Villanova 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stayway

Re: Villanova 2011

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 pm

CChuff wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
voltage88 wrote:+1

Which means a lot of people were cheated out of scholarship money...shame on you VLS...I hope all VLS students are enraged by this...

We are. I'm just praying this doesn't affect my OCI interviews this week.

Yes, the irrational students are outraged. The rational ones, not so much.

I thought all law students were all irrational?

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:37 pm

voltage88 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Which means a lot of people were cheated out of scholarship money...shame on you VLS...I hope all VLS students are enraged by this...

We are. I'm just praying this doesn't affect my OCI interviews this week. Sorry to keep this going in here, but I figure all the prospective (read: former prospective) applicants are interested to see what's going on from the inside.

ugh, Villanova was one of my top choices. It's disheartening to hear current students saying they would re-think VLS if they were applying this cycle...at least there's Temple still? hoot hoot :cry:

I am a current student and could have went to Maryland, George Mason, Temple, Wake Forest, and would NOT reconsider my decision. It is really a great place to go to law school and has a lot to offer.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:39 pm

CChuff wrote:could have went to Maryland, George Mason, Temple, Wake Forest, and would NOT reconsider my decision.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:40 pm

beach_terror wrote:
CChuff wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Yes, the irrational students are outraged. The rational ones, not so much.

So the entire 3L class who this will hurt the most, a good portion of the 2L class, and the 1L class who would have went elsewhere to avoid the possible risk this will have on our employment are irrational. You sir, are a fucking moron. Get back to your faulty scholarship statistic calculations; the Villanova admissions department needs more people who suck at math.

How are you hurt by this? I am in the 2L class and have not been hurt by this at all.
Last edited by CChuff on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 pm

seespotrun wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Eh, no, it doesn't mean that. If VLS has $1 million to hand out every year, they are going to offer that money to the top students regardless of the reported medians. The only thing that current students were "cheated out of" is the opportunity to accurately assess whether or not they wanted to pay the $ that they do to attend VLS with the admissions statistics as they stand--that is, assess the opportunity cost of attending VLS at X amount of dollars versus some other school at X amount of dollars.

You have to take into account the high quality applicants that would forego applying/attending Villanova for a higher ranked school in light of the school a) lying and b) not being as prestigious as previously thought. This would presumably free up scholarship awards for those that fall in between the misreported and accurate medians. Yield Protect would also kick in for some awards as well. I'm not saying 3.4/161 is getting a full ride, but they'd definitely get some money. 3 LSAT points is pretty significant for this, no?

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:42 pm

jdhakert wrote:
CChuff wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:This whole "more scholarship money" argument is seriously flawed. Your standing is NO different relative to the remainder of you class mates. You received the amount of money you received because of you incoming standing relative to other student NOT the median. Simply because the median LSAT is lower than previously thought does not mean that you somehow rose in the rankings of incoming students. So please stop griping.

This is hilarious. Do you not understand that regardless of where a student stood in comparison to his or her peers that he or she is also being sought after by other schools? Therefore, a school who should be lower ranked because they fudged data would feel compelled to dish out more money to that student, to give incentive for him to commit to that school. I don't go to villanova, I'm just saying you're missing the bigger picture tough guy

Living in a world of bottomless wallets

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:45 pm

Bottom line, this ttt school is gonna drop. Obv the school looks sh'ttier to firms than it did before.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:46 pm

beach_terror wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

Eh, no, it doesn't mean that. If VLS has $1 million to hand out every year, they are going to offer that money to the top students regardless of the reported medians. The only thing that current students were "cheated out of" is the opportunity to accurately assess whether or not they wanted to pay the $ that they do to attend VLS with the admissions statistics as they stand--that is, assess the opportunity cost of attending VLS at X amount of dollars versus some other school at X amount of dollars.

You have to take into account the high quality applicants that would forego applying/attending Villanova for a higher ranked school in light of the school a) lying and b) not being as prestigious as previously thought. This would presumably free up scholarship awards for those that fall in between the misreported and accurate medians. Yield Protect would also kick in for some awards as well. I'm not saying 3.4/161 is getting a full ride, but they'd definitely get some money. 3 LSAT points is pretty significant for this, no?

He said current students. We're current students. Whether or not applicants are deterred now from applying or from applying next year does not affect any scholarship awards that could have been awarded to either of us.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:47 pm

In light of the recent scandal, if anyone goes to Nova, they better be getting a significant chunk of money or have a special connection to the school (things like legacy). Nova's got too much dirty laundry the past few years and even if firms say they won't stop recruiting, there's no reason to believe that.

Anyway, due to all the stuff that's happened lately, why would anyone go to Nova when peer and better schools are offering more money to people.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 pm

CChuff wrote:How are you hurt by this? I am in the 2L class and have not been hurt by this at all. I am very impressed at your language. I can't imagine why you don't have a job.

I'm a 1L. I thought you were one as well, so my mistake. My teacher, who is also an administrator, said that the 3L and 2Ls will feel the most of the "fallout" from all this - whatever that ends up being. It could be a lot, it could be a little, it could be close to nothing at all. However, as you said, everyone is the most upset right now. The professor in charge of informing the students of all of this said the 3Ls were about to chew her head off. I'm not trying to make this into being a huge thing, but there is going to be some tangible effect at the end of this. I love the school so far, but I have to say all the 1Ls feel pretty cheated right now.

When this all happened, I didn't think it would effect anything that much. But the administration seems extremely stressed and put off right now.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 pm

jeremysen wrote:Bottom line, this ttt school is gonna drop. Obv the school looks sh'ttier to firms than it did before.

I'll say one thing as a current 1L. VLS does offer opportunities to colored kids.

e.g. Pepper Hamilton which is a biglaw firm has an exclusive program with VLS called Pepper Pathways Program which takes 2 diverse 1Ls for their 1L SA gig (this is PAID). Also, there is Philadelphia Diversity Law Group which a whole bunch of biglaw firms participate to take 1Ls and PAY them for their SA gig (eventually leading to job offers).

So it's not all that bleak here.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:49 pm

jeremysen wrote:Bottom line, this ttt school is gonna drop. Obv the school looks sh'ttier to firms than it did before.

Listen, first, I do not get where anyone gets off childly calling Villanova TTT. I am very happy of the decision I made, the building is great, the faculty is great, and job prospects for at least the top 25% are promising (as far as big law goes). I think it is unfortunate that many people overract and overrstate the resulting effects of the misstatements. Bottome line is that Villanova is a great place to go to law school and has helped me achieve everything that I set out to achieve.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:51 pm

seespotrun wrote:
He said current students. We're current students. Whether or not applicants are deterred now from applying or from applying next year does not affect any scholarship awards that could have been awarded to either of us.

I'm referring to my class for this. Had this been done during our application process, our scholarship calculus would have been different. Hence, we feel "cheated" out of money, etc. All I was saying was that with a median of 159, our class might (probably) would not look the same. The same applies to your class, since you applied based off inflated medians as well.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:56 pm

beach_terror wrote:
seespotrun wrote:

I'm referring to my class for this. Had this been done during our application process, our scholarship calculus would have been different. Hence, we feel "cheated" out of money, etc. All I was saying was that with a median of 159, our class might (probably) would not look the same. The same applies to your class, since you applied based off inflated medians as well.

Re: the calculus, I don't think it would make that big of a difference. But I definitely see where you're coming from.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:04 pm

CChuff wrote:

Listen, first, I do not get where anyone gets off childly calling Villanova TTT. I am very happy of the decision I made, the building is great, the faculty is great, and job prospects for at least the top 25% are promising (as far as big law goes). I think it is unfortunate that many people overract and overrstate the resulting effects of the misstatements. Bottome line is that Villanova is a great place to go to law school and has helped me achieve everything that I set out to achieve.

did not overstate anything. Vls is ttt. Maybe not for a few years b/c of fudged numbers, but it will likely be. Sure vls might be great for you, but there's no denying that your ls misrepresented itself to its clientelle.

jeremysen

Postby jeremysen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:05 pm

nooyyllib wrote:

I'll say one thing as a current 1L. VLS does offer opportunities to colored kids.

e.g. Pepper Hamilton which is a biglaw firm has an exclusive program with VLS called Pepper Pathways Program which takes 2 diverse 1Ls for their 1L SA gig (this is PAID). Also, there is Philadelphia Diversity Law Group which a whole bunch of biglaw firms participate to take 1Ls and PAY them for their SA gig (eventually leading to job offers).

So it's not all that bleak here.

emphasis: colored students. % of class?

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:10 pm

did not overstate anything. Vls is ttt. Maybe not for a few years b/c of fudged numbers, but it will likely be. Sure vls might be great for you, but there's no denying that your ls misrepresented itself to its clientelle.[/quote]

You clearly did, last time I checked, TTT was over 100. We are not nearly over 100. And if you look at the rankings and median LSATs, there are many above and below us with median LSATS around 160.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:14 pm

So it's not all that bleak here.[/quote]

emphasis: colored students. % of class?[/quote]

There is also plenty of oppurtunities for non-colored kids. I am looking forward to NLP rankings

Evrydyhonestliar

Postby Evrydyhonestliar » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:17 pm

It gives me hope to see current students defending the school. Those lashing out make me nervous.

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Evrydyhonestliar wrote:It gives me hope to see a current student defending the school. Those lashing out make me nervous.

FTFY. Only one student. Just don't go here. LS is risky enough, and chances are, you will regret it. If there was any question that this was the third best law school in Philly, there isn't anymore.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 pm

Honestly, when I was on the regional rail to go to my interview the other day I fell in love with philly. I hear VLS has decent number of alumni in Philly.

Also, that interview was for a public interest organization in D.C. So I think VLS can give you a decent shot at D.C. (of course not as great as D.C. schools)

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:27 pm

jdhakert wrote:
Evrydyhonestliar wrote:It gives me hope to see a current student defending the school. Those lashing out make me nervous.

FTFY. Only one student. Just don't go here. LS is risky enough, and chances are, you will regret it. If there was any question that this was the third best law school in Philly, there isn't anymore.

Haha, Villanova is the second best Law School in Phila. Please do not listen to JDHakert. He truly has no clue. Villanova is a great place and I would not alter my decision. Do some research, visit, and then make your decision. Do not listen to people like JD who have probably not even stepped foot inside PA.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 pm

CChuff wrote:
jdhakert wrote:

Haha, Villanova is the second best Law School in Phila. Please do not listen to JDHakert. He truly has no clue. Villanova is a great place and I would not alter my decision. Do some research, visit, and then make your decision. Do not listen to people like JD who have probably not even stepped foot inside PA.

+1, I'm not sure if there's any credibility to this but my friend at Temple told me employers tend to have a negative perspective on PENN students because they all try to place in NYC or DC. So for Philly, IMO, it's VLS or Temple.

Only negative about the new building is that I wish they gave each student a carrel like University of Richmond law school.

CChuff

Postby CChuff » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:32 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
CChuff wrote:
jdhakert wrote:

+1, I'm not sure if there's any credibility to this but my friend at Temple told me employers tend to have a negative perspective on PENN students because they all try to place in NYC or DC. So for Philly, IMO, it's VLS or Temple.

Only negative about the new building is that I wish they gave each student a carrel like University of Richmond law school.

Absolutely. I just carrel camp though haha.

stayway

Postby stayway » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 pm

CChuff wrote:Absolutely. I just carrel camp though haha.

Holla.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”