Villanova 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sdubs

New

Re: Villanova 2011

Post by sdubs » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:22 pm

Just an FYI...

I work at a medium sized law firm about 20 minutes from Villanova and they hire a good amount of Nova grads. Today I was speaking with one of the partners who does the hiring for more than half the firm. He immediately brought up the scandal and the fact that the old dean used was caught in a prostitute scandal. He said this will really change the way employers look at Nova graduates, in a negative way. He was basically trying to talk me out of Nova law... and for the record this is one of those employers who previously said Temple and Villanova grads make better lawyers than do UPenn grads.

I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy here... but I think candidates should know what employers think of everything thats gone down. I was offered full tuition scholarship, I am pretty sure I am going to withdraw.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:05 pm

Will I be refunded if I withdraw my app? Still at my first complete.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Bless wrote:Will I be refunded if I withdraw my app? Still at my first complete.
They have no incentive to refund you.

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:00 pm

sdubs wrote:Just an FYI...

I work at a medium sized law firm about 20 minutes from Villanova and they hire a good amount of Nova grads. Today I was speaking with one of the partners who does the hiring for more than half the firm. He immediately brought up the scandal and the fact that the old dean used was caught in a prostitute scandal. He said this will really change the way employers look at Nova graduates, in a negative way. He was basically trying to talk me out of Nova law... and for the record this is one of those employers who previously said Temple and Villanova grads make better lawyers than do UPenn grads.

I'm not trying to be a Negative Nancy here... but I think candidates should know what employers think of everything thats gone down. I was offered full tuition scholarship, I am pretty sure I am going to withdraw.
One person at a mid-size firm. Who may be made up.

Anyway, Dean Gotanda has been in close contact with Philadelphia/Delaware/New Jersey NLJ 250 firms, and all of the employers have expressed support for Villanova and have indicated that this will no way effect their hiring at Villanova. They are happy with the attorneys that they have already hired from Villanova. They like the product and they are going to keep buying it.
Villanova's alumni is tight knit, if anything they will do even more to support Villanova graduates in light of this situation. Villanova is top 50 (39) in placement rankings and will continue to be in the top 50.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:20 pm

The firm may be made up but let's be realistic here. No matter how loyal a firm or alum say they are, due to the string of scandals at Nova lately, it's not exactly a school that people want to associate with. Plus, it's not like the Dean is going to say that firms are bouncing. If you have legit proof that these firms will stick around, then fine but most likely that won't be seen until a year or two down the line. People often say things and do the opposite. I know, real shocker.

Anyway, I liked Nova early in the cycle but after all this and their lack of communication, I decided to withdraw. Doesn't matter what anyone at Nova says, this scandal will lead to a lower quality incoming class and firms ditching Nova.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:23 pm

ran12 wrote:The firm may be made up but let's be realistic here. No matter how loyal a firm or alum say they are, due to the string of scandals at Nova lately, it's not exactly a school that people want to associate with. Plus, it's not like the Dean is going to say that firms are bouncing. If you have legit proof that these firms will stick around, then fine but most likely that won't be seen until a year or two down the line. People often say things and do the opposite. I know, real shocker.

Anyway, I liked Nova early in the cycle but after all this and their lack of communication, I decided to withdraw. Doesn't matter what anyone at Nova says, this scandal will lead to a lower quality incoming class and firms ditching Nova.
Lower quality incoming class...maybe. Firms completely ditching Nova? Not a chance.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:28 pm

CChuff wrote:
ran12 wrote:The firm may be made up but let's be realistic here. No matter how loyal a firm or alum say they are, due to the string of scandals at Nova lately, it's not exactly a school that people want to associate with. Plus, it's not like the Dean is going to say that firms are bouncing. If you have legit proof that these firms will stick around, then fine but most likely that won't be seen until a year or two down the line. People often say things and do the opposite. I know, real shocker.

Lower quality incoming class...maybe. Firms completely ditching Nova? Not a chance.
Never said firms completely ditching Nova. There will be firms that stick with Nova but there could be a noticeable drop in firms recruiting.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:33 pm

CChuff wrote:Villanova is top 50 (39) in placement rankings and will continue to be in the top 50.

The unfortunate thing is that we really won't find out if there was any sort of hit in NLJ250 hiring for years. I mean most of the stats we rely on now are for the Class of 2009, who did OCI in 2007.

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 pm

ran12 wrote:
CChuff wrote:
ran12 wrote:Doesn't matter what anyone at Nova says, this scandal will lead to a lower quality incoming class and firms ditching Nova.
Never said firms completely ditching Nova. There will be firms that stick with Nova but there could be a noticeable drop in firms recruiting.
I of course agree with your more recent statement. There could be. However, I do not think employers will make the determination that a previous Dean's bad actions outweighs their satisfaction with Villanova graduates and their long time affiliation with Villanova law. That does not make any sense. This is partly why I do not foresee any changes in recruiting at Villanova.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aidez-moi

Bronze

Post by aidez-moi » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:41 pm

CChuff wrote:

Anyway, Dean Gotanda has been in close contact with Philadelphia/Delaware/New Jersey NLJ 250 firms, and all of the employers have expressed support for Villanova and have indicated that this will no way effect their hiring at Villanova. They are happy with the attorneys that they have already hired from Villanova. They like the product and they are going to keep buying it.
Villanova's alumni is tight knit, if anything they will do even more to support Villanova graduates in light of this situation. Villanova is top 50 (39) in placement rankings and will continue to be in the top 50.
I'm starting to think CChuff works in the admissions office.

CChuff

Bronze

Post by CChuff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:47 pm

aidez-moi wrote:I'm starting to think CChuff works in the admissions office.
I am a second-year student at Villanova. Anyone with q's feel free to PM me.
Last edited by CChuff on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJG9

New

Post by CJG9 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:59 pm

CChuff wrote:

+1

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:06 pm

aidez-moi wrote: I'm starting to think CChuff works in the admissions office.
He doesn't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:28 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
CChuff wrote:Villanova is top 50 (39) in placement rankings and will continue to be in the top 50.

The unfortunate thing is that we really won't find out if there was any sort of hit in NLJ250 hiring for years. I mean most of the stats we rely on now are for the Class of 2009, who did OCI in 2007.
this is off tangent- but is there a place to find more up to date hiring info for schools other than their own stats? the class of 2009 data is nice- but it is a few years old.

sdubs

New

Post by sdubs » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:34 pm

Firm isn't made up... its an employment law firm that I've been a file clerk at since September but i won't release the town or name because I don't want the man who said it to get shit... but I am a Villanova undergrad student and I love Villanova trust me... I hate that this all happened because I was seriously considering it, but I feel like people should have full disclosure on what I've heard before they make a decision.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:17 pm

I find it hard to believe that firms will abandon Villanova over this scandal. I think people are blowing it way out of proportion, but who knows.

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 am

Based on my conversation with the admissions office, they will speed up their review process (after they cleaned up the house) and will make most of the decisions within next couple weeks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:01 am

ran12 wrote:If you've been admitted already and didn't get a scholarship offer then you prob won't get anything substantial. I was admitted in Dec and got my scholarship offer with the letter.
This is false. After I was accepted I did not get scholarship information until about March. Be patient, the admin office is going through a bit of a change right now and I am sure it is slowing down the already slow process.

Trust me I understand how you all feel, Nova was one of the last schools to get back to me and I stressed too. But looking back, whether I went here or not, it was a waste of time worrying about it. They will get back to you before seat deposits are due and you will be able to make plans to visit. Also there is nothing wrong with visiting any school before you get a response. I did that with a few schools and they appreciated my initiative (I was accepted to the ones I did that to with the exception of one waitlist).

As far as firms go, I've interviewed with a few well respected firms in the area and they didn't voice any concerns about what happened (whether I get the job or not is another story fwiw). Its only a few firms personally and all, but so far it hasn't seemed to be the doomsday scenario many have been talking about around here (not to down play it because it certainly pisses me off that we need to deal with the old administration's b.s. and it is undoubtedly a bad situation).

If any of you need advice or have questions to ask whether its Nova related or not PM me. Until then, back to my brief work. Good luck.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:31 pm

I went from under review 12/9 to under review 2/11

What a joke.

ect88

New

Post by ect88 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Just had my "under review" date changed to yesterday. Some schools give a second under review date right before sending out a decision -- has Villanova been doing that this year?

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:26 pm

WL'ed on 2/11. I wasn't attending anyway due to cost and the recent news. I sent my app about a month ago. I think I had two complete dates. This was also the only school that required me to submit a more detailed criminal record addendum than the one I submitted. (I don't feel my record contains any abnormal offenses, so I thought that was odd). I know VLS stresses ethics and a religious-based focus, so maybe that had something to do with it.

A year ago, this was the school I wanted to attend. After almost a year in the legal field, I now realize Temple is a better fit for me, personally. Good luck to those still waiting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:09 pm

LSATclincher wrote:WL'ed on 2/11. I wasn't attending anyway due to cost and the recent news. I sent my app about a month ago. I think I had two complete dates. This was also the only school that required me to submit a more detailed criminal record addendum than the one I submitted. (I don't feel my record contains any abnormal offenses, so I thought that was odd). I know VLS stresses ethics and a religious-based focus, so maybe that had something to do with it.

A year ago, this was the school I wanted to attend. After almost a year in the legal field, I now realize Temple is a better fit for me, personally. Good luck to those still waiting.
They asked me for more details about my code of conduct offense. I got drunk on campus when I was 19 and got caught. I didn't think that needed much more explanation.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:14 pm

kjadkins wrote:
LSATclincher wrote:WL'ed on 2/11. I wasn't attending anyway due to cost and the recent news. I sent my app about a month ago. I think I had two complete dates. This was also the only school that required me to submit a more detailed criminal record addendum than the one I submitted. (I don't feel my record contains any abnormal offenses, so I thought that was odd). I know VLS stresses ethics and a religious-based focus, so maybe that had something to do with it.

They asked me for more details about my code of conduct offense. I got drunk on campus when I was 19 and got caught. I didn't think that needed much more explanation.
They did that for my roommate back in college. He still got in. Same offence as yours.

leefair123

Bronze

Post by leefair123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 pm

WL as well staying in florida anyway

Patriot29

New

Post by Patriot29 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Complete 1/5
Under Review 1/25
Waitlisted 2/14

The decision came within a reasonable time I would say. Then again, I have crappy numbers so I guess they just wanted to get me out of the way first.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”