Villanova 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jdhakert

Re: Villanova 2011

Postby jdhakert » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 am

kk19131 wrote:I'm still a fan of Nova.

Full tuition is hard to pass up! :D

I thought you were team Pitt?

irishvt14 wrote:Go to a school that has a good program for what you want to do. And avoid debt if possible. Outside of the T-14 and maybe the top 25 (this has been said a thousand times before me) rankings are meaningless.

Welllll... Now that they are ranking the top 150 or so schools do you still believe that number 26 or even 84 is gonna be looked at the same as #130 who was a TTT for as long as people can remember? And, are you a 0L?

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:30 am

jdhakert wrote:

irishvt14 wrote:Go to a school that has a good program for what you want to do. And avoid debt if possible. Outside of the T-14 and maybe the top 25 (this has been said a thousand times before me) rankings are meaningless.

Welllll... Now that they are ranking the top 150 or so schools do you still believe that number 26 or even 84 is gonna be looked at the same as #130 who was a TTT for as long as people can remember? And, are you a 0L?

For what it's worth I think it's extremely dorky if nothing else to take the rankings seriously and meticulously go through them with a fine tooth comb. People our age (21-40 or so) have more important social activities we can be doing. I was only half serious

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:34 am

jdhakert wrote:
jdhakert wrote:

For what it's worth I think it's extremely dorky if nothing else to take the rankings seriously and meticulously go through them with a fine tooth comb. People our age (21-40 or so) have more important social activities we can be doing. I was only half serious

Yes, I am 0L. I am not taking the rankings seriously either, that's my point. Michigan moving above Berkeley is a big deal (for Berkeley), but Villanova? Meaningless. Someone else said it too. U.S. News is so inconsistent. Who cares. I have zero desire to go into big law. I want to go to a school where I will be happy and meet some other driven people who are actually fun and not trying to slit my throat. I couldn't care less about the rankings, but it does matter to some people.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:09 pm

irishvt14 wrote:I have zero desire to go into big law. I want to go to a school where I will be happy and meet some other driven people who are actually fun and not trying to slit my throat. I couldn't care less about the rankings, but it does matter to some people.

Have fun paying off your debt

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:56 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
irishvt14 wrote:I have zero desire to go into big law. I want to go to a school where I will be happy and meet some other driven people who are actually fun and not trying to slit my throat. I couldn't care less about the rankings, but it does matter to some people.

Debt from a T2 is more than manageable if you're somewhat intelligent, and it's definitely not your place to weigh in on other people's decisions or career objectives.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:02 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

Debt from a T2 is more than manageable if you're somewhat intelligent, and it's definitely not your place to weigh in on other people's decisions or career objectives.

umad?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:04 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

umad?

No, but it's fucking dumb to spread misinformation to rising 1Ls.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:05 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

umad?

I think you are just being a jerk and trying to put others down

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:09 pm

I don't mean to be a jerk (because i know this debate is partially my fault for stirring the pot), but i don't think we should weigh this thread down with general arguments about tiers, debt, etc. We all know the deal. So let's keep it open for people with concerns about VLS :)

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:No, but it's fucking dumb to spread misinformation to rising 1Ls.

You take the Internet way too seriously at times.

red_alertz wrote:I think you are just being a jerk and trying to put others down

I don't mean to be a jerk and am not "trying to put others down." If you see my previous posts on this thread, I try to be helpful too.

Can we relax?

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:30 pm

I'm not offended or mad, but is your "have fun paying off your debt" in reference to me not wanting big law? Because that's a silly thing to say. That's not everyone's goal.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:34 pm

irishvt14 wrote:I'm not offended or mad, but is your "have fun paying off your debt" in reference to me not wanting big law? Because that's a silly thing to say. That's not everyone's goal.

Well, since everyone wants to be serious here I apologize Irish.

Yes, you are right. I was being SILLY.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:37 pm

don't hate on my use of the word silly. I could have said that's a stupid fucking thing to say but I didn't want to curse. And I forgive you for hating on my career goals :)

Here, I'll add a smiley face so you know I am not being a bitch.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:47 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
irishvt14 wrote:I'm not offended or mad, but is your "have fun paying off your debt" in reference to me not wanting big law? Because that's a silly thing to say. That's not everyone's goal.

Well, since everyone wants to be serious here I apologize Irish.

Yes, you are right. I was being SILLY.

awww, don't mind them, they are just whiteknighting

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:58 pm

nooyyllib wrote:

Please point out the logical connection between the above and:

nooyyllib wrote:Yes, you are right. I was being SILLY.

Which would lead to a majority interpretation of objective humor. If you can do that, then I'll admit to misinterpretation and apologize.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:10 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

Please point out the logical connection between the above and:

nooyyllib wrote:Yes, you are right. I was being SILLY.

Which would lead to a majority interpretation of objective humor. If you can do that, then I'll admit to misinterpretation and apologize.

Obviously, its impossible to make a logical connection between the two posts you point to. There is no way IMO that you can transfer the tone and other subtle intentions when typing on an online forum. If you look at my previous posts on this thread (e.g. regarding the presence of diverse students at VLS), this "have fun paying off your debt" reply was OBVIOUSLY me "trolling" and being "silly."

You know Beach, you don't have to take TLS super seriously.

P.S. I suggest we stop this debate like Mikeyp says

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Yeah, new topic. Does anyone have advice on where to live? I checked the law school website and they have a list of neighborhoods, but I don't know anything about Philly. Someone earlier in the thread said King of Prussia is okay, but where do most law students live?

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

irishvt14 wrote:Yeah, new topic. Does anyone have advice on where to live? I checked the law school website and they have a list of neighborhoods, but I don't know anything about Philly. Someone earlier in the thread said King of Prussia is okay, but where do most law students live?

If you want to live close to the school, I suggest Rosemont Plaza and Radnor House. Otherwise, I hear Manayunk and Old City in Philly are great places too.

I currently live at Rosemont Plaza; a single bedroom with all of the utilities included except the Internet costs me $1015/month. I pay extra $50 to park in an assign spot in the garage and it was awesome during the snow storms. And the apartment is super quiet because majority of the tenants are grandma/grandpas. The staff is extremely friendly as well.

Radnor single bedroom apartments can be slightly cheaper but it doesn't include all the utilities. But my friends who live there like it a lot.

Both places are close to the Mainline Bars and the Rosemont train station (to go to Center City).

Hope this helps.

P.S. I recommend you live in a single your 1L year and not risk getting a weirdo as a roommate.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:21 pm

nooyyllib wrote:You know Beach, you don't have to take TLS super seriously.

While this is true, the fact that I've already received 3 PMs from prospective VLS 1Ls thanking me for calling you out on your post is pretty telling. I don't take TLS seriously most of the time, but when dealing with prospective students I try to... especially with the new difficulties posed in recruiting a well qualified 1L class this year. Believe it or not, the 1Ls and 2Ls that troll these forums from VLS are the most exposure prospective 1Ls are going to get in regard to the nature of the current student body, homes. I'm honestly not even trying to be a dickhead. /ranting

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:29 pm

beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:You know Beach, you don't have to take TLS super seriously.

While this is true, the fact that I've already received 3 PMs from prospective VLS 1Ls thanking me for calling you out on your post is pretty telling. I don't take TLS seriously most of the time, but when dealing with prospective students I try to... especially with the new difficulties posed in recruiting a well qualified 1L class this year. Believe it or not, the 1Ls and 2Ls that troll these forums from VLS are the most exposure prospective 1Ls are going to get in regard to the nature of the current student body, homes. /ranting

While I agree with you Beach, I don't know if a reasonable prospective student would take what is said on TLS 100% seriously. I'm sure they all take it with a grain of salt and filter out "trolling" replies (I hope).

mikeyp

Postby mikeyp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:30 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
irishvt14 wrote:Yeah, new topic. Does anyone have advice on where to live? I checked the law school website and they have a list of neighborhoods, but I don't know anything about Philly. Someone earlier in the thread said King of Prussia is okay, but where do most law students live?

If you want to live close to the school, I suggest Rosemont Plaza and Radnor House. Otherwise, I hear Manayunk and Old City in Philly are great places too.

I currently live at Rosemont Plaza; a single bedroom with all of the utilities included except the Internet costs me $1015/month. I pay extra $50 to park in an assign spot in the garage and it was awesome during the snow storms. And the apartment is super quiet because majority of the tenants are grandma/grandpas. The staff is extremely friendly as well.

Radnor single bedroom apartments can be slightly cheaper but it doesn't include all the utilities. But my friends who live there like it a lot.

Both places are close to the Mainline Bars and the Rosemont train station (to go to Center City).

Hope this helps.

P.S. I recommend you live in a single your 1L year and not risk getting a weirdo as a roommate.

also Radnor Crossing, which is in St. David.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:31 pm

nooyyllib wrote:

Hope this helps.

$1015/month!? That is painful.

kopper

Postby kopper » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:33 pm

nooyyllib wrote:

Hope this helps.

I'll throw in Consohocken which is young and active with lots to do and may be more affordable than the Mainline. It is similar to Manayunk but I like it better than Manayunk and closer to VLS. However, the challenge is that there is only one bridge across the Schuylkill river to the west side which is where you need to go to get to VLS from Conshy and can be a challenge in the morning rush hour. However, still a great place to live if you want something other than the mainline which is closer to VLS but expensive. Probably the same distance from VLS as King of Prussia but a better place to live with more to do but may be a more difficult commute b/c of the one bridge thing. Regardless, you will likely spend a good deal of time at the bars/restaraunts in Conshy wherever you live if you attend VLS.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:34 pm

irishvt14 wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:

Hope this helps.

$1015/month!? That is painful.

Edit: Kopper beat me to it.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:36 pm

I guess I figured it would be expensive. I live in/went to undergrad in Vermont where rent never exceeds $700 (and that's a really nice apartment).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”