Maryland 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lsatextreme

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:45 pm

f*** UVa wrote:
Youcantstopsteel wrote:Accepted today off the reg waitlist. I was told by the dean that the majority of the pwl committed elsewhere and they are basically going straight to the reg waitlist

First and only post making an outrageous claim? Obviously a troll.

right? i knew it

hallertensie

Postby hallertensie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:17 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
f*** UVa wrote:
Youcantstopsteel wrote:Accepted today off the reg waitlist. I was told by the dean that the majority of the pwl committed elsewhere and they are basically going straight to the reg waitlist

First and only post making an outrageous claim? Obviously a troll.

right? i knew it

I spoke to admissions a few days ago. It's been 7 days since the deposit deadline, and they told me they haven't moved on the WLs yet. Youcantstopsteel is almost certainly trolling.

Splittinghairs might not be trolling. If he isn't, he's the first PWL to get a call from them (though admissions told me they usually don't start offering until late April/early May after the admissions committee finishes their review).

I wouldn't worry about the PWL yet. If they told you they were planning on starting to go over that list this upcoming Monday, then that's when they're starting. If you want absolute confirmation, I can shoot Dean Hose an email and find out what's up, but I don't know if I'd get a reply before next Monday, haha. Silly weekend.

splittinghairs

Postby splittinghairs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:30 pm

i realized that i prob shouldve mentioned that I applied for Part-time, so maybe when admissions says they havent taken ppl off pwl, they are referring to full-time pwl applicants

nit00

Postby nit00 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:59 pm

dariamorgendorffer wrote:Weird question I know, but anyone that has visited - is there an outdoor area to sit outside the school? Getting a little concerned about getting my dose of fresh air in Baltimore.

There's a decent sized courtyard in the middle of the school for those who want to get outside.

hallertensie

Postby hallertensie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:24 pm

splittinghairs wrote:i realized that i prob shouldve mentioned that I applied for Part-time, so maybe when admissions says they havent taken ppl off pwl, they are referring to full-time pwl applicants

Yeah, that would make sense of the discrepancy.

Congratulations!

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:55 pm

splittinghairs wrote:i realized that i prob shouldve mentioned that I applied for Part-time, so maybe when admissions says they havent taken ppl off pwl, they are referring to full-time pwl applicants

I am also a PT applicant, have not heard anything yet. What are your numbers

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:05 am

Ohh ok that makes perfect sense. Congrats! Hope to see you guys at Maryland

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:55 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/educa ... =education

Not that this has any bearing on any of your decisions, but this is interesting!

tchan4269

Postby tchan4269 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Terp2008 wrote:Maryland Class of 2014
Anyone committed to UMD for Fall 2011!!!

Yup

Talented URM

Postby Talented URM » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:09 am

The 30 mill investment probably doesn't hurt us... :)

Sherl08

Postby Sherl08 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 am

I have a question about the waitlist. I applied LATE (april 1) and the school sent me a letter on april 19th that I was waitlisted. The address sticker on the envelop had a "WLP" and the letter said they would start taking people off the waitlist in may. I heard that Maryland has a regular and preferred waitlist, is this true? If so, does the P in WLP stand for preferred? And would this even matter since I applied so late and they are starting to go through the waitlist now?

hallertensie

Postby hallertensie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:09 am

Sherl08 wrote:I have a question about the waitlist. I applied LATE (april 1) and the school sent me a letter on april 19th that I was waitlisted. The address sticker on the envelop had a "WLP" and the letter said they would start taking people off the waitlist in may. I heard that Maryland has a regular and preferred waitlist, is this true? If so, does the P in WLP stand for preferred? And would this even matter since I applied so late and they are starting to go through the waitlist now?

Maryland does have a regular and preferred waitlist. If you are on the preferred list, you will have received a letter that explicitly offers you the chance to be placed on that waitlist, and it will ask you to inform the school by returning the form to them that you wish to remain on the preferred waitlist.

If you received notice that did not explicitly indicate that you were on the preferred waitlist, then you are not on it.

chiquita2201

Postby chiquita2201 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:18 pm

I applied for regular admission on March 23 and am still waiting to hear back. After reading some of the stuff on this board I called the admissions office to clarify...

They normally get around 4,000 apps every year for day and evening combined. This is pretty much what they have gotten this year so the timing should be the same as it has been in the past. They will not look at the waitlist until all regular apps have been reviewed and decided on...and those seat deposit deadlines have passed. She said that historically they finish reviewing all regular apps by the second week in may. Then those people have a few weeks or so to make a seat deposit...then on to the waitlist.

They plan to have the class finalized by June 30 every year and at that point they will send a letter to all ppl on waitlist and let them know the class is full.

Hope the helps anyone. Waiting to hear is driving me nuts!

Master Blaster

Postby Master Blaster » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:35 pm

tchan4269 wrote:

Yup

Me too, just trying to figure out housing now

tchan4269

Postby tchan4269 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Master Blaster wrote:
tchan4269 wrote:

Yup

Me too, just trying to figure out housing now

i'm looking at fell's point and federal hill. what what....leaning towards the former but its expensive as balls....then again, i prob won't be getting away from that so...

Youcantstopsteel

Postby Youcantstopsteel » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:50 pm

Terribly sorry everybody. I posted my acceptance on the wrong thread. Good luck to you all

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 am

I received an email couple minutes ago congratulating me on my admission and inviting me to their FB group. I was on the PWL for full time, so it looks like they're starting to accept people now.

The email looked like the type that they would send you AFTER you've already received an official email that usually talks about your acceptance and all that, esp since this one was mostly about inviting me to the FB group and not so much about congratulating me lol, so I got the impression that maybe I'll get the official email/call later today?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:00 pm

lsatextreme wrote:I received an email couple minutes ago congratulating me on my admission and inviting me to their FB group. I was on the PWL for full time, so it looks like they're starting to accept people now.

The email looked like the type that they would send you AFTER you've already received an official email that usually talks about your acceptance and all that, esp since this one was mostly about inviting me to the FB group and not so much about congratulating me lol, so I got the impression that maybe I'll get the official email/call later today?

congrats man! wonder when mine will come

chiquita2201

Postby chiquita2201 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:55 pm

That makes no sense unless the admissions office lied to me yesterday.
They are not admitting from waitlist until they are through with people who applied regularly and they are not done with those apps yet.
So....not sure what you are talking about with this facebook invite email.
Not to mention, Maryland doesn't email acceptances or call you...it's all through regular mail.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 pm

chiquita2201 wrote:That makes no sense unless the admissions office lied to me yesterday.
They are not admitting from waitlist until they are through with people who applied regularly and they are not done with those apps yet.
Not to mention, Maryland doesn't email acceptances or call you...it's all through regular mail.

it's for the preferred waitlist, not the regular one

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:04 pm

chiquita2201 wrote:That makes no sense unless the admissions office lied to me yesterday.

the "department" that deals with regular waitlists are different from the one that handles the PWL folks. I have reason to believe that the information you were told by admissions yesterday was for the regular waitlist, unless they were lying to you or the person didn't know what she was talking about. In fact, when I called, they told me that the people on PWL will receive a call first following an email, and didn't even mention ANYTHING about regular mail. So I was surprised in that I received an informal-ish email with a one liner that said congrats and inviting me to the fb group only because I was expecting a call first, but when I read your post that sounded like they were talking about the regular waitlist folks.

this is essentially because the people on the PWL are "unofficially" already accepted but just need available spots which would give them priority over regular waitlist folks who would technically need to wait until everyone else has had their shot first.
Last edited by lsatextreme on Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Getting an email acceptance for PWL makes complete sense. When schools accept you off WL, they want you to commit as soon as possible b/c if you don't they can go on to someone else quickly. Snail mail wouldn't make sense in this situation.

As for the person who applied March 23, you applied pretty late so I wouldn't be surprised if they started accepting people off the WL or PWL before giving you a decision.

MDGirl

Postby MDGirl » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:19 pm

lsatextreme wrote:

the "department" that deals with regular waitlists are different from the one that handles the PWL folks. I have reason to believe that the information you were told by admissions yesterday was for the regular waitlist, unless they were lying to you or the person didn't know what she was talking about. In fact, when I called, they told me that the people on PWL will receive a call first following an email, and didn't even mention ANYTHING about regular mail. So I was surprised in that I received an informal-ish email with a one liner that said congrats and inviting me to the fb group only because I was expecting a call first, but when I read your post that sounded like they were talking about the regular waitlist folks.

this is essentially because the people on the PWL are "unofficially" already accepted but just need available spots which would give them priority over regular waitlist folks who would technically need to wait until everyone else has had their shot first.

I agree. The information she was giving you was for the regular waitlist. The PWL folksa re basically admitted and are just waiting for spots to open up. I am also on the regular waitlist and when I called, I received the same information you received.

eastcoaster09

Postby eastcoaster09 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:38 pm

chiquita2201 wrote:Not to mention, Maryland doesn't email acceptances or call you...it's all through regular mail.

Not true. I was on the preferred list last year and got a phone call a while before I got anything in the mail.

hallertensie

Postby hallertensie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:24 pm

lsatextreme wrote:

Lsatextreme, when did send in your app to maryland? Also, was the email an official acceptance, or was it just the fb invite (what did it actually say)?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”