Villanova 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LawSchoolPorFavor

Bronze

Re: Villanova 2011

Post by LawSchoolPorFavor » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:07 pm

how long has it taken people to receive their NOVASIS pin? I requested one this morning and still haven't gotten the email

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

SrLaw wrote:I know this has been brought up numerous times but I am curious as to what everyone thinks about VLS massive drop in the rankings? #84 this year but what about next year when we really see the effects of the numbers? Does anyone ever see VLS bouncing back from this?

Villanova is a regional school.

Whether it's ranked 64 or 84 it will be regional.

Many, many grads of VLS work in the area... and are often the ones who do the hiring for firms. I can't imagine that they would think very harshly about their alma mater.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:09 pm

SrLaw wrote:
Bless wrote:
SrLaw wrote:Interesting e-mail from Villanova today.

They asked what other offers I had received and then told me they would give me my scholarship offer first thing tomorrow?

Interesting.
They requested the same from me, and once I responded, I was given an offer only a few hours later. They are extremely prompt.

how was the offer?

After I sent them 8 different offers I am hoping I get a full or close to it.
From what I know, Nova doesn't give out many full scholarships.

But, I could be wrong...

rs2004

Silver

Post by rs2004 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:11 pm

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:how long has it taken people to receive their NOVASIS pin? I requested one this morning and still haven't gotten the email
i believe this becomes available once your financial aid application is completed by the school.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 pm

I mean for crying out loud the former governor of PA is a VLS grad... and now a partner at a Philly Biglaw firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 pm

SrLaw wrote:I know this has been brought up numerous times but I am curious as to what everyone thinks about VLS massive drop in the rankings? #84 this year but what about next year when we really see the effects of the numbers? Does anyone ever see VLS bouncing back from this?
I don't worry about the rankings. They jump around from year to year. Keep in mind, VLS had just admitted to a scandal from a few years ago, so they had no margin for error when reporting their numbers this year. It's safe to say that most of the schools skew their numbers to some degree; obviously, VLS was under the microscope this year, so they didn't.

Keep in mind the NLJ250 rankings, where Villanova is ranked #40, I believe. That's a direct reflection of big law jobs.

Basically, don't go by USN rankings, lol. The formula they use to rank the schools includes a lot of irrelevant data as well (irrelevant if your only concern is landing a job).

For example, Seton Hall jumped up to #61 this year, and despite them offering me $25K to attend, Villanova offering me $15K, and Villanova dropping so severely in the rankings, I would never make the mistake as to believing that SHU could offer me better prospects than Villanova. SHU doesn't even have Jersey locked down, let alone any other place. Villanova and Temple, at the very least, will give you an opprotunity to work in Philly, a city which they practically own. If my worst option is a job in Philadelphia of all places, I'm in pretty good shape.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:19 pm

Bless wrote:
I don't worry about the rankings. They jump around from year to year. Keep in mind, VLS had just admitted to a scandal from a few years ago, so they had no margin for error when reporting their numbers this year. It's safe to say that most of the schools skew their numbers to some degree; obviously, VLS was under the microscope this year, so they didn't.

Keep in mind the NLJ250 rankings, where Villanova is ranked #40, I believe. That's a direct reflection of big law jobs.

Basically, don't go by USN rankings, lol. The formula they use to rank the schools includes a lot of irrelevant data as well (irrelevant if your only concern is landing a job).

For example, Seton Hall jumped up to #61 this year, and despite them offering me $25K to attend, Villanova offering me $15K, and Villanova dropping so severely in the rankings, I would never make the mistake as to believing that SHU could offer me better prospects than Villanova. SHU doesn't even have Jersey locked down, let alone any other place. Villanova and Temple, at the very least, will give you an opprotunity to work in Philly, a city which they practically own. If my worst option is a job in Philadelphia of all places, I'm in pretty good shape.
+1, well put. If you won't be happy in Philadelphia, don't come to Villanova.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:26 pm

I'd also like to add that I met with students at Villanova who landed solid jobs outside of Philly. I met a guy that is working for Bingham McCutchen in Boston. Given, he's also at the top 10% of his class.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by the drop in the USN rankings, but at the same time, I take it with a grain of salt. After the research I've done and knowledge I've gained about not only Villanova, but the law schools in general, the rankings had little to no affect on my opinion of Villanova.
Last edited by Bless on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Bless wrote:I'd also like to add that I met with students at Villanova who landed solid jobs outside of Philly. I met a guy that is working for Bingham McCutchen in Boston. Given, he's also at the top 10% of his class.
There's some regional movement, but not enough to justify coming here as opposed to a similarly ranked school in that market. Also, we do very well in Wilmington.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Bless wrote:I'd also like to add that I met with students at Villanova who landed solid jobs outside of Philly. I met a guy that is working for Bingham McCutchen in Boston. Given, he's also at the top 10% of his class.
There's some regional movement, but not enough to justify coming here as opposed to a similarly ranked school in that market. Also, we do very well in Wilmington.
Agreed.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:34 pm

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed by the drop in the USN rankings, but at the same time, I take it with a grain of salt. After the research I've done and knowledge I've gained about not only Villanova, but the law schools in general, the rankings had little to no affect on my opinion of Villanova.

Why are you disappointed?

Do you honestly believe that Villanova is competing with schools like the University of Cincinnati and the University of Oklahoma?

Schools in the 60-100 range can jump around as much as they want and it really doesn't mean dog shit.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 pm

kk19131 wrote:

Do you honestly believe that Villanova is competing with schools like the University of Cincinnati and the University of Oklahoma?

Schools in the 6030-100 range can jump around as much as they want and it really doesn't mean dog shit.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:41 pm

this all feels like deja vu, no? i think every 2 or 3 pages we start having the same conversations.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:42 pm

kk19131 wrote:

Schools in the 60-100 range can jump around as much as they want and it really doesn't mean dog shit.
If you read my other posts, I clearly demonstrate awareness of the bullshit tied to those rankings. My slight disappointment was just for show-off value and nothing more, and that obviously holds zero weight in my final decision. I might have cared for like fifteen minutes after the rankings were posted.

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Damn you guys are smart

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:48 pm

nooyyllib wrote:Damn you guys are smart
LOL, because we're not a bunch of mindless TLS morons that can't think logically for themselves? We're supposed to be lawyers one day, right?

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:48 pm

What? We're going to be lawyers??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:51 pm

I find this to be relevant for some reason.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:53 pm

nooyyllib wrote:I find this to be relevant for some reason.
That's nooyllib, myself, and one of our friends. Just fyi.

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Damn. I just changed my mind about 'Nova.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Bless wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
Damn. I just changed my mind about 'Nova.
From probably coming to definitely coming?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bless

Silver

Post by Bless » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:59 pm

LOL, good man.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:02 pm

definitely coming.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:38 pm

So, who can direct me to the nearest bar? 8)

langdonbadger

New

Post by langdonbadger » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:54 pm

kk19131 wrote:So, who can direct me to the nearest bar? 8)
+1

and to the best drink specials. No G4 cab rides here yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”