Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BackToTheOldHouse

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:27 pm

shoteka wrote:In with 16,000 a year!

Congrats! I'm guessing you received this info via regular mail? Also, when did you go complete?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:14 pm

Nice big envelope in the mailbox tonight...from Alabama. (If there's a state I'm less likely to move to, I can't think of it.) Somewhere, the law school gods and/or the mail gods are having a good laugh at me. :x

It then occurred to me to wonder whether I'll find out about my application to the part-time program at the same time everyone starts getting their acceptances to the full-time program. Anyone have a clue?

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:44 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Nice big envelope in the mailbox tonight...from Alabama. (If there's a state I'm less likely to move to, I can't think of it.) Somewhere, the law school gods and/or the mail gods are having a good laugh at me. :x

It then occurred to me to wonder whether I'll find out about my application to the part-time program at the same time everyone starts getting their acceptances to the full-time program. Anyone have a clue?

lol. Don't know about the PT question, but I got the exact same Alabama envelope yesterday! I need to get a life and stop greeting the mailman at the driveway . . .

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:47 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Nice big envelope in the mailbox tonight...from Alabama. (If there's a state I'm less likely to move to, I can't think of it.) Somewhere, the law school gods and/or the mail gods are having a good laugh at me. :x

I got a package from Alabama too inviting me to apply...despite the fact that I applied the first week of November. Hmmm.

Also received an acceptance package from L&C with a $19k in scholarship!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:49 pm

oscodasa wrote:

I got a package from Alabama too inviting me to apply...despite the fact that I applied the first week of November. Hmmm.

Do you mind sharing your numbers? (Never mind, I see you on LSN.) Since apparently hell is going to freeze over before I get an offer, I'm driving myself crazy trying to predict what it'll be with other peoples' stats.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:53 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
oscodasa wrote:

Do you mind sharing your numbers? Since apparently hell is going to freeze over before I get an offer, I'm driving myself crazy trying to predict what it'll be with other peoples' stats.

Not at all - 3.46/170. I applied in early November and went complete late the same month.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:55 pm

oscodasa wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
oscodasa wrote:

Do you mind sharing your numbers? Since apparently hell is going to freeze over before I get an offer, I'm driving myself crazy trying to predict what it'll be with other peoples' stats.

Not at all - 3.46/170. I applied in early November and went complete late the same month.

Well, congrats. Your numbers are darn close to mine... except I'm applying to PT, so who knows how that affects it. This waiting is starting to piss me off, actually. At least waiting for the LSAT score, everyone's waiting the same length of time!

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:59 pm

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about - good luck!

fglass

Postby fglass » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:19 am

Just came home to my acceptance packet - mailed on Dec. 22. $31k dean's scholarship and a $400 admitted students' weekend travel/lodging reimbursement offer. Fantastic!

(3.72, 170, app complete on 10/17)

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:21 am

L&C messed with me hard today. I got home, and the ONLY thing in the mailbox was a big white envelope from them. At last! I opened it up right in the mailroom, so pleased that my acceptance had made it here, wondering if I there was maybe a scholarship notice tucked in, and.. I got a viewbook :(

Well played, L&C. Well played.

deja

Postby deja » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:08 pm

snapdragon wrote:L&C messed with me hard today. I got home, and the ONLY thing in the mailbox was a big white envelope from them. At last! I opened it up right in the mailroom, so pleased that my acceptance had made it here, wondering if I there was maybe a scholarship notice tucked in, and.. I got a viewbook :(

Well played, L&C. Well played.

Someone at L&C admissions, riding the lollercoaster at your expense... :D

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:16 pm

fglass wrote:Just came home to my acceptance packet - mailed on Dec. 22. $31k dean's scholarship and a $400 admitted students' weekend travel/lodging reimbursement offer. Fantastic!

(3.72, 170, app complete on 10/17)

+1 on the travel reimbursement; I didn't find it in the packet until late last night and was ecstatic upon the discovery!

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:03 pm

Quick question the answer to which might help me to keep from (or cause me to start) going crazy. It is related to a packet I received in the mail today from L&C:

For those of you admitted, was there a letter in addition to your acceptance letter? Was the additional letter from Shannon Davis, Assistant Dean of Admissions? Does she mention a "Practical Skills" brochure that is included? Maybe she mentions another brochure?

Your answers would be greatly appreciated . . . :?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:15 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Quick question the answer to which might help me to keep from (or cause me to start) going crazy. It is related to a packet I received in the mail today from L&C:

For those of you admitted, was there a letter in addition to your acceptance letter? Was the additional letter from the Shannon Davis, Assistant Dean of Admissions? Does she mention a "Practical Skills" brochure that is included? Maybe she mentions another brochure?

Your answers would be greatly appreciated . . .

I got the Practical Skills brochure and a letter from someone (can't remember who) a while back, but it was most definitely not with an acceptance letter. That was all that was in the packet.

oscodasa

Postby oscodasa » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:17 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Quick question the answer to which might help me to keep from (or cause me to start) going crazy. It is related to a packet I received in the mail today from L&C:

For those of you admitted, was there a letter in addition to your acceptance letter? Was the additional letter from Shannon Davis, Assistant Dean of Admissions? Does she mention a "Practical Skills" brochure that is included? Maybe she mentions another brochure?

I have a letter from her but it's not in relation to a practical skills brochure.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:22 pm

oscodasa wrote:

I have a letter from her but it's not in relation to a practical skills brochure.
rinkrat19 wrote:
I got the Practical Skills brochure and a letter from someone (can't remember who) a while back, but it was most definitely not with an acceptance letter. That was all that was in the packet.

I received this letter and brochure today! This is after receiving the viewbook and invitation to apply several weeks after I had already applied. I was almost certain today's package was a decision :evil:

Not to sound ungrateful, but the timing of these mailings from this school are really starting to piss me off . . .

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:06 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I received this letter and brochure today! This is after receiving the viewbook and invitation to apply several weeks after I had already applied. I was almost certain today's package was a decision :evil:

Not to sound ungrateful, but the timing of these mailings from this school are really starting to piss me off . . .

I've only gotten one acceptance letter (Indiana), but I would think it would be pretty unambiguous. It should say yes, 'you are accepted and this is how much scholly money we're offering' in the first couple of sentences. The letter from Shannon Davis that came with the Practical Skills brochure is definitely not an acceptance letter. (That doesn't rule out that it could be mailed with an acceptance packet.)

As for pissed off, I'm way ahead of you. It'll all be forgiven when I get my letter, but holy crap am I getting annoyed with the endless mailings of shit I already had several copies of, and the trickle of acceptances BEFORE they said they even mailed out the first ones. (And I know it sounds selfish to say so, but all the acceptances so far are people with numbers either very close to or slightly below mine...what gives, L&C?! Where's MY letter??)

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:20 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:I received this letter and brochure today! This is after receiving the viewbook and invitation to apply several weeks after I had already applied. I was almost certain today's package was a decision :evil:

I've only gotten one acceptance letter (Indiana), but I would think it would be pretty unambiguous. It should say yes, 'you are accepted and this is how much scholly money we're offering' in the first couple of sentences. The letter from Shannon Davis that came with the Practical Skills brochure is definitely not an acceptance letter. (That doesn't rule out that it could be mailed with an acceptance packet.)

As for pissed off, I'm way ahead of you. It'll all be forgiven when I get my letter, but holy crap am I getting annoyed with the endless mailings of shit I already had several copies of, and the trickle of acceptances BEFORE they said they even mailed out the first ones. (And I know it sounds selfish to say so, but all the acceptances so far are people with numbers either very close to or slightly below mine...what gives, L&C?! Where's MY letter??)

Definitely the bolded above. I knew this wasn't an acceptance letter itself, but because of the timing and due to the vague wording of the letter itself (the letter doesn't forthrightly invite me to apply), I thought the office might have screwed up and forgot to include an acceptance/denial letter in the envelope.

Oh well, whatev's. Probably shouldn't have assumed anything given the weird mailings L&C has been doing this cycle.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:24 pm

I forget I applied here, since I've never posted in this thread. I live a couple miles from campus and am yet to visit....one of these days.
Last edited by JenDarby on Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spack

Postby Spack » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:32 pm

I got a large envelope with a brochure from them today. When I saw it in my mom's hand I almost snatched it out and when I opened it to see a brochure I was really let down.

djjf39

Postby djjf39 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:24 pm

Just got the practical skills packet, what a let down.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:24 pm

Nothing again today. I wish I could just forget about it entirely.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm extremely late on this, but can't help add my experience about driving in Portland....NW are on the whole the worst drivers I've ever experienced. Having lived in over a handful of states across the country I feel solid in this opinion. If the speed limit is 55, they feel comfortable going 50 in the fast lane, despite signs every few miles that say "slow traffic keep right." The fact that they need those signs everywhere here, and people still insist on driving below, the already low, limits is obnoxious. Portland is a nice place, and you'll see it when drivers slow down to dangerously low speeds to be "courteous" and let people in, the lack of aggressive driving here frequently slows traffic. Also, most people in Oregon forget how to drive in the rain after just one sunny day, slowing down for even the lightest drizzle.

I'll end my rant about NW drivers there. As far as the weather goes, I lived in San Diego immediately before Portland, and adapted to the constant rain and gloom quickly. It doesn't pour that often, but there is at least a consistent drizzle for months on end. This past summer there was hardly a week where it didn't rain, though the nice days ARE nice.

On the plus side, it costs $86 to register your car for TWO years (up from 55), whereas in CA it was more than twice that for one year. No sales tax is also a plus. Inexpensive apartments downtown are easy to come by. I live in what is considered a very desirable area and pay less than half what I paid in CA. Overall I'd say there's a reason why the cost of living is so low in OR, for many people the weather and relative small size of the cities is a big enough turn off to avoid settling down here. For others, the rain doesn't bother them, and all of the outdoor activities and other aspects of Portland more than makes up for it.

If you haven't seen at least the clip for "portlandia" on IFC, you should check it out. It's filmed downtown, and humorously accurate.

*edit: The firm I work for has been involved in mediations with district judges in Eugene quite a bit recently, and it was quite a shock when the Judge said casual attire would be permitted over weekends, and he showed up to mediation in cargo shorts and a ducks t shirt. Oregon really is a laid back place...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:16 pm

JenDarby wrote:I'm extremely late on this, but can't help add my experience about driving in Portland....NW are on the whole the worst drivers I've ever experienced. Having lived in over a handful of states across the country I feel solid in this opinion. If the speed limit is 55, they feel comfortable going 50 in the fast lane, despite signs every few miles that say "slow traffic keep right." The fact that they need those signs everywhere here, and people still insist on driving below, the already low, limits is obnoxious. Portland is a nice place, and you'll see it when drivers slow down to dangerously low speeds to be "courteous" and let people in, the lack of aggressive driving here frequently slows traffic. Also, most people in Oregon forget how to drive in the rain after just one sunny day, slowing down for even the lightest drizzle.

I'll end my rant about NW drivers there. As far as the weather goes, I lived in San Diego immediately before Portland, and adapted to the constant rain and gloom quickly. It doesn't pour that often, but there is at least a consistent drizzle for months on end. This past summer there was hardly a week where it didn't rain, though the nice days ARE nice.

On the plus side, it costs $86 to register your car for TWO years (up from 55), whereas in CA it was more than twice that for one year. No sales tax is also a plus. Inexpensive apartments downtown are easy to come by. I live in what is considered a very desirable area and pay less than half what I paid in CA. Overall I'd say there's a reason why the cost of living is so low in OR, for many people the weather and relative small size of the cities is a big enough turn off to avoid settling down here. For others, the rain doesn't bother them, and all of the outdoor activities and other aspects of Portland more than makes up for it.

If you haven't seen at least the clip for "portlandia" on IFC, you should check it out. It's filmed downtown, and humorously accurate.

Interestingly, driving up here wasn't so awful until all the Californians moved here. They're overwhelmingly the ones who can't drive in rain, can't figure out how to merge, and not realizing that the left lane is only for passing.

If you see someone actually obeying (or under) the 55mph limit, chances are they did NOT learn how to drive here. We think of the speed limit as a friendly suggestion, since it's so low.

molazapuku

Postby molazapuku » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:36 pm

Anyone else think whoever is stuffing those envolopes just cant stop giggling over what they are doing to us? Heck, I would go hoarse from laughing maniacally. :twisted: :lol: :twisted:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”