U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
upfish

Silver

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by upfish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:14 pm

krad wrote:
Flett wrote:Upfish... every time I see your avatar I have to sit here and watch the dinosaurs...
lolmetoo
8)

(I do it too sometimes.)

Edit: At the CU ASD, a group of TLSers turned around and were like, "Are you the dinosaur!?" I was totally puzzled until I remember my avatar, and it was pretty hilarious haha. Apparently everyone is mesmerized by the animated dinosaur comics rendition of "Shoop."

seaboot

New

Post by seaboot » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:So on Friday, I called the admissions office regarding my application (IR since 1/24) and had a pretty interesting conversation with Matthew Le, Director of Admissions:

Essentially, he told me that my application is still in review despite my below median LSAT and GPA; apparently, enough people on the committee are "fighting for me" to the point where my application has gone to 4 different subcommittees as of Friday (still no decision as of today). He also told me that given all the dings and waitlists thus far, I should feel "somewhat optimistic" about my chances, and that I should call him directly if I haven't heard from them by the end of this week. They must like my personal statement :lol:

Just an interesting insight into their admissions process, good luck you guys!
IR 1/24 too. Numbers slightly lower, just assumed they hadn't gotten around to denying me yet. While that's probably what's going on, your story gives me a little hope that UW might like me...

Good luck!

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:19 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
gens1tb wrote:Wait what?

I've been In Review since 1/24 as well; I didn't realize that was interesting enough to warrant a call...

I'm really tempted to call them, but my numbers are right around median... I honestly don't even know how I'd start that conversation.
Haha my thoughts too. That's obviously an awesome story, but I'm 1/21 and would be afraid of just annoying them more than anything.
That is my constant fear. On the one hand I think calls like that show that you're interested in the school. On the other hand, perhaps it shows impatience. Gahhhh

tony1003

New

Post by tony1003 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Wow! 1/24 too with below LSAT but middle GPA and URM. This is making me feel a little better about it being march and not knowing anything yet.

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:32 pm

Next person who calls in needs to ask, "hey, how would you feel about all of my friends from the intranetz calling in to ask the same question -- would that make you more or less likely to admit all of them as well?"

Thanks! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:So on Friday, I called the admissions office regarding my application (IR since 1/24) and had a pretty interesting conversation with Matthew Le, Director of Admissions:

Essentially, he told me that my application is still in review despite my below median LSAT and GPA; apparently, enough people on the committee are "fighting for me" to the point where my application has gone to 4 different subcommittees as of Friday (still no decision as of today). He also told me that given all the dings and waitlists thus far, I should feel "somewhat optimistic" about my chances, and that I should call him directly if I haven't heard from them by the end of this week. They must like my personal statement :lol:

Just an interesting insight into their admissions process, good luck you guys!
BLESS YOU.

You have given me a reason to live. No, srsly. I danced around the kitchen when I read this. IR 1/21 and complete since 11/15. My numbers aren't so good so I figured that was the holdup. Not to toot my own horn and whatnot, but I'm darn proud of my PS so what you said about that makes sense. And I want to pursue a career in a fairly new/obscure area of law too - maybe that helped?

I already sent a LOCI, but I'm going to call tomorrow anyhow.

Thanks for the info!

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:39 pm

seaboot wrote:IR 1/24 too. Numbers slightly lower, just assumed they hadn't gotten around to denying me yet. While that's probably what's going on, your story gives me a little hope that UW might like me...
While it makes me think, "Heeeey, why'd I already get waitlisted instead of fought over moar?"

Sorry peeps, I can only be so selfless in this thread. :D I want everyone to get in, even those who have already been rejected (cray cray!) but I want to pout just a tiny bit, too.

deja, I love your idea. Hahaha. HAI, can my interwebz frendz come with pleese?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm

deja wrote:Next person who calls in needs to ask, "hey, how would you feel about all of my friends from the intranetz calling in to ask the same question -- would that make you more or less likely to admit all of them as well?"

Thanks! :D
:lol:

tony1003

New

Post by tony1003 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

What do people think about writing a LOCI while still in review? I assumed it was something you saved for WL?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:50 pm

tony1003 wrote:What do people think about writing a LOCI while still in review? I assumed it was something you saved for WL?
literally just logged back on to tls to ask this question

though they were talking about loci a page ago and I get the impression UW is pretty indifferent about them

jppatt16

New

Post by jppatt16 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:57 pm

I don't know if this was a concern for anyone else, but it doesn't look like Wash offers travel stipends/reimbursements for attending ASD.

Time to hit up Travelocity and Orbitz with a religious fervor.

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:11 pm

tony1003 wrote:What do people think about writing a LOCI while still in review? I assumed it was something you saved for WL?
Yeah... I'm not sure it would help unless something changed that would affect their deliberations. For example, I emailed them mine because I wanted to inform them about a recent update to my file that is relevant: I will be moving to Seattle this summer with or without an offer of admission. My husband will be in their graduate program so I am bound to the city and would definitely accept an offer if they offered one.

If you don't have any new info though it might be kind of pointless. My thinking is that if you haven't withdrawn your application, they assume you are still interested. On the other hand, it may help to reiterate your enthusiasm for the school. And it definitely can't hurt, right?

tony1003

New

Post by tony1003 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Yeah well considering my undergrad is on quarters I will have a GPA update next week...that might be a good reason to write one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:00 pm

hey Papa Smurf, did you ask to speak to Mr. Le directly? Or, did you call to inquire in general about your application since it's been in review for like six weeks

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Anyone know when scholarships are offered?

Papa Smurf

New

Post by Papa Smurf » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 pm

gens1tb wrote:hey Papa Smurf, did you ask to speak to Mr. Le directly? Or, did you call to inquire in general about your application since it's been in review for like six weeks
Mr. Le actually picked up the main line for the admissions office, everyone was at lunch apparently. I just generally inquired pretty much along the lines of what you're saying, he was incredibly nice and helpful about it. He actually didn't reveal who he was until we were almost done, I was obviously a bit surprised haha

Just be friendly and non-confrontational if you guys call, I don't see any reason for them to get pissy if you do

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:25 pm

whitman wrote:Anyone know when scholarships are offered?
Have you submitted the application for scholarship yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:25 pm

After seeing Papa Smurf's post, I actually just looked up Mr. Le's number and called him directly. He told me a similar thing: there are four committees of review, if the first committee can't reach a decision you are sent to the next committee, and sent to the next if they still can't reach a decision, etc.

He told me that my application had just left the FOURTH AND LAST committee, which means that a decision was made TODAY (GAH!), but he said he did not know what the decision was -- only that my application had left the final committee. He said that I should see a status change by Friday and that my decision should also be mailed be Friday.

I think when my status changes, I might call admissions and see if they will tell me. I feel like they won't, just based on everyone else's experience.

Mr. Le was nice though, and he was very professional. He ALSO told me that next year, UW will be doing rolling admissions.

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:29 pm

chicityteacher wrote:After seeing Papa Smurf's post, I actually just looked up Mr. Le's number and called him directly. He told me a similar thing: there are four committees of review, if the first committee can't reach a decision you are sent to the next committee, and sent to the next if they still can't reach a decision, etc.

He told me that my application had just left the FOURTH AND LAST committee, which means that a decision was made TODAY (GAH!), but he said he did not know what the decision was -- only that my application had left the final committee. He said that I should see a status change by Friday and that my decision should also be mailed be Friday.

I think when my status changes, I might call admissions and see if they will tell me. I feel like they won't, just based on everyone else's experience.

Mr. Le was nice though, and he was very professional. He ALSO told me that next year, UW will be doing rolling admissions.
CHI!!!!!!!!! Movement in the 12/1's!! Congrats!

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:32 pm

deja wrote:
chicityteacher wrote:After seeing Papa Smurf's post, I actually just looked up Mr. Le's number and called him directly. He told me a similar thing: there are four committees of review, if the first committee can't reach a decision you are sent to the next committee, and sent to the next if they still can't reach a decision, etc.

Thanks, but I wouldn't say congrats yet...I could just have a WL or deny heading my way.

But the implication is that my application went through all the committees they have, and thus I wouldn't be surprised if other 12/1ers also will make there way out of the committee gauntlet soon. So, I feel like all you other 12/1ers out there might see some movement in your statuses by Friday.

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:Mr. Le actually picked up the main line for the admissions office, everyone was at lunch apparently. I just generally inquired pretty much along the lines of what you're saying, he was incredibly nice and helpful about it. He actually didn't reveal who he was until we were almost done, I was obviously a bit surprised haha

Just be friendly and non-confrontational if you guys call, I don't see any reason for them to get pissy if you do
Thanks for both of these posts. I don't think I'm going to call since these two posts answer my questions-- my application is also probably somewhere in that committee process and I'd only be calling to show my interest, but since that action would likely never make it back to a committee I don't know that it has a point.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mr_Brightside

New

Post by Mr_Brightside » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm

chicityteacher wrote:
deja wrote:

Thanks, but I wouldn't say congrats yet...I could just have a WL or deny heading my way.

But the implication is that my application went through all the committees they have, and thus I wouldn't be surprised if other 12/1ers also will make there way out of the committee gauntlet soon. So, I feel like all you other 12/1ers out there might see some movement in your statuses by Friday.
FWIW I, too, just got off the phone with Admissions (Not Mr. Le, as I don't know if my call would have been important enough to bother him). I'm 12/1 as well and the lady on the phone said after looking up my file that I am still in review but that I should consider that a good thing, in a no news is good news kind of way. She couldn't guarantee a response before 4/1, but she did say that I should look for something within this week-- MOVEMENT

EDIT: I wish I had spoken to Mr. Le, perhaps I could've gotten a more detailed answer

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:40 pm

geoduck wrote:
TreeHugger20 wrote:
deja wrote:
TreeHugger20 wrote:My husband was accepted to the graduate program with a generous assistantship, so now we're going to Seattle no matter what I hear from UW. So stressed out!!! Take pity on me, UW...
Good luck - we'll keep fingers crossed for you too! Would you do Seattle U?
Probably not. I hate not to go anywhere, but I was hoping they would offer me more money than they did. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of going there and paying their ridiculous tuition and still not being able to get a job. Not to mention, we don't plan to stay in the state of Washington after we graduate so I need to go somewhere that is less regional than SU. I'm thinking I could reapply to UW next year after I have residency and hope for the best.

Thanks for the support, everybody!
SU is great were you planning on staying here... But with that out of the picture it sounds like UW or bust. Hopefully you get in! If not, maybe retake while you're waiting for residency? How long is your husband's grad program?
Sorry it took me so long to reply... my iPhone wouldn't let me reply to this because it was so long and I couldn't scroll to the bottom of the quoted portion to start typing. Anyways, yeah I guess I'll retake the LSAT if I don't get in this time around and hope that my new score is better. And also, getting residency would be great because it would be cheaper and it would give me a leg up since they admit 60% from in-state. My husband will be at UW for at least five years, maybe six. I was hoping to be able to pay back my loans at a real lawyer job after I graduate, so I'd like to get in this time around, but it isn't the end of the world if I don't.

clarsen

New

Post by clarsen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Hopefully I only have a couple more days of waiting! Decision letter mailed 03/07/2011. I'm not very hopeful as UW was a huge reach for me, but with no option to leave Seattle, and acceptance already at Seattle University, there really can't be bad news at this point.

I submitted my app on 1/9, went IR 1/24, updated to IR 3/7, and decision letter mailed 3/7.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:23 pm

I spoke with the LRAP-specific folks and have information for anyone interested in the LRAP (for PI/SJ) and, with that I also bring a question.

Has anyone heard anything, at all, about how UW's OCI was last year or has been historically? I poked around on Google for a while and didn't really find anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”