Villanova 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stayway

Re: Villanova 2011

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:37 pm

irishvt14 wrote:I guess I figured it would be expensive. I live in/went to undergrad in Vermont where rent never exceeds $700 (and that's a really nice apartment).

But IMO, living close to the school is a huge plus during your 1L year.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 pm

irishvt14 wrote:I guess I figured it would be expensive. I live in/went to undergrad in Vermont where rent never exceeds $700 (and that's a really nice apartment).

I'd highly recommend Havertown for someone seeking to minimize costs. The backroads get you to Villanova in 5-10 minutes and the rent is probably 500-600$ for a nice single. There's a strong possibility of me moving there for next year if I don't a) get a house with some people or b) live at home.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:21 pm

What was the students' response to the scandal?

How do you deal with the questions I'm sure you get from outsiders?

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:40 pm

kk19131 wrote:What was the students' response to the scandal?

How do you deal with the questions I'm sure you get from outsiders?

From the interviewers they didn't really care much. (Philly firms; Fox Rothschild, Dilworth Paxson, State Farm In-house, Dechert).

As for students, some were disappointed and are thinking transferring. For me, I'm not sure.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Does anyone have any idea when we are going to hear back as far as financial aid is concerned....

Onion

Postby Onion » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 am

nillumin wrote:Does anyone have any idea when we are going to hear back as far as financial aid is concerned....

Standard law school answer... it depends. Depends when the committee meets, and your scores. If you are concerned, I would suggest sending an email or calling and letting them know you cannot make a decision without this information. It may give them more incentive to speed up your process.

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:15 pm

rs2004 wrote:my reconsideration email worked. went from $0 to $20,000 dean's merit scholarship, renewable each year with a 3.2 gpa stipulation.

How long did it take for them to respond to your negotiation letter?

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:38 pm

ladybuglove wrote:
rs2004 wrote:my reconsideration email worked. went from $0 to $20,000 dean's merit scholarship, renewable each year with a 3.2 gpa stipulation.

How long did it take for them to respond to your negotiation letter?

I sent it on March 10 (Thurs) and got a response March 14 (Mon).

Bless

Postby Bless » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm sitting in the airport waiting to fly back to Florida from Philly. Villanova is a fantastic school. What a TERRIFIC environment. Temple and Villanova are both excellent in their own ways (both are completely different), but Villanova's sense of community is superior to Temple's. It's a very welcoming, family-like environment. The class I sat in on was awesome.

Two people personally reached out to me that go to the school and met up with me to help give me a tour and discuss the school. A few others reached out to me on TLS, and many reached out while I was on the campus.

Big shout out to mikeyp for taking time out after class to have lunch with me. Villanova is a great school. I have a difficult decision to make... I'm just hoping 'Nova can offer me some money. If anyone wants details on my visit, PM me.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:50 pm

WHERE.........THE........FUCK........IS......MY........SCHOLARSHIP.

I called the school today at 1:30 was told someone would call me back and talk to me. Never got a call back.

What is it Villanova? Is it the drop in rankings to #80-shit that is holding you up? The scandal? or the fact that I have a high LSAT and actually want to attend your school? Jesus.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:53 pm

Bless wrote:I'm sitting in the airport waiting to fly back to Florida from Philly. Villanova is a fantastic school. What a TERRIFIC environment. Temple and Villanova are both excellent in their own ways (both are completely different), but Villanova's sense of community is superior to Temple's. It's a very welcoming, family-like environment. The class I sat in on was awesome.

Two people personally reached out to me that go to the school and met up with me to help give me a tour and discuss the school. A few others reached out to me on TLS, and many reached out while I was on the campus.

Big shout out to mikeyp for taking time out after class to have lunch with me. Villanova is a great school. I have a difficult decision to make... I'm just hoping 'Nova can offer me some money. If anyone wants details on my visit, PM me.

What class, just out of curiosity?

Bless

Postby Bless » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:55 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Bless wrote:I'm sitting in the airport waiting to fly back to Florida from Philly. Villanova is a fantastic school. What a TERRIFIC environment. Temple and Villanova are both excellent in their own ways (both are completely different), but Villanova's sense of community is superior to Temple's. It's a very welcoming, family-like environment. The class I sat in on was awesome.

Mikeyp knows. It was a total coincidence that it was his class; he and I had been exchanging e-mails last week and spoke on the phone when I first arrived.

They were discussing hearsay. The professor was pretty funny. She had the class laughing quite a few times. She made the class feel like a very fun, laid back environment.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:02 pm

SrLaw wrote:WHERE.........THE........FUCK........IS......MY........SCHOLARSHIP.

I called the school today at 1:30 was told someone would call me back and talk to me. Never got a call back.

What is it Villanova? Is it the drop in rankings to #80-shit that is holding you up? The scandal? or the fact that I have a high LSAT and actually want to attend your school? Jesus.

i got my scholarship reconsideration offer from the office of student records and registrar, not from the villanova financial aid office. so that may explain the lag, some miscommunication between offices.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:13 pm

SrLaw wrote:WHERE.........THE........FUCK........IS......MY........SCHOLARSHIP.

+1, probably not as good of an LSAT score as you BUT I'm still getting antsy here. Everything with this school is taking way too long and I am not putting out $350 for a weekend visit if I'm not getting any dough.

langdonbadger

Postby langdonbadger » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:29 pm

I feel like their admissions might be understaffed after they canned 3 people for fudging numbers.

Lawlskool

Postby Lawlskool » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:32 pm

People need to chill out on the bitching about scholarship notification and in review time etc. I get you're invested in the process, but waiting is the game. It's the nature of the beast and you aren't alone. Quit bitching and go occupy yourselves!

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:01 pm

edit. already answered

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:30 am

Bless wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Mikeyp knows. It was a total coincidence that it was his class; he and I had been exchanging e-mails last week and spoke on the phone when I first arrived.

They were discussing hearsay. The professor was pretty funny. She had the class laughing quite a few times. She made the class feel like a very fun, laid back environment.

evidence. good meeting you today!

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:36 am

langdonbadger wrote:I feel like their admissions might be understaffed after they canned 3 people for fudging numbers.

that's a good point.

alright so what are your predictions on Nova's performance in the tournament? I say out second round to Ohio St. really unfortunate because I feel connected to the school now but I just can't make sense of picking them to go further than that :(

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:31 am

irishvt14 wrote:
langdonbadger wrote:I feel like their admissions might be understaffed after they canned 3 people for fudging numbers.

that's a good point.

alright so what are your predictions on Nova's performance in the tournament? I say out second round to Ohio St. really unfortunate because I feel connected to the school now but I just can't make sense of picking them to go further than that :(

haha really? I think you give Nova alot of credit. I got them losing to GMU in the first round. (Sorry my alma mater is UVa; so VA teams FTW!)

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:44 am

Soxfreak March 8, 2011 9:28 pm there is no way this team should get a bid , they are pathetic

^a post about Nova on CBS Sports...I lol'd. You may be right about GMU but I still think Nova could find their stride. I'm a Duke fan anyway

stayway

Postby stayway » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:32 pm

irishvt14 wrote: I'm a Duke fan anyway

So, I'm guessing you are extremely excited that Kyrie Irving might come back? FYI, I got Duke losing to OSU in the Final Four.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:35 pm

beach_terror wrote:
ran12 wrote:Nova to 84

Yeah, but doesn't reflect jack shit in reality. Still lame though.

It sucks to drop 19 spots in rank, but the US News points system is so closely clustered below the top 40 or so that a 2 point decrease in LSAT median will cause huge swings in rankings. This will not change the fact that Villanova's NLJ 250 placement is on par with (if not the teensiest bit ahead of) Temple's.

If you want to work in Philly and you are debt averse/can't get into Penn, TCR is choosing the cheaper option between Villanova, Temple, and Rutgers. Good luck, everybody.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:38 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
ran12 wrote:Nova to 84

Yeah, but doesn't reflect jack shit in reality. Still lame though.

It sucks to drop 19 spots in rank, but the US News points system is so closely clustered below the top 40 or so that a 2 point decrease in LSAT median will cause huge swings in rankings.

If you want to work in Philly and you are debt averse/can't get into Penn, TCR is the cheaper option between Villanova, Temple, and Rutgers.

There's actually a significant difference between Rutgers and Temple/Nova. Nova typically places double the students into biglaw as Rutgers (if you want to use that as a benchmark). Rutgers students do clerkships out the ass, but AFAIK they aren't a bunch of Art. III, which would be the only fair comparison. Hearing stories about their OCI confirms this, with many big philly firms not even showing up.

Penn > Nova/Temple -> Rutgers-Camden -> Widener/Drexel (probably edge to Widener depending on the job) for Philadelphia/Wilmington.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:39 pm

beach_terror wrote:There's actually a significant difference between Rutgers and Temple/Nova. Nova typically places double the students into biglaw as Rutgers (if you want to use that as a benchmark). Rutgers students do clerkships out the ass, but AFAIK they aren't a bunch of Art. III, which would be the only fair comparison. Hearing stories about their OCI confirms this, with many big philly firms not even showing up.

Penn > Nova/Temple -> Rutgers-Camden -> Widener/Drexel (probably edge to Widener depending on the job) for Philadelphia/Wilmington.

I said if you are debt-averse. If your choices are Villanova, Temple OOS, and Rutgers in-state (all at sticker) Rutgers is the smartest financial decision.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”