U Washington 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
apaint

Bronze

Re: U Washington 2011 Applicants

Post by apaint » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:22 pm

layercake wrote: Yes, how about you? Are we going to be classmates?
Pretty good chance. I am going out there in two weeks for the gates psl interview. Not expecting to get it but it will be nice to see the campus, Seattle, etc... Determine if I can deal with the rainy weather.

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:30 pm

apaint wrote:
layercake wrote: Yes, how about you? Are we going to be classmates?
Pretty good chance. I am going out there in two weeks for the gates psl interview. Not expecting to get it but it will be nice to see the campus, Seattle, etc... Determine if I can deal with the rainy weather.
Oh nice, congrats on the interview and good luck with it!

As for the weather, if you live in a nice sunny place right now, it will be a little difficult when you first move. The overcast and drizzle makes you appreciate and value the sunny days, which makes you take advantage of them. OR at least try to, there was this one day I look out and see a perfect day so I start planning a boating trip on Green Lake, a few minutes later I look out and it is cloudy and raining :) fun times.

kayskay

New

Post by kayskay » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:39 pm

jppatt16 wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Dirk Lang wrote:To those who have filled out scholarship app, anyone get a scholarship offer yet? They took a long time to send out decisions but they have to get back to us with $$ soon if they want to stay competitive. I really want to go to UW but without knowing the money situation its hard. It's really getting to be last minute here.
I asked Mr. Le about it early last week. He said they were starting then and that I should hear back early this week. It is no longer early this week and I'm currently on a train, so I guess I'll see if they meant that they mail early this week when I get back.
I've yet to receive anything myself...I have a suspicion that we aren't going to wind up getting notice until the end of next week the way things have been going.

Got my scholarship as an attachment via email today. I submitted the essay Monday, so it looks like they've got a pretty fast turnaround as far as review and offers go. In all honesty, I wasn't expecting anything (<-- sounds totally contrived, I know, sorry, I promise I'm sincere) so I'm pretty legitimately stoked. That said, it isn't anywhere near one of those insane 120k deals so I'm not sure how that process goes. No indication if it's from a specific scholarship (like the ones listed on the FinAid site) or just a general fund, but I'll take it! I'd put my deposit down already anyway, but it's certainly a really great bonus.

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:41 pm

kayskay wrote:
jppatt16 wrote:
geoduck wrote:
Dirk Lang wrote:To those who have filled out scholarship app, anyone get a scholarship offer yet? They took a long time to send out decisions but they have to get back to us with $$ soon if they want to stay competitive. I really want to go to UW but without knowing the money situation its hard. It's really getting to be last minute here.
I asked Mr. Le about it early last week. He said they were starting then and that I should hear back early this week. It is no longer early this week and I'm currently on a train, so I guess I'll see if they meant that they mail early this week when I get back.
I've yet to receive anything myself...I have a suspicion that we aren't going to wind up getting notice until the end of next week the way things have been going.

Got my scholarship as an attachment via email today. I submitted the essay Monday, so it looks like they've got a pretty fast turnaround as far as review and offers go. In all honesty, I wasn't expecting anything (<-- sounds totally contrived, I know, sorry, I promise I'm sincere) so I'm pretty legitimately stoked. That said, it isn't anywhere near one of those insane 120k deals so I'm not sure how that process goes. No indication if it's from a specific scholarship (like the ones listed on the FinAid site) or just a general fund, but I'll take it! I'd put my deposit down already anyway, but it's certainly a really great bonus.

Congrats! That is a very quick turn-around.

apaint

Bronze

Post by apaint » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Congrats Kay on the scholly!!!!

I think the 120,000 is the gates scholarship, not a 100% sure though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Mr. Le told me to take a hike. Good luck to everyone else.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:22 pm

kayskay wrote:
jppatt16 wrote:
geoduck wrote:

Didn't you get in last year too?

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Letter today from the 3/11 DR date, mailed 3/14 I think.
Big fat waitlist... oh well. Goodluck to everyone else!

charkilah

New

Post by charkilah » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:00 pm

Another waitlist here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TreeHugger20

New

Post by TreeHugger20 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:14 pm

akili wrote:
TreeHugger20 wrote:Dinged. Trying not to be bitter. SU or nothing this round it looks like. DR 3/11; letter sent 3/14. My numbers suck so I shouldn't be surprised, but they took so long that I couldn't stop myself from getting my hopes up. Good luck, guys.
:( was rooting for you.
Thanks! I appreciate all the support I got from everyone here. Just knowing that I'm not the only one in this hell has been nice. Lol I'm going to shoot again next year as a WA resident... Might retake the LSAT too. :cry: I hope you get in, Akili! I'll be rooting for you and the others!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:18 pm

Just got WLed at Michigan and will probably be WLed at Duke this weekend....if I come home to a waitlist/ding from UW, this will officially be the saddest Friday ever.

kayskay

New

Post by kayskay » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:37 pm

akili wrote:
kayskay wrote:

Didn't you get in last year too?
[/quote]

yeah, i explained the financial/moving sitch pretty honestly and requested a deferral, which they granted. aside from releasing acceptances, etc. later than most places uw has been ridiculously helpful across the board so far, so it seems like once you get past the hurdle of actually getting in they'll take good care of you.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah I got mine via email too. It's... Kinda really tiny considering my stats. 15000$... Total. 5k a year is really not impressing me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:49 pm

geoduck wrote:Yeah I got mine via email too. It's... Kinda really tiny considering my stats. 15000$... Total. 5k a year is really not impressing me.
Sorry it's so small, but it IS encouraging that they are actually giving out schollies this year.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:01 pm

akili wrote:
geoduck wrote:Yeah I got mine via email too. It's... Kinda really tiny considering my stats. 15000$... Total. 5k a year is really not impressing me.
Sorry it's so small, but it IS encouraging that they are actually giving out schollies this year.
According to the ABA data, they formerly gave scholarships to 48% of students with a median scholarship of 6k per year. So either they're offering me a below median scholarship or they have lowered the amount of scholarship money while raising tuition. Either way, if they refuse to negotiate then my seat may be available.

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:05 pm

geoduck wrote:
akili wrote:
According to the ABA data, they formerly gave scholarships to 48% of students with a median scholarship of 6k per year. So either they're offering me a below median scholarship or they have lowered the amount of scholarship money while raising tuition. Either way, if they refuse to negotiate then my seat may be available.
the budget cuts in olympia are to blame :)

SMA22

Bronze

Post by SMA22 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:11 pm

WL. Meh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:12 pm

SMA22 wrote:WL. Meh.
:( :( :(

layercake

New

Post by layercake » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:18 pm

SMA22 wrote:WL. Meh.
Sorry to hear that. Why are there way too many WLs? The graph on LSN is full of yellow.

HopefullyLaw

New

Post by HopefullyLaw » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Rejected. Letter says I can reapply after June 1st. I'm guessing that is totally different than a wait list -- meaning Palin has better chances of becoming president than I do in getting admitted to UW.

kalede

Bronze

Post by kalede » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:52 pm

Waitlisted. No surprise there, I guess. I'll be retaking the LSAT again in June to see if I can get a higher score to bump me off of the WL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:55 pm

+1

restless

New

Post by restless » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:02 pm

kalede wrote:Waitlisted. No surprise there, I guess. I'll be retaking the LSAT again in June to see if I can get a higher score to bump me off of the WL.
Sorry to hear about that... you still have an inkling of hope, though. And retaking is definitely a positive strategy. Is UW your first choice? Also, I know your DR date was 03/11, but do you mind sharing your mailing date?

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:41 pm

Waitlisted.

barklm

New

Post by barklm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:45 pm

akili wrote:Waitlisted.
Sorry to hear ... -_-

Seriously? What are you waiting for?