Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
geoduck

Silver

Re: Lewis & Clark 2011 Applicants

Post by geoduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:19 pm

theavrock wrote:Also remember that not only do they have Oregon to do OCI in, those employers probably also do OCI in Northern California and Washington.

It did seem a little low, but I don't view L&C as the type of school anyone would go to expecting to get a job at OCI.

That being said I am still not at all worried about getting a job should I attend. They are the best school in the state and have many strengths. Will it be easy and will someone just hand me a job? No, but I can put the legwork in to do so.
That's the exact same feeling I got at the ASW. They do a lot of work to get you ready and to try to get you connections, but you aren't just going to be handed a job. And really, it's kinda hard to expect that outside of the big national guns. They don't seem to have too much trouble with students NOT getting jobs though.

ldarling87

New

Post by ldarling87 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:50 am

For those of you that got accepted: did your first news of acceptance come from the SBA?

It's odd because my status checker doesn't say DR. But, I got the congratulatory e-mail from the SBA and in just 3 weeks after I submitted my application. Kind of in disbelief here because my numbers are pretty bad.

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:47 am

For those of you who don't know, current L&C 2L.

I wanted to comment on the OCI issue.

Many students here do not really think much about OCI. I participated and had a few interviews, but no offers. OCI is not big here, and you really only have a decent chance at anything if you are a minority or top 10-15% (which I am, but still no offer - or callback). You really probably aren't going to get an OCI offer here (or Oregon or Willamette or Idaho or Gonzaga or Seattle or even probably Washington).

Networking isn't that hard. My recommendation is to do well in school (easier said than done), and be proactive in contacting the type of places you want to work for. A lot of them, from my experience, will give you a shot if you seem genuinely interested.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:16 pm

katjust wrote:For those of you who don't know, current L&C 2L.

Many students here do not really think much about OCI. I participated and had a few interviews, but no offers. OCI is not big here, and you really only have a decent chance at anything if you are a minority or top 10-15% (which I am, but still no offer - or callback). You really probably aren't going to get an OCI offer here (or Oregon or Willamette or Idaho or Gonzaga or Seattle or even probably Washington).

Networking isn't that hard. My recommendation is to do well in school (easier said than done), and be proactive in contacting the type of places you want to work for. A lot of them, from my experience, will give you a shot if you seem genuinely interested.
I was e-mailing last night with someone who graduated from L&C last year (May 2010) and still hasn't found a job. She said *most* of the people she graduated with have not found full time attorney positions yet and that the job market is very rough in Portland right now. She didn't tell me her rank or anything, but it really got me discouraged.

I also don't like how CSO clumps "JD Required" and "JD Preferred" into the same category because, let's face it, "JD Preferred"=doc review.

I have no problems trying to get a job on my own...I'll beat the block all day long w/ my resume, but I at least want to feel like there are jobs out there to be had. This girl made it seem like there weren't really any and that lots of attys from other (read: better) law schools and/or experience were migrating to Portland due to its high quality of life and taking jobs that could have gone to L&C grads.

metallaura

New

Post by metallaura » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:21 pm

I applied in January with a 160/3.78 and some C&F complications. I was admitted to Lewis and Clark but with no $$$. However, I noticed from their stats that they like older ppl and women... and I'm a 31yr old female. They probably also liked me because I'm a lesbian and Portland is the lesbian capitol of the US ;)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:25 pm

crit_racer wrote:

I was e-mailing last night with someone who graduated from L&C last year (May 2010) and still hasn't found a job. She said *most* of the people she graduated with have not found full time attorney positions yet and that the job market is very rough in Portland right now. She didn't tell me her rank or anything, but it really got me discouraged.

I also don't like how CSO clumps "JD Required" and "JD Preferred" into the same category because, let's face it, "JD Preferred"=doc review.

I have no problems trying to get a job on my own...I'll beat the block all day long w/ my resume, but I at least want to feel like there are jobs out there to be had. This girl made it seem like there weren't really any and that lots of attys from other (read: better) law schools and/or experience were migrating to Portland due to its high quality of life and taking jobs that could have gone to L&C grads.
(hoping this doesn't sound douchey...) Anecdotally, I will be aiming to bring my Northwestern-attending self home to Portland for summer and post-graduation jobs (although I am deferring a year so I'll be Class of 2015). The difference in employment prospects is what eventually scared me away from L&C, which I quite liked when I toured and sat in on a class. Your comment about grads from higher-ranked schools taking jobs in Portland is exactly the trend I'm hoping to benefit from. Sorry.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:

(hoping this doesn't sound douchey...) Anecdotally, I will be aiming to bring my Northwestern-attending self home to Portland for summer and post-graduation jobs (although I am deferring a year so I'll be Class of 2015). The difference in employment prospects is what eventually scared me away from L&C, which I quite liked when I toured and sat in on a class. Your comment about grads from higher-ranked schools taking jobs in Portland is exactly the trend I'm hoping to benefit from. Sorry.
Rankings/prestige are such an integral part of this site that I don't think we need to worry about offending anybody by admitting that some law schools are better than others. Most people here have done enough research to know where the law schools stand in relation to each other. Let's not beat around the bush...

If L&C had a stronghold over its market, I would not hesitate to attend even though it is less prestigious than some of my other options b/c I do love Portland so much. It just concerns me that L&C students seem like sitting ducks in an extremely desireable market that attracts students from T14 schools as well as experienced attorneys

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:37 pm

withdrawing monday.
hope someone still waiting gets my spot.
Good Luck all!!

hope11

New

Post by hope11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:17 pm

crit_racer wrote:

JESUS CHRIST! Are things this bad over there? This is indeed very discouraging considering how expensive L&C is and how little if any money they offer. I was still considering L&C but after this I might just take my business to the Midwest...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hope11

New

Post by hope11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:20 pm

girlonfire wrote:withdrawing monday.
Good Luck all!!
Withdrawing Monday as well...2 spots open :)

wokeemilo

New

Post by wokeemilo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:22 pm

hope11 wrote:
girlonfire wrote:withdrawing monday.
Good Luck all!!
Withdrawing Monday as well...2 spots open :)
me too - 3 spots now! plus freeing up $8,000/yr scholarship money. good luck!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:39 pm

hope11 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:

JESUS CHRIST! Are things this bad over there? This is indeed very discouraging considering how expensive L&C is and how little if any money they offer. I was still considering L&C but after this I might just take my business to the Midwest...
It's 1 girl's experience, so take it at face value. Like I said, she could have been well below median for all I know. I didn't want to bring up grades b/c I don't really know her and felt awkward asking her something that personal. I just thought I would throw that information into the mix. I would recommend doing as much research as you can on this topic, though.

mat2013

New

Post by mat2013 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:00 pm

All the information seems either anecdotal or gamed numbers. It's a scary proposition.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:15 pm

mat2013 wrote:All the information seems either anecdotal or gamed numbers. It's a scary proposition.
exactly

hope11

New

Post by hope11 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:18 pm

crit_racer wrote:
mat2013 wrote:All the information seems either anecdotal or gamed numbers. It's a scary proposition.
exactly
3 new spots open by Monday...let's seeing how many more are willing to give it up already...

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Was admitted today - for FALL 2012!!! The letter said, "...would like to offer you admission to Lewis & Clark Law School. Unfortunately, it has been a tremendously competitive year and our class is completely full at this time so our offer of admission is for the fall 2012 entering class. Right now, you are on our waitlist for fall 2011 and if space opens up we will inform you right away."

Does anyone know if the waitlist is tiered? For example, if I've already been accepted into the law school for the following fall, does that give me a better chance than someone who is just put on a general waitlist? Or is this L&C general waitlist? Is anyone else in this position?

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:42 am

I am seriously considering L&C, but now I'm wondering if I should have applied to U of Oregon. I keep hearing that L&C grads don't really have an advantage over Oregon grads when it comes to landing a job, and considering the difference in tuition......does anyone have any compelling reasons to attend L&C over Oregon?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fragged

Bronze

Post by fragged » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:44 am

Splintor49 wrote:Was admitted today - for FALL 2012!!! The letter said, "...would like to offer you admission to Lewis & Clark Law School. Unfortunately, it has been a tremendously competitive year and our class is completely full at this time so our offer of admission is for the fall 2012 entering class. Right now, you are on our waitlist for fall 2011 and if space opens up we will inform you right away."

Does anyone know if the waitlist is tiered? For example, if I've already been accepted into the law school for the following fall, does that give me a better chance than someone who is just put on a general waitlist? Or is this L&C general waitlist? Is anyone else in this position?
That is crazy! I've never heard of someone getting accepted for the following academic year.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:29 am

Splintor49 wrote:Was admitted today - for FALL 2012!!! The letter said, "...would like to offer you admission to Lewis & Clark Law School. Unfortunately, it has been a tremendously competitive year and our class is completely full at this time so our offer of admission is for the fall 2012 entering class. Right now, you are on our waitlist for fall 2011 and if space opens up we will inform you right away."
I don't know if the waitlist is ranked, but this is very strange. I've never heard of such a thing. I was held this year at L&C, so this adds a wrinkle -- how is the hold different from a waitlist / from a next year admission.

Also, since apps are down to a 10 year low, what is L&C doing to draw a tremendously competitive cycle?

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:43 pm

fragged wrote:I am seriously considering L&C, but now I'm wondering if I should have applied to U of Oregon. I keep hearing that L&C grads don't really have an advantage over Oregon grads when it comes to landing a job, and considering the difference in tuition......does anyone have any compelling reasons to attend L&C over Oregon?

U of O is not that much cheaper for non resident, 30K vs 36K...
And U of O is generally less generous with aid. If you're an oregon resident, it's a little cheaper (24K).

I know for me, U of O offered me significantly less aid, even though they are ranked quite a bit lower than L&C. So even given the tuition difference, L&C is still less expensive, for me.

katjust

Bronze

Post by katjust » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:58 am

The comment before me is right. U of O doesn't give much aid, but if you have no money to either school I suppose U of O is the better choice financially. Honestly, I don't know how the job market is in Portland, but that's because I have decided that I do not want to live here. I found it relatively easy to find a job out of state (but this is just 2L summer, not necessarily anything permanent yet). However, my grades may be better than the person referenced above who said "most" of her class hadn't found full time attorney jobs.

I think it is easy for people to blame those from out of state coming in an taking jobs (sound familiar?). Honestly, L&C is definitely the best represented law school in Portland among the attorneys in Portland(of course that makes sense). Getting a job in this economy is tough, and it is definitely tough in a state like Oregon which doesn't really value people having jobs (my personal jab at the state). The most true/important advice that I can give is that grades matter and networking matters. You can't just sit around and expect to be handed a job. L&C probably isn't in a worse situation than almost any similiarly ranked school in that regard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:16 am

katjust wrote:

I think it is easy for people to blame those from out of state coming in an taking jobs (sound familiar?). Honestly, L&C is definitely the best represented law school in Portland among the attorneys in Portland(of course that makes sense). Getting a job in this economy is tough, and it is definitely tough in a state like Oregon which doesn't really value people having jobs

THIS IS SO TRUE. Particularly the last sentence. Neither the government here nor the population at large really value jobs/CAREERS. The whole 'Portlandia' thing is true in a lot of respects. I know a lot of people (A LOT) who consider employment something that you only do enough of to pay for whatever the thing you like to do is. (ie, a LOT of people who figure out exactly how much they have to work to pay for basic bills and a ski season pass, and work not a minute more than required).
I also know a LOT of people who are unemployed and talk about how hard it is to find work in Oregon, but they aren't really LOOKING because they are on unemployment. ("I'll look when my benefits run out" is a frequent refrain, followed by "there are no jobs anyway".) Mmhm.
Meanwhile, a friend of mine moved here from Seattle, so she couldn't get unemployment in Oregon, she had a job at a bank in downtown Portland within 3 weeks. With no banking experience (but a college degree and good employment history otherwise). (She got the job through networking, btw...one person led to another led to another who was the VP of the branch. Boom. Job.)
I also hear a lot of people passing up jobs because the schedule doesn't allow them time for whatever the other thing they like to do is. (ski, music, theatre, art, whatever.)
If people from out of state are getting jobs more than locals, I think it's probably more to do with the effort the out of staters put into it, rather than some 'preference' for them over locals.
The culture in Oregon is also very entrepreneurial, so the general attitude is definitely more one of 'figure it out yourself' and 'start your own thing, make your own opportunity' as opposed to focusing on big-company hiring.

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:29 am

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=150681

Has anyone here looked at this data?

I am really tempted to go to L&C in the fall (partially for family reasons, as I grew up in Portland and love it), but man, this is terrifying.

9 months after graduation only 12% of graduates were known to be making above $63,000/yr.

It says that 42% of grads were in firms, about 10% were working in government, a few clerks, and with a bunch of people in "business" (starbucks?) and "academia" (hired back by the school, as career services admitted at ASW). It seems like even the grads who were lucky enough to get into the legal field are not getting paid to do it.

Now, if the situation is a bunch of grads got paid $50k/yr at these incredibly rewarding public service jobs, that would remedy this a bit, as I would not mind such a position. Still, their numbers on these charts seem to lag, even in comparison to other "T70" schools.

Thoughts?

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:07 pm

Considering L&C's largest draws are animal law, environmental law, and victim's rights advocacy (none of which I'd expect to pay well starting out) this doesn't really surprise or concern me. But I live here and I know how nonprofit oriented/crunchy granola a large percentage of people who live here are. I would be more surprised to see a large % of grads making over 100K a year. Not because the school is bad, but because making that kind of money is sort of antithetical to the Oregon ideal as a whole. If you make that kind of money here, you better a) be quiet about it or b) have made it providing shoes for african orphans or something.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:12 pm

yeah, the starting salary amount doesn't bother me at all. I've pretty mugh resigned myself to the fact that I'll be making 50k starting out. What does concern me is that a large portion of L&C grads aren't doing any type of legal work at all. I'm absolutely not willing to go through three years of law school only to be w/o a legal job after I graduate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”