Whittier 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
longhornlaw

Re: Whittier 2011 Applicants

Postby longhornlaw » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:52 pm

Withdrew today. Best of luck to anyone on the WL! Don't know how much my scholly was, because I never called and claimed it, so hopefully that helps some of y'all out too.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:23 pm

MrMisiu wrote:Thanks a lot!
And thanks for that info. It looks like I won't be wasting their time with a phone call. Now... Had I only not wasted that application money :cry:

I applied and didn't mail in the application fee (I wasn't going to pay the $60 and getting a fee waiver was a hassle) and I received my acceptance e-mail and scholly e-mail today.

Hopefully future applicants know not to waste the application fee.

vacations

Postby vacations » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:18 am

Seeing that this is TOP law schools.com and well....seeing that Whittier isn't exactly "TOP notch", I'm still more than willing to share my experiences with Whittier while hoping other TLSers don't bash this thread to death....

TLS helped me a lot when I was applying to schools so I'd definitely like to give back what I can. I'm currently a 1L at Whittier and would be more than happy to share what I know about the school with potential applicants.

Fire away with any questions...

youngblood

Postby youngblood » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:10 pm

Possibly withdrawing. Received a higher scholarship from another local school with much easier stipulations.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 pm

youngblood wrote:Possibly withdrawing. Received a higher scholarship from another local school with much easier stipulations.

La Verne?

Whittier has some ridiculous stipulations and I will be withdrawing shortly as well.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:23 am

On the waitlist at Whittier, and I was accepted to Western State University and Thomas Jefferson.

What are the chances I get off the waitlist at Whittier?

And what school is better..Thomas Jefferson or Whittier?

vacations

Postby vacations » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:41 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:On the waitlist at Whittier, and I was accepted to Western State University and Thomas Jefferson.

I would say your chances of getting off the waitlist are pretty good - I know quite a few current 1L whittier students who got in through waitlist and they were notified in early April I believe. It's still early in terms of the waitlist game, so hang tight and send in that LOCI if you're really interested in the school.

Can't really compare TJSL with Whittier because both schools are extreme regional schools. So if you go to Whittier, expect to only land a job in the Orange County area. Same goes for TJSL - expect only to find a job in the San Diego region. SO I guess it comes down to where you want to live and where you want to launch your career.

Good luck. Shoot over any more questions you may have.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:42 am

How about Southwestern? That is where I really want to go, and that is where most of my family went. Is it a better school than both?

And to be honest, as long as i'm in LA..I'll be happy.

vacations

Postby vacations » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:48 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:How about Southwestern? That is where I really want to go, and that is where most of my family went. Is it a better school than both?

And to be honest, as long as i'm in LA..I'll be happy.

I would say that Southwestern is certainly better than both Whittier and TJSL. In terms of reputation, alumni network and even Tier rank, SW is clearly way above Whittier and TJSL.

Also keep in mind that SW is relatively a regional school as well...so expect to land a job in the LA and Orange County regions only if you come out of SW. Do not expect to be making big $$$ out of SW. That is just the reality of things. SW is situated right smack in the middle of LA competing against Loyola, UCLA, USC and of course all the other big name schools since most students would want to come to LA to launch their career.

How is your LSAT/GPA? If you want SW, I would think you would at least need a 155 to be a mildly decent candidate.

The fact that you had family who went to SW MAY help...but really do not count on it. It all comes down to LSAT score mostly.

Good luck.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:49 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:On the waitlist at Whittier, and I was accepted to Western State University and Thomas Jefferson.

I actually disagree with the poster three above me. I would definitely pick Whittier over TJSL. I think that they have a much better track record of actually preparing people to take and pass the bar, and they have a little bit of a wider (and more gainfully employed) alumni base. Their attrition rate is lower, too, I believe. And while, anecdotally, I've heard about 50/50 negative and positive things about Whittier in the legal field/from attorneys locally (Central California), I've heard pretty much nothing but mediocre to downright bad things about TJSL.

So yeah, SW is better, but if it's between Whittier and TJSL I'd pick Whittier.

Just my two cents...

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:52 am

So

SW
Whittier
TJLS

I also got into Western State Law..they were just accredited recently..any idea of how they are?

vacations

Postby vacations » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:58 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:So

SW
Whittier
TJLS

I also got into Western State Law..they were just accredited recently..any idea of how they are?

Western State is the forgotten child in OC law schools. They've been around forever and yes, their July 2010 bar passage rate is extremely impressive (83% pass rate), however they get overshadowed by the other OC schools IMO...especially with UCI expected to become a powerhouse in the near future.

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:00 am

SW
Whittier
TJLS

I would probably rank them right there with TJSL, personally. Although I believe they're more generous with money and less stringent with stips to keep it, their attrition rate has been high in the past and their name recognition is pretty low. And they have less than impressive facilities. Have you looked at Cal Western? It's better than TJSL and in San Diego, which is a pretty sweet place to live for a few years!

Remember, these are just my opinions, but I've looked at the CA schools pretty closely this cycle, and know a lot of attorneys who have graduated from schools around the states, and even talked to hiring partners at midlaw firms about the different reputations.

vacations

Postby vacations » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:02 am

swilson215 wrote:

SW
Whittier
TJLS

I would probably rank them right there with TJSL, personally. Although I believe they're more generous with money and less stringent with stips to keep it, their attrition rate has been high in the past and their name recognition is pretty low. And they have less than impressive facilities. Have you looked at Cal Western? It's better than TJSL and in San Diego, which is a pretty sweet place to live for a few years!

Remember, these are just my opinions, but I've looked at the CA schools pretty closely this cycle, and know a lot of attorneys who have graduated from schools around the states, and even talked to hiring partners at midlaw firms about the different reputations.

I agree...definitely look into Cal Western and their bar pass rates are pretty solid as of the last couple of years however their attrition is REALLY high. Look into it if you get a chance.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:30 pm

I've already applied there as well, i'm in committee review, my app has been there since january 26.

acmass

Postby acmass » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:34 pm

3/3 - Submitted
3/4 - Complete
3/14 - ADMITTED!! SO excited!!!

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:32 pm

Tried negotiating my aid award to either relax or remove the stipulations, but unfortunately it's a no go. I posted the email I got back from Whittier (it was kind of strange) on my blog...link is in my profile.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:08 am

How can I get into Whittier when I'm on the waitlist? What should my next move be?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:15 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:How can I get into Whittier when I'm on the waitlist? What should my next move be?

have you sent a LOCI? I would start with that. Then maybe take a trip out there and meet with the Dean or Assistant Dean of Admission for a little personal contact.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:23 am

My cousins colleague is good friends with the dean. And what is an LOCI, I've heard it a lot but never figured out what it was. I will be visiting them on March 31st.

vacations

Postby vacations » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:28 am

Oblivion_08 wrote:My cousins colleague is good friends with the dean. And what is an LOCI, I've heard it a lot but never figured out what it was. I will be visiting them on March 31st.

LOCI = Letter of Continued Interest.

In this letter, talk about how and why would be a good fit at Whittier. Essentially, you're trying to convince the school that you're perfect for Whittier. To accomplish this, show them what you know about the school - therefore, you're going to have to do some research. You can talk about specific programs/fellowships which attract you and discuss how you plan to benefit from such programs.

Quite frankly, you're sucking up without sounding too desperate.

Glad to hear you're visiting the school. WHen you're here, try to strike up a conversation with the Dean of Admissions and make a good impression. This way, you can talk about your visit to the school in your LOCI and once he reads it, he'll recall who you are and will see you're dead serious about coming to Whittier. All this of course benefits you as a WL applicant.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:54 pm

I e-mailed my LOCI and I am going to visit on April 5th. I have to make a deposit to either Western State or Thomas Jefferson, because I am on the wait-list at both SW and Whittier.

Which one would you guys go to? TJ or WS?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:I e-mailed my LOCI and I am going to visit on April 5th. I have to make a deposit to either Western State or Thomas Jefferson, because I am on the wait-list at both SW and Whittier.

Which one would you guys go to? TJ or WS?

Honestly? If waiting it out or retaking isn't an option (and I am NOT a huge fan of the people who say that on these boards), I would say Western State. But only because it's cheaper to live in Fullerton than in San Diego.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Perfect. Now apparently there are 200 people on the waitlist. Do you think I have a good chance?

swilson215

Postby swilson215 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Perfect. Now apparently there are 200 people on the waitlist. Do you think I have a good chance?

I think a lot of people who were admitted probably applied to Whittier as a safety school, so I would imagine they'll pull quite a few people off of the WL. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! (Odds are I'll be withdrawing after this weekend, they just gave me such a generous scholarship it's hard for me to shut that door).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”