Maryland 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:40 pm

hallertensie wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:
chiquita2201 wrote:That makes no sense unless the admissions office lied to me yesterday.
They are not admitting from waitlist until they are through with people who applied regularly and they are not done with those apps yet.
So....not sure what you are talking about with this facebook invite email.
Not to mention, Maryland doesn't email acceptances or call you...it's all through regular mail.


the "department" that deals with regular waitlists are different from the one that handles the PWL folks. I have reason to believe that the information you were told by admissions yesterday was for the regular waitlist, unless they were lying to you or the person didn't know what she was talking about. In fact, when I called, they told me that the people on PWL will receive a call first following an email, and didn't even mention ANYTHING about regular mail. So I was surprised in that I received an informal-ish email with a one liner that said congrats and inviting me to the fb group only because I was expecting a call first, but when I read your post that sounded like they were talking about the regular waitlist folks.

this is essentially because the people on the PWL are "unofficially" already accepted but just need available spots which would give them priority over regular waitlist folks who would technically need to wait until everyone else has had their shot first.



Lsatextreme, when did send in your app to maryland? Also, was the email an official acceptance, or was it just the fb invite (what did it actually say)?


i submitted mine on 1/13. I don't think the email was the official acceptance bc when I called a couple hours after the email just to make sure, I spoke with Assistant Director Katrin Hussmann and she told me my acceptance package will be sent out today and I have until next Fri (5/6) to pay my seat deposit. The email itself just had a one liner literally saying congratulations on your admission to university of maryland school of law and then the rest of the email was directions on how to join the fb group. I requested and was able to join a couple hours ago. I was expecting a call from them after that email this morning but when I didn't receive one for several hours, I just went ahead and called them just to make sure.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:42 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
hallertensie wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:
chiquita2201 wrote:That makes no sense unless the admissions office lied to me yesterday.
They are not admitting from waitlist until they are through with people who applied regularly and they are not done with those apps yet.
So....not sure what you are talking about with this facebook invite email.
Not to mention, Maryland doesn't email acceptances or call you...it's all through regular mail.


the "department" that deals with regular waitlists are different from the one that handles the PWL folks. I have reason to believe that the information you were told by admissions yesterday was for the regular waitlist, unless they were lying to you or the person didn't know what she was talking about. In fact, when I called, they told me that the people on PWL will receive a call first following an email, and didn't even mention ANYTHING about regular mail. So I was surprised in that I received an informal-ish email with a one liner that said congrats and inviting me to the fb group only because I was expecting a call first, but when I read your post that sounded like they were talking about the regular waitlist folks.

this is essentially because the people on the PWL are "unofficially" already accepted but just need available spots which would give them priority over regular waitlist folks who would technically need to wait until everyone else has had their shot first.



Lsatextreme, when did send in your app to maryland? Also, was the email an official acceptance, or was it just the fb invite (what did it actually say)?


i submitted mine on 1/13. I don't think the email was the official acceptance bc when I called a couple hours after the email just to make sure, I spoke with Assistant Director Katrin Hussmann and she told me my acceptance package will be sent out today and I have until next Fri (5/6) to pay my seat deposit. The email itself just had a one liner literally saying congratulations on your admission to university of maryland school of law and then the rest of the email was directions on how to join the fb group. I requested and was able to join a couple hours ago. I was expecting a call from them after that email this morning but when I didn't receive one for several hours, I just went ahead and called them just to make sure.


interesting.... i requested to join the group but was not able to do so

hallertensie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby hallertensie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:37 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
hallertensie wrote:
Lsatextreme, when did send in your app to maryland? Also, was the email an official acceptance, or was it just the fb invite (what did it actually say)?


i submitted mine on 1/13. I don't think the email was the official acceptance bc when I called a couple hours after the email just to make sure, I spoke with Assistant Director Katrin Hussmann and she told me my acceptance package will be sent out today and I have until next Fri (5/6) to pay my seat deposit. The email itself just had a one liner literally saying congratulations on your admission to university of maryland school of law and then the rest of the email was directions on how to join the fb group. I requested and was able to join a couple hours ago. I was expecting a call from them after that email this morning but when I didn't receive one for several hours, I just went ahead and called them just to make sure.


Interesting. They said they were going through the Preferred in order of application completion in the letter, and I definitely submitted before you (about 2 months earlier). I've been sending LOCI and things, so I guess I'll call and ask if there's any word/what standard they're using as they go through the list. Possibly they're doing a wave of acceptances, and haven't managed to send all the emails at the same time?

Did you do anything special besides LOCI and going to the receptions (if you went to them, etc) to express your interest?

chiquita2201
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby chiquita2201 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:43 pm

hey guys...

I stand corrected! I talked to admissions again and got a whole different story...

hallertensie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby hallertensie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:20 pm

chiquita2201 wrote:hey guys...

I stand corrected! I talked to admissions again and got a whole different story...



What are they telling you now? There seems to be a fair number of different responses coming out of admissions. I'm still waiting to hear back from them about some questions I asked, myself.

User avatar
IHaveLawyers
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby IHaveLawyers » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:40 pm

How does maryland notify? My status checker says "decision made" and they sent me a letter today.

save the world
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby save the world » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:48 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:How does maryland notify? My status checker says "decision made" and they sent me a letter today.



Snail mail only.

chiquita2201
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:16 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby chiquita2201 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Really, the admissions office is being kinda unclear...

I said that I had been told that they would not look at the waitlist until they were done looking at all applications submitted by April 1....and when I point blank asked this to be confirmed the answer was "Not necesarily...". So, really I did not get much of an answer and I guess they are just admitting people in whatever order they want.

I hate how the whole process is so secretive!!

saffire231
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby saffire231 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:43 am

My status ticker has also changed to Decision Made (I assume it's an acceptance, but have not yet received the letter)
PWL FT, in-state, 161, 3.3
I'm excited because UMB is my top choice

hallertensie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby hallertensie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:38 am

saffire231 wrote:My status ticker has also changed to Decision Made (I assume it's an acceptance, but have not yet received the letter)
PWL FT, in-state, 161, 3.3
I'm excited because UMB is my top choice


If you were put on the PWL prior to now, then your status checker should've changed to decision made at that time. Once it hits decision made I do not believe it changes again.

I also am not sure if the 1st and 2nd deposit lines were present two months ago or so (I think that they weren't), but I noticed them today on my checker. I might be wrong, though, since I haven't taken many notes about the status checker; I think it's pretty unimportant this deep into the admissions process.

Even so, I can now add my confirmation to the other 2 or 3 on the forum that note that admissions is moving on the PWL at last. Good luck to everyone.

@Chiquita2201: I think I mentioned this earlier, but they started looking at the PWL and the WL on the 18th. They weren't making decisions, but they were reviewing applicants and probably determining the order they would make offers in. They do have to review LOCI and other factors; I imagine that takes a fair amount of time. I was then told that they will try to reach the PWL people starting at the end of April and the beginning of May.

saffire231
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby saffire231 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:53 pm

hallertensie wrote:
saffire231 wrote:My status ticker has also changed to Decision Made (I assume it's an acceptance, but have not yet received the letter)
PWL FT, in-state, 161, 3.3
I'm excited because UMB is my top choice


If you were put on the PWL prior to now, then your status checker should've changed to decision made at that time. Once it hits decision made I do not believe it changes again.

I also am not sure if the 1st and 2nd deposit lines were present two months ago or so (I think that they weren't), but I noticed them today on my checker. I might be wrong, though, since I haven't taken many notes about the status checker; I think it's pretty unimportant this deep into the admissions process.

Even so, I can now add my confirmation to the other 2 or 3 on the forum that note that admissions is moving on the PWL at last. Good luck to everyone.

@Chiquita2201: I think I mentioned this earlier, but they started looking at the PWL and the WL on the 18th. They weren't making decisions, but they were reviewing applicants and probably determining the order they would make offers in. They do have to review LOCI and other factors; I imagine that takes a fair amount of time. I was then told that they will try to reach the PWL people starting at the end of April and the beginning of May.


You're right, I don't know what I was thinking. It will be more of the waiting game for me.

tmamusa19
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby tmamusa19 » Sun May 01, 2011 5:48 pm

So about this preferred waiting list.....

Did the waitlist letter say that specifically? Because I got waitlisted and on my letter it said that waitlist applicants aren't ranked...

By the way I've been HARASSING those people at the admissions office and I'm drafting up a LOCI to send. I wish there were some LOCI drafts that I could look at...the LOCI's that have been successful of course.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby red_alertz » Sun May 01, 2011 5:56 pm

yeah the preferred waitlist is specifically stated, you would know for sure if u were preferred, you can look up some sample LOCI's online and post urs here and we can critic for you

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby 2things2 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:53 pm

withdrew my app last week. loved the campus, loved the faculty, but i'm just not in love with the city and its a shame. i hope i don't regret this. and i realllly hope it helps out someone on the wait list!

save the world
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby save the world » Sun May 01, 2011 8:02 pm

2things2 wrote:withdrew my app last week. loved the campus, loved the faculty, but i'm just not in love with the city and its a shame. i hope i don't regret this. and i realllly hope it helps out someone on the wait list!


where did you decide to go? Congrats on deciding on a school.

User avatar
2things2
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:39 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby 2things2 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:59 pm

save the world wrote:
2things2 wrote:withdrew my app last week. loved the campus, loved the faculty, but i'm just not in love with the city and its a shame. i hope i don't regret this. and i realllly hope it helps out someone on the wait list!


where did you decide to go? Congrats on deciding on a school.

Temple.. for now. They gave me a nice little scholly and I'm in-state so its cheap as hell as is. I'm retaking the LSAT in June, so if I do well I'll consider taking a year off and reapplying to different schools, but if not I think I'll be content with Temple. I truly loved Maryland though (the facilities are just wow), and hovering around this thread makes me feel anxious that I messed up, but in the end Baltimore is not Philadelphia, and for me, as a Philly native, that was the deal breaker. But I'll still think about it, like that really hot girl you used to get with but gave up for that cute girl your mom liked.

SCJD2014
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby SCJD2014 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:46 am

Just got in off the waitlist!!!! Sent in a LOCI several weeks ago. Have until May 11th to put down a deposit

save the world
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby save the world » Mon May 02, 2011 9:50 am

SCJD2014 wrote:Just got in off the waitlist!!!! Sent in a LOCI several weeks ago. Have until May 11th to put down a deposit



:D Congrats! How did they notify you? What are your stats?

MDGirl
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby MDGirl » Mon May 02, 2011 11:49 am

Congrats!!!! Were you on the Pref. or Reg waitlist? When were you placed on the waitlist?
:D

kozmosis
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby kozmosis » Mon May 02, 2011 2:12 pm

i'm leaning towards withdrawing but i am going to visit in two weeks to make a final decision.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby lsatextreme » Mon May 02, 2011 2:42 pm

kozmosis wrote:i'm leaning towards withdrawing but i am going to visit in two weeks to make a final decision.


u already paid deposit and thinking about withdrawing? Where did you want to go instead

hallertensie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby hallertensie » Mon May 02, 2011 4:25 pm

SCJD2014 wrote:Just got in off the waitlist!!!! Sent in a LOCI several weeks ago. Have until May 11th to put down a deposit


Wow, they called you early (8:46 am)! If you don't mind, when did you apply?

SCJD2014
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby SCJD2014 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:19 am

hallertensie wrote:
SCJD2014 wrote:Just got in off the waitlist!!!! Sent in a LOCI several weeks ago. Have until May 11th to put down a deposit


Wow, they called you early (8:46 am)! If you don't mind, when did you apply?


I actually had a voicemail from Friday and called back as early as possible Monday morning to see what was going on. I applied in November, waitlisted sometime late February if I remember correctly.

kozmosis
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby kozmosis » Tue May 03, 2011 1:50 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
kozmosis wrote:i'm leaning towards withdrawing but i am going to visit in two weeks to make a final decision.


u already paid deposit and thinking about withdrawing? Where did you want to go instead


actually i received an extension where both of my deposits are due may 25th. this was because of the extremely quick turnaround between my acceptance and the first deposit due date. i explained i would be able to visit in early may and they granted me the extension.

i am leaning towards fsu at the moment but i am waitlisted at unc as well.

hallertensie
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 pm

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby hallertensie » Fri May 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Hey, I was wondering if anyone accepted off the PWL or WL could let me know when you applied, and when you received an offer from them (and stats, if you're willing to share). I'm trying to build an admitted PWL'd or WL'd profile for the class of 2014.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, Gaaooo, jtawil, kvnrogers, lg77, Nickel94, tlee13, XUMickeal and 19 guests