Maryland 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ran12

Re: Maryland 2011 Applicants

Postby ran12 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 pm

ach24 wrote:
hallertensie wrote:@ach24: Isn't the seat deposit deadline tomorrow though (for the initial reservation)? It seems pretty strange that they'd send you the scholarship this late, unless you already sent in the initial deposit and were just waiting on deciding whether to withdraw or not... (Disclaimer: Not sure when the actual deposit deadline is this year). The application deadline was April 1st, as it was in year's past, and from my convos with the Deans I assume the deposit deadline is the 15th (as it was last year). So... I guess the question is, are they giving you one day to submit your reservation and grab the scholarship, cause that's just a little shady, imo.

I also recall it's a "received by" not "post-marked by" date, which I presume is still the same this year?

I have NOT submitted my deposit yet. I emphasized in my conversation with them how late in the game this is coming, too. The deposit must be received by the 15th. *shrug* I think it's awfully late, too.

If they didn't give you an extension considering it has to be in end of business tomo, it's pretty unfair. Idk if 18k a year would make Maryland worth it though.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:53 pm

Those on the Preferred Waitlist: let us know if you get a call yea?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:59 pm

i am expecting them to be within 3 hours

zahunter

Postby zahunter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 pm

ran12 wrote:
ach24 wrote:
hallertensie wrote:@ach24: Isn't the seat deposit deadline tomorrow though (for the initial reservation)? It seems pretty strange that they'd send you the scholarship this late, unless you already sent in the initial deposit and were just waiting on deciding whether to withdraw or not... (Disclaimer: Not sure when the actual deposit deadline is this year). The application deadline was April 1st, as it was in year's past, and from my convos with the Deans I assume the deposit deadline is the 15th (as it was last year). So... I guess the question is, are they giving you one day to submit your reservation and grab the scholarship, cause that's just a little shady, imo.

I also recall it's a "received by" not "post-marked by" date, which I presume is still the same this year?

I have NOT submitted my deposit yet. I emphasized in my conversation with them how late in the game this is coming, too. The deposit must be received by the 15th. *shrug* I think it's awfully late, too.

If they didn't give you an extension considering it has to be in end of business tomo, it's pretty unfair. Idk if 18k a year would make Maryland worth it though.

18K a year wouldn't make it worth it? 2L and 3L would be close to free and the first year less than in state tuition I believe after figuring in the scholarship.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:47 pm

zahunter wrote:
ran12 wrote:
ach24 wrote:

18K a year wouldn't make it worth it? 2L and 3L would be close to free and the first year less than in state tuition I believe after figuring in the scholarship.

Didn't know she was IS

zahunter

Postby zahunter » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:53 pm

She may not be in-state now but could be after the first year I assume.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:57 pm

zahunter wrote:She may not be in-state now but could be after the first year I assume.

asked a current student there, apparently it's near impossible to ever get in state tuition for out of state students. They must be really strict on their policies.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:40 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:42 pm

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

zahunter

Postby zahunter » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:09 am

ach24 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:
zahunter wrote:She may not be in-state now but could be after the first year I assume.

asked a current student there, apparently it's near impossible to ever get in state tuition for out of state students. They must be really strict on their policies.

Just to clarify: I don't know where 18k came from. I was offered 15k for the leadership scholarship. I am in-state, and I have already received notice that I qualify for the in-state rate. The 15k will bring tuition down to about 8k a year. I'm also up for senator and delegate scholarships, which could drive the price down even more.

In the end, I deposited. It was too cheap to turn down for a T1 school. I also have a great faculty contact there already, and I was hoping to be in either Maryland or DC.

Well congrats then!

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:56 pm

been a while, anyone PWLs receive that booty call yet?

splittinghairs

Postby splittinghairs » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm

got an email and then talked to admissions who said theyll be sending a packet for admission. was on pwl.

Maryland's Environmental Law makes them attractive, also doesnt hurt that they moved up a few spots firmly into tier 1
Last edited by splittinghairs on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:49 pm

splitting, sending you a PM!

dariamorgendorffer

Postby dariamorgendorffer » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Weird question I know, but anyone that has visited - is there an outdoor area to sit outside the school? Getting a little concerned about getting my dose of fresh air in Baltimore.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:18 pm

dariamorgendorffer wrote:Weird question I know, but anyone that has visited - is there an outdoor area to sit outside the school? Getting a little concerned about getting my dose of fresh air in Baltimore.

lol i haven't visited the campus yet but from the little that I know, I think there's the University Square Park just outside the law building, which I would presume some students may go to study there during the day? But I don't know if I would really call the air there "fresh air." I think you'd have better luck traveling a little further down to inner harbor for that fresh air.

Youcantstopsteel

Postby Youcantstopsteel » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Accepted today off the reg waitlist. I was told by the dean that the majority of the pwl committed elsewhere and they are basically going straight to the reg waitlist

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:47 pm

...are you serious? I mean congrats to you steel but I'm still on the PWL and I'm desperate to get in? I don't get what's going on, I haven't received so much a call/email and they're already writing us off as if they're done with the PWL list...

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:54 pm

Youcantstopsteel wrote:Accepted today off the reg waitlist. I was told by the dean that the majority of the pwl committed elsewhere and they are basically going straight to the reg waitlist

dude wtf, I call B.S on this! they have not even reviewed my file, i doubt they would be letting in off the regular wait list until at least reviewing all the apps.

Terp2008

Postby Terp2008 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:01 pm

Maryland Class of 2014
Anyone committed to UMD for Fall 2011!!!

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:28 pm

i called the admissions office and they said that they haven't made any offers yet so I don't know what's going on. They said they are going to review PWL candidates starting next Monday, and that everyone on the PWL will have a shot at a seat before they go through the regular WL candidates, so I don't really get what's going on if people have said they've received offers already or the claim that the majority of PWL have committed elsewhere?

You guys think they might be lying to preserve their stats so they can pick and choose who they want? Or are some people just trollin here...

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:59 pm

lsatextreme wrote:i called the admissions office and they said that they haven't made any offers yet so I don't know what's going on. They said they are going to review PWL candidates starting next Monday, and that everyone on the PWL will have a shot at a seat before they go through the regular WL candidates, so I don't really get what's going on if people have said they've received offers already or the claim that the majority of PWL have committed elsewhere?

You guys think they might be lying to preserve their stats so they can pick and choose who they want? Or are some people just trollin here...

Little of both. Some people on the PWL and WL might have more pull and therefore getting off earlier.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:22 pm

ran12 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:i called the admissions office and they said that they haven't made any offers yet so I don't know what's going on. They said they are going to review PWL candidates starting next Monday, and that everyone on the PWL will have a shot at a seat before they go through the regular WL candidates, so I don't really get what's going on if people have said they've received offers already or the claim that the majority of PWL have committed elsewhere?

Little of both. Some people on the PWL and WL might have more pull and therefore getting off earlier.

then I'm wondering why these more "alluring" candidates on the WL weren't on the PWL to begin with? And then why would they say in the PWL letter that all we need is availability in spots now because otherwise we're essentially "in"? How would we be guaranteed available spots if they were taking people off the WL first? Hell, we wouldn't even know if our spots were taken up by reg WL candidates instead and they just simply told us that it was full (no offense to those on reg WL). It just doesn't add up which is leading me to be quite suspicious of the guy's claims up there that said he got an actual acceptance off the reg. waitlist. Plus I'm not sure how the dean would know already that most of the PWL candidates are already committed elsewhere when I didn't even receive the call (along with many others that I know) and there's only one other person who was on the PWL here so far who says they got in.

Maybe I'm just all wrong and their admissions is just flat out lying to me about everything.

f*** UVa

Postby f*** UVa » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:27 pm

Youcantstopsteel wrote:Accepted today off the reg waitlist. I was told by the dean that the majority of the pwl committed elsewhere and they are basically going straight to the reg waitlist

First and only post making an outrageous claim? Obviously a troll.

fiupike24

Postby fiupike24 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Has anyone sent in more than 3 letters of recommendation? Did you send it directly to the school or LSAT assembly?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”