U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PinkCow

Silver

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by PinkCow » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:31 pm

geoduck wrote:
chicityteacher wrote:
dr123 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Sketch =/= 1 attempted knife-stabbing + 1 attempted car jacking in the period of a few hours.

I lived in a *really* ghetto neighborhood in one of Forbes' "most miserable + violent cities" and rarely saw anything like that, even though objectively the rates of crime particularly violent crime were much higher than Seattle.

I guess it's possible but it just seems highly unlikely.
um okay you've been to seattle once or twice maybe? South seattle can get pretty sketch (although not as bad when compared to some areas such as LA, etc.. but sketch nonetheless) and if you disagree you probably don;t know the area. downtown and north seattle (where UW is) is very very nice, but south seattle is definitely kind of sketch
Any city of decent size, like Seattle, is inevitably going to have "sketch" places and people. That being said, as someone who has lived in both Seattle and Chicago, I think Seattle is working with a different spectrum of "sketch" than other cities with more drastic social problems.

I see I've caused quite a stir with my stories of sketch! As far as the knife man goes, this is what I think:

1. He was obviously mentally disturbed, and likely had no motives behind the "gonna cut you" phrase (e.g., taking our money ,etc.).
2. He saw a seemingly large and daunting group of people coming at him for about 2 minutes until we eventually ran into him, so he was probably thinking we were gonna mess with him.
3. So, he whipped out the knife just so he could walk through of us?

*To be fair, 4/6 of us were girls, and neither of us guys look menacing at all, but to some crazy dude at night, who knows.

*I have yet to explain the attempted car-jacking. I can only say that it was under that long overpass bridge thing that separates lower Pike's from upper Pike's where all the bums and such kinda hang out anyway. Doesn't seem like the best location to park your car.

Anyway, back to discussion of acceptances/rejections/waitlists :)

LSATurday

New

Post by LSATurday » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Received admit pack today. 3.3/173, no scholly info. Applied around new years.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:52 pm

Oh man, Adjudicator will be sad that they're letting in splitters and he, the ultimate splitter, didn't get the nod :(

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Oh man, Adjudicator will be sad that they're letting in splitters and he, the ultimate splitter, didn't get the nod :(
University of Washington School of Law: The Creator of Dreams, and the Destroyer of Worlds.

The good Husky giveth, and the good Husky taketh away.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 am

chicityteacher wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Oh man, Adjudicator will be sad that they're letting in splitters and he, the ultimate splitter, didn't get the nod :(
University of Washington School of Law: The Creator of Dreams, and the Destroyer of Worlds.

The good Husky giveth, and the good Husky taketh away.
Well done!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:25 am

Gahhhh decision mailed 2/16 just popped up on my checker today!!! Nervous :?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:26 am

krad wrote:Gahhhh decision mailed 2/16 just popped up on my checker today!!! Nervous :?
Fingers crossed for you k-rad.

Welcome to the post apocolyptic horror film: DECISION 2/16

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:28 am

snapdragon wrote:
krad wrote:Gahhhh decision mailed 2/16 just popped up on my checker today!!! Nervous :?
Fingers crossed for you k-rad.

Welcome to the post apocolyptic horror film: DECISION 2/16
Haha thanks snaps! I wouldn't have had any idea, because normally I only check my status checkers on Mondays (to keep myself sane), but this week I've been all impatient...

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:37 pm

Good luck in the wait! I'm still waiting on my decision mailed 2/15... and there's only one building blocking my view of the campus! I'm really really tempted to call them today and see if I can get a decision over the phone... or at least find out if they've sent the damn thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:53 pm

geoduck wrote:
Good luck in the wait! I'm still waiting on my decision mailed 2/15... and there's only one building blocking my view of the campus! I'm really really tempted to call them today and see if I can get a decision over the phone... or at least find out if they've sent the damn thing.
We're in very similar scenarios. You should call them and let me know if you have any luck. :) I might do it when I get home, but that's not til 430ish.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:22 pm

Well I called. The nice woman in admissions said that they could not release the decision over the phone. She also said that it doesn't even look like the 2/15 batch has actually been sent out yet. The dean has to sign all the letters and is a bit backlogged, I believe from being sick (though I may have misheard that). She's going to investigate further and call me back to let me know.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:25 pm

geoduck wrote:Well I called. The nice woman in admissions said that they could not release the decision over the phone. She also said that it doesn't even look like the 2/15 batch has actually been sent out yet. The dean has to sign all the letters and is a bit backlogged, I believe from being sick (though I may have misheard that). She's going to investigate further and call me back to let me know.
Oh my gosh, UDub....really?? Why even put it on the status checkers then? Crazy.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:25 pm

There's a lag between "DECISION LETTER SENT!1111" and when it actually gets sent, as I constantly remind every new batch :) It took *four days* for my packet to get into the mail from the date when I went "decision letter sent" so... yea. Whether the Dean is sick or whether they just wait to send out a bunch of stuff at the same time, who knows. But they definitely do *NOT* send the letter right when they say they're sending it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:28 pm

UW is not weird/unusual lol! Other schools have checkers that say the letter has been mailed when it doesn't actually go out for a few days... It's still annoying, though :roll: :)

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:30 pm

Yeah. UW's bureaucracy is ridiculous. You will get used to it if you go there. It makes total sense to me that someone would switch "decision letter sent" when someone else didn't switch the status to "decision" and when someone else hadn't even had the thing signed and sent yet. And they could mix that up in any order.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:31 pm

geoduck wrote:Yeah. UW's bureaucracy is ridiculous. You will get used to it if you go there. It makes total sense to me that someone would switch "decision letter sent" when someone else didn't switch the status to "decision" and when someone else hadn't even had the thing signed and sent yet. And they could mix that up in any order.
lolyup! I'm still "IR 1/21" but my letter was "sent" 2/16 :mrgreen:

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:35 pm

krad wrote:
geoduck wrote:Yeah. UW's bureaucracy is ridiculous. You will get used to it if you go there. It makes total sense to me that someone would switch "decision letter sent" when someone else didn't switch the status to "decision" and when someone else hadn't even had the thing signed and sent yet. And they could mix that up in any order.
lolyup! I'm still "IR 1/21" but my letter was "sent" 2/16 :mrgreen:
+1 here. I guess I'll stop stalking the mailbox.. if decision letters 2/15 haven't gone out yet then I doubt the 2/16s have!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Hmm starting to wonder if I can just walk over there, pick it up, and save them the postage.

but damn lol that they haven't even been sent yet, you think they could find some other language than "decision letter mailed." this is the last school I'm wating to hear from!

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:06 pm

snapdragon wrote:+1 here. I guess I'll stop stalking the mailbox.. if decision letters 2/15 haven't gone out yet then I doubt the 2/16s have!
This is the sound of me deflating. :) My other letter was so fast! I wish this one was, too. Ohwells.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:07 pm

JakeL wrote:Hmm starting to wonder if I can just walk over there, pick it up, and save them the postage.

but damn lol that they haven't even been sent yet, you think they could find some other language than "decision letter mailed." this is the last school I'm wating to hear from!
Heh yeah, for serious.

Like, "Decision reached, letter will be mailed this week."

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:11 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JakeL wrote:Hmm starting to wonder if I can just walk over there, pick it up, and save them the postage.

Heh yeah, for serious.

Like, "Decision reached, letter will be mailed this week."
Or they could just switch to e-mail or phone call decisions like a civilized university. At least e-mail for the waitlist and rejections... You'd think a NW school would be more concerned with wasting trees :o

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:13 pm

geoduck wrote:Or they could just switch to e-mail or phone call decisions like a civilized university. At least e-mail for the waitlist and rejections... You'd think a NW school would be more concerned with wasting trees :o
+10^10 Siiiiiiiiigh.

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:17 pm

i just want to say that this is by far my favorite TLS thread in this forum. everyone here is super supportive and understanding of the waiting angst and even our mutual angst towards UW is good-spirited because we like the school so much. all in all, i hope the dean signs those letters today and sends them out today and you get them by week's end.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:20 pm

rs2004 wrote:i just want to say that this is by far my favorite TLS thread in this forum. everyone here is super supportive and understanding of the waiting angst and even our mutual angst towards UW is good-spirited because we like the school so much. all in all, i hope the dean signs those letters today and sends them out today and you get them by week's end.
+1

The UW thread last year was awesome as well. UW just attracts great people?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:22 pm

rs2004 wrote:i just want to say that this is by far my favorite TLS thread in this forum. everyone here is super supportive and understanding of the waiting angst and even our mutual angst towards UW is good-spirited because we like the school so much. all in all, i hope the dean signs those letters today and sends them out today and you get them by week's end.
This. I will miss the UW thread the most when the inevitable doom comes upon me :( Y'all are a great group of people. Maybe I should just take my scholarship to SU and try to be cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”