Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby ptblazer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:16 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
Capitol hillbilly wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:Lewis & Clark 1L here if anyone has any questions.

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions! I'm starting to browse the craigslist ads for housing, any suggestions for someone who wants to commute to school by bicycle? How is biking between the SE and L&C? Seems like that sellwood bridge might be tricky.
Since the school's environmental program is so highly regarded, does it seem like most people are seeking that certification? Is it more competitive than other certificate programs, like IP? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions! Looking forward to attending this fall. :P


I'm a little biased since I'm not a fan of the SE but a ton of students live there and don't have trouble getting back and forth to the school. Sellwood is a dangerous bridge but the big problem is that the city will be taking down the Sellwood Bridge to rebuild it starting near the end of the year I believe. That will make getting back and forth super inconvenient. Multnomah Village and the surrounding areas will be easier for biking but perhaps not as cheap on rent as the SE.

The certificates aren't really competitive per se. You just have to have a good enough GPA, take the appropriate classes and write the appropriate papers. Lots of people do the E-law cert but I've never heard anyone complain about not being able to get into the classes they need. They've held a few meetings to help students figure out the process for curriculum planning actually.

Hope that helps!


Not going to L & C, but the bridges in Portland have always freaked me out... they seemed very easy to accidentally drive off of...has this ever happened?


Haha, I've never really been freaked out about the bridges in a car. Although a couple are definitely old and a minor earthquake away from finding the bottom of the Willamette River. What I like most about Portland's bridges is that they are all very different from eachother. In Chicago, for example, all the downtown bridges look a like to me.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:55 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Not going to L & C, but the bridges in Portland have always freaked me out... they seemed very easy to accidentally drive off of...has this ever happened?


:? ... Um, no, the bridges are not easy to drive off of. I'm sure an incompetent Californian driver would have managed it by now if it were possible.

User avatar
lsatdalek
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:33 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby lsatdalek » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:34 am

ptblazer wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
Capitol hillbilly wrote:
I'm a little biased since I'm not a fan of the SE but a ton of students live there and don't have trouble getting back and forth to the school. Sellwood is a dangerous bridge but the big problem is that the city will be taking down the Sellwood Bridge to rebuild it starting near the end of the year I believe. That will make getting back and forth super inconvenient. Multnomah Village and the surrounding areas will be easier for biking but perhaps not as cheap on rent as the SE.

The certificates aren't really competitive per se. You just have to have a good enough GPA, take the appropriate classes and write the appropriate papers. Lots of people do the E-law cert but I've never heard anyone complain about not being able to get into the classes they need. They've held a few meetings to help students figure out the process for curriculum planning actually.

Hope that helps!


Not going to L & C, but the bridges in Portland have always freaked me out... they seemed very easy to accidentally drive off of...has this ever happened?


Haha, I've never really been freaked out about the bridges in a car. Although a couple are definitely old and a minor earthquake away from finding the bottom of the Willamette River. What I like most about Portland's bridges is that they are all very different from eachother. In Chicago, for example, all the downtown bridges look a like to me.



--LinkRemoved--

Portland's bridges are beautiful to look at from the waterfront. Even walking on it when there are little cars can be pretty rad. But, there are definitely some bridges that are an earthquake away from breaking.

I'm also not too sure how a bridge can be rated 2 out 100 but still be considered "safe to drive on."

User avatar
Capitol hillbilly
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:44 am

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
Capitol hillbilly wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:Lewis & Clark 1L here if anyone has any questions.

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions! I'm starting to browse the craigslist ads for housing, any suggestions for someone who wants to commute to school by bicycle? How is biking between the SE and L&C? Seems like that sellwood bridge might be tricky.
Since the school's environmental program is so highly regarded, does it seem like most people are seeking that certification? Is it more competitive than other certificate programs, like IP? Sorry if these sound like dumb questions! Looking forward to attending this fall. :P


I'm a little biased since I'm not a fan of the SE but a ton of students live there and don't have trouble getting back and forth to the school. Sellwood is a dangerous bridge but the big problem is that the city will be taking down the Sellwood Bridge to rebuild it starting near the end of the year I believe. That will make getting back and forth super inconvenient. Multnomah Village and the surrounding areas will be easier for biking but perhaps not as cheap on rent as the SE.

The certificates aren't really competitive per se. You just have to have a good enough GPA, take the appropriate classes and write the appropriate papers. Lots of people do the E-law cert but I've never heard anyone complain about not being able to get into the classes they need. They've held a few meetings to help students figure out the process for curriculum planning actually.

Hope that helps!

That is very helpful, glad to know about that bridge! You said that you are moving to Eugene- are you moving to Eugene in order to transfer to University of Oregon after your first year at L&C? DETAILS!

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:52 am

lsatdalek wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
Capitol hillbilly wrote:
I'm a little biased since I'm not a fan of the SE but a ton of students live there and don't have trouble getting back and forth to the school. Sellwood is a dangerous bridge but the big problem is that the city will be taking down the Sellwood Bridge to rebuild it starting near the end of the year I believe. That will make getting back and forth super inconvenient. Multnomah Village and the surrounding areas will be easier for biking but perhaps not as cheap on rent as the SE.

The certificates aren't really competitive per se. You just have to have a good enough GPA, take the appropriate classes and write the appropriate papers. Lots of people do the E-law cert but I've never heard anyone complain about not being able to get into the classes they need. They've held a few meetings to help students figure out the process for curriculum planning actually.

Hope that helps!


Not going to L & C, but the bridges in Portland have always freaked me out... they seemed very easy to accidentally drive off of...has this ever happened?


Haha, I've never really been freaked out about the bridges in a car. Although a couple are definitely old and a minor earthquake away from finding the bottom of the Willamette River. What I like most about Portland's bridges is that they are all very different from eachother. In Chicago, for example, all the downtown bridges look a like to me.



--LinkRemoved--

Portland's bridges are beautiful to look at from the waterfront. Even walking on it when there are little cars can be pretty rad. But, there are definitely some bridges that are an earthquake away from breaking.

I'm also not too sure how a bridge can be rated 2 out 100 but still be considered "safe to drive on."


Engineers love it when laypeople freak out over scary-sounding technical numbers they don't understand. (ZOMG RADIATION!!!11!11)

The sufficiency rating doesn’t necessarily indicate a bridge’s ability to carry traffic loads. It helps determine which bridges may need repair or replacement, not which bridges could collapse.

A bridge’s sufficiency rating affects its eligibility for federal funding for maintenance, rehabilitation, or replacement activities. For bridges to qualify for federal replacement funds, they must have a rating of 50 or below. To qualify for federal rehabilitation funding, a bridge must have a sufficiency rating of 80 or below.
(From the Kansas Dept. of Transportation, because that's what google gave me)

The sufficiency rating includes a lot of factors that have fuck-all to do with whether it can hold up a car or not. Things like the width of the approach road, the number of lanes, the length of the detour that would be required if the bridge were taken out of service, and the height of the bridge over the water. So a bridge could probably score very low and still be 100% structurally sound. (Not saying the Sellwood doesn't need to be replaced, but there are other factors at work here--like it being ridiculously undersized to serve the insane amount of traffic it gets--in addition to its age and condition.)

clintone88
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby clintone88 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:16 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Engineers love it when laypeople freak out over scary-sounding technical numbers they don't understand. (ZOMG RADIATION!!!11!11)



Not sure I would say engineers love when laypeople freak out over words like radiation. Maybe laugh quietly to themselves, roll their eyes, and wish they had a typed up explanation of why 3 mile island wasn't that big of a deal that they could just hand out to people instead of going into a speech every time.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:20 am

clintone88 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Engineers love it when laypeople freak out over scary-sounding technical numbers they don't understand. (ZOMG RADIATION!!!11!11)



Not sure I would say engineers love when laypeople freak out over words like radiation. Maybe laugh quietly to themselves, roll their eyes, and wish they had a typed up explanation of why 3 mile island wasn't that big of a deal that they could just hand out to people instead of going into a speech every time.


"love" was typed with intense sarcasm by this engineer. :)
My favorite is explaining to people how that $3 bottle of water didn't have to meet the same water quality standards that the "yucky" water coming out of their faucet did.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:32 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
clintone88 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Engineers love it when laypeople freak out over scary-sounding technical numbers they don't understand. (ZOMG RADIATION!!!11!11)



Not sure I would say engineers love when laypeople freak out over words like radiation. Maybe laugh quietly to themselves, roll their eyes, and wish they had a typed up explanation of why 3 mile island wasn't that big of a deal that they could just hand out to people instead of going into a speech every time.


"love" was typed with intense sarcasm by this engineer. :)
My favorite is explaining to people how that $3 bottle of water didn't have to meet the same water quality standards that the "yucky" water coming out of their faucet did.


It's true that bottled water does not have to meet similar criteria to tap water but there is a standard and a great majority of bottled water is of a higher quality than tap water will ever be, especially in the US.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:43 am

IHaveLawyers wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
clintone88 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Engineers love it when laypeople freak out over scary-sounding technical numbers they don't understand. (ZOMG RADIATION!!!11!11)



Not sure I would say engineers love when laypeople freak out over words like radiation. Maybe laugh quietly to themselves, roll their eyes, and wish they had a typed up explanation of why 3 mile island wasn't that big of a deal that they could just hand out to people instead of going into a speech every time.


"love" was typed with intense sarcasm by this engineer. :)
My favorite is explaining to people how that $3 bottle of water didn't have to meet the same water quality standards that the "yucky" water coming out of their faucet did.


It's true that bottled water does not have to meet similar criteria to tap water but there is a standard and a great majority of bottled water is of a higher quality than tap water will ever be, especially in the US.


The studies done on bottled water have shown some truly icky results, and the FDA rules regulating bottled are less stringent in many ways than the EPA rules governing tap water. (Not to mention that the FDA isn't exactly putting a staff of thousands on the job.)

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/exesum.asp

User avatar
Capitol hillbilly
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitol hillbilly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 am

rinkrat19 wrote:


"love" was typed with intense sarcasm by this engineer. :)
My favorite is explaining to people how that $3 bottle of water didn't have to meet the same water quality standards that the "yucky" water coming out of their faucet did.

It's true that bottled water does not have to meet similar criteria to tap water but there is a standard and a great majority of bottled water is of a higher quality than tap water will ever be, especially in the US.

The studies done on bottled water have shown some truly icky results, and the FDA rules regulating bottled are less stringent in many ways than the EPA rules governing tap water. (Not to mention that the FDA isn't exactly putting a staff of thousands on the job.)

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/exesum.asp


I actually like the (hijack alert) Brita filter for my (hijack alert) household water needs. It works great for (hijack alert).

plugkev
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby plugkev » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:16 am

Capitol hillbilly wrote:That is very helpful, glad to know about that bridge! You said that you are moving to Eugene- are you moving to Eugene in order to transfer to University of Oregon after your first year at L&C? DETAILS!


Nope, I am born and raised Portland and did not get into LC but got into UO. Will be 1L in Fall.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13914
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:53 am

Capitol hillbilly wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:


"love" was typed with intense sarcasm by this engineer. :)
My favorite is explaining to people how that $3 bottle of water didn't have to meet the same water quality standards that the "yucky" water coming out of their faucet did.

It's true that bottled water does not have to meet similar criteria to tap water but there is a standard and a great majority of bottled water is of a higher quality than tap water will ever be, especially in the US.

The studies done on bottled water have shown some truly icky results, and the FDA rules regulating bottled are less stringent in many ways than the EPA rules governing tap water. (Not to mention that the FDA isn't exactly putting a staff of thousands on the job.)

http://www.nrdc.org/water/drinking/bw/exesum.asp


I actually like the (hijack alert) Brita filter for my (hijack alert) household water needs. It works great for (hijack alert).


Just make sure you replaced the filter at least as often as they recommend, and never let the filter sit touching the water in the pitcher.

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:37 pm

I've sent in my deposit at L & C.

Cornell or Michigan could've talked me out of it but Michigan waitlisted and Cornell apparently isn't speaking to me, so off we go to L&C.

I won't be biking to class, but I live in SW if anyone wants any info on that area, PM me. I'm a parent so anyone with family/school type questions, feel free to PM me!

User avatar
metallaura
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby metallaura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 am

Just told L&C I'm not attending. Hope someone on the WL gets my spot! Good luck :D

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:16 am

metallaura wrote:Just told L&C I'm not attending. Hope someone on the WL gets my spot! Good luck :D


im on the WL, thank you so much!

PleaseBelieve52
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby PleaseBelieve52 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:26 am

sidhesadie wrote:I've sent in my deposit at L & C.

Cornell or Michigan could've talked me out of it but Michigan waitlisted and Cornell apparently isn't speaking to me, so off we go to L&C.





Same boat here. WL at Michigan, WL at Minnesota, WL at Tulane (disappointing), and Cornell is MIA.

I got $$$ for Temple, and asked L&C to reconsider for a scholarship. The two are very close in ranking so it might come down to money. What do you guys think?

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:32 am

PleaseBelieve52 wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:I've sent in my deposit at L & C.

Cornell or Michigan could've talked me out of it but Michigan waitlisted and Cornell apparently isn't speaking to me, so off we go to L&C.





Same boat here. WL at Michigan, WL at Minnesota, WL at Tulane (disappointing), and Cornell is MIA.

I got $$$ for Temple, and asked L&C to reconsider for a scholarship. The two are very close in ranking so it might come down to money. What do you guys think?

I think Temple is in a little better market, no?

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby firemed » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:06 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:
PleaseBelieve52 wrote:



Same boat here. WL at Michigan, WL at Minnesota, WL at Tulane (disappointing), and Cornell is MIA.

I got $$$ for Temple, and asked L&C to reconsider for a scholarship. The two are very close in ranking so it might come down to money. What do you guys think?

I think Temple is in a little better market, no?


Temple is probably second in the Philly market from what I understand. And a lot of Penn graduates leave I hear. Might be a better choice, depending. If they had offered me $$$ I would've strongly considered them.

PleaseBelieve52
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:55 pm

Postby PleaseBelieve52 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:51 pm

firemed wrote:
IHaveLawyers wrote:
PleaseBelieve52 wrote:



Same boat here. WL at Michigan, WL at Minnesota, WL at Tulane (disappointing), and Cornell is MIA.

I got $$$ for Temple, and asked L&C to reconsider for a scholarship. The two are very close in ranking so it might come down to money. What do you guys think?

I think Temple is in a little better market, no?


Temple is probably second in the Philly market from what I understand. And a lot of Penn graduates leave I hear. Might be a better choice, depending. If they had offered me $$$ I would've strongly considered them.


I have also heard good things about Temples reputation in and around Philly. Then again, the same thing can be said with L&C in Portland. I am a Cali kid, so got to decide if I want to leave the west coast (never been to Philly) thus making the L&C v Temple harder. Plus, that L&C campus is awe inspiring! Decisions, decisions...

On another note, anyone here still waiting to hear from schools? It's about to be May and I am still waiting to hear from like 6 schools! Deposits are already due, WTF?

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby sidhesadie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:26 pm

L&C is very well regarded in Oregon, so if you want to stay out here, I'd definitely see if you can't get scholly money out of L&C. I know a number of people who got schollys on here have withdrawn so some should be freed up. I got a hefty scholarship at L&C, and I got waitlisted everywhere that was ranked highly enough to counter that (except the aforementioned silence from Cornell, which was a long shot anyway, but the lack of decision after 133 days is obnoxious.) I'm waitlisted at 5 schools. Pfft.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby Tim0thy222 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:08 pm

I got an email the day before yesterday from L&C explaining that since I did not put down a seat deposit, they'll assume I'm withdrawing unless I tell them otherwise. They probably sent that email out to a lot of people, many of whom (such as myself) had scholarship.

So, maybe something's freed up for anyone here still hoping to get off the waitlist or get some scholarship!

User avatar
twozeroseven
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby twozeroseven » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:17 pm

PleaseBelieve52 wrote:
Same boat here. WL at Michigan, WL at Minnesota, WL at Tulane (disappointing), and Cornell is MIA.



Wow. I guess schools really are looking at different qualities. I got vice versa, in with scholarship at Tulane and waitlisted at L&C.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby firemed » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:10 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
PleaseBelieve52 wrote:
Same boat here. WL at Michigan, WL at Minnesota, WL at Tulane (disappointing), and Cornell is MIA.



Wow. I guess schools really are looking at different qualities. I got vice versa, in with scholarship at Tulane and waitlisted at L&C.



Weird! I got ding at Tulane and scholly at L&C. Damn Tulane... I really wanted to go there too.

User avatar
twozeroseven
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby twozeroseven » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:19 am

firemed wrote:
Weird! I got ding at Tulane and scholly at L&C. Damn Tulane... I really wanted to go there too.


I was somewhat surprised. Wanna switch? Too bad the ABA or the LSAC, in all their wisdom, hasn't created an open market for us to trade acceptances and schollys.
Last edited by twozeroseven on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby firemed » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:56 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
firemed wrote:
Weird! I got ding at Tulane and scholly at L&C. Damn Tulane... I really wanted to go there too.


I was somewhat surprised. Wanna switch? Too bad the ABA or the LSAC, in all their wisdom, hasn't created an open market for us to trade acceptances and schollys.



Yeah... WTF? I mean... open market right?

You know what I would do if that was the case though? I would totally take someone who got both a Harvard and Yale acceptances and "trade" $50,000 for whichever one they didn't want. Sigh.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: canafsa, ellielaw, Google [Bot], okf731, spursforever, taxman14 and 13 guests