Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sidhesadie

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby sidhesadie » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Interestingly, driving up here wasn't so awful until all the Californians moved here. They're overwhelmingly the ones who can't drive in rain, can't figure out how to merge, and not realizing that the left lane is only for passing.

If you see someone actually obeying (or under) the 55mph limit, chances are they did NOT learn how to drive here. We think of the speed limit as a friendly suggestion, since it's so low.

+1

I've lived in Oregon my entire life, apart from a brief stint in Alaska, and I can assure you that it's actually the newly minted oregonians (ie, Californians) who can't drive in the rain and become terrified the moment the temp drops below freezing and/or something resembling rain or snow hits the windshield. The influx of Californians in 2004-2008 was HUGE and a very large % of them were new retirees.

Native Oregonians are the ones heaving a deep sigh as they weave around all the people who abandoned their vehicles because it snowed an inch.

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:19 pm

sidhesadie wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Interestingly, driving up here wasn't so awful until all the Californians moved here. They're overwhelmingly the ones who can't drive in rain, can't figure out how to merge, and not realizing that the left lane is only for passing.

If you see someone actually obeying (or under) the 55mph limit, chances are they did NOT learn how to drive here. We think of the speed limit as a friendly suggestion, since it's so low.

+1

I've lived in Oregon my entire life, apart from a brief stint in Alaska, and I can assure you that it's actually the newly minted oregonians (ie, Californians) who can't drive in the rain and become terrified the moment the temp drops below freezing and/or something resembling rain or snow hits the windshield. The influx of Californians in 2004-2008 was HUGE and a very large % of them were new retirees.

Native Oregonians are the ones heaving a deep sigh as they weave around all the people who abandoned their vehicles because it snowed an inch.

you're kidding about the driving, right? in california, you don't see folks driving the same speed as the left lane as folks in the right lane. this type of ridiculous driving is something i witnessed in the midwest. on real highways (US101) folks drive faster in the left lane. this is how californians drive.

on a side note, oregonians should be blessed to be in the presence of former californians. i understand californians drove up real estate prices up, but they also brought with them the rule of law, freedom, the English language, and order.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:31 pm

^ +1

If you're in CA you better be going at least ten over the speed limit (meaning 75 plus) if you're in the fast lane, or you are going to be subjected to some major road rage. Also, when it POURS it CA, people continue to drive 80 on the freeway, they certainly DO NOT slow down.

ect88

Postby ect88 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:44 pm

Can we all just agree that nobody anywhere knows how to properly drive?

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:53 pm

ect88 wrote:Can we all just agree that nobody anywhere knows how to properly drive?

Then what will we talk about while admissions offices are closed...something actually relevant to law school? That's ridiculous.

ect88

Postby ect88 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:11 pm

JenDarby wrote:
ect88 wrote:Can we all just agree that nobody anywhere knows how to properly drive?

Then what will we talk about while admissions offices are closed...something actually relevant to law school? That's ridiculous.

I see your point. Carry on.

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:56 pm

I think you missed a critical point of my post. "A very large % of them (the californians who moved here) were new retirees"

Seniors drive slowly everywhere, even if they are from California.

Further, I think Washington drivers are inarguably the worst, and all my friends and family in Washington agree, lol.

And sorry, Californians in my town brought snobbishness, bad attitudes, absurdly bad driving in the wintertime (where I lived we had snow, LOTS of snow) and didn't just 'drive up' real estate prices, the broke the freaking market.
They brought nothing of value except an increase in good restaurants. (All of which closed after they broke the market).

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:00 pm

JenDarby wrote:^ +1

If you're in CA you better be going at least ten over the speed limit (meaning 75 plus) if you're in the fast lane, or you are going to be subjected to some major road rage. Also, when it POURS it CA, people continue to drive 80 on the freeway, they certainly DO NOT slow down.

Really? My friends parents lived in Pleasanton and the last time we drove to visit them, it started pouring (I mean, POURING) on the freeway and people slowed down and a large number of them pulled over, we were delighted because it cleared traffic as we passed them all.

I will say, when the weather is clear in CA, you guys do drive FAST in every lane. Faster than here, but that's partly because our speed limit is 10-15 mph lower than yours to begin with. Everyone knows in Oregon that if you're under 70 you won't get a ticket most of the time, if you hit 70 or above (15mph over speed limit) you will get tagged bc the ticket fee goes up substantially at 15mph+ over the speed limit. That's why you'll see so many people with the cc set at 69 in the 55.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:43 pm

I will agree though, WA drivers are even worse than OR drivers.
Last edited by JenDarby on Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

orangefanta

Postby orangefanta » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:18 am

I applied to Lewis and Clark today, very late, I know. I have an LSAC package (LORs) and LSAT score left over from when I applied to schools but ended up not attending years ago.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take for my application to go complete?

My numbers are 3.79/166. Does any have an idea if this is good enough for an admission ticket even at this late date? I hope that if I do get in, there's some financial aid left in the pot. I really want to go to L&C, it's my first choice.

ect88

Postby ect88 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 am

orangefanta wrote:I applied to Lewis and Clark today, very late, I know. I have an LSAC package (LORs) and LSAT score left over from when I applied to schools but ended up not attending years ago.

Does anyone have an idea of how long it will take for my application to go complete?

My numbers are 3.79/166. Does any have an idea if this is good enough for an admission ticket even at this late date? I hope that if I do get in, there's some financial aid left in the pot. I really want to go to L&C, it's my first choice.

Based on those numbers, I would think you're pretty much good for admission. While applying today isn't necessarily early, I wouldn't call it late, either. This forum has a habit of making you think that if you didn't get a 170+ LSAT or apply on the very first day applications were open, you're going to fail miserably in life.

orangefanta

Postby orangefanta » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:49 am

Thanks. Any idea about financial aid? I saw someone upthread say something about applying too late to get financial aid. LSN doesn't seem to have any data for last year for apps sent after Thanksgiving.

ect88

Postby ect88 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:52 am

orangefanta wrote:Thanks. Any idea about financial aid? I saw someone upthread say something about applying too late to get financial aid. LSN doesn't seem to have any data for last year for apps sent after Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure on financial aid. It would seem that L&C hasn't sent out terribly many decisions yet in the first place, let alone scholarship offers. We're all nervously waiting with you!

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:04 am

ect88 wrote:
orangefanta wrote:Thanks. Any idea about financial aid? I saw someone upthread say something about applying too late to get financial aid. LSN doesn't seem to have any data for last year for apps sent after Thanksgiving.

I'm not sure on financial aid. It would seem that L&C hasn't sent out terribly many decisions yet in the first place, let alone scholarship offers. We're all nervously waiting with you!

+1

I think your chances are very good all around.
Last edited by JenDarby on Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:55 am

did anybody submit the optional merit scholarship statement? they were the only app that asked for something like that. what did you mention?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:38 pm

mistermister wrote:did anybody submit the optional merit scholarship statement? they were the only app that asked for something like that. what did you mention?

I had a meeting with an adcomm and she recommended that I do the essay, and gave me suggestions on what to write. I said stuff about how I've worked in both the public and private sectors and have preferred working for the government because it feels more useful, and that my goal after LS is to work for a government (fed/state/local/whatever) in some capacity again. And since government jobs don't pay as much as corporate/firm jobs, my goal will be more possible if I am not saddled with kajillions in student loans. Bigger scholly => the world gets ME working for the public good. :P

deja

Postby deja » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Has anybody noticed any correlation between the current status date updating on the status checker and anything else (like letters being mailed out, etc.)? Mine has updated twice now, although the status has remained 'application file complete.' I know what the website says about it, but just wanted to tap the vast knowledge and discernment powers of TLSers to see if anyone knows what what a changing date really means.

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:06 pm

deja wrote:Has anybody noticed any correlation between the current status date updating on the status checker and anything else (like letters being mailed out, etc.)? Mine has updated twice now, although the status has remained 'application file complete.' I know what the website says about it, but just wanted to tap the vast knowledge and discernment powers of TLSers to see if anyone knows what what a changing date really means.

I have not but can add this data set to your inquiry:

11/16/10 - Application File Complete
12/1/10 - Application File Complete (date changed)
12/9/10 - Application File Complete (date changed)
1/3/11 - Application File Complete (date changed)

I have not received a yes or no from L&C. I have however gotten 3 view-books and two other mailings.

masochist

Postby masochist » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:09 pm

djjf39 wrote:
deja wrote:Has anybody noticed any correlation between the current status date updating on the status checker and anything else (like letters being mailed out, etc.)? Mine has updated twice now, although the status has remained 'application file complete.' I know what the website says about it, but just wanted to tap the vast knowledge and discernment powers of TLSers to see if anyone knows what what a changing date really means.

I have not but can add this data set to your inquiry:

11/16/10 - Application File Complete
12/1/10 - Application File Complete (date changed)
12/9/10 - Application File Complete (date changed)
1/3/11 - Application File Complete (date changed)

I have not received a yes or no from L&C. I have however gotten 3 view-books and two other mailings.

If I get one more viewbook I am going to make my own viewbook out of construction paper, crayons, and facebook photos and mail them one in return.

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:16 pm

masochist wrote:
If I get one more viewbook I am going to make my own viewbook out of construction paper, crayons, and facebook photos and mail them one in return.

As long as you put it in a big white, misleading envelope that sounds like fair game to me

Pink

Postby Pink » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:28 pm

New complete date - 1/3/2011.

L & C, you're killing me!

masochist

Postby masochist » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:33 pm

My status finally updated to 1/3. :D

Maybe it was my threat to turn the tables and mail them a viewbook that inspired movement. Don't stop now, L and C. I still have crayons and construction paper, and I am not afraid to use them.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:42 pm

I never actually read the bit on the top of the status checker page until just now, it really does a good job ensuring that once you're complete you will have no idea when or how to expect a decision.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:46 pm

zomg, updated to 1/3!!!

It's sad how much power one little uninformative date on a computer screen has over us.

I guess the adcomms are back at work this week. About damn time! :P

If the info I got from that phone call before Christmas is accurate, nothing will be mailed out until the week of the 17th. (Of course, they also told me that the first few offers would go out the week after Christmas, not the week before Christmas, so the source is a little suspect.)

Keep your construction paper and crayons handy. I have some glitter and Elmer's Glue you can borrow.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:51 pm

I updated to 1/3 as well, but that disclaimer on the top that date updates could mean pretty much anything diminished my excitement I had about it. :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”