Villanova 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rs2004

Re: Villanova 2011

Postby rs2004 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:56 pm

anyone else get an email from a villanova law student today?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:58 pm

rs2004 wrote:anyone else get an email from a villanova law student today?

Just FYI, the administration recruited a bunch of current students to help recruit 1Ls (obviously help alleviate fears from the scandal). Listen to what they have to say but take it with a grain of salt. There are bound to be a bunch of overzealous 1Ls below median that think things are a-okay.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:10 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Just FYI, the administration recruited a bunch of current students to help recruit 1Ls (obviously help alleviate fears from the scandal). Listen to what they have to say but take it with a grain of salt. There are bound to be a bunch of overzealous 1Ls below median that think things are a-okay.

the student was very polite in the email, 2L on the trial team, and open for questions if i had any and encouraging a visit to the school, which i'll do anyway since i'm getting back from pitt's asw. setting the villanova scandal aside, i think it was a nice gesture.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:21 pm

rs2004 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

the student was very polite in the email, 2L on the trial team, and open for questions if i had any and encouraging a visit to the school, which i'll do anyway since i'm getting back from pitt's asw. setting the villanova scandal aside, i think it was a nice gesture.

Totally agree, just meant to give a heads up on the rationale behind the outreach to anyone who gets the emails. I support the effort but when I heard about it I was kind of weary about misinformation as they wanted 1L help (and as a 1L, we don't know jack shit about anything at this point really).

langdonbadger

Postby langdonbadger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 am

I got a really nice one from a 2L. There was clearly some propaganda in it, but there was also a nice personal element included. I think helped more though to find that, after doing some brief internet stalking, he had a pretty slick resume for a 2L.

kk19131

Postby kk19131 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:42 am

I didn't get any email.

:(

Bless

Postby Bless » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:55 am

kk19131 wrote:I didn't get any email.

Likewise.

langdonbadger

Postby langdonbadger » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:12 am

Bless wrote:

Likewise.

I wouldn't worry about it. I got mine way after the first group who got them, and I'm guessing the students are writing them at their leisure; hence, the personal elements. Mine was from an alum from my undergrad institution.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:35 am

langdonbadger wrote:
Bless wrote:

Likewise.

I wouldn't worry about it. I got mine way after the first group who got them, and I'm guessing the students are writing them at their leisure; hence, the personal elements. Mine was from an alum from my undergrad institution.

i want to ask about the 2L's perspective on the aba number fudge and job prospects but want to phrase it diplomatically without sounding inquisitive.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 am

beach_terror wrote:
rs2004 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Totally agree, just meant to give a heads up on the rationale behind the outreach to anyone who gets the emails. I support the effort but when I heard about it I was kind of weary about misinformation as they wanted 1L help (and as a 1L, we don't know jack shit about anything at this point really).

All of the students contacting propsective students are either 2Ls, 3Ls or alums.
Last edited by CChuff on Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:43 am

rs2004 wrote:
langdonbadger wrote:
Bless wrote:

Likewise.

i want to ask about the 2L's perspective on the aba number fudge and job prospects but want to phrase it diplomatically without sounding inquisitive.

I am a 2L at VLS and would be happy to discuss my perspective on the median LSAT and GPA misstatement and job prospects.

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:45 am

please share your thoughts, cchuff.

ssacalis

Postby ssacalis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:01 am

Prospective Nova Law students,

I'm a 2L here also. I'd be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Law school has been a great choice for me and Villanova a good fit. Hopefully I can help.

Bless

Postby Bless » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 am

I'm interested in hearing about the student life. I haven't read anything on this topic, so I'm completely in the dark. I'd love to be filled in. Please feel free to PM me if need be.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:15 am

rs2004 wrote:please share your thoughts, cchuff.

I think that the act of misstating median LSATs and GPA is unethical, unfair, and embarassing to our law school. But, the misstatements must be considered in the proper perspective and the effects of the misstatement must not be overstated.

The misstatements were produced by administration that is no longer at the school and under the control of our former Dean, Dean Seargent. When Dean John Gotanda took over, the numbers were reported accurately to the ABA. These accurate number were reported before the current administration discovered the prior misstatements. Additionally, the mistatements were discovered by Villanova faculty/staff and had the potential to be covered up (which would have been the wrong thing to do). However, when Dean Gotanda became aware, he immediately reported the information to the ABA and issued a public statement. This tends to show my first point: that our current administration is a strong and ethical group that will ensure Villanova maintains the highest ethical standards while they are in control here.

Second, the effects of these misstatements are being overstated. Will we see a decrease in our U.S. rankings? Possibly, but if we do it will be due to the drop in our Median LSAT from a reported 162 (which was incorporated into our current ranking) to 160. Not because our former Dean and a few administrative officials under his control were not completely moral individuals.

Third, this will NOT have a significant (if any) effect on hiring at Villanova. Philadelphia, Delaware, New Jersey markets are very insular and maintain loyalty to Philadelphia schools. Misstatements by a prior Dean will not deter that loyalty. Furthermore, Employers hire at schools because they like the type of attorney that school produces, not because of their incoming GPA and LSAT. Also, Villanova Professors, Deans, and alumni have really came together in light of this scandal to ensure Villanova students get hired. Therefore, I do not believe that VLS will be adversely affected by this incident, especially with hiring. I think that we will remiain in the top tier for Big Law placement as well.

I would also be willing to discuss my personal experience on job prospects. If you are intersted, PM me.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:19 am

Bless wrote:I'm interested in hearing about the student life. I haven't read anything on this topic, so I'm completely in the dark. I'd love to be filled in. Please feel free to PM me if need be.

By student life, are you primarily referring to the night life? Or are you also interested in intramural activities, school groups etc.?

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:23 am

Bless wrote:I'm interested in hearing about the student life. I haven't read anything on this topic, so I'm completely in the dark. I'd love to be filled in. Please feel free to PM me if need be.

+1

I am interested in all aspects of student life. What kinds of activities are available to students? What is the night life like? What is the student body like?

Bless

Postby Bless » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 am

CChuff wrote:

By student life, are you primarily referring to the night life? Or are you also interested in intramural activities, school groups etc.?

Well, both really.

For example, I know that FSU law coordinates socials within the law school and also with other graduate programs. I'm curious to hear if there is anything like that at Villanova. What kinds of activities can I expect to undergo while attending 'Nova? What are the students like? If I'm trying to get out for a night, are there particular spots that come to mind?

Ha, I haven't attended ASD yet. Nonetheless, I feel like some of these questions will go unanswered.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:30 am

Bless wrote:
CChuff wrote:

Well, both really.

For example, I know that FSU law coordinates socials within the law school and also with other graduate programs. I'm curious to hear if there is anything like that at Villanova. What kinds of activities can I expect to undergo while attending 'Nova? What are the students like? If I'm trying to get out for a night, are there particular spots that come to mind?

Ha, I haven't attended ASD yet. Nonetheless, I feel like some of these questions will go unanswered.

There are a handful of bars we all frequent (and get thrown out of if you're me) that are within a few miles of the school.

There aren't a lot of "social activities" planned here, outside of Red Mass, Barristers Ball (which is like lawl skool prom, but I was too cool to go) and then random public interest events like PIFP Pong, which is beer pong in the basement of the school with the teachers.

After 2 months into 1L you won't have a social life anyway, just as a heads up.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:38 am

irishvt14 wrote:

+1

I am interested in all aspects of student life. What kinds of activities are available to students? What is the night life like? What is the student body like?

Night life in the immediate proximity of Villanova is decent. The bars are all midsize, college-type bars. We all have a great time when we go, but the places are nothing special. About 15 minutes away there is a small town called Manayunk which has alot of great places to drink/eat. Also, Philadelphia which is about a 20-25 minute drive from Villanova is an awesome time (be ready to spend though).

As far as student activities VLS does a really good job. Each year there is "Red Mass" which is essentially a law school party that starts in the commons of the school and then proceeds to a local bar called brownies. There is also Barrister's Ball, which is a formal event that takes place in Philadelphia for the entire law school. Villanova also hosts, about 6-8 informal get togethers in the school cafeteria where they get beer, food, sometimes beer pong.

If you are on a journal or Moot Court, there is many more events that students partake in. Examples include the annual softball, bowling, and flag football tournaments between the journal's and moot court.

There is also many non-journal intramural sports that students participate in. (flag football and baseketball etc.).

Additionally, there is many student groups that you can join: Corporate Law Society, Public Interest Club, etc.

That is sort of a generic answer and is very under inclusive, but includes some of the activities that VLS offers.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 am

When will I get my scholarship? I was accepted a few days back. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Eagles_Legendz

Postby Eagles_Legendz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:49 am

SrLaw wrote:When will I get my scholarship? I was accepted a few days back. Any info is greatly appreciated.

From what I read it seems hard to pinpoint. Some people received it within a day of their acceptance letter. For others, they didn't receive any money until about 2 - 3 weeks after being accepted.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:51 am

[quote="Bless"] What are the students like? [quote]

When I was coming to VLS is expected to meet a bunch of stuck-up, nerdy people. Haha. Needless to say I was pleaseantly surprised, everyone here is normal, sociable. Its tough to classify an entire student body, but I went to Penn State and besides the size of the student body, the people here are fairly similar.

ssacalis

Postby ssacalis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:01 am

I received a scholarship to Nova and I remember being accepted in December and getting the scholarship letter about a month later. I think at this point it is a safe bet to assume that you won't get a letter about a scholarship for a few weeks after your acceptance and maybe leave a few extra because of recent changes in the setup of the administration. But if you need to know to make a choice on your law school future I wouldn't hesitate to call admissions. I did several times (mostly to pester for more money haha).

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:05 am

ssacalis wrote:I received a scholarship to Nova and I remember being accepted in December and getting the scholarship letter about a month later. I think at this point it is a safe bet to assume that you won't get a letter about a scholarship for a few weeks after your acceptance and maybe leave a few extra because of recent changes in the setup of the administration. But if you need to know to make a choice on your law school future I wouldn't hesitate to call admissions. I did several times (mostly to pester for more money haha).

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”