Villanova 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sdubs

Re: Villanova 2011

Postby sdubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:43 pm

I received a letter from Villnova a few days before christmas... it was literally an envelope with two sheets of paper. One said i got in. The other said they were offering a full tuition scholarship. Haven't heard from them since.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:41 pm

thats a good amount of information needed to make a decision.

Patriot29

Postby Patriot29 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:46 pm

So after reading a bunch of posts I'm getting the impression that Villanova is very slow and unpredictable with their admissions? I have been in review since 1/27. Does anyone have any idea as to how long until they make a decision after going into review? Is Temple slow and unpredictable too (been complete at Temple since 1/20)?

rockyIV

Postby rockyIV » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:47 pm

two and a half months straight at complete, your wait just began if its anything like the rest of ours

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Patriot29 wrote:So after reading a bunch of posts I'm getting the impression that Villanova is very slow and unpredictable with their admissions? I have been in review since 1/27. Does anyone have any idea as to how long until they make a decision after going into review? Is Temple slow and unpredictable too (been complete at Temple since 1/20)?

hahahaha I genuinely hope you don't wait until June because like this person above me said, it's going to be at least two and a half months if it's anything like the rest of us. I have sent two emails and called twice trying to get some response from these people and they have no answers. Literally zero communication. And my numbers are good for Nova. Apparently they're just the most unorganized admissions office in the world. But seriously I hope you get an answer.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:54 pm

What do you guys think?

--LinkRemoved--

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:07 pm

ran12 wrote:What do you guys think?

--LinkRemoved--

If I call to withdraw and they ask for a reason would it be rude to give this as one?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:09 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Probably not going to be a big deal, but it is kind of shady. He just took over as Dean and I think he's trying to get shit in order. I guarantee people are going to blow this out of proportion though, lulz will ensue.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:22 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

If I call to withdraw and they ask for a reason would it be rude to give this as one?

If you do, let us know how it goes. I am still thinking we should stage a mass withdrawal.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:25 pm

irishvt14 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

If you do, let us know how it goes. I am still thinking we should stage a mass withdrawal.

email sent.. citing my reasons with a link to the article.. also asked for an app fee refund.. will let you know how it goes

rs2004

Postby rs2004 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:27 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
irishvt14 wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

email sent.. citing my reasons with a link to the article.. also asked for an app fee refund.. will let you know how it goes

are you serious?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:33 pm

rs2004 wrote:
are you serious?

absolutely.. never know what this could mean for the school.. chances are theyll work it out and it wont be a problem.. but theres always the chance things go downhill too... id rather not be around for it and think that people who applied under the assumption that the numbers and info VLS reported were accurate should have been notified

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:07 am

beach_terror wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Probably not going to be a big deal, but it is kind of shady. He just took over as Dean and I think he's trying to get shit in order. I guarantee people are going to blow this out of proportion though, lulz will ensue.

Don't see why it wouldn't be a big deal...even if everyone lies on their resume, the person that gets caught still gets ripped. See e.g. George O'leary.

It is a big deal that Villanova BLATANTLY lied about their incoming LSAT/GPA numbers in what was obviously an effort to improve or maintain their US News ranking.

Yes almost every law school is deceptive in the release of information regarding employment, but that deception is not at all equal to outright lies. Most of the employment fudging can easily be sifted through with a little work; if you have the number of students reporting, the number in private legal practice, and the number in private practice reporting salary, you can basically know all you need to know about the employment prospects of a school(of course that info isn't always available, but in theory, you can work through it). It's, however, impossible to sift through LSAT/GPA statistics in the same way. We take them at face value because we have to. The fact that Villanova (and presumably other schools) are lying about this and the fact that the ABA didn't pick up on what is, for them as a result of their resources, an easily verifiable fudging of the numbers is a slap in all of our faces.

I take that back, it's like someone hawking a huge, slimy loogie in the face of law students and law applicants everywhere.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Don't see why it wouldn't be a big deal...even if everyone lies on their resume, the person that gets caught still gets ripped. See e.g. George O'leary.

It is a big deal that Villanova BLATANTLY lied about their incoming LSAT/GPA numbers in what was obviously an effort to improve or maintain their US News ranking.

Yes almost every law school is deceptive in the release of information regarding employment, but that deception is not at all equal to outright lies. Most of the employment fudging can easily be sifted through with a little work; if you have the number of students reporting, the number in private legal practice, and the number in private practice reporting salary, you can basically know all you need to know about the employment prospects of a school(of course that info isn't always available, but in theory, you can work through it). It's, however, impossible to sift through LSAT/GPA statistics in the same way. We take them at face value because we have to. The fact that Villanova (and presumably other schools) are lying about this and the fact that the ABA didn't pick up on what is, for them as a result of their resources, an easily verifiable fudging of the numbers is a slap in all of our faces.

I take that back, it's like someone hawking a huge, slimy loogie in the face of law students and law applicants everywhere.

I'll agree with what you're saying if it comes out as a huge conspiracy, but for now it seems like a few admissions people are going to get the axe. If it's bigger than that, then yeah this will turn into a shit storm. We're up for reaccredation this year, so that explains why this just came out.

They still haven't said exactly what was lied about. I think this might end up being about diversity statistics and not LSAT/GPA stuff, which is what everyone is obviously thinking.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:37 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I'll agree with what you're saying if it comes out as a huge conspiracy, but for now it seems like a few admissions people are going to get the axe. If it's bigger than that, then yeah this will turn into a shit storm. We're up for reaccredation this year, so that explains why this just came out.

They still haven't said exactly what was lied about. I think this might end up being about diversity statistics and not LSAT/GPA stuff, which is what everyone is obviously thinking.

"Diversity statistics?" Really?

According to the ABA article, a university official says it is LSAT/GPA numbers, and the number fudging happened for a period of years. That IS a big deal, and is not the kind of deception that lends itself to being perpetrated in a surreptitious manner by a few wayward individuals. The new administration at Villanova may be clean, but it definitely looks like the old admins had a deliberate and systematic scheme to fudge numbers.

All this really proves to me is that US News, not the ABA, not the NALP, and not any other body that purports to govern the actions of law schools/students, truly governs law schools. That makes maintaining or improving your rankings a goal you pursue by any means necessary. Students are the losers in that scenario.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:"Diversity statistics?" Really?

According to the ABA article, a university official says it is LSAT/GPA numbers, and the number fudging happened for a period of years. That IS a big deal, and is not the kind of deception that lends itself to being perpetrated in a surreptitious manner by a few wayward individuals. The new administration at Villanova may be clean, but it definitely looks like the old admins had a deliberate and systematic scheme to fudge numbers.

All this really proves to me is that US News, not the ABA, not the NALP, and not any other body that purports to govern the actions of law schools/students, truly governs law schools. That makes maintaining or improving your rankings a goal you pursue by any means necessary. Students are the losers in that scenario.

Ah, I didn't see the update that narrowed it to LSAT/GPA scores. The email we got just said it was admissions data. At least he indicated that this years data was correct. It'll be interesting to see where this goes, especially with the reaccrediation stuff happening right now too. So many people at the school are great, it's a shame to see this type of shit happening. And yeah, I'm pretty sure our diversity statistics are fudged. There's no way its 30% like they claim.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:14 pm

I was planning on withdrawing for sure at some point, this info is prompting me to withdraw sooner rather than later.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:33 pm

i also am withdrawing my application. Not because of this new developments, but because i have gotten into the top 3 schools that i was aiming for.

karate1243

Postby karate1243 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:56 pm

northwood wrote:i also am withdrawing my application. Not because of this new developments, but because i have gotten into the top 3 schools that i was aiming for.

numbers if you dont mind?

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:01 pm

I sent my application to Villanova last week. I'm pretty confident I'll get in with my numbers and in fact, Villanova is one of my top choices. Is anyone else who had Villanova as one of their top choices reconsidering the school because of the latest news? I think it's kinda sad that a school (a law school, nonetheless) that expects us to not deliberately make any false claims on the application can't uphold the same principles it expects of its potential students....

karate1243

Postby karate1243 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:07 pm

voltage88 wrote:I sent my application to Villanova last week. I'm pretty confident I'll get in with my numbers and in fact, Villanova is one of my top choices. Is anyone else who had Villanova as one of their top choices reconsidering the school because of the latest news? I think it's kinda sad that a school (a law school, nonetheless) that expects us to not deliberately make any false claims on the application can't uphold the same principles it expects of its potential students....

you might get a faster response if your numbers are really good but be prepared for a long way. I have been complete since 12/21 and not heard anything.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:08 pm

ive been in review since 1/26. i was complete for about a month before that.I submitted my application on 12/1
Last edited by northwood on Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:09 pm

karate1243 wrote:
voltage88 wrote:I sent my application to Villanova last week. I'm pretty confident I'll get in with my numbers and in fact, Villanova is one of my top choices. Is anyone else who had Villanova as one of their top choices reconsidering the school because of the latest news? I think it's kinda sad that a school (a law school, nonetheless) that expects us to not deliberately make any false claims on the application can't uphold the same principles it expects of its potential students....

you might get a faster response if your numbers are really good but be prepared for a long way. I have been complete since 12/21 and not heard anything.

Yeah, I'm not expecting a quick turnaround from what I hear...

jdhakert

Postby jdhakert » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:17 pm

If you have half a brain, you would not start at Villanova in the fall 2011 with out a full ride... not meaning to be mean, just saying

jeo

Postby jeo » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:20 pm

I've been complete since mid-November. My app went into review on 1/26. No decision yet & I guess I'll just have to keep waiting.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”