U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gens1tb

Bronze

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by gens1tb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 am

Hey sorry geoduck

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 am

chicityteacher wrote:Alright, he finally called back after my last class ended and I am IN!!!

Absolutely could NOT be happier. I am DEFINITELY attending. I will be sad to leave my students, but I can't wait to out of Chi and back to Seattle.

I have to say this process - especially UW - has been terribly agonizing, but it has been much easier with the collective support and friendship of you all. Good luck to the rest of you and I hope to see you in 1L classes next year!

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited for you! I hope the rest of us waiting will hear good news too so that we can all be classmates! :mrgreen:

chicityteacher

Bronze

Post by chicityteacher » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 am

WayBryson wrote:My LSATs average to a 167; I have a 3.78 LSAC GPA; I wrote a 2 page Resume (FYI, the UW application makes their stress of the longer resume pretty clear); and I have substantial softs: 4 years living/working abroad, undergraduate academic honors, political volunteer experience at the state level, etc. I am also from the Northwest and lived in Washington for two years.

Dinged. 2/15

However, I am also in at Vanderbilt and USC, and as of yet, I have not been dinged at Yale or Stanford. The UW rejection surprised me--a why UW essay centered on their Asian Law Center, which I considered writing, seems like a good idea in retrospect--but I really can't be too upset by the rejection. If you had the credentials to consider yourself an auto-admit, or near to it, at UW (I considered it a safety) then you almost certainly will gain acceptance to another outstanding law school.

Congrats to all the admits, and if you aren't from the city, then be sure to find one of the two branches of Espresso Vivace. One of the best coffee establishments on earth--I am sure some others on this thread will back me up on this :wink:
Wow, that is really surprising. I'm sorry to hear that, but it sounds like you got in to some fantastic schools regardless. This HAS to be yield protection. Given your numbers and awesome softs, I'm sure they just assumed you probably would not attend anyway. You may be right that the "Why UW" essay could have made a difference. USC and Vandy are solid though, congrats on that.

You are, I think, another fine example of why many of UW's decisions this year have made NO SENSE whatsoever. (see: Adjudicator)

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:06 pm

gens1tb wrote:Hey sorry geoduck
No worries :D

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:49 pm

akili wrote:
Kinderby wrote:My personal statement kind of was my GPA addendum. I talked about my moving abroad stuff, too, but I keep wondering if I should've done a totally separate statement about it. :?

mustnot"mediate"internetmisunderstandingmustnot"mediate"internetmisunderstanding
Kinderby, I kind of love you.
+1 The admissions people just need to come read this forum and realize that they don't need to bother to put together an incoming class because the "natural selection" of the internet has amassed an amazing potential entering class for them right here on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm

deja wrote:
akili wrote:
Kinderby wrote:My personal statement kind of was my GPA addendum. I talked about my moving abroad stuff, too, but I keep wondering if I should've done a totally separate statement about it. :?

mustnot"mediate"internetmisunderstandingmustnot"mediate"internetmisunderstanding
Kinderby, I kind of love you.
+1 The admissions people just need to come read this forum and realize that they don't need to bother to put together an incoming class because the "natural selection" of the internet has amassed an amazing potential entering class for them right here on TLS.
+1 millionbilliontrillion!

Kinderby

Bronze

Post by Kinderby » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:04 pm

^a google :)

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:44 pm

So I talked to Mr. Le last night about scholarships. He said that they have begun to process the applications and that scholarship offers should start going out next week. I'm having a bit of trouble matching what he told me with with ABA grant data, but it was all very encouraging. For all you out of staters, know that UW likes to grant a one year scholarship to you that brings you down to paying in-state tuition until you qualify for the tuition waiver for years 2 and 3. For the rest, there is a small (I think he said 4k) grant that the school itself gives out based on your FAFSA data. The rest is all merit based in amounts of 1K and up. The handy bit that he emphasized is that all (or at least the vast majority) of the scholarships they hand out are without condition. So you can get as low of a grade as you want and your scholarship isn't affected!

He also told me that the Gates scholarship is their only full ride option, but the math doesn't make sense on that one to me. According to the website, there are 5 Gates PSL scholars per year. According to the ABA data, there were 35 students out of the 534 that were receiving more than full tuition and 2 that were receiving full tuition in whatever year. So either they cut the number of Gates scholarships given per year, or there were 20 people (so.. 6.66 per year) that managed to get full tuition + stipend without the PSL, plus 2 that got full tuition.

I guess we'll see. He's now aware of my full ride at UMN, so if UW does care about merit negotiation I should know next week.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm

And you were all bad-mouthing W this time last week :P They really are great people...

I am excited to hear about the scholarship stuff next week and to see where W is on the rankings on Tuesday, not that it really matters.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:53 pm

I still think that they have a looonnnggg way to go regarding mass communication and that they should take some heavy cues from UMN, which is similarly sized and ranked but is much better at keeping everyone informed. But the peeps at UW are extremely nice and responsive on the one-on-one scale.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:56 pm

geoduck wrote:I still think that they have a looonnnggg way to go regarding mass communication and that they should take some heavy cues from UMN, which is similarly sized and ranked but is much better at keeping everyone informed. But the peeps at UW are extremely nice and responsive on the one-on-one scale.
They just want people to step out of their shells, and pick up the phone. So much so that several of my questions via e-mail were replied to with "Please, call us." My husband has said the same thing about his inquiries into their pharmacy program for transfer. They just like voice commo... which is definitely a dying art. LOL!

buchy2009

Bronze

Post by buchy2009 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm

gens1tb wrote:Went to check my status checker... expecting the same "In Review"

Current Status: Decision

......oh my god

+1

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:02 pm

buchy2009 wrote:
gens1tb wrote:Went to check my status checker... expecting the same "In Review"

Current Status: Decision

......oh my god

+1
Still IR 1/21 :( I think the whole UW campus has read my application by now...at least I have them deliberating I suppose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 pm

jwmalone87 wrote: Still IR 1/21 :( I think the whole UW campus has read my application by now...at least I have them deliberating I suppose.
+1. I'm thinking that while I'm in Seattle I'll just walk in and be like "go ahead, reject me. I'll wait right here!"

the suspense is killing me, and i'm such a borderline candidate, if that. :(

gens1tb

Bronze

Post by gens1tb » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
geoduck wrote:I still think that they have a looonnnggg way to go regarding mass communication and that they should take some heavy cues from UMN, which is similarly sized and ranked but is much better at keeping everyone informed. But the peeps at UW are extremely nice and responsive on the one-on-one scale.
They just want people to step out of their shells, and pick up the phone. So much so that several of my questions via e-mail were replied to with "Please, call us." My husband has said the same thing about his inquiries into their pharmacy program for transfer. They just like voice commo... which is definitely a dying art. LOL!
I'm always worried about "bothering" them, I mean they're there to answer to questions, but it's still some weird psychological barrier.

I really need to get over it.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:17 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going to call tomorrow to see what's happening with my application.

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:17 pm

So I decided to stop being shy and called them. The super nice guy that I talked to (Mr. Le?) said that my application is in the last committee, and that they should meet before the end of the week. He said someone is fighting for me because they have rejected and waitlisted a lot of people. Hope for those of us still in review since 1/21 or earlier!

I'm so nervous because I like to be pessimistic in order to never be terribly disappointed, but I'm getting all hopeful and whatnot! :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:21 pm

TreeHugger20 wrote:So I decided to stop being shy and called them. The super nice guy that I talked to (Mr. Le?) said that my application is in the last committee, and that they should meet before the end of the week. He said someone is fighting for me because they have rejected and waitlisted a lot of people. Hope for those of us still in review since 1/21 or earlier!

I'm so nervous because I like to be pessimistic in order to never be terribly disappointed, but I'm getting all hopeful and whatnot! :|

You're not the first person to quote him as saying this. Honestly, I don't understand what it even means. If what he's saying is true, than you should at the very least receive a WL offer. It will be interesting to see if anyone from your batch gets dinged.

Edit: I also thought that ever committee consisted of different people, which would mean that one person at least in each previous committee wanted you to be admitted. IDK, all seems very vague to me.

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:51 pm

akili wrote:I'm pretty sure I'm going to call tomorrow to see what's happening with my application.
Hey akili, it looks like your back again. Good luck this time around. I didn't apply to UW this year. I'm retaking the LSAT and reapplying for next year (assuming I don't get into Hastings this year). Hastings has the LEOP program which means the LSAT is weighted less, and "greater emphases" is placed on the other aspects of one's application. So if I still can't get in with my LSAT score, then retake and UW here I come!!

ProfitsProphets

Bronze

Post by ProfitsProphets » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 pm

I see many of you are playing the waiting game. UW is strange in that regard. Last year I applied on the very first day with what many may consider an auto-reject LSAT score, and I didn't get a response (rejection) until the very last day of the cycle. Either I was a "maybe," or they were being very cruel by making me wait so long.

falias

New

Post by falias » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:07 pm

You would think that if you are in the committee process this late in the cycle, then the only two outcomes would be admit or WL. I mean I understand that a reject can happen based on certain people in the committee wanting to reject you, but if there are people trying to persuade others to get you in, that should mean either you get in, or the compromise would be a WL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LSATurday

New

Post by LSATurday » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Anyone other admits get a call from a Prof?

Kind of awkward, seemed like she didn't want to be on the phone and couldn't really answer my basic questions...

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:33 pm

JakeL wrote:
TreeHugger20 wrote:So I decided to stop being shy and called them. The super nice guy that I talked to (Mr. Le?) said that my application is in the last committee, and that they should meet before the end of the week. He said someone is fighting for me because they have rejected and waitlisted a lot of people. Hope for those of us still in review since 1/21 or earlier!

You're not the first person to quote him as saying this. Honestly, I don't understand what it even means. If what he's saying is true, than you should at the very least receive a WL offer. It will be interesting to see if anyone from your batch gets dinged.

Edit: I also thought that ever committee consisted of different people, which would mean that one person at least in each previous committee wanted you to be admitted. IDK, all seems very vague to me.
Yeah, man. I was thinking the same things. It is very vague, and it seems like there was one person on here who did have a similar review date and was told that, not only were they dinged, but that they were an auto-ding. Very confusing.

And is it possible that some of the same people are on different committees or something...?

booksforxmas

New

Post by booksforxmas » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:18 pm

IR 1/21
Decision 3/9

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm

booksforxmas wrote:IR 1/21
Decision 3/9
Same day as me! I'm still in review though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”