Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jazzluvr

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby jazzluvr » Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:16 am

Campagnolo wrote:Portland native here, if anyone has any questions.

Yeah. My biggest concern are the reputed 20-30-day spans "without any sunlight," people up there lacking in vitamin D and getting SAD because of it and needing full-specturm lights, etc. I'd be moving from the SF Bay Area, and according to some stats I saw on some weather site, average number of hours of sunlight per day here is 6.5 whereas in Portland it's 1.5.

How bad is it, really? And are there areas that are sunnier than others? I somehow get the feeling the eastern neighborhoods (like Sellwood) might be sunnier and less dreary than sw.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:01 pm

jazzluvr wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:Portland native here, if anyone has any questions.

Yeah. My biggest concern are the reputed 20-30-day spans "without any sunlight," people up there lacking in vitamin D and getting SAD because of it and needing full-specturm lights, etc. I'd be moving from the SF Bay Area, and according to some stats I saw on some weather site, average number of hours of sunlight per day here is 6.5 whereas in Portland it's 1.5.

How bad is it, really? And are there areas that are sunnier than others? I somehow get the feeling the eastern neighborhoods (like Sellwood) might be sunnier and less dreary than sw.

I don't think there are really areas that are sunnier than others. Keep in mind that the entire Portland area is a lot smaller than the Bay Area, and it doesn't have a big bay affecting the weather in odd ways. A solid cloud cover over most of the Willamette Valley is not likely to have convenient holes in it over Sellwood. If anything, the outlying SW suburbs are a few degrees cooler in the summer and a few degrees warmer in the winter.

Personally, I wear sunglasses off and on nearly year-round. It sounds silly to say it, but the clouds are bright freaking white. I can't look at the sky comfortably, whether the sun is out or not. And I have a hard time not dismissing SAD as a ridiculous fantasy affliction invented by whiny hypochondriacs. Maybe I get all the vitamin D I need from milk, I dunno. I have little patience with such things.

A lot of warm-staters move up here and immediately (and incessantly) start bitching about the weather, as if we misled them about it when we were begging them to move up here to destroy our real estate market. Maybe they've only visited in August or something and expect the entire year to be like that. My parents are from the Bay Area and say our weather is actually pretty comparable, minus the morning fog.

http://countrystudies.us/united-states/ ... rtland.htm
http://countrystudies.us/united-states/ ... ncisco.htm
SF has warmer winters, Portland has warmer summers. Precipitation is not wildly different, although Portland is slightly wetter year-round.

As for sun:
--LinkRemoved--
Comparable to SF in the summer, about half as much sun as SF in the fall/winters.

We do go 20-30 days where it rains every day, but that will also include sun breaks. Sometimes we get in a weather pattern where it rains overnight and the days are (at least partially) sunny. Sometimes the mornings are awful and rainy and the sun comes out in the afternoon. And sometimes, yes, it's grey and drizzly for days on end.

My one plea is that you please, for the love of god, learn how to drive in the rain. We do not slow down in the rain, unless we're stuck behind some idiot Californian who's afraid of wet roads. We put wet-weather tires and good wiper blades on our cars and we go the exact same speed as when the roads are dry (leaving a little more stopping distance, perhaps).

kalede

Postby kalede » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:24 am

I'm visiting family at the moment, but I asked a friend to check my mail at home for law schooly things, and I got my acceptance letter in the mail! :D :D :D In with $17,000/year.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 am

kalede wrote: I got my acceptance letter in the mail! :D :D :D In with $17,000/year.

Congratulations!

masochist

Postby masochist » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Congrats to those who have received good news. If you get a chance, could you post what your status checker says? I am not in a position to check my mail, and my checker has been stuck at "file complete" since 12/9.

kalede

Postby kalede » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:16 pm

Mine still says complete at 12/1.

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Dang it I need to get home and check my mail! :shock:

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 pm

Pink wrote:Dang it I need to get home and check my mail! :shock:

I'm seriously considering going home sick at noon. (I am sick and do feel like crap, but had intended to suffer through the day at work.)

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:42 pm

masochist wrote: If you get a chance, could you post what your status checker says? I am not in a position to check my mail, and my checker has been stuck at "file complete" since 12/9.

kalede wrote:Mine still says complete at 12/1.

Same.

masochist

Postby masochist » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:02 pm

That's a relief. Thanks for the responses.

Ironically, I am in Portland visiting my family this week. It has been a struggle to avoid driving up to L and C to ask about my app in person

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:56 pm

I did go home sick. Not only was my mailbox empty, I then spent the next 2 1/2 hours shaking with fever chills. At least I was home in bed, not at work. :P

The couple of early offers baffle me, though. No offense guys, but they're not 4.0/180s... I can't help but sit here and wonder what made those particular apps so special, and why mine apparently isn't. I'm vacillating between bitter jealousy and terrified paranoia. :)

Come on, L&C, take pity on the sick girl!

stheskier

Postby stheskier » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:02 pm

I wouldn't worry. It all depends on the person reviewing your app. They just might not have made a decision yet (or gotten to looking at it).

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:33 am

My acceptance letter says they still don't know what the tuition will be for next year. How do they expect us to make a decision if the tuition is going up by some unknown amount? Does anyone have an idea of how much it's been going up a year?

kalede

Postby kalede » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:46 am

I'm not sure if this had anything to do with getting my letter early, but I applied and was accepted in the previous cycle.

awahoya

Postby awahoya » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:23 am

I know this has already been covered, but...

Portland = amazing, despite the rain (you'll get used to it!)

-an austinite

Orko

Postby Orko » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:47 pm

For those of you already accepted, are you able to login to Inside L&C? If so, is it the same username/password used to check your status, or were you given new information with your acceptance packet?

This waiting is killing me.

tsutsik

Postby tsutsik » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:09 pm

Orko wrote:are you able to login to Inside L&C? If so, is it the same username/password used to check your status, or were you given new information with your acceptance packet?

Yes. The login information came with the acceptance packet.

Orko

Postby Orko » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:26 pm

tsutsik wrote:
Orko wrote:are you able to login to Inside L&C? If so, is it the same username/password used to check your status, or were you given new information with your acceptance packet?

Yes. The login information came with the acceptance packet.

Thanks for the info. That makes me a little less nervous about a denial letter headed my way.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:47 pm

This reply is a little slow in coming, but, even as I sit facing the gray sky beyond my window, I can say that I find no problem in dealing with the weather. Buy a quality jacket with a hood, and carry on like there is no rain in the sky. It's the Portland way.

There are often sun breaks during even the worst of weeks, and the spectacle of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens rising above the cityscape during the winter never ceases to move me. If you find the rain brings you down, go skiing, even if you are on a shoestring budget. It's amazing what a change of 7,000 feet in elevation will do for your attitude.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:04 pm

Campagnolo wrote:This reply is a little slow in coming, but, even as I sit facing the gray sky beyond my window, I can say that I find no problem in dealing with the weather. Buy a quality jacket with a hood, and carry on like there is no rain in the sky. It's the Portland way.

There are often sun breaks during even the worst of weeks, and the spectacle of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens rising above the cityscape during the winter never ceases to move me. If you find the rain brings you down, go skiing, even if you are on a shoestring budget. It's amazing what a change of 7,000 feet in elevation will do for your attitude.

+1

It's just water! Doesn't hurt a bit. :)

Just ordered a new snowboard (Christmas present). Mt. Hood Meadows is my happy place.

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:51 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:This reply is a little slow in coming, but, even as I sit facing the gray sky beyond my window, I can say that I find no problem in dealing with the weather. Buy a quality jacket with a hood, and carry on like there is no rain in the sky. It's the Portland way.

+1

It's just water! Doesn't hurt a bit. :)

Just ordered a new snowboard (Christmas present). Mt. Hood Meadows is my happy place.

Grew up in CO, and have been in MO for last 20 months with no mountain fun :(. I am going crazy waiting for L&C to get to getting.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:52 pm

in today with scholly! haven't seen the packet, i'm away and heard from my S.O. who checked the mail, but HELLS YEAH!
and my status checker still says under review....glad i didn't bother checking it much!!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:07 am

oldhippie wrote:in today with scholly! haven't seen the packet, i'm away and heard from my S.O. who checked the mail, but HELLS YEAH!
and my status checker still says under review....glad i didn't bother checking it much!!

Care to share your scholly amount? (Obviously it's fine if you don't.) My numbers are very close to yours and I'm DYING to know what I might expect in terms of money. :)

shoteka

Postby shoteka » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:21 pm

In with 16,000 a year!

Pink

Postby Pink » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:26 pm

shoteka wrote:In with 16,000 a year!

Congrats! Complete date? :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”