounts of liquid water over copious amounts of frozen water any day. And even without what I consider far superior weather, I would still give anything to get into UW, so here's hoping.
Oh, it gets worse than that. We definitely have our share of below freezing weather, but it doesn't stick around all winter. I think I have seen about 3 weeks straight of sub-freezing weather as the longest stretch. When it snows here, things shut down. The city doesn't really have plows or deicing machines. Also, since our winters are often on the cusp of freezing, when it snows we have a lot of snow melting in the roads, then freezing at night, so the roads become super slipery and treacherous. It is also a humid cold here, which feels very different than the dry cold in the midwest. I was recently in Edmonton, AB, and the subzero weather felt really cold, but not that much colder than a 20 degree day in Seattle. You'll see what I mean.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:42 pm

dreakol wrote:IR 1/21----> IR 2/09

hmmmmm
I'm still 1/21. :(

ffonsok

New

Post by ffonsok » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:47 pm

Yeah IR 1/24 still today.

UW undergrad, Comm Major- Law minor... 162 LSAT / 3.63 GPA
Two letters of recommendation from professors for undergrad law / soc classes

Chances?

Beautiful day in the U district today. Wouldn't mind being in seattle for another 3 years :)

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Flett wrote:
dreakol wrote:IR 1/21----> IR 2/09

hmmmmm
I'm still 1/21. :(
Me too. =(

rs2004

Silver