U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by SherlockHolmes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

certpetitioner wrote:I was admitted on Valentine's Day. 157 LSAT and 3.2 GPA. But had great softs.
Are you by chance a WA resident?

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:00 pm

crit_racer wrote:this is blowing my mind. Props to UW for giving USNWR the big FUCK YOU re. rankings/numbers, but I wish their approach was more favorable to my own app (I dont think it will be)
+1

fencod

New

Post by fencod » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:01 pm

certpetitioner wrote:I was admitted on Valentine's Day. 157 LSAT and 3.2 GPA. But had great softs.

congrats! mind sharing your softs?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:04 pm

crit_racer wrote:this is blowing my mind. Props to UW for giving USNWR the big FUCK YOU re. rankings/numbers, but I wish their approach was more favorable to my own app (I dont think it will be)
I don't quite get how UW is rebelling against USNWR. Seems like they're strengthening their GPA rating and their selectivity rating. I haven't seen enough evidence that they are weakening their LSAT rating since it was only 160/25-166/75 before.

EDIT: Granted, they probably screwed up by not even waitlisting Adjudicator. The GPA's not so hot, but that 175 would've more than balanced. The only thing I can think is that they weren't convinced that you'd attend so it was a combination of splitter-hate and YP.
Last edited by geoduck on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:07 pm

fencod wrote:

Yea, could you please define "great"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't think we've seen enough of anything to determine this, but I don't see how UW dropping any more in the rankings is a good thing...

clarsen

New

Post by clarsen » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Seriously?! Wow...I only applied to UW because I have been a lifelong dawg and cannot relocate for law school. Seattle University has been my top choice, but only because I did not think UW was a legitimate option for me. I feel terrible for those with high scores who are not getting in, but I can't help but wonder if now I have a shot.

Thanks for the encouraging news!

apaint

Bronze

Post by apaint » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:18 pm

This is a complete shot in the dark but do you think the applicants with lower numbers were admitted this early because they applied to the Gates PSL scholarship and so if their application looked strong for the scholarship UW wanted to admit them in time for the Gates review process??? There just seems to be a trend of solid softs and then a mix of OOS, non-URM/URM, etc...

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:19 pm

I applied to Gates PSL so it's certainly possible...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:20 pm

JakeL wrote:
fencod wrote:

is it just me, or does everyone think they have great softs?

fencod

New

Post by fencod » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:25 pm

sabenser wrote:

I really don't think I do but I'm hoping UW does.

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 pm

sabenser wrote:
JakeL wrote:
fencod wrote:

Aside from being 1/4 NA, my softs are below average at best.

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:29 pm

I don't think my softs are that great.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:31 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:Aside from being 1/4 NA, my softs are below average at best.
1/4= full benefits in everything i've ever seen, sure you know that though. Native Americans seem to be a heavily URM too...

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:33 pm

i think my softs are pretty damn good. helped me get scholarships in T2 schools where people with like numbers got less money. will it help for UW- who knows?

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Kinderby wrote:I don't think my softs are that great.
I guess it's just me then, ha.

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:44 pm

JakeL wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:Aside from being 1/4 NA, my softs are below average at best.
1/4= full benefits in everything i've ever seen, sure you know that though. Native Americans seem to be a heavily URM too...
I think the notorious URM boost varies concerning NAs. With those with having strong cultural ties getting the largest boost, followed by tribal card carriers, and lastly by significant blood quantum. Just my two cents though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:48 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:
JakeL wrote:
I think the notorious URM boost varies concerning NAs. With those with having strong cultural ties getting the largest boost, followed by tribal card carriers, and lastly by significant blood quantum. Just my two cents though.
Yea I guess, but how does UW know any of this. Is there more than just checking off a box?

SherlockHolmes

Bronze

Post by SherlockHolmes » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:49 pm

JakeL wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:
JakeL wrote:
Yea I guess, but how does UW know any of this. Is there more than just checking off a box?
Some applications will ask what tribe you're affiliated with and what your tribal I.D. number is. Others just have a box.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:51 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:
JakeL wrote:
I'm 1/8 Cherokee with a tribal card and a CDIB card, and it seems to be helping a lot despite no direct reference in my app.

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:03 pm

sabenser wrote:
Kinderby wrote:I don't think my softs are that great.
I guess it's just me then, ha.
I take it back; I gotta have faith in me! I do have some more unusual experiences. (Well now that just sounds weird.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

certpetitioner

New

Post by certpetitioner » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:53 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:
Are you by chance a WA resident?
No, I am not a Washington resident. I will explain my softs later today.

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

No offense, but I hope the gates scholarship people did not get a boost for admission...otherwise I'll really regret not applying for it.

I actually might call them today...I really want someone to tell me like, over the phone, that I actually have been in review all this time. I just want to make sure my status checker is correct and they haven't lost my application or something. What's the worst that could happen?

Sidenote: has anyone noticed like, a specific time of day that the status checker updates?

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:51 pm

Omg, I just looked and they have another mailing listed for me now!! Decision Letter 2/16. :shock: There is no barfing-face. There should be.

ScrabbleChamp

Silver

Post by ScrabbleChamp » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:55 pm

chicityteacher wrote:No offense, but I hope the gates scholarship people did not get a boost for admission...otherwise I'll really regret not applying for it.

I actually might call them today...I really want someone to tell me like, over the phone, that I actually have been in review all this time. I just want to make sure my status checker is correct and they haven't lost my application or something. What's the worst that could happen?

Sidenote: has anyone noticed like, a specific time of day that the status checker updates?
I'm telling you, call them! Seriously, what do you have to lose? Worst-case-scenario, they tell you they can't tell you anything and/or that you are still in review. Best-case-scenario, they inform you that you are in. They aren't going to reject you just for calling to check on your status. Plus, calling to check on your status may get them to investigate why your file is still IR, and they may realize they just forgot to send your admittance letter and update your status. Call and report back your findings. :-)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”