Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
clintone88
Posts: 117
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:10 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby clintone88 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:39 pm

Just logged into the admitted students site for the first time after trying 10 times a day since people started talking about it on here :D

Now just waiting for UWash and (hopefully) scholly info for /cycle

GentlemanJim
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby GentlemanJim » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:23 pm

Was just able to log into the admitted students website! Guess that's a good sign?? Been out of town for a month so I haven't been able to check my mail.

User avatar
Pink
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:18 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby Pink » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:31 pm

In w/18k!

Have to admit, I'm a little bummed...thought I'd get a better offer than that. Eh well.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:48 pm

In via admitted students website a few days ago and received admittance packet today. Scholarship of a little over $30K a year :D ! More than I was expecting.

I really like the idea of attending the preview day(s), especially given the travel reimbursement.

Best of luck to those still waiting! L&C is a beautiful school and will definitely be in contention for me.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:56 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:In via admitted students website a few days ago and received admittance packet today. Scholarship of a little over $30K a year :D ! More than I was expecting.

I really like the idea of attending the preview day(s), especially given the travel reimbursement.

Best of luck to those still waiting! L&C is a beautiful school and will definitely be in contention for me.


Oh wait, just realized Law School Preview days are on Thurs & Friday :? --got to work. Bummer :( .

sidhesadie
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:07 pm

Finally able to log into admitted students site (YAY!) I couldn't as of Thursday... now the wait to see if there's a scholarship offer that makes it worthwhile! :)

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13291
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I probably won't end up at L&C. That being said, if anyone visits and ends up liking the NW area, near all the bars on 21st, I have a cute (lease free!) apt, in a small building that has a waiting list. I know the landlord and could probably get someone into mine ahead of the list when I leave. :wink:

User avatar
Kinderby
Posts: 426
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby Kinderby » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:16 pm

JenDarby wrote:I probably won't end up at L&C. That being said, if anyone visits and ends up liking the NW area, near all the bars on 21st, I have a cute (lease free!) apt, in a small building that has a waiting list. I know the landlord and could probably get someone into mine ahead of the list when I leave. :wink:

Waiting to hear first, but will definitely keep that in mind!

User avatar
fiery_searcher
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby fiery_searcher » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:45 am

sidhesadie wrote:Finally able to log into admitted students site (YAY!) I couldn't as of Thursday... now the wait to see if there's a scholarship offer that makes it worthwhile! :)


Ditto! :D

katjust
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby katjust » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:13 pm

tsutsik wrote:Any current L & S law students checking in?

Can you comment on the rate at which tuition has increased over recent years and what - if anything - you've heard about tuition for next year?



Current 2L, It increased from about $31,000 to $35,000 from year 1 to year 2. However, they did give all current students (not new admits) a scholarship to cover some of the increase. I don't know how much tuition will be next year, but they did have their largest class ever this past year so maybe that will make it so the increase will not be as harsh.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby snapdragon » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:13 pm

In with $5000k/year. A little disappointed with the scholarship, to be perfectly honest.

User avatar
Spack
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby Spack » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:33 pm

fiery_searcher wrote:
sidhesadie wrote:Finally able to log into admitted students site (YAY!) I couldn't as of Thursday... now the wait to see if there's a scholarship offer that makes it worthwhile! :)


Ditto! :D


Me too! I couldn't on Thursday either and I wasn't expecting to get in at all! High five!

tsutsik
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby tsutsik » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:30 pm

katjust wrote:
tsutsik wrote:Any current L & S law students checking in?

Can you comment on the rate at which tuition has increased over recent years and what - if anything - you've heard about tuition for next year?



Current 2L, It increased from about $31,000 to $35,000 from year 1 to year 2. However, they did give all current students (not new admits) a scholarship to cover some of the increase. I don't know how much tuition will be next year, but they did have their largest class ever this past year so maybe that will make it so the increase will not be as harsh.


Thank for the info. That's helpful.

GentlemanJim
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby GentlemanJim » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:25 pm

In with decent $. Very much considering this.

The Pendulum
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby The Pendulum » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:10 pm

katjust wrote:Current 2L, It increased from about $31,000 to $35,000 from year 1 to year 2.


So with fees and expenses, that's about $55,000 over three years out of a 2T with a reported median salary of $62,000. That's more than a 2:1 debt to pre-tax income ratio, assuming you find a job. It makes even the larger scholarships they're handing out look like peanuts.

JayWilTheBoat
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:47 pm

The Pendulum wrote:
katjust wrote:Current 2L, It increased from about $31,000 to $35,000 from year 1 to year 2.


So with fees and expenses, that's about $55,000 over three years out of a 2T with a reported median salary of $62,000. That's more than a 2:1 debt to pre-tax income ratio, assuming you find a job. It makes even the larger scholarships they're handing out look like peanuts.


The overall median for most schools are unfavorable. LC private sector median is 95k. It may not be ranked very high, but for those who want to work in Portland, it makes sense.

The Pendulum
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby The Pendulum » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:37 pm

What percentage of students get private employment and what were the GPAs/age/honors of those who self-reported a median salary or more is the question. Do you have the data from Career Services that they don't publish on their site?

JayWilTheBoat
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:02 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby JayWilTheBoat » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:26 pm

The Pendulum wrote:What percentage of students get private employment and what were the GPAs/age/honors of those who self-reported a median salary or more is the question. Do you have the data from Career Services that they don't publish on their site?


You have a point. If you look at the educational background of associates at law firms in Portland, a large number of them are LC grads, but they typically graduated with honors or were on law review. That's a function of Portland's relatively small BigLaw market, though. In addition to a small BigLaw market, their starting figures are more likely to be around 100k than the 150k+ jobs that you would find in larger markets. Most attorney's in this area are LC grads, and I guess my bigger point is that if you want to work in this market, going to LC is a solid way to hedge your bets.

The Pendulum
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby The Pendulum » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:35 pm

I understand. It comes off as evasive that L&C doesn't publish their full employment survey results online and you have to specifically request it. Like they're massaging the data.

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby masochist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:11 pm

Um, did anyone else's status checker go backwards?

I went from "under review" to "file complete" this morning.

Seriously L+C!?!

katjust
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:49 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby katjust » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:21 pm

The Pendulum wrote:
katjust wrote:Current 2L, It increased from about $31,000 to $35,000 from year 1 to year 2.


So with fees and expenses, that's about $55,000 over three years out of a 2T with a reported median salary of $62,000. That's more than a 2:1 debt to pre-tax income ratio, assuming you find a job. It makes even the larger scholarships they're handing out look like peanuts.




Not to defend going into that kind of debt, but L&C is basically the same as almost every other law school (esp. private or out of state) in the debt to income ratio.

The Pendulum
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby The Pendulum » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:51 pm

masochist wrote:Um, did anyone else's status checker go backwards?

I went from "under review" to "file complete" this morning.

Seriously L+C!?!


It just means they're done reviewing the application.

It's 4 stages:
Application package assembled
Application sent to review
Decision made
Decision mailed

The date changes and the status says "file complete" after each stage.

User avatar
masochist
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby masochist » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:20 pm

The Pendulum wrote:
masochist wrote:Um, did anyone else's status checker go backwards?

I went from "under review" to "file complete" this morning.

Seriously L+C!?!


It just means they're done reviewing the application.

It's 4 stages:
Application package assembled
Application sent to review
Decision made
Decision mailed

The date changes and the status says "file complete" after each stage.


Thanks. That is a relief. It would be nice if there were some uniformity between status checkers' terminology.

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby crit_racer » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Submitted over the weekend. Hoping to get in, but I'm a splitter so you never know. I really want L&C, though...

williammmc
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby williammmc » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:54 pm

The pendulum, you seem to be severely against L&C. What is your beef with it? I am interested to know both sides of the law school's coin as a prospective applicant.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: brinicolec, curry1, Long shot hero, mike90018, Purple Post It Note and 20 guests